“Very nice and great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Arlington

Hilton Arlington
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Arlington
New York City
“Very nice and great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

The Hotel was very nice. It was great having the Metro right outside the hotel entrance. There were many resturants nearby which you could walk to, The room was large, clean, and had alot of towels and nice tolietries. My only complaint is that Wi-fi should be free of charge, I have stayed in several Hiltons where it was complimentary. I would definetly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
HiltonArlington, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, December 19, 2008
Thanks for your kind comments. You can't get any closer to the Metro than our hotel, since we're only 27 steps away. I have eated at dozens of restaurants in walking distance, and we are lucky to have such a variety of cuisines nearby. Many of them are attached by skywalk, which is great on rainy days.
--Mark Driscoll, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

This was my second stay at the Hilton Arlington in a year, and yet, staff like Henry (bell hop) and John (the bartender) remembered me and welcomed me back. I (and a large meeting group) stayed at the hotel on business from September 25 – 29, 2008.

On my first visit in September 2007, the hotel had a major air conditioning meltdown where entire floors had no a/c. Efforts were made to move those affected and coupons were handed out for complimentary meals at Dan and Brads. This year the a/c problems were more sporadic.

Despite the physical issues such as the extensive renovations going on and the a/c issues, I believe that the Hilton Arlington’s friendly and helpful staff more than make up for the minor annoyances. As in the past, every staff I encountered was helpful and welcoming. From Blanca, the housekeeper who cleaned my room; to Stephanie and Alphonso at the front desk; to John and Desmond at the bar and even Julio who assisted with my many meeting-related requests, all tried to help me, and they did it with a smile.

I was placed in a 4th floor room that was a bit musty smelling on walking in. Since I always travel with my Yankee Candle stuff, periodic sprays made the odor less noticeable. The room had the usual suspects – large flat screen tv; large comfortable bed with a variety of pillows to suit most pillow preferences (I travel with my own ergonomic one everywhere); lounge chair and ottoman; work desk and chair; small bench; dresser; closet and fairly large bathroom that was kept supplied with towels each day.

My room on the 4th floor was hot. Unfortunately for me, it took me a couple days to realize it was a continuing problem. Since I spent so little time in my room during the day when the sun was out, it was hard to tell that the a/c was not working because the a/c was turned off after my room was cleaned and so it was not really unusual to walk into a stuffy room. Since the sun had gone down by then, my room was cooler than it was during the day. By the time I realized that my room was failing to cool down and had maintenance come up, I only had two nights left on my stay. I was given the option to move, but with only two nights left I didn’t want to pack up and move to another room. The hotel did remove my 4 days of Internet use from my bill to compensate. They did this without a request on my part, which I thought was a good gesture.

The a/c issue was a minor one for me because I was staying at the hotel on business. However, if I were on vacation and paying top dollar, it would be a major thing. I would say after you check in, make sure that you’re a/c unit is working properly. It’s much easier to move if there is a problem before you unpack and settle in.

The hotel elevators were pretty efficient, although I primarily used the one nearest my room that stopped on the mezzanine level where the meeting rooms are. I rarely used the elevator closest to the front desk.

Pros:
• Very good and convenient meeting facilities. Food service/catering was excellent as always.

• The hotel is very conveniently located right above the Ballston Metro, with direct access to Ronald Reagan Airport and downtown DC.

• Friendly, helpful staff.

• There are lots of good restaurants nearby. I have only had bar food from Dan and Brads (in hotel), but what I did have was good. I’ve never had a sit-down meal there, however.

• The hotel has a very nice (although small) VIP lounge (available to those on the concierge 7th floor) that serves a more than adequate continental breakfast 7 days a week, as well as snacks most evenings even on Sunday afternoons. For breakfast there was always juices, coffee, tea, pastries, bread for toast, cereal, fruit, eggs, pancakes etc. For evening snacks there was always free soft drinks, fruit, cheese, hot pastry and beers for $2, I believe.

• Fairly large hotel room for the DC area.

Cons:
• Continuing a/c problems in rooms and in hotel hallways which were sometimes stuffy. Hopefully, once the renovations are done, these issues will be mere memories.

• Continuing hotel renovations.

• Musty odor in my room.

• No in-room safe. It would be nice to have a safe to leave valuables such as my laptop when I was gone from my room.

• Expensive Internet service at $10.95 per 24 hour period.

All in all, if you go to the Hilton Arlington expecting high end Hilton amenities then you will likely be disappointed. If what you require is a conveniently located hotel with friendly, knowledgeable staff and adequate amenities then you will likely be pretty pleased with the value that Hilton Arlington offers. I am already looking forward to my next visit in September 2009.

Feel free to email me with any specific questions about the hotel or the DC area in general. Have a great trip to the DC area wherever you decide to stay.

