“Not what I was expecting. The hotel is...”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
“Not what I was expecting. The hotel is...”
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Not what I was expecting. The hotel is old and needs to be renovated. The location is great, though, and we got a good summer special so it balanced out. All things considered, I would not pay full price for this hotel.

DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Thank you for the review. I am happy to let you and anyone else reading this response know that we do have some renovations coming. Along with recently finishing our pool renovation we are currently putting brand new 37" LCD tv's in all the rooms. Later this year we will be redoing the lobby, lobby bar, and the Skydome as well as the entrance to the hotel. Like most hotels we have some rooms that are more recently renovated than others. I do invite anyone to contact me to see if I can block you in more recently renovated room as I will do my best to meet this request.

You are correct - our location is fabulous. Being close to 3 blocks from the Metro and less than 2 miles from both Reagan Airport and Washington DC is an unbeatable location.

Thank you again for the review.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed June 25, 2010

For the room rates charged (over $200 per night) my expectations are high, but this hotel could not meet them. I choose this hotel because of its proximity to the airport and downtown DC. It borders highways on the north and east, and has a nice nighttime view of DC. At check in, I had problems with my advanced purchase billing arrangements and the front desk staff, and the hotel manager had to be called in to resolve the matter. The king "pure air" was clean and adequately furnished, but the ventilation system was overmatched by the warm June days and created a stuffy and humid room. I woke up sweating with no covers on both nights with the AC on its maximum setting. The hotel's setting also caused some difficulty. Located several blocks (15-20 minute walk) from the nearest Metro stations in the sweltering heat, cabs became a necessity. But few cabs park near this hotel. The hotel staff were generally friendly, quick and helpful, and I really wanted to like this hotel. However, I will keep shopping for a better location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for the your review. I am glad the hotel manager could resolve the challenge you experienced at check in. We handle advance purchase check ins very often without issue so I am uncertain as to the specifics of your challenge.

In the future if you do have any air conditioning challenges, please contact the CARE line so we can send someone up to inspect your unit. There is no need to be uncomfortable.

The hotel does offer a shuttle to and from the Metro station. The shuttle leaves and picks up on a half hour schedule so there should be no need to walk in the swealtering heat. I am sorry you did not take advantage of this. Also, I understand everyone walks at a different pace, but in all the times I have walked from the hotel to/from the Metro it has not taken any more than 10 minutes. The Metro stration is 2 and 3/4 blocks from the hotel so it is surprising that it would take you 15-20 minutes to walk there. In the event that you want to take a cab we do have a cabline that lines up through out the day just outside the hotel so again, I am unsure why you would say few cabs park here.

I am glad you found the staff helpful and friendly. We want you to like the hotel also! I hope you will return to the hotel and have an enjoyable stay. Thank you again for the post and anyone reading this response can contact me anytime.

Happy travels-

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 19, 2010

The hotel is midway between two subway stations. After a long day at the Mall the walk can be daunting. There are malls at both stations so the choices of food and shopping are great. On Sundays, however, most places close early or just aren't open.

The Hotel is a very expensive last resort for food. We would have eaten there more often had it been more in line. (ate the most expensive meal in a week at the hotel...and that was a sandwich) Room was well appointed and mostly comfortable, despite the maid short sheeting our bed for the last two nights.

Staff seemed genuinely interested in trying to meet our needs and overall we are very happy that we chose to stay at this hotel for our week in DC!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
Thank you for the review. I can definately understand why after spending all day walking around Washington DC why the 2 3/4 block walk to the hotel would seem long. Luckily, you have the option of riding the shuttle back as it picks up at the Pentagon Metro Station every half hour. Yes, like in most places, the malls close early on Sunday. However, there is the option of taking our shuttle to 23rd street which is known as "restaurant row" and offers so many different options for restaurant types.

I am sorry you felt the food prices were high. We do constant checks to ensure our prices are in line with area hotels. Being shorted a sheet on the bed is not a typical problem that one encounters. I wish you would have called to our CARE line as an extra sheet would have been brought right up to you.

Thank you for choosing the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City as your hotel of choice. I am so glad to read that you are happy with this choice and would return if given the opportunity. I hope that you are able to come back and enioy the hotel (with an extra sheet of course)!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Our room was very nice and spacious. The bathroom is a little dated and could use some updating.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. I am so glad you found your room spacious and comfortable. The General Manager is working with the owners to plan for a renovation which will cover the bathrooms in need of updating. The owners are always looking at the hotel and putting money towards projects they feel will have biggest guest impact. This year we have renovated our pool and coming soon will be our lobby, lobby bar, the outside entrance way, and the addition of LCD tv's to every room. The bathrooms that need to be updated are high on the list of projects that are being considered and I am hopeful they will be redone in the near future. Thank you again for your post!

