“Very Nice Hotel with free Shuttles to Pentagon City/TSA HQ and Reagan Intl”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Houston, Texas
“Very Nice Hotel with free Shuttles to Pentagon City/TSA HQ and Reagan Intl”
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Everyone there was very friendly and helpful. I didn't even have to ask for directions within the hotel most of the time because random employees would walk up and ask if I needed help. Guess I looked spacey! The free transport to and from the hotel to where I needed to go made the stay very convenient (meeting at TSA HQ which was right across the street from the Pentagon City Mall drop (free shuttle) and to/from Reagan Intl (free shuttle). The shuttles were timely too! Food was pricey in the restaurants of course.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read you had an enjoyable stay and no, you did not look spacey. Our employees have been asked to make eye contact with every guest and see if there is any way help can be offered. I agree, the shuttles are very convenient. The Metro shuttle drop off is located close to the Pentagon Fashion Centre Mall as well as the TSA buildings. i am sorry you found the food outlet prices high, but hope you were able to enjoy some of the alternative options in the area. Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, feel free to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I stay at Hilton properties all the time. Never have I stayed at one that had a pool that is only open from 5-10pm. I picked this hotel based on the amazing indoor pool on the roof only to find out I won't be able to use it when it is open. I called a manager who explained that they have to hire a lifeguard per local laws---so the hotel cheaped out in winter and only has the pool open at night. It would be better if they had morning hours and evening hours and closed it during the day.

The other otherwise is typical Doubletree, cookie, beds etc. All totally fine.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Thank you for your review. I apologize the our pool winter hours did not work well with your schedule. I do want to note for anyone reading this review that the 5pm time that pool opens is only on the weekdays between Labor Day & Memorial Day. On all weekends (year round), holidays, and weekdays between Memorial Day & Labor Day the pool is open 10am - 10pm.

The explaination you received is partially right, but the reason for the hours is not because the hotel cheaped out. The operator was correct, Virginia law states that a lifeguard is required at all public pools. After Labor Day the pool gets very seldomly used during the weekdays until after 5pm. Prior to changing the open time to 5pm, the majority of week days between Labor Day & Memorial Day the pool would have absolutely no use prior to the evening. It did not make sense to keep it open. Had there been demand for it, of course we would keep the hours the same as the weekends when the demand is there.

I do hope you will return soon as I would love for you to be able to enjoy the hotel pool. Thank you again for the review and anyone reading my response can contact me anytime.

Nebraska
Reviewed January 10, 2011

From the time that I entered the lobby to the final time when I left for my return to Omaha, NE., the service was outstanding. I was greeted by all the personnel and asked if I needed help. All the personnel were very professional. My timing must have been perfect because the hotel happen to still have it's holiday rates and the room was top of the line--it was a suite--and more room that I needed but well worth my stay. I was within easy walking distance to my meetings on Bell St. and 18th St. This helped me with my exercise efforts. Overall, the best thing during my stay was the room and the item that least liked was the lack of a free continental breakfast. But I guess the room that I had overcame that fact.

Thanks again for the accommodations.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
Thank you for the review and for staying at the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City. I am so happy your visit was a great one and you enjoyed the hotel. You are correct, the rates are usually lower around the holiday time due to less demand in the area so I am glad you took advantage of the great rates being offered. Please note we do have rates that include breakfast so if that is important to you please request those rates when making a reservation.
Thank you again for visiting us and I hope you return soon.

Cypress, Texas
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I have stayed at the DT Crystal City on several occasions & until recently there have never been any problems. The beds are very comfortable, the towels are plentiful, fluffy, and always clean...I love the location since it has easy access to DCA airport as well as the subway system allowing for some great sightseeing.

The problem was I found mouse droppings at the entrance to my bathroom. I notified the front desk immediately, but this is not the first time I have seen them. A few months ago, a co-worker and I had adjoining rooms and late that night she came to my room half-dressed because she had actually seen the mouse (albeit small) run across the floor in her room. I had mentioned to her to not leave any food out because of a situation I had encountered back in July on a previous stay.

I had told her on that occasion, I had made the mistake of leaving deli food in out in the room because my sister, her husband, and I were rushed to get to Arlington National Cemetery & didn't want to wait for a fridge to be brought up. When I returned the paper bag was small tears in it, and it looked as if "something" had eaten a piece of the sandwich and cookies. The manager told me that sometimes in the double rooms guests with children may leave crumbs behind, hence the mice coming out to "dine" but that they do exterminate regularly. She was moved to the opposite tower (nicer room as well!). I didn't move my room, but since I had taken my food wrappers down to the trash I felt confident I wouldn't see any mice that night.

