“good business hotel”

Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
los angeles, ca
“good business hotel”
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Because I was taking part in a meeting also being held at the hotel, I didn't even leave the premises for almost 3 days. In that time, I was very impressed by the high level of service and attention provided by the staff. When we needed extra chairs for our meeting, they were immediately brought. When I needed a non-feather pillow, it was brought to my room within ten minutes, with a follow-up call to make sure it had arrived. Similar experiences with the food service - both with regards to the business catering and the room service.

The room itself was nicely appointed and very clean. Lots of feather pillows - if you like them - and if you don't, they will provide foam pillows. The air-conditioner was reasonably quiet for the typical hotel fan-coil system - although I still ended up shutting it off at night so I could sleep. I think one of the other reviews mention the lack of mini-fridge and in-room safe - and I would echo their remark that the lack of these increasingly common amenities was somewhat surprising. Ditto the high cost of WiFi - $10.95 for 24 hours. It seems that the more you pay for hotels, the less you get these days. Why is that?

I would recommend this hotel for business, but for vacationers it might be a bit lacking in character and interest.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank cal_traveler2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Oslo
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Very comfortable Hilton hotel in a great location if visiting Washngtin DC. Recenty stayed here for 7 nights for what was on the whole a very pleasant stay. The best rate I found was on the hotel's own web site (advance pre-paid rate).

If flying into National airport, very straightforward to get to hotel via the easy to use metro system. Note that you should only use the metro if you are easily able to carry all of your luggage - you will need to make one interchange and navigate a few escalators. The hotel entrance is vitually at the top of the escalator once you leave the Metro at the Balston stop on the orange line. Just walk straight into the Balston Metro Center and the hotel entrance is right there.

The double bed sized room was vey spacious with adequately sized bathroom. Very comfortable bed with 5 pillows. If you suffer from any kind of feather allergy then make sure that you request non-feather pillows. Fair sized flatscreen TV with large number of free TV channels and the usual offering of pay per view. The AC was easy to control (and essential for any stay during the summer months), but could be very noisy. I have stayed at other hotels where the AC is much more discrete but equally as effective.

Other facilities in the room included the welcome tea/coffee making facilities and the tea/coffee always topped up every day. Notable by its abscence were the inroom safe and mini-bar. I always find the mini-bar useful, not for the overpriced contents, but having somewhere to keep your own water/pop supplies chilled. High speed wifi internet is available in the room, but this costs extra. At $10.95 for 24hrs the cost is reasonable. Note that there is free wifi access in the hotel lobby.

Checkin was quick and friendly. The only kink in the otherwise helpful and friendly service was when I asked about booking a taxi to National airport. I was handed the business card of a local limo service and told to go book myself. No big deal, but in my experience most hotels will offer to book a taxi for you. Found out afterwards that there is a taxi waiting area just outside the hotel's"other" entrance.

The restaurant adjoining the hotel offers a fair priced buffet breakfast, with good selection of hot and cold foods, cereals, fruits...etc. Alternative breakfast choices included a Starbucks and bistro/cafe adjoining the hotel and a 24hr IHOP just across the street. One point worth noting on eating out. The sales tax in DC for restaurant meals is 10%. In Virginia this is only 5%

Accessing downtown DC is a direct 15-20 mins metro ride away, with the Smithsonian stop on the same metro line. Arlington Cemetry requires one interchange. Only two blocks from the hotel, accessible via covered walkway, is the Balston Common Shopping Mall which offers a fair selection of shops, eateries, a Macy's and a cinema multiplex. For more upmarket shopping there's The Fashion Center at Pentagon City shopping mall, a short metro ride away.

I would definitley consider staying here again on any furture visit to DC and wouldn't hesitate recommending to anyone else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank gmhaggis
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, July 7, 2009
Your note about tax rates will definitely help other travelers. You also saved quite a lot on your hotel room, because hotel tax is only 10.25% in Arlington, Virginia, instead of 14.5% in Washington.

There is not much I can add to your comprehensive review. You have given a step-by-step guide to booking and enjoying your stay in the Washington DC area at the Hilton Arlington. Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to provide a review.

