“Marine Corps Marathon stay”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“Marine Corps Marathon stay”
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a couple friends for the 2013 Marine Corps Marathon. The location was very convenient. Its about a mile from the National Airport and only three blocks from the Crystal City Metro station (which is two stops from Pentagon Station where the start line is located). Also, a nice perk the hotel offers is a shuttle service to and from the airport, as well as to nearby restaurants.

As with most Embassy Suites, they offer a complementary breakfast and "manager's reception", which is the PC way of saying "free happy hour". Always a plus in my book. On race morning, they opened the breakfast an hour earlier to accommodate all the marathoners that were staying at the hotel, which was much appreciated.

The areas where they could improve is upgrading their foldout mattresses in the couches. I was the "odd man out" and had to endure the thin, lumpy mattress for four nights. After the first night, I actually tried to sleep on the couch (without pulling out the bed) but it was just too short for me. The other disappointment was that the jacuzzi was under repair. It definitely would have come in handy after the race. I realize the hotel can't control jacuzzi malfunctions, but I just wanted to mention it for anyone planning on staying here in the near future.

Overall, a very pleasant stay. Great value with large clean rooms, reasonable rates, free breakfast, and free happy hour. My friends and I have stayed at Embassy Suites for the Chicago Marathon and Marine Corps Marathon, and we hope to stay at an Embassy Suites at our next marathon race in 2014.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank patrick j
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are lucky to have a location that is convenient to both the Airport and Metro. This makes us a great location for travelers flying into Reagan Airport that will need to get into Washington DC. As you mentioned we are close to two Metro Stations; about 4 blocks from each (Crystal City & Pentagon City Metro). Many of our guests enjoy the option of taking the complimentary shuttle or enjoying the 10-12 minute walk. I am glad you found our location to be convenient for your needs.

We really enjoy having the people participating and watching the Marine Corp Marathon stay with us each year. It is nice to read that the extended breakfast hours benefited you. We want to be sure our guests leave with enough fuel to run (or walk) the marathon.

I appreciate your suggestion for the sofa beds. Our owners routinely review projects needed and I will be sure to bring this to their attention. I am sorry you were not able to enjoy a comfortable night's sleep. I wish you had let us know during your visit as we could have offered a rollaway bed as an option to you.

Yes, the jacuzzi repair is unexpected and I can understand why it was disappointing for you. I appreciate your understanding that while we conduct preventative maintenance, some repairs are needed and unexpected.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. Congratulations on finishing the marathon and we hope to welcome you back in 2014. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

Jennifer Geiger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Hebrew first
Cortlandt Manor, New York
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was my wife's first visit to DC. We decided to spend our 30th anniversary at embassy Suites. when we filled out the reservation, I mentioned that it was our anniversary and her first trip to Washington.
upon arrival we were wished a happy anniversary and told our room was upgraded. We had a wonderful room. we went out for the day and when we came back there was a bottle of Proseco some chocolates, and chocolate covered fruit waiting in our room for us. There was even a signed anniversary card from the staff! What a nice surprise.The trip was wonderful! the hotel and staff were great!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review. Happy 30th anniversary to you! We are so honored that you chose to share your special day with us. It is always nice to know ahead of time about special occasions so we have an opportunity to help make them even more memorable. It is nice to read we met this goal with you.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return so we can try to again exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

United States
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Great staff, nice amenities. Enjoyed the made to order omelette station and salt water pool. Convenient location, close to DC museums and other sightseeing areas. Lots on choices for dining nearby and easy access to bike path.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is nice to read that you had a positive hotel experience. It is our goal to ensure each guest has a great stay, leaves happy and wanting to return. It is rewarding to know we met this goal with you.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

Los Angeles, United States
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This Embassy is clean and modern, located near the Airport and all the Capital sights. It is well priced and offers all the usual Embassy amenities. At the price there is not a better value in the DC area. It is a very convenient to the Pentagon, as you will observe your first breakfast there. Definitely a bargain.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay. We are fortunate to have such a great location for both business and pleasure needs. When you consider a complimentary breakfast for all occupants as well as the evening reception on top of the comforts of a suite, you are correct that the value is very difficult to beat.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. We will work just as hard to ensure you have another positive experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

Houston
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I found a great bargain rate for this hotel on a long weekend - $79 a night, third night free! Parking is a rip -- but typical for the DC area. Roll away bed and sofa bed were exceptionally uncomfortable. Embassy Suites/Hilton needs to invest some money for upgrades.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Susanne P
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you took advantage of a great deal offered. While weekend rates are typically lower than weekday rates, that is an unusually low rate due to a low demand weekend.

I am sorry that you did not find the roll away bed or sofa bed to be comfortable. We do replace these items from time to time and I appreciate your feedback on this.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman anytime at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I had not been in an Embassy Suites since the late 90's and things haven't changed for this place since then. The outside as well as inside need to be updated. But to be totally honest, the same applies to all the hotels in this area.

The bathroom does not have a fan, there is a square cut off and replaced on the ceiling (probably where the fan was). But there was another cutting in the ceiling right outside the bathroom.

The rooms are nice and big and the staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Opinionmia
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review. The one attribute of the Embassy Suites brand I hear more than any other is consistency. Many guests really enjoy that the look and feel of the Embassy Suites has not changed over time and the awesome complimentary amenities are still being offered. The product offered in our suites has been updated many times since the 90's, but I am sorry that you were not happy with your suite accommodations. I do want to let you know that our atrium area will be going under an extensive redesign early next year and will have a brand new look when it reopens. I do hope you come back to enjoy it.

I appreciate you letting us know of the cut out in the ceiling. I am sorry this was not visually appealing and will share this with the Director of Property Operations so it can be addressed.

Thank you again for staying with us and for your review. We hope you return soon and we will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

Aberdeen, Maryland
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Some rooms must be better than others....but not my room. Perfect spot to hear the loud road noise from the cars passing all evening. Add to that the cold air blew all night making it miserable. The managers reception was a disappointing chips and salsa, pita and hummus. Other hotels in the area have real food. No waffle maker for breakfast, although others enjoyed the eggs to order. Parking fee was similar to other hotels. Walking distance to pentagon and pentagon mall.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your review. I am sorry that you had a challenge with the road noise. It is not a complaint we hear often, but we are glad to try and assist light sleepers by placing them in other areas of the hotel. In the future, please let us know of challenges while you are here so we can try to make it right either by looking into the cold air or offering a different suite to you.

The Evening Reception is not meant to be a substitute for dinner. It is lite snacks to enjoy with your complimentary alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages. The choice of what to offer is actually set by the Embassy Suites Brand, not individual hotels. We do change the offerings to mix it up between chips/salsa to veggies, cheese, and dip.

Thank you again for your review and choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at any time. He will be very happy to assist in anyway he can.