WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Arlington
Richmond, VA
“Good location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

We needed a place to stay for the night, and this hotel was one of the cheapest in the area. The desk staff was very nice and welcoming. The rooms were average size as well as clean, but the bathroom was very small. The breakfast was rather lacking (no fruit or microwave), but had the basic cereal, muffins, and juice. Also, the Metro station is within walking distance. If you want a hotel convenient to the DC area, and don't plan on spending much time in the hotel, this is a good choice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2009

In town to visit D.C., stayed here three nights. I chose this place because most reviews included words to the effect of "safe and clean" and yes, the hotel seemed to be both. It was also close to the east falls church station along the orange line, and as we were traveling without a car, this was important.

These factors alone are what I was looking for, as I really just needed a place to sleep and shower in that would satisfy my requirements.

The breakfast is light, but if you're in town for D.C., muffins, toast, cereal, juice and coffee is really all you need for the walk down to the metro. Hotel food is not the reason why I travel, so this was just fine; waffles, eggs, and bacon, would have been nicer, but for the price, hey, it was sufficient. They have a cereal that is like Raisin Bran but it also had some granola clusters - yummy. I would have enjoyed some yogurt, but you can't have everything...

There is a sitting room in the downstairs floor with sitting space, vending machines, a computer (and washer and dryer room). I was able to print my boarding passes at no charge (because I only needed 2 pages).

The room itself was no frills - no closet, small soap, small shampoo, but each bed had FOUR pillows! That was a plus, and asking for an extra bottle of shampoo was no problem. The room seemed to be a bit old, but it looks like another hotel is being built next door. Also, construction noise began at 7 a.m., which didn't bother me in the least, since we got up early every day for our day in D.C.

One thing about the bathroom, though - the shower head in my room was sub standard (inadequate flow patterns), but I generally dislike hotel showers, so this may not mean anything to the average traveler.

Upon check-in, I asked if I could have either my 15% choice hotels or my AARP discount, and was told that the discount needed to have been requested at the time of reservation, but they would give me 10%. At check-out, I noticed the discount had only been applied to two nights, but after pointing this out, the manager corrected this with no problem.

They also will hold your bags for you after check out, which is important, because many places in D.C. won't let you in with your bags.

We flew into Dullles and took the Washington flyer bus to the West Falls Church station, where we took the metro to East Falls Church.

As you exit the station, make a right to the parking lot, and another right to the steps. At the top, make a sharp right, then another right onto the bike path. The path is lit at night, and there is a little bit of graffiti on two properties (the bike path runs behind a residential neighborhood); we mostly saw commuters going to or from work. Two nights we arrived at the metro station quite late, but the walk to the hotel was just fine; cold, but that's it. I didn't time the walk but I would say that it took 10 - 15 minutes; it was an easy walk, but some people may not be able to handle 35 or so steps.

My only complaints would be that the one staff member I asked did not have a clue about a place to have breakfast (on our departure day) other than to say there was an IHOP near another station along the orange line; unfortunately she wasn't sure how to direct me to it (the IHOP). Also, I noticed that the housekeeping staff was hovering near the breakfast area - not sure if it was to replenish breakfast, or to keep track of how soon we all left for our day in D.C.??? In any case, I tipped them.

One last FYI: since we arrived at Dulles in the afternoon, and we went into D.C. in the evening, we were beat that night and took a cab back to the hotel. I gave the driver the street address and when he looked puzzled, and I said Arlington - he took city streets and it cost about $22 with tip. The driver said that if I had said Falls Church the trip would not have taken so long (about 1/2 hour) but it would not have changed the price much. I'll never know...

Anyway, if you're in town to visit D.C., this place is affordable, comfortable, clean, safe, and convenient.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2009

The hotel was nice and clean with a flat screen TV in the room which was awesome. Make the room looked a bit upscale. I mean it's a higher end hotel for a econo lodge. I paid $100/night for this hotel, which was a bit high but I think it's hard to find a hotel at this price around DC which are nice and clean and in a good location. The walk is about 10 minutes to the metro, I wouldn't recommend a girl walks back to hotel by herself at night though. The area is safe but the walk is a bit secluded from the street and stuff. I think if the hotel is price at $80/night, it would be totally a great buy, but hey it's DC area $100 is not bad.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank MaroonGirl
MaIne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

I had to leave in the middle of the night after I was bitten by bed bugs.
I have not heard back from the manager after one email exchange.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank debra_is_now
econometro, MANAGER at Econo Lodge Metro, responded to this review, March 16, 2009
A thorough investigation was performed with the help of a certified pest control company, and as per their report no infestation of such nature was found.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2008

We stayed at this hotel in October for 4 nights, based on reveiws from this site.

