Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Marcos, California
“Nice place”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed at the Embassy Suites for 3 nights. The service from all aspects was very good. I used the airport shuttle to and from Reagan and it worked great. The manager's reception from 5:30 - 7:30 was awesome with all kids of adult beverages to choose from. I had food a few times here and it was also very good (Cobb Salad was huge). The continental bfast was well appointed and had the usual items that were tasty. The hotel located close to a mall/metro station and the shuttle can take you there if need be. Oh and the room was very nice with flat screens in the bedroom and living room area. I really didnt spend much time in my room but it was clean and well appointed and nice. I never made it out to the pool. I would stay here again !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Randy817
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am so glad you had a positive hotel experience. The shuttle is a big convenience as it saves money on a rental car or taxi. The hotel offers shuttle service to both the airport & Pentagon City Metro Station.

I agree, the Manager's Reception is awesome! Where else can you get complimentary snacks, alcoholic & non alcoholic beverages for two hours? The Cobb Salad is one of our most requested items and I am glad you enjoyed it.

With all due respect, I must correct you about the breakfast. It is NOT a continental breakfast; it is a full breakfast. The breakfast offers pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, fruits, yogurt, muffins, bagels, breads, juices, coffee, and more. I think anyone would be hard pressed not to find something he/she enjoys at an Embassy Suites breakfast. Did i mention the breakfast is also complimentary for all guests?

Yes, our suites offer two 42" LCD televisions which makes it nice for people that want to relax in the room, but can't agree whether to watch American Idol or the baseball game. It also is a major plus for parents as their children can watch early morning cartoons in the living room while the parents sleep in the bedroom.

Next time you will have to enjoy the pool! Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Hebrew first
Napa
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This hotel is another example of an excellent hotel. I stayed here for 3 nights in May because I was in town for a graduation. The staff is helpful, the rooms are generous in size, comfortable, and equipped with the full ine of amenities. The hotel is conveniently located with a 6 minute walk to the Crystal City Metro, and it also provides van service every 30 minutes to the Pentagon City Metro. The reception every night has snacks and nibbles with free beverages, including wine, and the breakfast display is very generous. I highly recommend this hotel, and the prices were also good, especially for DC. There is also van service to Reagan National Airport starting at 5:40 AM.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. It is nice to read that you would highly recommend the Embassy Suites Crystal City. I am glad you enjoyed the amenities offered to all guests; a suite, complimentary full breakfast, and the Manager's Reception. We hope you return soon.

Thank you again for the review and as always I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 26, 2012

This was perfect. I travelled with my mom, a teenager and 6 and 8 year old. Fro shuttle to airport and metro was great. Rooms were big and comfy. Breakfast was an added plus. The pool was just the right size for the 2 kids. We will definitely stay here again. Note the metro stop they shuttle you to is pentagon city which is great as much more dining options than crystal city stop....Only complaint we could hear the freeway so would request room on other side next time or higher up...

Room Tip: We could hear the freeway so would request higher room or room on other side next time
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 4Schus
Thank you for the review. I am so glad to read that you would rate us as perfect! We try to exceed guest expectations so it is nice to see we succeeded in doing this with you.

The value in an Embassy Suites is not matched by other hotels. When you consider the suite, the complimentary breakfast and Manager's Reception for all occupants the value is unbeatable for comparable hotels.

Absolutely requests should be made for specific sides of the hotel that accommodate your needs. We will do our best to accommodate these requests. While I can not guarantee it, we typically do not have any challenges with this.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Denton, Texas
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We spent four nights at this hotel. We picked it for its shuttle to Reagan National Airport and the Metro. We never used the shuttle to the Metro, because it was only a short walk. Each day after hours of Washington DC sightseeing we were glad to be able to return to our hotel for the included happy hour which was quite good. Luckily the hotel restaurant served better than usual hotel restaurant fare. We ate there three nights, because we were too tired to go back out. The breakfast buffet was typical for Embassy Suites: basic hot buffet, eggs and omelets to order, bakery items, fruit etc. We had a very comfortable, quiet suite on the Eads Street side of the hotel. Request a room on this side as there is freeway noise on the back side. The desk staff was friendly, welcoming and helpful. That made our stay in a big city hotel much nicer. The only negative was that the charge to use the internet in your room was $12.95. We used the free internet in the business center, but did not find it very user friendly. This hotel is a good choice if you plan to use Reagan National and the Metro.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelynn47
Thank you for the review. I am glad to read you had a positive experience. I agree, the amenities added into the rate, such as the Manager's Reception make the Embassy Suites an excellent choice of hotels. It is so nice to be able to unwind with complimentary snacks as well as complimentary alcoholic & non alcoholic beverages after a long day.

Thank you for dining in the Crystal Grill. It is a great alternative to going back out of the hotel. It is humorous to me, because so many reviews offer recommendations of which side of the hotel to choose. Some like the S. Eads side and others like the freeway side. It is great we have alternatives to fit people's needs. Now, if only we had an ocean-view side!!

