“Perfect family base for Washington DC visit”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport
Ranked #10 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Park City, UT
“Perfect family base for Washington DC visit”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I was very pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The service was extremely good. We requested a rollaway and it was there in minutes and staff were very helpful with a great attitude. The suites are great for families with the separate bedroom so parents can stay up later and/or sleep in later and the kids can watch their own TV, although we did get burned by our daughter ordering a PPV movie, at $20! Outside of this the hotel offered outstanding value especially considering the huge free buffet breakfast, and the two hour nightly managers reception. The kids eating free and free airport shuttle was a huge bonus too. The restaurant was fine as long as your expectations are not too high. The pool being staffed with two lifeguards was a nice touch, especially since they helped stop the place getting too crowded as it's not a large pool or space. I highly recommend it and will definitely stay again when travelling to DC with the kids.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thank you for the review. You are correct, the suite set up is awesome for families. As an fyi, you can shut off the movie service to avoid future movies or games being ordered without your knowledge.

Thank you for the detailed review and I do hope you return soon (with or without the kids!). As always anyone can contact me anytime.

Kevin B. Feldman'
kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Hebrew first
New York, NY
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Obviously a less expensive choice than many hotels within DC itself. This property is over the river in Arlington and near the airport. We did not hear airport noise from the rooms, though you could hear highway noise from the bedroom and hallway/center noise from the living room. There's a pullout bed in the living room, which is why I imagine most people would choose this property, but because of the ever-bizarre layout of the Embassy Suites where there's a rectangular perimeter of rooms around an open square which is the center breakfast activity, there's set-up and then meal noise from 630a on. The rooms can also be incredibly dark -- advise to keep the curtains in all rooms open a smidge so you don't lose time completely. In our room on the 7th floor, there were strange wooshing and clunking noises from the bathroom occasionally and we had a problem getting hot water two days in a row.

Breakfast was included and decent. Pickings could be slim if you didn't get there within the first hour -- some things like baked goods didn't seem to be replenished at all, just first come first serve. Room service available, but on the same smaller menu as downstairs. I wasn't too impressed with the food or choices on the menu for dinner.

There is a small pool and whirlpool. There also appeared to be a shuttle to the nearest DC Metro stop(s). Parking garage below with elevator connecting to hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. In reading your review, I am not sure why you call the hotel a strange place. You are correct, it is built like most Embassy Suits with the Atrium. It is funny, some people love the Atrium atmosphere and others do not. I recall an old Embassy Suites ad that said "Unlike other hotels, when you open the door from room 916 the first thing you see is not room 917". The noise can be an issue, but we try our best to contain it. The set up is unique.

Yes, as most people love sleeping as late as possible, there can be quite a rush at 9:45-10:00 on Saturdays & Sundays when breakfast ends at 10:30. If you get down at approximately 7:30 or 8, you could have the place to yourself. We do try to replenish the foods as they run out.

The hotel has a brand new Director of Food & Beverage. He will be changing the menu prices and items. I invite you to contact me with any suggestions as he will be using guest suggestions to help mold the new menus. You are correct - the hotel offers complimentary shuttle to Reagan Airport, the Pentagon City Metro, Pentagon City Fashion Centre Mall, and other Crystal City destinations. I do hope you will return!

Thank you again for the review and I do invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 11, 2011

While attending a family reunion our stay was comfortable. The housekeeping staff did an outstanding job keeping my room clean. The decor was very eye appealing and the best part was the room darking curtains. I didn't think the breakfast was all that great, particularlly the omlets.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comment. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and would return. My apologies you did not enjoy your omelet. This is surprising as most people love the cooked to order omelets. I do hope when you return you have a much more enjoyable omelet experience. Thank you for the review and for staying with us. As always, i invite anyone to contact me anytime.

delaware
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We love the Embassy Suites! Easy access to metro station at Pentagon City Mall, free happy hour, amazing breakfast, favorite pillows.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am so happy you had such a great stay! We look forward to your return and will continue to work hard to make the Embassy Suites Crystal City your favorite hotel in the DC Metro area. As always, anyone can contact me anytime.

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This is a typical business class hotel. Rooms are standard, quiet and clean. The night I arrived the managers reception was in progress with about 30 minutes left. Their wasn't a piece of food to found anywhere. Them vittles had been picked over. All that was left was cracker crumbs and a few pieces of cheese that had been dropped on the floor. The morning breakfast was ok. Eggs were a little cold, but there was no place to sit. A number of tables were empty but piled high with dirty dishes that needed to be bused. A little better manpower planning is in order to keep the tables cleaned for the turnover. Perhaps the manager should sit down In the cafe and look at all the areas tha need cleaning....take note of all the cobwebs on the light fixtures. Finally parking can be a challenge when the house is full. Both nights I was there it was a difficult to find a hole to squeeze me car into.

• Stayed July 2011
Thank you for your review. We do try to replenish the food offered at the Manager's Reception through out the 5:30 - 7:30 timeframe. My apologies if this did not occur when you were there. The staff for breakfast is set based on the occupancy. Without knowing the specific morning you ate, I can not speak to why the turnover seemed slower than usual. It could be a call off occurred, we had more guests than anticipated, or many other factors. However, in the end we failed in our attempt to make eating breakfast an enjoyable experience and for that I am sorry. Thank you for the note on the condition of the Atrium, I have passed this to the Director of Housekeeoing for follow up.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return. Anyone can contact me anytime!

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is a great place to stay. Easy walk to the subway via short cut through the Marriot.
Super breakfast, the staff was very helpful, My son was ill and the stff drove us to the drug store at 4:00 am.... who does that any more!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am sorry your son became ill, but am happy the staff went above & beyond in helping you. I do hope you will contact me with the agents name or date of stay so we can recognize this. We ask our employees to do whatever it takes to please a guest and I am so happy to read this occured for you. We hope you return to have a healthy and fun visit soon!

Should anyone be reading this want to contact me; please do!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Our family (2 adults, 1 child) stayed here during Easter weekend. It was a nice hotel for traveling to and from D.C. on the metro (the hotel bus dropped us off and picked us up from a Metro station a few blocks away). The breakfast area was very crowded and had lots to offer; however, the egg dishes seemed undercooked. We would stay here again though......good value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. My apologies that your eggs appeared under cooked. I am not sure if you are referring to an omelet made for you or the scrambled eggs located in the buffet. Should this occur again please bring it to our attention while you are here. We can have another omelet made for you or cook some scrambled eggs to your liking.

I am glad you took advantage of the convenience the hotel shuttle offers. We hope you return soon. Anyone reading my responses can contact me anytime.