• Liked — Friendly staff; everything was conveniently located; VIP lounge
  • Disliked — Hot room; hot hallway; expensive Internet; musty odor; no in-room safe
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank trinigirlmd
We truly appreciate your comprehensive review. Our employees are always the highlight of a stay at the Hilton Arlington, and our long-term all-stars like Hnery, John, Blanca, & Julio keep guests like you coming back again and again. You will be pleased to know that we are days away from opening our expanded executive lounge (3 times larger than the one you experienced). Don't worry--moving the lounge won't affect the quality of the service or the great food.
Brasilia, DF
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

This was my second stay at Hilton (first was the perfect Hilton Nordica) and as the Hotel is under refurbishment work some constrains may happen, but the staff is a must and promptly compensates any problem that may arise.

The rooms are a bit odd, no in room fridge, and during my stay 1 (out of 2) elevator was broken for 2 days.

Room sizes are nice and overall cleanliness is ok if you don't care that much for it.

For the price and limited service at least internet should be complimentary.

Location is perfect, closest to metro, buses lines, shopping and Arlington or DC attractions.

• Liked — Staff members and location.
  • Disliked — Bad price relation.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
We were disappointed that we were not able to aprovide a perfect stay, yet we are thankful that you noticed the can-do attitude of our staff. Regarding the refurbishment of the hotel, our new ballrooms opened in August 2008, the fitness center opened in December 2008, and the executive lounge will be completed by the first week of January 2009, so you have a lot to look forward to on your next visit!
Berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

This hotel was worth the money we paid. Although we had pets with us, our room was clean and everything laid out beautifully. It was what you would expect in an upscale hotel, (excellent service, friendly staff, beautiful facility, dining facility, room service; most importantly, the suite was clean. After our previous Hilton experience in Knoville, we had stepped into luxury.

• Liked — My suite
  • Disliked — Valet Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
We appreciate your business, and we are glad you enjoyed our pet-friendly policy. We love dining in our Dan & Brad’s restaurant, and we are happy you could join us for a meal to experience it for yourself.
tarepanda1
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

I stayed here in December of 2007. I booked my room on hilton.com and prepaid for the room. One day I was looking through my credit card records and realized that they charged me for the room twice during different billing cycles (Dec 2007 and Jan 2008).

I called my credit card and disputed one of the charges. During the next few months, I got called three times by my credit card company saying that Hilton refuses to back down on the charges and asked me to submit additional evidence that the charges were invalid. The last time my credit card company called, they told me that Hilton says one of the charges is for the room under my name and the other for a room under a different name. A name I've never heard of.

I don't know if they did this intentionally or by mistake, but the whole thing demanded at least 10 hours of my time doing/sending in paperwork, being on the phone/on hold, etc.

I would never ever stay at this hotel again and probably would never stay at a Hilton again.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank tarepanda1
We are definitely distressed to hear of your concerns. While we are not certain how this could happen, we have reviewed your issues with our on-site accounting team to ensure this does not happen again.
Palm Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

I used to live in Arlington, so in coming back to visit the area I was very familiar with this hotel, but had never stepped foot in it. On first arriving, I was a little thrown off by the tiny lobby. But the room was very nice and generously sized. The staff was very nice and welcoming as well. The amenities were very good as well, and the location is great if working/vacationing in Arlington. Metro is very close by for getting downtown. I thought the breakfast buffet was very good and reminded me a lot fo what you see over seas. Definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again in the future.

Stayed June 2008
We are not surprised that you enjoyed our hotel, and we appreciate your business. Our hotel was built with a European-style small lobby; however the rooms are definitely large (especially when compared to other hotels in Washington, DC). As you noticed, the Hilton Breakfast in Dan & Brad’s Restaurant is a definite highlight of a stay here, and its second floor location is an oasis from the excitement of the city around us.
Monroe, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

Stayed at the Hilton Arlington in June 2008 for conference in the area. Hotel was very expensive but heck, it is Arlington. You are going to pay wherever you stay. This was not the nicest hotel in terms of facilities but probably the nicest staff I've ever met. We were here for four days and there was never a time that we didn't meet a staff member that they didn't speak, ask us if everything was okay, and make us feel like they appreciated us being there.
My room wasn't ready when we arrived but it was very early. They apologized and stored my bags. Upon returning, the staff insisted that I visit the VIP lounge before going to my room. In fact, they provided access to the lounge for the entire visit based upon making me wait three hours for the room to be ready. Anyway, they were amazingly nice. They took care of the details. My key card deactivated one day but again, it was my fault. I left it in the same pocked with my cell phone and I knew better. Not only did they activate my key, they had a staff member accompany me to my room just to make sure the key would work and it wasn't a problem with the equipment. Needless to say, the location was great next to teh Metro Station. A great mall is a block away and many restaurants are within walking distance. Very nice visit.

• Stayed June 2008
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Your comments are appreciated. We are making constant improvements, and our facilities have been upgraded since your last visit, including new flat panel TV’s in all rooms, a new executive lounge and new on-site fitness center. Our staff is truly concerned about ensuring our guests’ satisfaction, and I am pleased that you noticed their sincerity.