All reviews front desk buffalo wild wings metro station mile radius rooms are clean the shuttle driver three blocks orange line restaurants in the area the hotel staff within walking distance few blocks dc area business trip breakfast buffet per night the hotel offers
Reviewed April 2, 2008

I stayed here while on a business trip recently and was very disappointed particularly since I had stayed in a HI the night before in Charlotte, NC and had a great experience.

This hotel needs a lot of work and is quite expensive, certainly not worth the rate charged. The elevators are very old and you feel like you might get stuck. The rooms are old and worn and the towels are truly threadbare. The room was not clean and the heat was intermittent. I tried to buy some candy at the candy machine on my floor and it did not work. The clerk that checked me in seemed to be drunk as she had difficulty standing up and kept holding on to the desk and slurred her words. People always tell you to complain if you are dissatisfied when you first check into a hotel but in this case the only person at the desk was incoherent.

The breakfast at the restaurant was of good quality and the service was great. The morning desk clerk was polite and called a taxi for me.

In my opinion this is the type of facility that brings down the HI brand and makes you question if you want take a chance on them again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2008

This HI is way overpriced for what you get. It was clean, and the room was spacious. The shuttle driver was great. The location was convenient for my needs. That's the good stuff. However, as a Platinum Priority Club member, I was given a room facing the intersection of the main highway (N. Fairfax) and Rt. 66 - the traffic noise was significant. One of the "perks" of this level of loyality is being given the best room available - I can't imagine this was their best. However, the traffic noise was nothing compared to the one-speed-only fan in the heating/cooling unit that ran at a clip that would blow you over, and with a comparable noise level to go along with that. After my first night, I needed to buy earplugs. The fan worked great though, to dry, in minutes, a jacket that had gotten soaked in the rain. I did discover by night 2, that even on a cold night, the room did not get uncomfortably cool when I just turned the unit off for the evening.

Even with the hotel's written committment to save water by asking guests to re-use towels and sheets (which is fine and commendable), the facuet in the bathtub was leaking - not dripping, but leaking water that filled the ice bucket in about an hour - I needed some context to explain to them how badly it was leaking! I called the front desk my first night there and asked that it be fixed the next day. It took two days and two more requests. And, they use those stupid water saver shower heads that spray water all over, forcing me to take a longer shower than normal because I never feel like I got rinsed off properly, defeating the whole purpose of water saving.
Finally, each of my three days started with a lukewarm shower. I consider myself lucky, though, as on my last day there, the front desk was deluged by other lodgers complaining of either no hot water or no water at all. Although the front desk staff apologized, it would have been a nice customer service touch to offer free drink/appetizer/cup of coffee/something coupons to those inconvenienced. Having no hot water or no water at all is actually a bit more than an inconvenience, isn't it? For $275, I'd expect water, and hot water too, wouldn't you?
The bad news for those of us on a moderate expense account is that the other 2 hotels in the immediate vicinity are even more expensive, but I'm sure the new Westin is nicer.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2008

I stayed here during a business trip in November. It is a large hotel and runs efficiently. It does not offer anything special in the way of business facilities - there is free internet access in the bedrooms if you have your own laptop, otherwise pay for using the PC in the lobby area. Rooms are comfortable - not too spacious but with all the furniture you need. The location is great if you are conducting business in the Ballston/Arlington area. There is a subway stop very close to the hotel and there is a good shopping mall with movie theater and lots of restaurants within an easy 10-12 minute walk. If you don't feel like walking, the complimentary Holiday Inn shuttle will drop you off at a recommended local restaurant and pick you up when you call them. The driver is very friendly and helpful. The price is high unless you can negotiate corporate rates so it might not be considered good value if you are paying for yourself

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2007

We held a NSF sponsored conference here with 77 attendees. We were told to fax a completed reservation form to the hotel directly to book a room. I did this and followed up with a call to the hotel. They did not have my reservation on check in. And the check in clerk treated me totally unprofessionally and like an idiot. I was told that I should not have contacted the hotel via fax. The hotel was fully booked (probably by us), and I was thrown into a substandard smoking room. The room smells really bad. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

The Internet connections here are unreliable.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank QQ1234
Reviewed October 26, 2007

Stayed one overpriced night at the Holiday Inn when my first choice wasn't available the first night of my stay. Extremely thankful I had
another place to go, once I discovered what a dated, dirty place it was. OIder looking carpets. Basic hotel room, with ugly bed spread. Small bathroom, noisy a/c, and way overpriced at over 250 a night. Will not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007