There is a short walk (10 mins) to the Metro station via a bike path, or street if you want. The area would be classed as quiet suburbia, so we felt safe walking through there at night, after sightseeing all day. It's then a 20 minute train ride to the city. Trains run frequently, so it's not too long a wait.

The room we were in was clean and it had 2 queen beds, which were really comfortable, and a fridge, as well as limited cable TV. While we were there, there was some construction work going on next door, but there weren't any problems with noise, as we left for the city early, and came back after dark. There were laundry facilities (washer and dryer), internet kiosk - 1 only, and vending machines for snacks and drinks. The breakfast was adequate, although there wasn't any dining room, so you had to take a tray back to your room. Front desk staff were very friendly.

Being in the middle of suburbia, there was only a French restaurant next door and a cafe a little further down the road. Unfortunately, it's not close enough to the city to be able to go back and freshen up in the afternoon, and then go back out, so we just stayed out sightseeing all day.

Overall, our experience there was good, and I would recommend this hotel for budget travellers, or people that want good value for money.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — No dining room for breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jimh316
Manchester, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

Stayed for 3 nights..9/24 - 9/27. As we were there Weds with a checkout on Saturday all the hotels were charging the 'Business Traveler' rates - and to tell you the truth we did not want to pay $300 plus a night just to sleep. We decided on the Econo Lodge because the price was right, parking on-site was free and it was convenient to the Metro (walking distance rather then relying on a hotel shuttle)

We found the hotel to be adequate. The rooms were very clean, although they are on the small side. We had a room with a King bed - no refrigerator. We wish we had booked into a room with 2 double beds, they were much larger and did come with a refrigerator. The plasma TV was a nice touch! The 'bathroom' has a tub and toilet with the sink outside, so that was nice to be able to get ready while my husband showered. Be prepared, the sink is in a small cubby - but there was a hairdryer although the counter space was small. There is no closet in the room, there is a place to hang your clothes on a rack, which was fine with us. The bed was clean and comfortable along with the pillows being comfortable. The 'breakfast' in the morning was not big by any means. they had cereal(s), muffins, pastries, toast, bagels, OJ, coffee, milk. As mentioned in previous reviews there is no place to sit down in the lobby to eat so you really have to take it back to the room, but they do have trays to carry the food.

The walk to the Metro was about a 10 minute walk at the most. There is a bike path basically outside the front door. It was a quick, easy walk to the Metro. Also as posted in previous reviews this path takes you to the stairs to walk down to the Metro parking lot. Going down the stairs was easy...the walk at the end of the day (after walking all over DC) was a bit more difficult - LOL. Sometimes we just took the short walk around and went via the road. It is an easy ride into DC, maybe 15-20 minutes. 6 Stops to the Foggy Bottom stop, and from there it is downhill to the Lincoln Memorial. Very easy to use the Metro.

Would I recomment this hotel? Yes, but I would want you to know that this is not a fancy hotel with amenities. This is a small, basic, hotel which is an alternative to the pricier hotels in the DC area.

• Liked — The price and the convenience of walking to the Metro
  • Disliked — Small Rooms and small sink counter
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank KalyraFan49
Erie, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

We stayed one night at the Econo Lodge. It was a pretty nice place, especially considering the price. Check in and check out went smooth. Our room was as promised, nice decor, and clean. The breakfast was OK, but not the best ever. Plus there really wasn't a nice place to sit and eat so we took our trays back to our room. The walk to the metro was short and pleasant. The staff was very nice!

Only complaint was that it really isn't set up for kids. We have two kids, 5 and 8. The cable TV options were awful... there was no Dinsey, no Nick, no Noggin, etc.. We didn't have time to watch much, but after a long day of sightseeing, they wanted to unwind a bit. Plus there's no pool, which would have been nice after that long day of sightseeing and before bed.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Nothing for the kids
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family