“Great location, nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Arlington

Hilton Arlington
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Orlando, Florida
“Great location, nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

Upon pulling up to the hotel I was expecting valet parking or something similar. Not. We were greeted at our car by a very nice man who has worked there for 20 something years. He was helpful and friendly and told me to leave my bags with him, and keep the car right where it was. After checking in, I could put the car in the garage. Check in was very quick since we were the only ones there. The lobby is small but functional with coffee offered. After checking in we got into our car and drove down the driveway to the right side. Right there is the hotel's parking garage which is underground. It is very, very small under there, and here I was in this huge SUV rental. Parked the car. It is kind of weird down there... Tight turns and a very loud fan if you end up parking in a certain location. Can't remember what I paid per night. Personally I do not care for parking in places like this. The room was quiet with a view onto the street below. Nothing too exciting to comment on with the room, except that it looked like it was old (from the ceiling), but it did have newer furniture, and it was spotlessly clean. I did eat at the restaurant for breakfast which was included with my HHonors membership. It is a buffet with lots of hot cooked to order options. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from a 24hr IHOP on one side and if I remember correctly Wells Fargo Bank on the other. There is a full serve starbucks location and a deli food place just outside the back entrance. A couple of blocks away is the Ballston Mall with two gorgeous ice arenas where the Washington Capitals hockey team practices. There is also a Macy's and a few smaller stores. Nothing too great about this mall except for the ice arena. I was on business and had to stay at the hotel, i.e., it wasn't my choice. Didn't take the metro but heard it was very close by.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
HiltonArlingtonVA, Director of Sales at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Thank you for your review and for being a loyal Hilton Honors member! It seems that you had the pleasure of meeting Henry, our veteran bellman of 20+ years. We are very fortunate to have such accomplished staff members on the Hilton Arlington team. We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the Hilton Arlington in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at the Arlington Hilton on a Friday night. It's very, very convenient to the Orange Line Metro and very close to the Ballston Mall as well as other restaurants. Noise levels were normal and cancelled out once I turned on my white noise generator. The check-in/check-out process was very easy and the staff were great.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Arlington for your recent visit. We appreciate your business and the time you took to provide us with your comments. Weekends are the best time to take advantage of our low weekend rates. I will be sure to share your comments on the ease of your check-in/out process at the Hilton Arlington with our Front Desk Team.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed here one weeknight in March 2012. The rate was $200/night (not cheap)! Unfortunately, I was put in a room right near the elevator. This made it a little bit louder especially as guests said good night to each other in this commons area. The room was clean and comfortable. The location of the hotel is great, especially if you're travelling with the Metro. The metro station is literally beneath the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 325 if you want peace at night.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HiltonArlingtonVA, Director of Sales at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you for staying with the Hilton Arlington! We appreciate your business and feedback. March was certainly a busy month for us at the Hilton Arlington, and are glad that you were able to find availability for your recent stay. We are able to extend more attractive rates for guests who can be flexible with their dates and/or length of stay. We are pleased to hear that you found our location to be ideal for guests traveling by Metro. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

This hotel looks like(and acts like) it depends on people who are there for government business and who are reimbursed at the government per diem rate. That the rack rate would be even more boggles the mind. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on 14th St in DC and it is amazing that these two hotels are owned by the same corporation. We stayed here for the convenience, next time we'll stay in DC and take the Metro(15 minutes)

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
1 Thank raiatea5
Thank you for your business and your feedback. Our rates do vary depending on the availability, demand, and length of stay. While we are located in the heart of many Corporate and Government Business, we do try to accommodate guests requiring the Government Per Diem Rate. Often times, when there is a huge demand for rooms (either because of a city-wide event, or other local event), it will impact our rates. However, we are able to offer more attractive rates to guests who can be flexible with their dates, length of stay.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We were traveling with two young children (6 years old) and wanted a hotel that was close to the Metro so the little feet wouldn't get too tired. The Hilton fit the bill - you are literally right above the Orange line (which is very convenient for sightseeing in DC). The hotel was running a special, we were on the Executive floor which included breakfast and snacks/drinks. If I had to pay the $70 for 4 people to eat the breakfast buffet - I would not have been happy. It was pretty lame. But, for free it was a good deal!

The staff was very friendly and I felt safe. Was I blown away by the hotel? No, it was average. But, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the location to the Metro can't be beat. I feel comfortable recommending this hotel to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced hotel to rest their heads after a long day of sightseeing in DC. DC has so much to offer, you won't be spending too much time in the hotel anyway!