Portland, OR
Reviewed June 17, 2010

I'm a Diamond guy & expect to be well taken care of. The room was ordinary, I had to ask for a bathrobe for my wife & was told that I get coupons for a "Continental Breakfast"

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for the review and for being a Diamond Hilton Honors Member. We really appreciate it! As a Diamond member you are entitled to a Continental Breakfast, per the HHonors program, so I am unsure why you expected differently. All Diamond members can choose their amenity through their profile. The choices are- Continental Breakfast, complimentary internet, or bonus HHonor points. Please contact me if you would like assistance updating your profile.

Also through the HHonors program, robes are available to Diamond members on request. Hilton Worldwide is working hard to ensure all hotels follow the HHonors program strictly to show consistency in what you receive from hotel to hotel. I am sorry if you expected otherwise, but we did and do follow the Hilton Honors amenity program. Please feel free to contact me anytime. Thank you again for being a loyal Diamond member.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I've stayed in many places in Washington DC and this hotel is very good. It is about 4 blocks from the Pentagon City metro; walkable, but they provide a shuttle as well. You enter through the garage, and it is a large convention-like hotel. It is not very attractive from the outside, but it doesn't matter to me, as long as the rooms are clean and sleepable. The pool is on the top floor, which was very nice after a long day. They have a great gym near the front desk where you check-in. The TV is not a flatscreen, but the beds are super comfortable, and the towels were very good. I will stay here again when I return to DC, as long as the price remains reasonable. What I really appreciated was the sign on the room floors as you exit the elevator, warning unreasonable guests not to chat in hallways, run barefoot, slam doors, etc. It seems to make a difference, as I've stayed in hotels in DC where rude guests associated with large trips are the norm.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 7, 2010
Thank you very much for the review. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City. We will be working on our exterior presence in the upcoming months to help enhance the hotel. While it is important to look great on the outside, I agree with you that it is more imprortant to succeed with all we do on the inside! I am happy to read you relaxed and enjoyed our newly renovated pool. We look forward to your return and I am confident that you will remain just as satisfied as you were on this past trip. As always, feel free to contact me anytime.

Matawan, New Jersey
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Well here I am, another hotel in another city. This makes about my 20ths stay in a hotel so far this year. I travel alot! So here's my review of this place. Its so so, Its little old no flat screen TVs, out dated furniture, just 80's old. Arrived late last night, check in and valet parking was easy, although staff was friednly, it was hard to understand them with thick Indian? accents. I just smiled and nodded my head alot. After we settled in teh room, we went up to the only full service resturant only to find out that friday night was comedy night and there would be an extra 20 charge for some hacky .commedican that perfroms durning dinner. NO Thanks! The only other food choice was the Lobby Bar which was very crowded due to several events going on in teh Hotel. Spent 91.00 on bar food including 22.00 for 2 drinks. Then back up to teh room. The AC isn't really working, it was hotter then hell in hereb all night. The Thermostat only goes down to 68 and its alot warmer in here then 68. Im here for one more night, Im on my way down to then desk to find out about a room change. I'll let you know how that goes later

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 1, 2010
Thank you very much for the review. June is here, which I have said in past reviews, means our LCD flat screen tv project is set to begin. Next week our armoires will be redone to allow for the tv's to be placed on top. This will add a significant upgrade to the rooms as I know all of our guests will enjoy the new tv's.
I am glad you found our staff friendly. I am sorry you had a challenge understanding one of our team members at the front desk. While the majority of our staff at the desk is made up of people born in this area we do have some staff members that join us from other parts of the world. Washington DC is a huge melting pot and while we welcome people with any ethic backrounds to be employees at the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC we are careful to ensure that all "front of the house" (mainly guest contact) employees speak english & can be easily understood.
Windows over Washington is run by the Comedy Zone on Fri & Sat nights. Actually, the comedians are quite funny and we get some nice reviews on them from our guests. Windows serves fine dining; more upscale than our other restaurants. The Lobby Bar is full service as well, and offers meals directly from our restaurant menu. You could also try the Skydome too which offers a menu of options to choose from and of course room service is always an option. I am sorry you did not find any of these to your liking.

I definately can understand the frustrations of sleeping in a room that is hotter than you prefer and I am sorry this happened to you. I am unsure if you called down to give us the opportunity to fix it or to switch your room that evening. I am hopeful you will find the resolution you are looking for and get a room more to your liking. Please feel free to contact me anytime and I will be happy to try and assist you or anyone else that reads my responses.

Thank you again for the review and for staying at the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City.

703-415-3846