Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Weare, New Hampshire
“Great stay!”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My family recently stayed for 3 nights at the Embassy Suites so that I could run the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run in DC. We booked through Priceline and got a great value. We had a great stay. The front desk staff was so helpful the entire time- we arrived far before the normal check-in time and they were able to get a room ready for us within minutes for early check in. I was up very early for the race on Sunday morning and the front desk staff cheerfully greeted me, wished me good luck and offered me a banana and bottle of water. Our room was spacious and clean and the two room layout was perfect for traveling with our one year old. The location is within easy walking distance of the metro, even pushing a stroller we made it there within about 10 minutes. We never took the shuttle to the metro and opted to walk each time. The airport shuttle was free and convenient too. The manager’s reception and free breakfast are great perks! The breakfast was crowded Saturday morning, but there was ample food and we were able to sit right down. The one negative from our entire stay was a strange, unpleasant smell in the lobby area and right outside the hotel- it smelled as though trash or a dumpster had not been emptied. By the third day of our stay it seemed to have diminished, and otherwise didn’t disrupt our stay. I would definitely return!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so glad you got a great value and congratulations in running the 10 mile Cherry Blossom run. We strive to meet each early check in request, but it is based on availability. It is nice to read that we could offer this to you and I appreciate you recognizing the front desk staff's efforts to have a positive impact in your stay experience.

The two room suite is a definite bonus when traveling with kids and makes for a much more comfortable stay than a smaller standard hotel room. Many of our guests really like having the option of walking to the Metro or taking the shuttle.

The great value comes in the complimentary breakfast and evening reception. I am glad you enjoyed both during your stay. I apologize for the smell as it was coming in from the outside, but I am glad you noticed it getting better during your stay. Thankfully this is a very rare occurrence as I do not remember this happening before. Your understanding is appreciated.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

jennifer.geiger@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Hebrew first
Arlington, VA, United States
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Overall good, if a little dated. Suite is from 20 years ago. Breakfast hot items not hot. Too many pillows and blankets too much or too little. Bath and shower okay. Living area of suite useful as a meeting room.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for choosing to post your review. I am glad you had a nice overall stay, but sorry you are not a fan of the suite decor. The suites have been renovated more recently than 20 years ago and the feedback on them has been positive, but again I am sorry you were not happy with the look. I hope you were still able to be comfortable when in your suite.

I hope you told the breakfast manager about your food not being as hot as you would have liked. We always will work hard to make it right. Some guests prefer a lot of pillows, some prefer only one. Thankfully, the pillows are easy to remove if you do not want so many and they are there if you prefer a few.

It is nice to be able to have people back to your suite to meet in the living room and close the door to the bedroom so it does not feel invasive. This is a definite benefit of a suite over a standard hotel room. It is nice to read that you enjoyed this feature.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Minneapolis, United States
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The first room we were in had water (rain) leaking into the window, the wallpaper was peeling and there was mold on the window sill and carpet. The heat didn't work so the room was very cold. It took 2 reports to the front desk before we were finally assigned a different room for the remainder of our stay. The internet connection (which I paid for) didn't work. I received a promo code from the front desk which worked, but our bill still showed a charge for internet service, which I was told would be taken off. It wasn't! This hotel had construction in the main restaurant area which closed off 2/3 of the atrium. This was very noisy early in the morning. The hot tub was also closed "under construction". NONE of the construction was listed on the website when we booked the room. We would not have stayed at this hotel had we known construction was taking place.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am so sorry that you had a disappointing stay experience. It should not have taken more than one call to address the challenges you were having and my apologies that it did.

I will see to it that the Internet charge is removed and a revised receipt is sent to you. It is so important to follow through on promises made and our staff is typically very proactive in doing so. I am sorry this did not occur in this instance.

We are excited that the atrium/lobby remodel will be over soon and look forward to displaying our new look to our guests. I am sorry that the noise had a negative impact on your stay. We have been very careful to schedule any noisy work during the day when most of our guests are out of the hotel and none on the weekends. The workers do not begin prior 9am, but I am sorry this disturbed you. Actually, the hot tub is closed due to a needed repair.

