All reviewsbike patheast falls churchno elevatorchasin tailsminute walkcontinental breakfastfree parkingroom was cleanyogurtbudget hoteldc areastarbucks coffeenice neighborhoodsafe walkorange linesmall bathroomvending machine
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Located in friendly, safe North Arlington neighborhood. Adjacent to hiking & bike trails, good restaurants, 5 minute walk to Metro station orange line which runs directly to DC mall and museums, as well as White House and Congress... one train switch to get to Reagon Nat'l Airport and Old Town Alexandria and one train switch to get to National Zoo. For travellers arriving via metro from airports/ train station with luggage a cab stand is located right outside the Metro stop. Room rates are very reasonable and the hotel is well managed, has friendly/helpful staff, and the rooms are comfortable and clean. In my opinion it is a great place to stay and not spend a small fortune for a room you spend little time in when travelling to DC. I generally spend 2 nights per week there for the past several years when traveling to DC on business. I have never had an unpleasant stay while there. I like the easy access for auto transportation and generally never use the car while I am there. Many restaurants to choose from in walking distance to 5 minutes driving from the hotel varying from fast food to fine dining. For shoppers Tyson's Corner Mall is only about 10 minutes drive away and Ballston Commons Mall is about a 5 minute drive.

In my opinion has to be the best value for a visit to DC unless of course you need to impress someone with 5 star status lodging.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank beenthere042
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We stayed here before taking off for a bike trip from Washington to Pittsburgh. Our plan was to stay outside of the city in an affordable, clean hotel for the night. This place met all our expectations. The rooms were smallish but very clean with all the ammenities you really need - microfridge, LCD TV, etc. The person behind the front desk wasn't exactly the friendliest, but the breakfast and cleaning staff were very warm and welcoming. The motel is within close driving distance of Reagan National Airport and away from the bustle of D.C. The rooms were barely over $100/night with AAA which was a bargain considering that most in the area went for upwards of $170-$240. Didn't get a good night's sleep but wouldn't fault the beds for that. Overall a pleasant stay and a great place to call home for a night or two.

• Stayed: July 2010
econometro, General Manager at Econo Lodge Metro, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2015

Wow we are thrilled .... You tried and we exceeded your expectations in all areas of the hotel. Your nice words really made our day . We are an economy hotel, but never believe in cutting corners therefore always want our guests to experience the best stay possible . Your experience support it and we appreciate your review, which will give us an opportunity to better ourselves. We are delighted to know that you would like to stay with us again and we are looking forward to it. Thank you!

Reviewed August 6, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel over a busy holiday weekend. It may not be the prettiest or fanciest hotel we have ever stayed at, but we had a very pleasant stay. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on and the room was the cleanest I have ever seen in a hotel. I was extremely impressed! The hotel is very convenient to get to from the highway and even with a bit of a walk, was convenient to the Metro. Do take mote that you must walk down and back up a lot of stairs to access the Metro, but for us, it was no trouble as we had nothing to cart with us. We decided not to partake in the free breakfast (not the greatest) but instead hopped the Metro, got off the next stop and ate at IHop. We wouldn't recommed a long stay here, but would recommend for s night or two!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I recently stayed at the Econolodge Metro, and found the name to be a bit misleading. Beware: not only is this hotel not very economical (you'll pay at least $100 a night for a modest room) but it's also not that close to the Metro.

When I emerged from the East Falls Church Metro with a moderately heavy suitcase and a garment bag on a typical 90 degree, 90% humidity Virginia summer day, I was dismayed to be confronted by a huge flight of concrete stairs on the path toward the hotel! Hauling my bags up the steps, I was dripping with sweat by the time I was done... and I still wasn't anywhere near the motel. In fact, I could not even see the motel! Turns out that it was six blocks away, down a claustrophobic bike/jogging path with a concrete wall on one side and high, often opaque fences on the other. (I wasn't very worried about being attacked, but the path -- which offers absolutely NO escape route -- would be daunting if one were female or if one were either sex and walking alone at night.) It turns out that there's an alternate route that goes down a street in a residential neighborhood and looks a bit safer, but it wasn't obvious. I had to maneuver between the trailers at a construction site to find it.

In any case, rolling my luggage down the path, I arrived at the hotel -- even more soaked with sweat -- only to be asked for my credit card to pay for the room. I explained to the clerk that I had prepaid online (via Choice Hotels' "Choice Privileges" site), and that if she took my card for anything it should only be for amenities. But she kept on insisting that she needed to charge me for the room itself. Not very good customer service!

I was directed to a room on the third floor of the motel and had my next unpleasant surprise: the motel has no elevator! Again, I schlepped my luggage up a flight of stairs and was at last in the room. Immediately, I was greeted by an intense, musty, moldy smell that appeared to be coming from the room's air conditioner. (In humid climates, air conditioners accumulate moisture and can harbor mold; apparently, this had happened in the room and the motel hadn't bothered to clean it.) I opened the window and aired the room out a bit, but couldn't get air conditioning without being forced to put up with the smell.

The hotel was advertised as offering breakfast, but the breakfast that was on offer in the front lobby was rather lean compared to what one gets at most motels that advertise breakfast. There were juice, bagels, cereal, English muffins, coffee... but no fruit, no waffles (most motels nowadays have waffle makers), and nothing containing any substantial amount of protein other than milk.

In any event, I persevered through the stay, going back and forth to DC on the Metro (about a 10-15 minute walk to the train and then 45 minutes in the MetroRail system to get into DC). But I'm not sure it was worth it to save a few bucks.... Next time I'll look for something that's closer to the Metro, closer to downtown, and without the other problems I've mentioned above.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank ITManager
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Considering the prices of hotels in DC, this little hotel is an excellent value for the money. It's very clean, safe, and the staff is friendly. We stayed for 5 nights in October. The room was bigger than I expected. The metro stop is about a 5-minute walk. We walked it every day. And yes, the neighborhood you walk through seemed safe to us. If you are going during the winter, the walk from the metro might not be so nice. You need to have reasonable expectations. This isn't the Mayflower, but then it's not $400 a night either. In the morning they set out toast, cereal, juice etc. It's fine for a quick start. It doesn't appear that there are many restaurants or shops close to the hotel. The one restaurant we found (right behind the hotel) wasn't very good. You'd do better to hop on the Metro and go into DC. We will definitely stay at the EconoLodge again if we go to DC.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple