“Friendly staff, convenient location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Arlington

Hilton Arlington
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Greensboro NC
“Friendly staff, convenient location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Arlington for a business trip and was pleased with my stay. The staff at the hotel are very helpful and friendly, from the people at the front desk to the housekeepers to the banquet servers. The hotel is clean and conveniently located to shopping and restaurants. I do think it's a bit pricey - probably wouldn't pay for it for a personal trip.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HiltonArlingtonVA, Director of Sales at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Arlington for your recent stay. Our staff is committed to exceeding guest expectations and we are pleased that you were able to experience their level of service. For companies with frequent travelers, you may contact the Hilton Arlington (VA) directly to establish a Corporate Negotiated Rate for future stays which would save your company money on future stays at the Hilton Arlington. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Endicott, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

For the sake of not going completely negative here (although I easily could), I will say that the Ballston Metro stop, literally right out the hotel front door, is quite convenient. This convenience, however, does not nearly justify the minimum $300.00 per night rate, the $17.00 per day parking fee, the $29.00 taxes per night on that $300.00 per night room, and the following negatives.
I'll start small. No fridge in the rooms, and, if you have kids, no pool. If you're one of those that does not prefer to utilize the coffee maker in your room, and you'd like to go down to the lobby for coffee, at, say, 6:00am, you'll not find any. Nor will you find the hotel's restaurant open at that hour. There is a small bakery/coffee shop/deli/store right off the lobby, which advertises that it'll be open at 7:00am, however, the opening at 7:00am part shouldn't be taken seriously. So, for coffee, in the morning, you'll most likely have to walk a bit. Starbucks is the closest, about 1/2 a block away. Or just make coffee in your room.
Maybe I should have mentioned at the beginning that I was here for four nights. Which leads me to possibly the most annoying idiosyncrasy I've ever experienced in a hotel; the doors to the rooms. When you open the door to your room, it must close, correct? Well, once you open the door to your room, unless you guide the door completely closed with your hand, it will slam, and I mean SLAM shut. So, at like 11:30pm or midnight'ish, or later, when many people are coming back to their rooms, you can imagine the cacophony of slamming doors one must listen to, because one will be having difficulty sleeping. After four nights I could tell that others found this highly annoying hotel trait also annoying, and I could tell that some were making an effort to guide their doors closed quietly. I don't think I've emphasized adequately the level of SLAM when it comes to the doors closing, but...
I could have kept going with the smaller annoyances, but I need room for this next part and I fear I'm going to run out. So, when I check in on Wednesday afternoon I'm informed that the Hilton needs a credit card, and that a $400.00 fee needs to be initially withdrawn. Ok fine, but I inform the clerk behind the counter that I want to charge two nights to this particular credit card, then the other two nights to a different card. I didn't see this as an advanced-level request. So she asks for the other card (this one directly attached to my checking account), and I give it her. Based on the amount of the time she looks at the computer I get the sense she has no freakin' idea what she's doing. She asks her partner for assitance. This other front desk employee looks at the screen, the two exchange a few words, and they BOTH assure me that my request is properly set up. Come Saturday night I stop at the front desk to make sure I have the first two nights on one card, and the second two nights on the other. A totally different employee assures me that it is. Can you sense the hammer falling?
So come Sunday morning there's a receipt under my door saying that the total settled amount is $1,380.00, and that my balance due is a nice round $0.00.
I go to my banks website Tuesday morning (two days after checking out) and discover that my checking account is currently in the negative to the tune of $469.00, with an available balance of $0.00. Long story short, I call the front desk and get transferred to the "finance departement." The entire stay was charged to my checking account card. I could still charge half the stay to my original credit card, but what's the point, because a refund could not be transferred to my checking account card because the current balance is less than zero. Don't ask. Good thing I get paid tomorrow.
Bottom line: stay anywhere, ANYWHERE, but at the Arlington Virginia Hilton.

Room Tip: Don't ever, for any reason, stay at the Arlington Virginia Hilton.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim461
HiltonArlingtonVA, Director of Sales at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay with the Hilton Arlington! We have had an extremely busy March and are glad that you were able to find availability. Although the guest rooms are not permanently equipped with refrigerators in rooms, we do have them available upon guest request. While we do not have a pool on property, the Hilton Arlington does recommend using the pool at a nearby facility within walking distance. In fact, we recommend to our guests traveling with their families that they take advantage of the Ballston Common Mall, Kettler Iceplex, Regal movie theater, and the Metro, which are all connected to the Hilton Arlington via the atrium and/or skywalk. We do offer complimentary coffee each morning in our lobby beginning at 6:30a.m. For our earlier risers, we do have coffee makers in each guest room, or the option of ordering breakfast through the hotel’s room service beginning as early as 6:00a.m.

We are disappointed to read that you we did not exceed your expectations with our check out process and truly apologize for your inconvenience with your billing. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to use reviews such as this as a training tool/experience for our staff and new hires. We would love to welcome you back so that we can have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Galesburg, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

This was a nice hotel and a nice room. I'm used to staying in cheaper hotels, so this was an enjoyable change. However, for the price, I expected excellent quality. My main complaint was the fact that the flat screen TV was not HD (not that I had much time to watch it, but still). Anyone who owns a flat screen TV knows that if it isn't HD, the picture quality is terrible, and this certainly was the case. In addition, there were very few channel options. For $200 per night, this is simply unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Hilton Arlington, Virginia. We are excited to inform you that we are in the process of upgrading to HD programing, which will also include more channels for our travelers. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy our new HD programing.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

Been staying here for 4 weeks. Overall, great service - that's what pushed it up a rating point, but some negatives, in my humble opinion:

* Week 1: Consistently told at check-in that they "upgraded" me to a club floor room because of my diamond hhonors status. I had to remind them that I paid for that type of room - wasn't an "upgrade". Finally, counter person gave me a suite because I wasn't buying their "upgrade" lingo...Also, loud A/C, would crank on at random hours of the night. Woke up every night at 2am when it cranked on. No room service menu in room, but no biggie. Delivered it when I called for it. Stayed 4 nights - my reservation was for three nights at one rate and the 4th night at a lower rate. Of course, the folio didn't reflect this (had all 4 nights at higher rate). They fixed w/o much difficulty.