Room Tip: The Executive level was a bonus since it included the breakfast buffet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
HiltonArlingtonVA, Director of Sales at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
The Hilton Arlington would like to thank you for your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed their stay and took advantage of our Ballston Metro Location. We do agree that upgrading to the Executive Level does have it perks especially in our Executive Lounge which offers morning breakfast items, complimentary soft drinks, light evening refreshments, and complimentary internet. In fact, on Tuesday evenings from 5:30p.m. – 7:30p.m. all Hilton Honors guest are invited to the Managers Reception. On Wednesday evenings from 5:30p.m. – 7:30p.m. we offer freshly-baked cookies in the lobby to all of our Hilton Arlington guests. We do hope that we have the opportunity to host you and your family on a future visit.
Greensboro NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Arlington for a business trip and was pleased with my stay. The staff at the hotel are very helpful and friendly, from the people at the front desk to the housekeepers to the banquet servers. The hotel is clean and conveniently located to shopping and restaurants. I do think it's a bit pricey - probably wouldn't pay for it for a personal trip.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Arlington for your recent stay. Our staff is committed to exceeding guest expectations and we are pleased that you were able to experience their level of service. For companies with frequent travelers, you may contact the Hilton Arlington (VA) directly to establish a Corporate Negotiated Rate for future stays which would save your company money on future stays at the Hilton Arlington. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Endicott, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

For the sake of not going completely negative here (although I easily could), I will say that the Ballston Metro stop, literally right out the hotel front door, is quite convenient. This convenience, however, does not nearly justify the minimum $300.00 per night rate, the $17.00 per day parking fee, the $29.00 taxes per night on that $300.00 per night room, and the following negatives.
I'll start small. No fridge in the rooms, and, if you have kids, no pool. If you're one of those that does not prefer to utilize the coffee maker in your room, and you'd like to go down to the lobby for coffee, at, say, 6:00am, you'll not find any. Nor will you find the hotel's restaurant open at that hour. There is a small bakery/coffee shop/deli/store right off the lobby, which advertises that it'll be open at 7:00am, however, the opening at 7:00am part shouldn't be taken seriously. So, for coffee, in the morning, you'll most likely have to walk a bit. Starbucks is the closest, about 1/2 a block away. Or just make coffee in your room.
Maybe I should have mentioned at the beginning that I was here for four nights. Which leads me to possibly the most annoying idiosyncrasy I've ever experienced in a hotel; the doors to the rooms. When you open the door to your room, it must close, correct? Well, once you open the door to your room, unless you guide the door completely closed with your hand, it will slam, and I mean SLAM shut. So, at like 11:30pm or midnight'ish, or later, when many people are coming back to their rooms, you can imagine the cacophony of slamming doors one must listen to, because one will be having difficulty sleeping. After four nights I could tell that others found this highly annoying hotel trait also annoying, and I could tell that some were making an effort to guide their doors closed quietly. I don't think I've emphasized adequately the level of SLAM when it comes to the doors closing, but...
I could have kept going with the smaller annoyances, but I need room for this next part and I fear I'm going to run out. So, when I check in on Wednesday afternoon I'm informed that the Hilton needs a credit card, and that a $400.00 fee needs to be initially withdrawn. Ok fine, but I inform the clerk behind the counter that I want to charge two nights to this particular credit card, then the other two nights to a different card. I didn't see this as an advanced-level request. So she asks for the other card (this one directly attached to my checking account), and I give it her. Based on the amount of the time she looks at the computer I get the sense she has no freakin' idea what she's doing. She asks her partner for assitance. This other front desk employee looks at the screen, the two exchange a few words, and they BOTH assure me that my request is properly set up. Come Saturday night I stop at the front desk to make sure I have the first two nights on one card, and the second two nights on the other. A totally different employee assures me that it is. Can you sense the hammer falling?
So come Sunday morning there's a receipt under my door saying that the total settled amount is $1,380.00, and that my balance due is a nice round $0.00.
I go to my banks website Tuesday morning (two days after checking out) and discover that my checking account is currently in the negative to the tune of $469.00, with an available balance of $0.00. Long story short, I call the front desk and get transferred to the "finance departement." The entire stay was charged to my checking account card. I could still charge half the stay to my original credit card, but what's the point, because a refund could not be transferred to my checking account card because the current balance is less than zero. Don't ask. Good thing I get paid tomorrow.
Bottom line: stay anywhere, ANYWHERE, but at the Arlington Virginia Hilton.

Room Tip: Don't ever, for any reason, stay at the Arlington Virginia Hilton.
1 Thank Tim461
Thank you for your recent stay with the Hilton Arlington! We have had an extremely busy March and are glad that you were able to find availability. Although the guest rooms are not permanently equipped with refrigerators in rooms, we do have them available upon guest request. While we do not have a pool on property, the Hilton Arlington does recommend using the pool at a nearby facility within walking distance. In fact, we recommend to our guests traveling with their families that they take advantage of the Ballston Common Mall, Kettler Iceplex, Regal movie theater, and the Metro, which are all connected to the Hilton Arlington via the atrium and/or skywalk. We do offer complimentary coffee each morning in our lobby beginning at 6:30a.m. For our earlier risers, we do have coffee makers in each guest room, or the option of ordering breakfast through the hotel’s room service beginning as early as 6:00a.m.

We are disappointed to read that you we did not exceed your expectations with our check out process and truly apologize for your inconvenience with your billing. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to use reviews such as this as a training tool/experience for our staff and new hires. We would love to welcome you back so that we can have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.