“Bad and good experience.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport
Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have to be honest when I say I have had good experiences with Embassy. front desk staff was great, dining room chef was wonderful a very pleasant man. the drink servers and dining room manager was very rude to my family. we were bluntly treated different and disrespected. it spoiled our stay at this embassy. after complaining and voicing how we felt it was nicely taken cared of on our part. I don't feel it's the hotel I love the embassy hotel I feel it was a personal issue with this one person who was serving the drinks. I'm writing this not to give this Embassy a bad name, I want people to speak up and let your voice be heard. don't pay your hard earn money to be treated rude and disrespected especially in front of other guest. I will continue to stay at other Embassy because I love it, but I will not stay at this particular Embassy ever again. I choose a poor review because I was really disrespected by this server.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for your review. While it is nice to read that you enjoyed the large majority of your stay, I am sorry to read that you felt disrespected by a server. Without knowing the specifics on what happened, I can not comment on this situation. Our servers have been with us for quite some time and actually they get mentioned with positive comments in more reviews than other employees so it is surprising to read you had a negative experience. However, I am glad to read that after voicing your concern that it was handled nicely.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you will reconsider your decision not to return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Corner suite was comfortably furnished, although bedroom was a bit cramped. Difficult to get comfortable temperature in both rooms with one climate control. Living room furniture comfortable, good breakfast (a little chaotic, because buffet is cramped), very friendly and helpful staff. Convenient parking.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a nice visit, but apologize that you could not get the temperature in your suite to be comfortable. Next time, please let us know as an engineer will be happy to look at the thermostat. We want our guests to be happy and enjoy their suite.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed in this twin room suites for three nights with our 2 children first week of April 2013.
Very spacious rooms -reception with sofas and a dinner table.
Kitchenette with microwave and a small fridge and a coffee maker.

Beds and pillows were very comfortable. Towels and toiletries good.

There is a free shuttle service to the nearby metro Pentagon city every 30 minutes.

Restaurant is good. But very crowded if you hit it around 08:00 am. Its is open from 06:00am. Advisably visit early.

A towel rail in the bathroom and a personal safe in the cupboard would have been good.

Very good pricing

Plenty of space, that is the highlight!!

M&J

1  Thank tomvar7

Thank you for your review. The suite is a big plus, especially when staying with children. Unlike other hotels that call a large room a suite, ours have a door closing off between the bedroom and living room. This enables the kids to sleep on the queen size sofa bed and get up to enjoy early morning cartoons on the 42" LCD tv in the living room area. Meanwhile, the adults can watch tv late on their 42" LCD tv and sleep a little later.

We do offer not only a complimentary shuttle to the Metro & Mall, but also to Reagan National and any other point within Crystal City. Our guests really enjoy this amenity as it makes getting around so much easier. Good tip on the breakfast as there are times that it is more crowded than others.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent four days here with 20 family members. The price was right ( $149.00 for the group rate)' including breakfast and managers' reception. Long lines for booze and snacks that weren't very good, so skip that and head to a DC watering hole. Just a few blocks walk to the metro and Pentagon City Mall and restaurants. They provide a shuttle every 30 minutes. With the free shuttle to DCA, you don't need a car if you don't mind traveling via metro. The hotel recommended a car company that took my family to and from dinner each night in DC for a modest sum--so that was a nice service. The pool and excercise room are very small, so if you want to exercise, use the trails for running or walking. Good value for the money in the DC metro area.

• Stayed: March 2013
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that your Family had an enjoyable reunion at the Embassy Suites Crystal City. The Manager's Reception is popular and sometimes the lines can get long. The bartenders work hard to get through it as quickly as possible. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the beverages offered.

You are correct, for guests flying in the savings on a rental car can be huge. With shuttle service offered from Reagan National, the Pentagon City Metro, and all other points in DC, it is simple to get around without renting a vehicle.

