“great spot, great bonuses”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
nyc
“great spot, great bonuses”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The extras make this hotel! Full breakfast, manager's cocktails, free shuttles to transportation, etc! A short trip to the airport and metro stops makes the location great for a quick visit to DC, and there are plenty of dining and shopping locations in the immediate area to keep you occupied. Would definately stay again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kbuchanan2
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your review. I agree, the complimentary services make the value of the Embassy Suites unbeatable. I always remind guests that are comparing hotels prices to be sure to add on breakfast for each occupant, the price of 2-3 cocktails, and the cost for a suite upgrade to the other hotels price and then compare. It is no comparison! I am so glad to read that you had such a fantastic experience.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hebrew first
maryland
Reviewed August 31, 2012

First things first...if you're a Gov't employee, DO NOT ask for the Gov't rate since there are better rates available for Hilton Honors and for "business" packages that will get you parking and Wi-Fi included at a better rate than the standard per-diem rate. They will not tell you this when you call unless you ask...and even then sometimes not since I could find it online but not by phone. If you don't get it, you're going to pay $24 a day for parking and $12 for Wi-Fi so go look online and on the Honors site.

Location is very good, with a Costco within 2 blocks and lots of restaurants. The breakfast is pretty good, but when they say it opens at 6am, it seems that things just start getting set out at 6 and it's really not ready until about 6:10-6:15 and then half the time they forget to turn on the main lights. The manager's reception is pretty sorry when you compare it to the Embassy Suites at Tyson's Corner. At Tysons, they had hot food and a good selection. Here they just had chips & salsa and or veggies and dips. Big ding for this. Drinks were fine and free for happy hour, including cocktails. The bar staff was decent too. The only issue with breakfast is that the scrambled eggs were way too runny and tasted powdery at the same time.

As for the room, it was fine and cozy but the lighting was too dark, especially in the bathroom. Bring a lamp...it's simply hard to do anything and see well in there. The TV's were good sized and good selection of channels and the wi-fi was good and fast. The amenities were fine.

As for service, the only real thing that took my by surprise was at check in....nobody else was around, but I felt rushed and the tall black guy (didn't get his name) was somewhat rude/short in response when asking something like he was annoyed I asked. I got this feeling more than once from various staff.

Also, do not get a room facing Jeff Davis Highway....so noisy it's hard to sleep...especially lower floors.

Last, there is a broken elevator that seems to be a permanent issue since they draped cloth to cover the exposed shaft like it is intended to remain out of service perpetually. Waiting for an elevator can get annoying in rushed times. I didn't use the pool or exercise room much but it looked good overall.

I'd go back, but would likely seek something else first.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jfwilder
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your review. I appreciate the tip that you offer government travelers, but that is not always the case. Many times, especially mid week, the per diem rate (government rate) is the lowest rate that offered. There are times we offer packages that include wifi and/or parking and often times those are at a price above per diem. I agree with you, that every traveler should check the packages and rates being offered to find the one that fits his/her needs best.

I am glad that you found the location to be convenient and apologize if breakfast was not ready to go at 6:00am. The Food & Beverage Director will remind his staff that everything should be on & ready for the time that the breakfast opens. Thank you for letting us know this. He will also follow up on the eggs being too runny. Of course, anyone that chooses not to have the eggs off the buffet line can have them cooked to order at the omelet station. Hilton Worldwide has very strict guidelines as to what can be served at the Embassy Suites Manager's Reception. I can not speak to the Embassy Suites Tysons Corner, but we do follow these guidelines. The reason that Hilton Worldwide provides these parameters is to avoid what you experienced; inconsistency between hotels.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your suite accommodations and I am sorry that you found the lighting in the bathroom to be too dark. This is not something I hear often, but will be sure to pass this onto the Director of Engineering. Perhaps, the wrong wattage light bulbs are being used. I hope you will follow up with me directly so I can obtain the suite number you stayed in.

I appreciate the feedback about your check in experience. You should not have been made to feel rushed or received a rude response to your question. As I hope the readers of this review will realize from the many positive employee comments in past reviews, perhaps this was an isolated incidence. To be clear, that does not make it acceptable and I know the Director of Front Office will follow up with the staff, but thankfully this is not the experience for the large majority of our guests.

We try to meet all guest requests so if a guest requests a certain side of the hotel, we do our best to make it happen. The elevator project is not a permanent challenge and I am sorry you missed the sign posted about the project. Our elevators are undergoing a modernization project and this requires one elevator to be out of service at a time. We are looking forward to when this project is done and we can have all of our elevators back in service. Thankfully our guests have not been too inconvenienced by this as it only adds a very short time when waiting for an elevator. I am sorry this was upsetting for you.

