Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport
Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We booked a room here for a girls weekend. We were very pleased with the service. When we got to our room, the fridge would not cool our drinks. We called the desk and they replaced it immediately. The room was very clean and spacious, The breakfast buffet and managers reception was great. The shuttle took us to and from the metro station and ran every half hour. I will stay again for sure! Worth every penny!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amanda L
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Thank you for the review. It is so nice to read about your positive experience. I hope you had a great girls weekend as I know how special time away is. My apologies the initial refrigerator did not work correctly, but I am glad to read the response was quick and efficient.

The shuttle is a great alternative to get to the Metro and mall. Of course, it is a quick three block walk, but if the weather is not cooperating or you just don't feel like walking, the shuttle is very convenient. I am glad you took advantage of it.

Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone to contact me directly.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed March 9, 2012

The average rating I am giving is based on other Embassy Suites not against other hotels. We had a standard Embassy Suites experience which is NOT a bad thing. I think this hotel does a good job to live up to the Embassy brand. I had a nice stay in a clean room. The breakfast buffet was standard Embassy except the breakfast bar food was always COLD - either put in better warmers or provide a microwave in the breakfast area. The made to order omelets, are always delicious (please tip the chefs). The manager's reception was standard (better at the Embassy at Disney) but you can't knock free drinks. I ate at their restaurant, the Crystal Grill - yum yum. Try the buttermilk shrimp appetizer, they do something with dill and feta and it tastes really good. A great staff at the grill, I wish I could remember our waitress name (two nights in a row) - Kimiko (maybe), Pleasant woman, fast, and attentive. Tonya did a nice job checking us in but don't call the desk late night, I guess the staff gets crabby from no sleep (wasn't helpful). All in All, I will stay again and you should to - you will not be disappointed if you go expecting a true Embassy experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank exposingthetruth
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Thank you for your review. I often tell people the best thing about Embassy Suites vs. other hotel brands is the consistency from hotel to hotel. My apologies that the breakfast food was cold. This is not a comment we usually receive as the buffet is kept warm so the food is enjoyable. Your comment will definitely be shared with the Director of Food & Beverage. He will also be made aware of your nice comment about the Crystal Grill. I am glad to read you enjoyed your meal and your server will be thanked for her great service.

While I am glad that you had a nice experience with Tonya, I am sorry that your late evening call was not a positive one. Regardless of the hour, the desk staff (and all employees) should be pleasant & helpful. Tonya and the Director of Front Office will work with the staff to remind them of this.

Thank you for the detailed review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my response to contact me anytime.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

The Embassy Suites in Crystal city is a solid choice if you want a hotel close to DC, but not actually in DC. The area is beautiful and metropolitan. The breakfast and manager's reception are both free and wonderful. The rooms are huge, clean and well-appointed. I would absolutely stay at Embassy Suites Crystal City again!!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank ChrissySchmissy

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read they you had such a positive experience. I agree, due to the large suites, complimentary breakfast, and Manager's Reception the Embassy Suites offers a fantastic value. A lot of people prefer to be right outside of DC rather than in the District, due to ease of access and difference in cost. We look forward to your return. As always, anyone reading my response can contact me anytime.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

My family stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in January. My husband and I have have 3 young boys, two of whom have physical disabilities and require wheelchairs for walking long distances. Because of this, I was hesitant about not staying downtown, but really wanted a suite for the five of us. I was also concerned that the shuttle service would be unavailable to us as we would be transporting not one, but two wheelchairs. I worried for nothing. I contacted the manager, Kevin, (who responds to all these reviews) who assured me that their staff would be welcoming and helpful. They were that and so much more. I regret not knowing everyone's name, but the front desk manager went out of his way every single time we saw him to ask if he could help us, even offering me his umbrella one day as we were leaving because he thought it might rain. The ladies working in the restaurant and manager's reception were beyond pleasant and friendly. Every single shuttle driver was extremely patient and helpful with loading the wheelchairs, especially the "around town" driver who took great care in securing my 6 year olds wheelchair in the shuttle. He took us to a restaurant, gave us a number to call for the return trip, and was there by the time we made it outside the door. The indoor pool was a hit with my children, and the lifeguard even let them borrow her goggles and found them a ball to play with in the pool.

We had a corner suite that more than met our needs. The beds were very comfortable, and the extra TV was worth so much to our family. Breakfast was perfect, lots of variety and the food was replaced quickly. We enjoyed the manager's reception snacks as well. If I had one request (and I am reaching here!) it would be that they make the drink (soft drinks and juice) available more throughout the day instead of just at breakfast and the managers reception.

Everything my family does requires many extra steps, we understand this. It is so refreshing in this busy culture to be supported by others in our endeavors. Our children loved seeing the sites of our nation's capitol, and this mom is thankful for the staff of this hotel that helped make it happen. When we return to DC, we will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Trappedinthecity
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that your stay experience was such a positive one. Thank you for contacting me prior to your arrival about your concerns so we could be sure the staff was prepared to make your families stay an enjoyable one. That is exactly why when I respond that I give my information as I want anyone to contact me anytime.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to the entire team. We take guest comments very seriously and the staff will be so thrilled to read this review. While we appreciate the advance notice, the staff will work that hard for all guests to ensure they leave wanting to come back.