I appreciate you mentioning your positive interactions with the staff. We work hard to make sure every guest is satisfied - every time. The decision to charge for the internet is not one made at the hotel. Hilton Worldwide has decided to charge for the internet in all full service hotels (Hilton, Doubletree, & Embassy Suites). This is the same decision made at all major hotel chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc) as they too charge for the Internet at their full service hotels. However, as you noted, we do offer it complimentary in our business center and at our Internet quiosks. I am unsure why you found this to be non user friendly and welcome any direct feedback. While the quiosks and business center are run by an outside vendor, I will be glad to pass along any comments or suggestions.

Gatineau
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for four nights, my wife and me with our two kids. Price was very good considering the convenient two room suite with microwave and fridge. My kids and I enjoyed the indoor swimming pool. The service was excellent: The staff was always helpful and knowledgeable. Getting to downtown Washington, the Mall and the Smithsonian was a 20 minute affair and a breeze thanks to the convenient 5 minute shuttle to the metro station.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Francis D
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you for your review. II am glad that you found the value to be there in the cost of the suite. I agree that when you consider that it is a suite, complimentary breakfast for all occupants and the Manager's Reception the value of the cost is an excellent one compared to other hotels.

It is nice to read that you had positive interactions with the staff and enjoyed the pool. It actually is more convenient to get to the attractions in DC from the Embassy Suites than many downtown DC properties. The shuttle is a big favorite of our guests although the Metro station is within walking distance as well.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you return soon. I invite anyone reading my response to contact me anytime.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Each room as a living room with a sofa, TV and a desk. The room really feels like a 1 bedroom apartment. The complementary breakfast is decent and the hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to the Ronald Reagan airport (not to be confused with Dulles International!). If you cross the freeway there are a number of great places to eat. Ask the staff for directions.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room that faces the freeway! If you are super paranoid about noisy, ro...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for your review. I agree, the suites are fantastic! While other hotels call their larger rooms "suites", they are not usually true suites. The suites at Embassy Suites Hotels have a door that closes off the living room area from the bedroom area. This enables parents to have privacy while the kids are in the living room, or to have some friends back to your suite and keep the bedroom door closed so it does not feel like people are in your personal space. The extra room is great for longer stays too. At other hotels you most likely have to pay for the suite upgrade, but here every guest stays in a suite.

Yes, our shuttle is to Ronald Reagan Airport (DCA) and picks up at door 5 & 9 (behind baggage claim). There is also shuttle offered to the Metro and to the restaurants you mention in Crystal City.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you return soon. I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Overall this is a standard Embassy Suites Hotel. Furnishings are in acceptable shape with the bedroom much newer than the living area. Be sure to ask for a room facing Eads St. which is the front of the hotel, a side street. The rear rooms face a six lane expressway and have road traffic all night. If you are spending your time in Crystal City or need access to the Metro the location is great. This is especially true if you do not have a car. Staff is helpful. Morning breakfast is a hit or miss proposition. They have the best coffee I've had in a hotel. Steamtable items are in pans sitting in warm water making most of the offerings cool except if you dig down to the bottom. Made to order omlets are ok but made with a premix egg blend making them a bit bland. Cooked eggs were not available at the grill. I did not attend managers reception but looked good.If you have a car, I'd recommend staying elsewhere. The Homewood Suites on King St. in Alexandria would be my choice.It will be at least $50 a night less expensive, has free breakfast, free internet (Embassy charges $13), and free parking (Embassy charges $24 a night). Homewood suites are more modern and in a quieter location while only being 3 miles away from Crystal. Even if sightseeing in DC is on the agenda, you can drive in and park at Union Station for $20/24 hrs and be right at the tourmobile and other tour operators sights. You also avoid the Garage door at the Embassy Suites.Although they post a warning not to follow another car though,they do not tell you the door will close on you if someone is heading in the opposite direction and started the door activator before you did. Learn from my $600 lesson.

Room Tip: Stay on higher floors in the front of the hotel facing Eads St. Avoid any room in the rear of hotel...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank wizofwas
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am glad you enjoyed the suite. It is funny to me, because other guests request the highway side over the South Eads side. Every guest has a preference and we try to accommodate all requests.

The omelet station is cooked to order. We have many guests that prefer scrambled eggs off the station rather than from the buffet, also sunny side up eggs are made as are omelets. I am sorry if you could not receive the egg type you were looking for and am curious as to what that was so I can let the Director of Food & Beverage know. We try to accommodate all guest's requests to make the breakfast experience more enjoyable. I am glad you enjoyed the coffee so much! Next time you will have to enjoy the Manager's Reception. It is an excellent way to unwind at the end of a long day or a great way to get the night started.

The Homewood Suites by Hilton is a very nice hotel. Keep in mind it is a limited service hotel and those three miles can take up a lot time if driving as there are many great things about the DC Metro area, but traffic is not one of them. There are many great tour options that are convenient to get to from the Embassy Suites Crystal City.

We have guests driving in and out of the garage everyday; many of them at the same time. The garage door opens when you put your key in the swipe then the gate opens afterwards. I am unaware of any other instances when the garage closed on a car that properly entered the key in the swipe. I am sorry that this happened to you, but perhaps the key was not swiped correctly or you accidentally followed another car in without swiping your card.

I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. I do hope the readers of this review will read the other reviews that show your experience to not be the norm. We do hope you return so we can work hard to raise your impression of the Embassy Suites Crystal City. Thank you again for the review. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.