Thank you again for your review and once again, I am very sorry that you left disappointed. I hope you return as I am confident that if given another opportunity that you would have a much more positive experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Jackson, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We loved the Manager's reception from 5:30-7:30 nightly. Free snacks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. This made up for the $26/night parking fee. Shuttles ran twice/ hr which was very convenient . WIFI is $12.95/device and it did not work half the time. The house keeping staff were very friendly. Construction was being done in the atrium area but it did not pose a problem . We were disappointed the hot tub was under construction the whole time we were there. Overall, very nice place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. What could be better than two hours of complimentary snacks, alcoholic, and non alcoholic beverages? I am glad you had an enjoyable time at the evening reception. It is a great time to unwind from a long day and/or get the evening started.

The parking charge is in line with the area, but I am glad you felt the complimentary reception balanced this out. My apologies that the WiFi caused you frustration as I am sure this was unproductive. It is nice to read that you took advantage of the complimentary shuttle service as it makes getting around so simple.

I appreciate you recognizing the suitekeepers friendly demeanor. We are so excited for the Atrium/lobby to reopen and the feedback has been great on how little impact this has had on our guests. We really have worked hard to ensure the work does not disrupt our guests and I am glad the project did not stop you from having a great stay. The hot tub is slated to reopen soon; unfortunately it was an unexpected needed repair.

Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel multiple times over the past four years I can confidently say that the service and facilities have declined significantly. There are far better places to stay for the price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Bryan P
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for choosing to share your review. I am very sorry that you feel this way and would love to learn more details about your experience. The large majority of our guests leave happy and wanting to return. Unfortunately, without the details of why you feel this way I can not address your concerns. However, I truly apologize for letting you down.

Thank you again for your review. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I have to say I have never stayed at an Embassy Suites like this one. It was quite pricey ($269) so I used some of my points. We may have been happier at a no-tell-motel. I had wanted a room with two beds but all that was available was a king room. Didn't think it would be a problem as there was a sofa sleeper. This room looked like it had not been upgraded since the 1970's. The living room consisted of a vinyl chair that made noise every time I moved, a coffee table/ottoman, and a sleeper sofa. The condition of the sofa was so bad I wouldn't sit on it let alone sleep there. The cushions were sagging. There was a large stain on the back of the couch and the arms were worn and dirty. I got a couple hours sleep in the chair. The bathroom wasn't a bonus either. The noise from the atrium was loud and clear. My daughter said the bed was comfortable. They are doing some renovations in the public areas. It will probably be fine when it is done but it was not handy for breakfast. Not enough seating. We ate at the bar after moving a couple of trays out of the way. I only had contact with three Embassy staff members. They were not up to the standards that I am used to seeing at Hilton Hotels. The shuttle to the airport was handy.

Until this hotel has completed renovations, I think I'll fly out of Dulles or stay at a different hotel. I've had nicer rooms for $89/night.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Joan R
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. I am very sorry you left disappointed. The suites have been updated many times since the 1970's, but I am sorry the decor was not to your liking. I wish you would have let us know of your discomfort with the sleeper sofa so we could have offered a rollaway bed or another suite. We have many guests that sleep in the sleeper sofas and while no matter which hotel you stay at it will not be as comfortable as a standard bed, we rarely receive negative feedback on them.

We are looking forward to when the Atrium remodel project is completed in early May so we can reopen with a lot more seating. i appreciate your understanding that the limited seating was due to the project.

Thank you for your review and I truly am sorry that you had a disappointing stay. I hope that you and the other readers of this review will read the many other reviews to know your experience is not typical. We hope you return soon and please know we will work hard to restore your faith in the Embassy Suites Crystal City. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

jennifer.gieger@hilton.com
Mashpe
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We had two rooms on a high floor...one for a family and one for a couple (grandparents.) Rooms were quiet but, in March, air conditioning was not available and our room was a bit warm for us. Breakfast and the early evening "happy hour" were great. Free shuttles to Reagan Airport and to the Metro were also great. The staff was basically helpful and friendly. We were there at a heavily booked time (school vacations for a lot of the country) and expect we might like it even a little better at an "off" time. Taxis into DC were summoned by the lobby staff and worked well. Would return here.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter...but may cost a little extra. Prices for the same room vary depending up...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank betteh443
Thank you for your review. I am glad that your stay was an overall positive one, but apologize that the room temperature was uncomfortable. The complimentary amenities offered at the Embassy Suites make the value very tough to beat. It is nice to read that you enjoyed the breakfast and evening reception.

The shuttles do make it very simple for our guests to get around and also help save money as in most cases a rental car is not needed. You are correct that March - June is the peak demand time. We would love to welcome you back in a quieter month.

Thank you again for your visit. We hope you return soon and please know that we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations again. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

jennifer.gieger@hilton.com