Tri State area
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Completely lucked out when I booked this hotel online (found out name after booking). Hotel location is steps away from Metro (Orange line) which was a top consideration when planning this trip to DC. Hotel parking fee was steep ($17 daily) so parked at Ballston Mall parking garage for $8 daily Mon-Fri and $1 on Sat and Sun. No problem leaving car consecutive days without moving it. Mall is connected to hotel and metro station via a Skywalk so never had to go outside.

Appreciated the 'No Smoking' feature this hotel offers. Room was a decent size with a standard bathroom (no exhaust fan but steam disappeared quickly). Beds were extremely comfortable (better than mine at home!) with 4 pillows per bed. Flat screen TV was great. Air conditioning easy to control but a tad bit noisy. One maintenance issue was handled within minutes of call. One weird thing: the windows have 2 sets of curtains: sheers that extend the entire width of the window and heavier drapes in front - but the drapes do not cover entire window! There's a large gap that lets the light in daily. Fortunately we are sound sleepers so it didn't bother us.

There's an I-Hop across the street and a coffee shop steps from the hotel lobby. We had breakfast at both places during our stay. Lots of other eating places in the immediate area plus at the mall.

There were two computers with free Internet for guests to use which was ideal when needing to quickly check email and look up information online. Joel from Cuba was the concierge who helped guests when I was there and he was great. We would like to recognize Tim Fraiser, the front office supervisor, for superior customer service. He made sure we obtained a boarding pass on Southwest Airlines 24 hours in advance while we were a few miles down the road touring Mount Vernon, unable to access the Internet.

When returning to DC, I will book here again. It's a great hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
We like to think all our guests are “lucky” to have found us also.

Parking in Arlington, while much cheaper than Washington DC, is not inexpensive. You’ve shared a great secret with Trip Advisor readers who don’t mind walking a couple blocks. We would like to share with you that the rooms have black out drapes, but they can be hard to find. They are actually hiding behind the window shears, next to the window.

Thanks for the A+. Summer school is in session, and we’re always looking for good grades

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed June 24, 2009

4 night stay for business. Room was clean and comfortable. Two small maintenance issues were handled quickly by the staff. The fitness center is small but nicely done. The exercise machines were in very good shape. The location above the Metro station makes it easy to get around.
There are a number of good restaurants, bars and shops within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
HiltonArlington, Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, July 7, 2009
We appreciate the four C’s: clean, comfortable, courteous, and convenient.

Thanks for mentioning the nearby restaurants. While we would love if every guest would try out our Dan & Brad’s Restaurant, we know that is not always possible. Among our staff, we love Uncle Julio’s Rio Grande Café for great Tex-Mex, Willow for a fine dining experience without attitude, and P.F. Chang's. Our front desk has a great list of nearby restaurants and a special map. Of course, our favorite will always be Dan & Brad’s.

--Matthew Stone, Director of Sales & Marketing
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Traveling for business, stayed at the Hilton because the Westin was booked. When I got to my room, the AC was not working. Called the front desk and an engineer came within 10 minutes to fix it. When it couldn't get fixed, they upgraded me to another room.

When I checked out the next morning, they took $50 off my rate for the inconvenience. Now that, was NICE.

The hotel is connected to a sky walk that takes you to the Ballston Mall. On a rainy day like today, it was worth it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Thanks for giving us a chance when another hotel was full. We hope we will be the first choice next time you come to town! We can’t promise all guests $50, but we are glad that helped with the inconvenience. Our engineering service standard is to address any concerns as quickly as possible, and we are glad we exceeded your expectations.

Renfrew, Pa
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We stayed at the Hilton Arlington - Ballston in early April 2009 for a short trip to the Smithsonian for a few days around Easter. The location was excellent. We parked in the garage and left the car there for three days. We took the metro, right outside the hotel entrance, to the Smithsonian museums. It took about 15 - 20 minutes. Great restaurants within walking distance. I highly recommend the Matsutake Hibachi Steak & Sushi, Steakhouse right outside the hotel. Our six year old son loved the restaurant. The staff at the restaurant were very nice to our son and made the trip memorable. There are lots of bagel shops and there's an IHOP across the street.

The skywalk to the Ballston was very convenient - lots of shopping and restaurants. In the evening, we walked to mall, without going outside, to do some shopping. The hotel staff was excellent. They were very friendly, helpful, and professional. We asked for directions to a nearby restaurant and the Hilton staff member walked us down the street near the restaurant so we wouldn't miss it.

