“Not good for families”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta
“Not good for families”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

First room we had smelled really bad. Second room was okay. Great 42inch tv's, no HD, what a waste. $25 per day to park is too high. Elevator from parking was broken. Lots of people smoking at the front door. $30 for a roll away was too much. Staff was not very friendly. We will be looking for another hotel tomorrow.

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Hebrew first
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed at the Embassy Suites for a few days before Easter, and the employees seemed to under-staffed to handle the crowds at breakfast and at the manager's special. The breakfast staff didn't clean off tables in a timely manner so others could use them. The cocktail hour had long lines. From Easter Sunday through Wednesday, things ran much more smoothly as there were fewer guests. A couple of times we missed the shuttle because it was already full when it pulled up to the Embassy Suites. Our room was very clean; the housekeeping staff is very conscientious and pleasant.
All in all...we enjoyed our stay....especially when the crowds (and rude children, which is the parent's responsibility, not the Embassy Suites) cleared out.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Thank you for your review. My apologies you had to wait for a table to be cleaned. Our staff does their best to keep up with the high turnover. I always recommend to all guests that during busy times you come to breakfast between 7-8am. A lot of the crowd tries to sleep as late as possible then jam the breakfast area in the final hour. We will continue to do our best to keep up and ensure everyone has an enjoyable experience. We hope you return soon!

New York, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

This was our second stay and though there were some minor issues we still believe this hotel is a good value for the money. The hotel was booked on our first night so the cocktail hour was overcrowded with a long line for cocktails and they ran out of snacks long before we got there. The next morning it was more of the same at breakfast -- they had trouble keeping up with clean silverware and dishes and ran out of lots of food selections. The next 2 days were less crowded and the breakfast and cocktails hours were good. Pool is really small so not really designed for families.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for returning to the Embassy Suites Crystal City. My apologies that the snacks ran out at the Manager's Reception and the food ran out at breakfast. That is highly unusual. Without knowing the specifics of your stay my guess would be there was an unexpected last minute group or demand as typically the hotel is well prepared for the large crowds. I am glad you had positive things to say about the value and good service. We hope you will return for a 3rd visit! Please contact me anytime.

Logan, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

Very nice hotel. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed the manager's nightly snacks & drinks. The only thing I see needs improvement is the cleaning service.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am glad you found the staff to be pleasant & helpful. The employees are all empowered to do whatever it takes to make the guests happy. I wish you were more specific as to part of the cleaning you'd like to see improved. We take guest comments very seriously as we use them to improve. The cleanliness of the Embassy Suites is typically a strength and often mentioned positively in reviews & guest surveys. We will continue to try & improve and please contact me directly if you'd like to expand on your thoughts.
I also invite any reader of my response to contact me anytime.

Happy travels

Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

We were very pleased. The staff was all very nice and it appears that all the rooms have been redone (pictures on site are the rooms prior). Our room was very clean and nicely decorated. When we booked we had wanted a hotel that was closer to the "mall" area of DC but as it ended up this hotel is only 3 minutes by taxi to the mall area. Very Nicley located the hotel will shuttle you to the metro and such. we were there for 9 days and we never waited more then 5 minutes for a taxi and each day were in DC with-in 10 minutes from the time we hit the lobby. The free breakfast was great but we only used it a few times because I was never able to get my kids off of California time (free breakfast durning week only till 9:30).
The larger rooms are a huge plus. The staff is really great and helpful. Ask for Bryan. great guy and went out of his way to make sure we were happy with our stay.
Plain and simple a really nice place to stay with a family that is hitting the sites of dc.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same so really its not a proble.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. You are correct, the hotel was just earlier this year and the rooms look fantastic. It is such a quick ride into the mall area or a quick shuttle ride to the Metro that I am unsure why anyone would want to put up with the higher prices and hassle of being in DC. Crystal City is the place to be! I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast on some of the days. The breakfast hours are extended until 10:30 on Sat & Sun to accommodate the late sleepers. The staff works hard to ensure every guest is happy and I will be sure to share your comments with Rayan.

Please come back soon and I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy Travels -

Kevin B, Feldman
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

My husband and I came to Washington DC with our 13 year old granddaughter. We appreciated having a suite so she could have some privacy, as well as more space. We usually walked to the Crystal City metro stop, although the hotel provides a shuttle. The Marriott Hotel about 2 blocks away has a shortcut, which also takes you through the underground Crystal City shops. We liked the breakfast every morning, and usually took advantage of the drinks and snacks later in the afternoon. The beds were comfortable and we all slept well. There was some street noise which was to be expected. Our only minor complaint was that the pool was quite small, but it looked and felt clean. For us, it was an expensive hotel, but then all the places we checked for DC were as much or more. The area felt safe, even when coming back from the metro around 11PM. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am so glad you enjoyed the newly renovated suites. While the Metro station is only a 3 block walk, the hotel does offer a complimentary shuttle for those that choose not to walk. I agree, the value is excellent with the suite, breakfast, & manager's reception. We look forward to your return.

Harleysville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Crystal City on a business trip. The location was great - walkable to the Pentagon City metro or an easy drive into town. It's a good spot for those who want easy access to the city without the hassle of actually being in town.

The Embassy lobby and atrium are lovely. Rooms are comfortable, incredibly spacious and clean. We were very happy with the room set-up, which included a kitchenette, sitting area and separate bedroom. The pool and gym facilities were nice as well. Service at the hotel was ok - we had a problem with the AC/heating unit in our room but they weren't able to fix it until the next day, though they did give us a fan in the meantime.

The only serious drawback at this property were the additional charges. Internet access cost $13 per day, and parking was $22. The parking I can forgive to a point, seeing as this is the DC area and overcharging for parking is par for the course, but Internet access was more expensive than most hotels. There is a free business center for light Internet use but those traveling on business will likely need in-room access. If you're on a budget take this into consideration before you book.

Overall the spaciousness and location of the Embassy Suites was great, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Wanderlust1982
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am so glad to read you enjoyed our newly renovated suites and agree that they are quite spacious and fresh looking. The complimentary shuttle sure makes it easy to get to the Metro and Airport. Many of our guests enjoy the 3 block walk to the Metro, that is always an option if you prefer rather than the shuttle.

I agree with you on the parking charge. Coming from a small town, I was quite surprised at the charges for parking (until I went to New York and saw $50 per night parking!). The company that rund the garage owns many garages both in northern VA & DC. They constantly do competitive pricing shops and our prices do fall in line with other comparable hotels in the area.

The decision to charge for the internet is not one made at the hotel level. Hilton Worldwide has decided to charge for internet in all full service brands (Doubletree by Hilton, Embassy Suites, & Hilton). This is the same decision that is found in all major hotel chains for their full service brands (Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton, etc). Like the parking, we do check the other hotels to ensure our prices are not out of the ballpark. After reading your review, I did call other hotels and found the rates to be $10 - $15 for the internet. As you mention, we do offer a full complimentary business center with both pc's ready to browse the internet and also a laptop hook up if you choose to use your own computer. I do want to point out that as a HHonor amenity all Gold & Diamond members receive complimentary internet.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. My apologies for the heat/ac issue, but am confident that should you return you will see this was an isolated incident.

I invite anyone reading my responses to please contact me anytime.