I am glad you found other options being the fitness room did not fit your needs. There are a few running/walking trails in the area that many of our guests enjoy.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here overnight and had an great stay. The location is nicely situated --close to Crystal City , the Metro and the Airport. We stayed on the top floor in a spacious , clean suite. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and courteous. As is typical of Embassy Suites, there is a full cooked-to-order breakfast in the AM and a Manager's reception in the evening with complimentary wine, beer cocktails and snacks. The on-site restaurant called the "Crystal Grill" was exceptional. We arrived too tired and hungry to go search for go for food so we thought we have to "settle" for mediocre hotel fare. Boy were we wrong! My husband had the grass fed Angus beef burger and fries, and I opted for the pear and fried goat cheese salad topped with salmon. Both were exceptional. The burger was moist, flavorful and cooked to perfection. The fries were crisp and not greasy. My salad had crisp greens with mango, dried cranberries, pear slices and goat cheese mixed in----presented attractively with a generous slab of grilled salmon. Delicious! Our waiter brought us an assortment of salad dressings and condiments to compliment the meal. The best part was all the drinks were complimentary since we ate during the Manager's reception which goes from 5:30-7:30. All in all, a fabulous overnight stay. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The hotel is close to roads so there is a little spill-over noice. Try a high floor to minimize tha...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jonsha

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you had an enjoyable hotel experience. There is no better way to wake up then with a complimentary full breakfast buffet and it is an excellent way to unwind in the evening at the complimentary Manager's Reception. These amenities along with the spacious suite make the value of an Embassy Suites almost unbeatable.

I appreciate you mentioning the Crystal Grill. A lot of travelers choose to dine out due to having the same perception you did of hotel food. Our Food & Beverage team works hard to break that perception and I am glad they achieved this goal with you. The food is so good and it worth mentioning that the Director of Food & Beverage is an Executive Chef; meaning he understands what is needed for a quality meal. His staff works hard at not only serving a delicious meal, but also on the presentation.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

When given the choice, we often stay at Embassy Suites because we like the 2 room suite setup. It is spacious, clean and comfortable and quiet. We appreciate the consistency of the properties and Crystal City was no exception. There is a free shuttle from Reagan National Airport every half hour. The staff is pleasant and accommodating. The included breakfast is vast and adequate. They also provide a complimentary Happy Hour. The Blue Line Metro to DC is only a couple of easy blocks away. Getting to the other side of the main drag, Rte 1 (where we were attending a conference), was an easy walk outside or underground through the shopping tunnel at the Gateway Marriott (also an access to the Metro). It is user friendly for couples, families and solo travelers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cajFlorida

Thank you for your review. You are absolutely correct about the consistency of the Embassy Suites brand. Unlike many other hotel brands when you really do not know until arrival what the hotel will look like and what the quality will be, travelers are very confident about the Embassy Suites product. I am glad we did not disappoint your accurate perception of Embassy Suites.

The complimentary shuttle to Reagan National and the Pentagon City Metro Station is very useful for our guests as it makes the hotel location even more convenient. Also, we are one of the few hotels in the area to offer another shuttle that goes to any point within Crystal City.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Family vacation to Washington, D.C. from the Pacific Northwest (mind you, a long day of travel for us)! We arrived at the hotel at 3:15PM. Check-in time is supposedly at 3PM, but our room was not ready!! And the lady behind the counter had no apologies, and basically did not follow-through for us. About a half hour later as we sat in the lobby with our bags, I went up to the front counter and spoke to a different lady to check the status of our room. Still not ready! We waited another 10 minutes and only got "free WI-FI" for our inconvenience (and they gave us the wrong passcode)!! The only good thing about the room was that it was a suite. But, we heard through the ventilation other peoples' conversations! And the breakfast was a MAD-HOUSE! Only served 'til 9:30AM and by 9, most of the food was GONE! The food that was left was COLD and the milk by the disgusting mess at the cereal area was WARM! Also, the front desk seemed "annoyed" when we asked about the shuttle to and from the Metro. Seemed way understaffed. Will think twice about staying in Embassy Suites!! Yuck!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that you had a poor stay experience. Check in time is 3pm and we do our absolute best to have all suites ready by then. There are times when this can not be done due to a late check out or a unexpected repair needed in a room. Without knowing the specifics of your reservation I can not comment on the reason for the delay. However, a proper explanation and apology should have been offered at the time and I apologize that it was not.

Hearing people talking through the vents is not a complaint we hear often at all, but I am sorry this disturbed you. Breakfast is busy, especially towards the end of breakfast as a lot of people try to sleep a little later and catch breakfast before it is over. The breakfast hours are set by the corporate office so they are consistent in all hotels. Breakfast is served from 6am - 9:30am Monday - Friday and 7am - 10:30am on Saturday/Sunday. My apologies that some items ran out and I can understand why that would be frustrating.

It is surprising to read that the desk staff would be annoyed about questions about the shuttle. They are asked this often and have become accustomed to responding. The Director of Front Office will remind them to answer with a smile.

Thank you for your review. I do hope readers of this review will read the many other comments to know this experience is not typical of a guest stay. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.