I didn't mind the $17 a day for parking. It was worth not driving around DC. The metro is right outside the front door. You can't beat the location. Everything is in walking distance. The Smithsonian was very crowded (Easter weekend), but we enjoyed it. We'll stay at the Hilton Arlington for our next stay. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Whether you are arriving from Renfrew, PA or New York, I don’t think anyone comes to DC wanting to drive in the city. I’m happy you found the Hilton Arlington and its great convenience without having to hop in a car. We also love the convenience and variety of our restaurants here in the Ballston neighborhood. Matsutake is also one of our favorites for its great lunch sushi buffet & entertaining hibachi chefs. It’s definitely fun for the kids. If you like to see chefs in action, we also recommend another affordable restaurant called Vapiano, where they cook the pastas & pizzas for you while you watch.

Unfortunately, you can’t do much to avoid the crowds in Washington DC when you come for a visit on a holiday weekend, but you may not know that you can make advance timed reservations online for some of the most popular attractions, including the International Spy Museum and the Washington Monument, if you book early enough.

New York City
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Stayed at the Hilton Arlington in Mid-November 2008. Chose this property primarily due to a
very reasonable rate at the time as well as the location right above the Ballston stop on the
metro Orange Line. Took approx. 15 minutes to from Reagan National Airport and around the
same time to get to the Foggy Bottom Metro Station (nearest to Kennedy Center, and around
10 to 15 minute walk to Georgetown from there).. For Downtown DC an additonal 5-minute ride from Foggy Bottom to Metro Center. I must add that the hotel is also connected by covered walkways to the Ballston Common Mall where you will find many shops and restau- rants (including Rock Bottom Brewery- (excellent for both food and prices). Downside is that it is a bit of a walk to the mall itself, but take your time and you'll be fine. So you can access all you need including the Metro without stepping outdoors, a perfect solution to all kinds of weather.

The hotel was under renovation at the time, but for that it was very quiet and clean with nothing lost in efficiency of the staff. In fact I would like to single out Managers Alfonso and
Michael and also Ramona at the front desk for flawless and friendly persoanal service for the
various needs I had during my stay both in and out of the hotel.

It was true as per other reviews that the hotel did not have a fitness center or a business centerer; however these should be completed as of this writing. Indeed, I was allowed to use the computer at the concierge desk to check my E-mails, a nice touch which was much appreciated! As to the fitness center, I did not really miss it as I got plenty of exercise during my DC sightseeing every day.

The rooms (like the public spaces) were furnished in a pleasant modern style with warm and soothing browns and burgundies with all the creature comforts for a comfortable stay.My room had a 32' flatscreen TV, a chair and ottoman so deep and comfortable that was hard to
get out of (literally, but please don't take that negatively!), a great Cuisinart coffee maker with
pre-packed single brew Lavassa coffee bags (sooo.. convienient for my morning coffee) and
a beautiful (though not too large) bathroom with high-end amenities. I had only one unpleasant
incident on the Saturday night of my week-long stay due to a group of young people making
excessive noise overnight in a room down the hall. I immediately notified security who handl-
ed the situation promptly and according to the Michael, the Manager they were given a stern
warning in regard to the above and he (Michael) awarded me an extra 5000 HHonors points
for my inconvieniece. This however, was the only negative occurence during my stay which
could honestly happen anywhere - I do greatly appreciate the way the situation was handled,
however.

I had dinner one night at the in-house restaurant, Dan and Brad's Steakhouse. While some-
what expensiveI the meal was excellent with attentive service from start to finish (from a very nice young lady from Central or South America - unfortunately I can't remember her name) and would highly recommend it. The breakfast buffets were also delicoius with plenty of hot and cold items to choose from - a welcome start for the day!

So in closing I would recommend the Hilton Arlington for those looking for an elegant and comfortable hotel for exploring DC. I have noticed that the rates have risen considerably with
the close of renovations, but if I can, I would not hesitate to consider this hotel for my next vi-
sit and neither should you.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, April 28, 2009
We appreciate your comprehensive review. The fitness center and business center have been completed. Michael was our Manager of the Year for 2007, and Alphonso has been Associate of the Month twice. It is clear that they (and all our associates) show a commitment to our guests’ happiness. Our rates vary, with discounted rates on weekends and for week-long stays, so we hope you check back and stay with us again.