* Week 2: Didn't have hot water for shower one morning. Otherwise, not too bad. Their internet was pretty slow this week. Had the same rate situation this week - 3 nights at one rate, 4th night at lower rate. Hotel bill was fine on first try this time. Floor in bathroom was a bit grimy looking like no one had mopped it, good thing I had flipflops.

* Week 3: Preassigned me to smallest room possible in hotel (despite my hhonors status). After calling down to complain, they fixed the situation quickly. Good size king room on club floor (why they didn't just preassign it to me in the first place is beyond me). Internet died for a few days this week. Hotel was really apologetic about it, so that's fine. Had the same rate situation this week - however, folio was wrong (AGAIN) like week 1. When I called down about it, the lady was like "I don't see that on your reservation, but I believe you". I was a bit offended she would even say something like that - i offered to show her my email confirmation but she declined. They fixed the folio / room rate for the 4th night after I called. Floor in bathroom seemed a bit grimy, again, good thing for flip flops. Asked that they don't stick me in a tiny room for following week.

* Week 4: Gave me same room as Week 3 (happy with that). Everything was fine this week. However, i just noticed that they overcharged me on my last night AGAIN. I didn't notice it when I checked out, but only after I got home. Something is definitely up.... if you stay 4 nights (Mon-Thur), you probably have most nights at one rate and the last night at a lower rate on your reservation. However, it may be different on your bill. FYI!

Overall, great service. People are super nice for the most part and very helpful. The lady in the exec lounge (i forgot her name.. oops) is super nice to all guests and she has a great rapport with everyone. Top notch service there! Also, one of the greeters in the evenings (I believe his name is Keith) is great as well. So, the service makes up for the little inconsistencies. You wouldn't notice many of them if you stayed for only a few days, but since I've been there for 15 days, I've started to see some of the same ones pop up...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lcnyc123
Marblehead, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

A nice, comfortable room in a hotel that's steps from a Metro station. A short ride and you are in the heart of the District. A slightly longer ride that requires a change of trains has you at Reagan Airport in short order.
The dining room is overpriced (aren't they all?) for breakfast but we had a nice dinner one night that was quite reasonable by Washington standards.
I happened to check the room's safety placard that is supposed to show where your room is relative to the elevators and stairs, and no room is marked on it. We were in 635.
Front desk staff is extremely pleasant and helpful. But housekeeping should be chided for allowing food trays to sit in the corridors for too long.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your business and want thank you for choosing the Hilton Arlington for your recent stay. Our Ballston Metro location is a huge feature of the hotel allowing guests the opportunity to conveniently visit many of the Washington, DC, attractions and businesses with the benefit of saving time and money. We are delighted to hear that you did enjoy a nice dinner in our Dan and Brad’s restaurant. Dan and Brad’s just recently updated their menus to the Chef’s signature Chesapeake specialties. We appreciate your feedback and will be certain to share your comments with all Departments.
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

There's a reason why I prefer Hilton hotels and this property is a prime example. Rarely am I ever asked "How was your stay?" But the desk staff did and it wasn't forced. It's the small things like this that make a big difference. Sure, the rooms are clean and very comfortable but a hotel stay goes beyond that. Like the bartender offering a complimentary glass of wine that you were talking with him about. Like each staff member greeting you with a hello and smile. The employees seem genuinly interested in your stay and enjoy working there. My only complaint was that the Executive lounge wasn't open on weekends. Beyond that minor drawback my stay was perfect.

Room Tip: Reserve or ask for an Alcove room. They're at the end of the hallway and the most quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank irishguyinaz
The Hilton Arlington appreciates your business and feedback. We are pleased to hear that you were able to experience our staff’s genuine hospitality during your stay. Our bartenders at the Hilton Arlington have been with us for many years and love to talk about their favorite wines and beverages and share that with our guests. In fact, they know most of our guests by name! Thank you again for your feedback, I will be sure to share with all our departments. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed here as part of a business trip that was located very close to the Hilton Arlington. I found it to be very convenient and also very comfortable. It is located right near the Metro which you can take to/from Reagan National Airport, and cab rides are not too long as well.

I found the service to be incredibly helpful and very accommodating. When I arrived there was also a large group of high-school age students, so at check-in they were able to put me on a quieter floor, which was greatly appreciated. Also, upon check-out there were some discrepancies about the room rate (it was much higher than what I was quoted) but they were able to correct that right away without any problems.

The rooms were very comfortable, with a pleasant decor and plenty of space. The walls were thin but in general there was minimal noise from the hallway and other rooms. The bed was super comfortable.

There is a restaurant in the hotel, but I didn't eat there as there are many places to eat in the area. If you want a quick breakfast there is a Starbucks within the same building. Also, there is a skybridge which you can take to nearby buildings and the mall, as well as the fitness center. Wifi is available only with a charge, which is a minus.

For a business in the area, the hotel is very convenient. I will definitely return if I have to visit Arlington again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the great compliments! We appreciate your business and your review. The Hilton Arlington’s location is one of its many great features, along with our spacious guest rooms. It would be my pleasure to share your positive comments with all departments and their team members. We do hope to have the opportunity to have you as our guests in the near future.