Your suggestion on the soft drinks will be passed on to the General Manager. We do offer complimentary drinks during the breakfast & Manager's Reception, however keep in mind that soft drinks are also available through out the day in the restaurant or at the bar. Thank you for the suggestion as many of our changes are based on guest comments & observations.

Thank you again for the fantastic review and we look forward to your family returning soon. While we all have many tasks to complete as hotel employees, at the end of the day our #1 job is to do whatever is needed to make sure our guests are happy. I am glad we achieved this goal with your stay. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on several previous business trips to the Pentagon, but it seems to have slipped a little since then. Reception staff is still friendly, courteous, and informative; no improvement needed there. The hotel shuttle is very convenient and saved us from having to take a cab to a local restaurant; the driver even gave us his cell# and said to give him a call when we were ready; what great service! So what's not to like? The suites have been renovated, as advertised, but is was mostly cosmetic: new window treatments, wall coverings, cabinetry and counter tops, but they left in the 20th Century, water-guzzling 3.5 gallon toilets. Why they didn't swap out these antiques is a puzzle; the new water-conserving 1.6 gallon models are not expensive and would have quickly amortized the cost with their efficiency (they could also have installed the popular "chair height" models at the same time). The new wallpaper was peeling in places (no exhaust fan;) and there was a lot of mildew in the grout joints in the bathtub tile work. The Manager's Reception didn't start until 5:30 PM (I could have sworn it started earlier when I stayed here before). The breakfast service has definitely taken a turn for the worse since my last stay; when we went down for breakfast at 7:30, every table in the "pergola" area that wasn't occupied still had dirty dishes on the table (as did many other empty tables in the greater dining area). Eventually a member of the staff materialized and started busing tables, albeit without a sense of urgency. Fruit selection was limited to chopped cantaloupe and honeydew melon; that was it; I know this used to be better. Last, parking is advertised at $22.95 a night, but they charged me $23.95 (I didn't catch this until after we checked out).
Don't get me wrong; I would stay here again, but this hotel could be so much better.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 73Duck
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Thank you for your review. I really appreciate you pointing out the positive experiences you had along with the negative ones. It is nice to read that you had positive interactions with the staff and I will be sure to notify the Front Office Manager of the great service you received from the shuttle driver. I agree, the complimentary shuttle service is a fantastic amenity as it not only saves money that would be needed from a cab, it is also much more convenient.

I will make sure the Director of Engineering and the General Manager are aware of your suggestions regarding the toilet and the ceiling fan. Many renovation decisions are made by the owners of the hotel and not the staff on property, but the General Manager does pass guest comments to ownership and I know they keep these in mind when making decisions. Thank you for the suggestion!

You are correct, the Manager's Reception used to be 5pm - 7pm, but that was changed many years ago. Again, this decision is not made on the property, but actually by the Corporate Office. The Manager Reception hours should be the same at all Embassy Suites Hotels.

It is surprising to read your comments about the breakfast staff not keeping up with turning the tables. This is typically one of our staff's strengths as we know how important it is to get the tables cleaned in a timely manner. Your comment will be shared with the breakfast team. I am sorry that the service was lacking during your stay. The food selection is also decided on by the Corporate Office as the goal is to have every Embassy Suites be consistent in their offerings.

The parking cost was increased from $22.95 to $23.95 recently. Please alert me where you saw it still advertised as $22.95 so I can have that updated. Also, please contact me and I will be glad to refund you $1 per night for the difference.

Thank you again for the review. I am glad you will be coming back and we will work hard so you have another positive stay experience. Also I thank you for all the great suggestions on how to improve the Embassy Suites Crystal City. As always, I invite anybody reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

My flight got canx and Embassy Suites saved my bacon. Hotel had room, picked me up at airport, fed me and returned me to airport the following morning.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your flight got canceled as I know how frustrating that is. However, I am glad we were there to assist you. The complimentary shuttle sure makes it convenient to get to and from Reagan National Airport (DCA). i hope your next visit is a planned one and one that you get to spend more time enjoying the area as well as the hotel.

Thank you again for the review. As always, I invite anyone reading my response to contact me directly.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is a clean property near the Reagan Airport with free shuttle every 20 minutes. The shuttle even took a group of us to and from a local restaurant. Breakfast was good and nice to have made omelets to order. Room nice and clean and exercise facilities small but ok. Will stay again - could use better snacks for the wine reception but it changed nightly.

Room Tip: none have views so don't expect. Check orbit for different prices on this hotel - I had a grea...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CheapEats019

Thank you for your review. I am aso glad you took advantage of the complimentary shuttle service. Actually, the shuttles run to Reagan Airport every 30 minutes (every 15 minutes during peak times 6-10am and 4-10pm) as well as Pentagon Metro Station. One advantage that the Embassy Suites Crystal City has over most other area properties is that another complimentary shuttle is offered to all points within Crystal City. This shuttle is available on request. It makes dining out, shopping, or going to local office buildings very convenient.

I agree, having a a cooked to order omelet is an excellent way to start the morning. Some of our omelet cooks have been working for us for over 15 years. That's a lot of omelets!!

Our new fitness room just opened and while it is a perfect size for many guests, we do have an agreement with a local LA Fitness to allow all of our guests to work out there free of charge. Our shuttle can take guests there upon request.

The Manager's Reception does offer different food options through out the week. If you have any suggestions on what you would like to see please let me know and I will be glad to pass them onto the Director of Food & Beverage.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.