This visit I did get a fridge (nice size for the price ) and put all the food in the fridge, but the droppings I saw where there when I entered the room. I imagine I'll probably get a "snarky" response from the hotel management (I've read some of them ) but that would make 3 times that I have spoken with the staff regarding mice.

They are usually very nice and apologize, except for one petite young African-American front desk clerk whom seemed "upset" that I bothered her. This hotel was a nice bar called the Skydome, that rotates allowing for a 360 degree view of the city on a clear night. The drinks were not overly priced, the music was nice, but I would prefer they do away with Karaoke night.

All in all, my stays at this hotel are positive & I would stay here again.

1 Thank MissDivaD
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Thank you for the review. Snarky -- now there's a word you don't see very often. I am glad you are a repeat guest of the hotel, but I am surprised that you have had multiple encounters with mice. We have a very aggressive pest control policy and the sightings or encounters with mice are far & few between (any hotelier that says they never get mice is not being honest) so to have one person have this happen twice is very surprising. I am very sorry this occured and would like to ensure this is followed up on. I invite you to contact me directly so I can identify the room you were in and the dates you stayed as we will have an exterminator immediately to look at the room you were in as well as the surrounding rooms. We take these comments very seriously and want to ensure the mice find another hotel to stay at so I do hope you will contact me. I am glad you will use your past positive experiences to outweigh this poor one and you have chosen to return.

To the readers of this post/response please make sure to read all the reviews as you will see sighting comments are not common and while this guest had an unfortunate incident it is far from the norm of a typical guest experience. Please contact me anytime -

South Carolina
Reviewed December 20, 2010

This was my first stay at the Doubletree Crystal City. The service at check-in was outstanding. I was even given two warm cookies! Isn't it crazy how something so small could mean so much?

As a Gold Hilton member, I stayed in the North Tower. The room was spacious with a great view of the Pentagon across the highway and DC monuments in the distance. Because of my Gold status, internet was free and I was provided coupons for free continental breakfast. I found the wireless internet to be pretty fast. Continental breakfast consisted only of pastries and cereal. For an extra $5, I was able to get the hot breakfast buffet - eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, etc. The beakfast buffet was very good. I found $5 to be an excellent price for the breakfast, but I don't think I would pay $18 that others had to pay. However, $18 is probably in line with what others charge in the DC area for a full breakfast buffet.

Location is also pretty good. It is about a three block walk to the Pentagon City mall and metro station. The walk to The Pentagon is about 20 minutes. Overall, it was a very nice stay and I would most likely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
Thank you for the review. I am so glad you had an enjoyable stay. The view rooms offer a spectacular view so it is great that you were able to stay in one and also take advantage of your gold HHonor status which offers complimentary wireless. You are correct that our buffet breakfast price is in line with area hotel prices, but once again you were able to enjoy the benefits of your HHonor status and enjoy the breakfast for a discounted price. Thank you again for the positive review and we look forward to your return. The cookies will be waiting for you!

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I was upgraded to a junior suite and it was very comfortable and relaxing. The bed was extra comfortable and the pillows were nice, I find that one of the hardest things to find that is comfortable in most hotels. The staff went out of their way to help me as needed and I was checked on by several staff members during my stay. Having the complimentary shuttle to the airport was definitely a good thing for me. I will come back again if I am in the area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Thank you for the review. It is really nice to read about how happy you were during your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the comfort of our beds. In fact, so many people have commented on Doubletree beds that they are now being sold so you can enjoy the same comfort at home. We look forward to your return.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Great hotel and service. Staff very friendly and helpful. I have one complaint and that was from Tuesday to Thursday no caffinated coffee was left by room serivce. Other than that, everything else was wonderful. If driving, parking is $22.00 per night in parking garage.

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am so happy to read you had such an enjoyable stay. I wish you would have let us know while you were here that the houskeeper forgot to leave caffinated coffee as we certainly would have brought it to your room. It is standard to have this placed in the room so this was an oversight by the housekeeper and I am sorry for that. However, based on your overall positive stay I sure hope you will return soon. As always please contact me anytime.