Thank you again for your review and for staying with us. We would really like to have you back as i am very confident that you will have a different experience with the staff and if you come after the elevator project is done (March 2013) there should not be a challenge with waiting too long. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We went to visit with some friends over at the Embassy a little after happy hour. Can you say organized chaos. The wait staff was very flustered and it seemed like it was their first circus. The drinks were VERY expensive. $11 for ONE bottom shelf mix with watered down coke.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience. The bartenders have been with us quite some time so it is surprising to read that the appearance was different. The Director of Food & Beverage often checks other hotels to make sure our pricing is in line. Again, I am sorry you had a poor experience in the bar.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Embassy Suites Crystal City the last weekend of August 2012. The hotel staff members were very helpful and friendly. We went to the manager's reception upon check-in and had great service, especially from the bartender, who fixed a wonderful drink called a Baybreeze! (Sorry I did not get her name!) The only complaint about the reception is that there were several kids running around sampling sodas and filling up on everything while their parents did nothing. The kids were so wild I don't think the staff really wanted to interfere! The breakfast was very good and the lady making the omelettes was exceptional! I wish turkey bacon or sausage was available, but other than that, everything else was hot and fresh. I was glad to see skim milk as an option. The cranberry juice was delicious and very refreshing! The guest suite was spacious and had a living room with a table and chairs, flat screen tv, and pull-out sofa. Too bad the mini-fridge did not have a freezer! The bathroom was large and our request for more towels was fulfilled promptly. The suite was very clean. One complaint about the beds - the mattress on one was sagging alot. My friend did not sleep well. The second bed slept fine. The couch bed was also the cause of two restless nights! The mattress was extremely thin. It would've been nice to have an extra foam topper available for the couch bed. The shuttles were great. We just told them where we were going and waited about 10 minutes and we were dropped off at the door of the restaurant we chose. The shuttle to Pentagon City Mall/Metro station ran every 30 minutes, so we did not have to wait long for that either. Our car stayed in the Embassy's garage all weekend! Take-out/delivery menus were available at the front desk if you choose not to go out. I really wish free Wi-fi was provided, but you can use the computers in the lobby or the business center. Other than the few issues we had, I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I appreciate you mentioning the staff members being friendly and helpful. Our staff works very hard to make each guest interaction a positive one.

It is a fine line we need to walk when asking parents to better control their children. If our staff sees the children disturbing other guests or doing something dangerous then the staff will ask a parent to intervene. The Manager's Reception is open for families to enjoy and just about every night there is a mixture of adults and children. I am sorry if some of the children were disturbing you.

Yes, we get many great comments about the omelet makers. Most have been with us 10+ years (that's a lot of omelet experience) and all take great pride in their omelet creations. Sausage is available on the buffet line, but thank you for the suggestion on turkey bacon. I will be sure to pass that onto the Director of Food & Beverage.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your suite accommodations. I do hope you will contact me directly so we can identify the suite you stayed in. We would like to address the mattress challenge in both the bed and pull out sofa bed. My apologies that this challenge caused some sleepless nights.

A unique feature that the Embassy Suites has over most hotels in this area (aside from the suite, complimentary breakfast, and manager's reception) is the on request shuttle. Most hotels have shuttles only to the Airport and Metro. While the Embassy Suites does offer this too, it is so nice to have the option of taking a complimentary shuttle anywhere within Crystal City. I am glad you took advantage of this amenity.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you will contact me directly. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here one night after flying in late. Convenient to take the shuttle to and from airport. Because we were so close we picked up our car the next day and saved some dollars. Hit Arlington cemetery before the crowds got large. Great breakfast, large rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawn M
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for the reviews. Yes, I agree, the complimentary shuttles can not only be a big convenience, but also a big money saver. I am glad you took advantage of this amenity.

Being the hotel is so close to the Metro getting to the local attractions early is simple. I am glad you enjoyed the spacious suite and delicious breakfast.

Thank you again for the review and hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Wintergreen, Virginia
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This hotel is ideally located next to Crystal City. It is a typical Embassy Suites with all it's amenities. However, if you are unlucky to get a room that overlooks US1, bring your noise canceling earphones to get some sleep. The noise is maddening even on the 7th floor. We were lucky to be moved to the back area and we then were able to sleep very well.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your review. I can tell you meant "typical" in a good way as one of the best features of the Embassy Suites Brand is the consistency. With so many other hotel chains there is no typical between properties because one can be so good and another so bad, however with Embassy Suites typical is a good thing. Our travelers love having the comfort of knowing when they make a reservation for an Embassy Suites they know exactly what they are getting. We try to exceed "typical" in service, but maintain it in the Embassy Suites product.

I am sorry that you found the noise from the cars below disturbing. Luckily, this is not a complaint we receive often. I invite readers of this review to look back at the many reviews we get and notice how little outside noise/disturbances are noted. I am glad you were able to be moved and had an enjoyable experience. We really appreciate when guests tell us of something that is bothering them while he/she is still in the hotel so we can have the opportunity to make it right.

Thank you again for the review and as always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

LizonMorton
Reviewed August 20, 2012

First, the pros: The check-in staff was helpful and friendly. The room and beds were comfortable, and the shower good. The room was very dark at night and quiet. Breakfast was good and the service at breakfast very friendly. They have lots of luggage carts.

Now, the cons: The hotel was hot and stuffy, and it wasn't a particularly hot week in Washington. It's close to National Airport, but there's no food in the immediate vicinity unless you want a 15-minute unpleasant walk to Pentagon City. (There is a shuttle bus 2x/hour, if you're patient.) The rooms have a mini-fridge, but no freezer, not even the small kind in the top of the mini-fridge. They didn't appear to have a bellhop to help with luggage.

My stay there wasn't bad, but there are enough options in the DC area that I wouldn't stay there again unless I got a really unbeatable rate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you found the staff to be friendly. I agree, the spaciousness of the suite makes it very comfortable.

You are correct, there is a shuttle that goes on schedule to the Pentagon City Mall/Pentagon City Metro Station. However, unlike most hotels in Crystal City, the Embassy Suites also offers a shuttle upon request that will go anywhere within Crystal City. There are so many restaurants in Crystal City, outside of the mall, that had you requested we would have happily taken you to.

I am sorry you found the walk to the mall to be unpleasant. Actually, some of our guests prefer the walk as it is only 3.5 blocks (10-15 minute walk) and choose to walk rather than take the shuttle. It is nice to have both options. I also apologize that you found the hotel to be hot and stuffy. This is not a comment we hear often and I invite readers of this review to mention the many other reviews and notice that this is not a common complaint/comment.

We hope if you return that you reconsider and choose to stay with us again. We invite you to take advantage of the shuttle that can take you to the restaurants. We will work hard to exceed your expectations.