“Some dissapoinments...”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Got a great price on this hotel for a one night stay through priceline. The common areas of the hotel were very clean and overall very nice but I saw some areas that require a little attention, i.e. carpet area around or near lobby needs cleaning, some wall paper peeling off on some of the floors. Also our room door was missing a big chunk of the wood laminate face where there used to be a metal plate for the lock and it looked like somebody just chipped/ ripped it off the door. We got there around 1PM and attempted an early check-in. The front desk person was not friendly at all and very dry. She said to come back in one hour that our room would be ready. Ten minutes later I sent my wife to the front desk to see if she would have better luck. Ebony, the front desk clerk, was VERY friendly, personable and pleasant. She had a room available for us and immediately checked us in. We stayed on the North tower on the 7th floor. Had a great view of the Washington monument from our window. The room itself was very clean and quiet. The beds were EXTREMELY comfortable. I was a little dissapointed with the fact that there was not flat screen TV and the size of the actual TV was pretty small. We had a few small issues during our stay. Before leaving to go to DC I stopped by the front desk to specifically request (3) extra towels and (3) shampoo and (3) conditioner to be placed in our room while we were out. When we got to our room we had no extra towels and and only one extra shampoo. I went to the lobby to get more and a gentleman who was a front desk mgr. appeared to be bothered by my request. The next morning we realized there was no extra toilet paper in our room. It took (2) phone calls and about 40-45 mins to get more of it delivered to our door. Upon checkout the clerk at front desk gave us a parking credit (22.00) for the inconvenience. Overall our experience was pleasant and we would stay here again but I have to admit I was expecting more from a 3.5 star hotel.

P.S. The complementary chocolate chip cookies are fantastic!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2010

Thank you for the review. Allow me to get to the exciting news 1st.... we are in the process of having brand new 37" LCD televisions put into the rooms. The fist step is redoing all the armoires so the televisions can fit on top. It is actually an interesting process in which the contractor cuts off the top (that encases the old box televisions) and puts down a new marble top. That project starts in the beginning of May and then we can begin putting the televisions in the rooms. This will be an excellent addition to all of our rooms.

I have passed along your comment to the Director of Housekeeping so he can address the cleanliness of the lobby. We do go through and constantly clean the lobby, but there are times when it is busy it is hard to keep up.
Ebonie is an excellent asset to the Front Office and I am glad your wife had a nice experience dealing with her.
My apologies for the delay in meeting your request for towels, shampoo, & conditioner. However, i am happy to see the desk agent recognized our inability to deliver and tried to make up for it by comping your parking.
Yes, the cookies are delicious! The smell though out the lobby is pretty nice too!
We look forward to your return as I am very confident that you will have an enjoyable stay.
Please contact me anytime.

Reviewed April 4, 2010

Cons- Our suite had an ajoining door to another suite. Our neighbors were a family with lots of screaming kids. It was like they were in the room with us. Why they would build a hotel like this is beyond me. We asked to be moved and fortunately there was a corner suite without an ajoining door. Moving and having to complain was inconvenient. The front desk staff were mostly unpleasant. The reasons I booked this hotel (the location near the mall, shuttle to metro, and pool) all turned out pretty bad. The pool is on the 14th floor of the north tower. We were in the south tower which resulted in a long walk to the pool. Also, there is no hottub. Consequently, we never used the pool. The location is good, but the shuttle to the metro was crowded each time we took it (we had to stand) and you had to wait about a half hour for it to come. The area isn't great. We went to the mall one night and I was afraid and uncomfortable with my family there. Lots of teenagers that looked like they could be in gangs. Next time we will stay in DC. It is worth the extra money. Pros- Oh, the bar, the beds, and the breakfast were good!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2010

Hello, thank you for your review.

I am glad you were able to enjoy the corner suite and that the front desk was able to accommodate your request. To my knowledge, just about every hotel has rooms with connecting doors. While they are not always used (they often are) it is a feature that a lot of families ennoy. it sounds as though the family that was next to you would have been a disturbance with or without the door.

I am sorry you found the desk staff unpleasant. I would recommend in the future letting us know some details so we can improve and work with the staff to ensure others do not have the same perception. As you can read in past reviews our staff typically gets high marks from our guests which is the reason for our high return guest rate.

The recently renovated rooftop pool is a positive feature to so many of our guests. I am sorry you found the walk too long. We'd love to accomodate any request to be close to the pool by making sure a room in the north tower is assigned. Just let us know!

This is the 1st I have heard about a poor atmosphere at the Pentagon Fashion Centre Mall. Being it is right next to the Pentagon, you can be assured security is tight and I have not heard of any gang activity there or anywhere near the hotel. So many student groups and families go to the mall everyday and rave about it (one of the largest indoor malls in the DC Metro area). Again, I apologize you did not have a positive experience.

While the shuttle does run every half hour many guests enjoy the ten minute walk too. It is nice to have both options and in cases in which the shuttle is full we will do an extra run to ensure all guests are accommodated.

I am very glad to see you enjoyed the bar and yes, our sweet dream beds are so comfortable. We get a lot of requests to buy a mattress- that's how comfortable they are.

Thank you again for the review and I encourage anyone to contact me anytime.

Reviewed April 3, 2010

I'm never ever coming back here again. two people had to sleep on the floor because there were no rollaway beds. when i was on the shuttle to get back to the hotel (which i didnt want to do) we almost ran into a car! the driver was speeding, switching lanes, and going right through red lights! i was freaking out! when we were at a restaurant they saud they would clean a table for us, and then they gave it to other people that just walked in! then they gave us this 1 foot high 1 foot wide table and thought everything would be okay. well, it wasnt. when we were complaining they gave us cookies and that was it! they didnt even help us! the service was terrible and some of the employees could barely even speak english! it was the WORST hotel ive ever gone to!!!!!!!!!! don't ever go!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2010

Well, I am sure glad you lived to write this review! I'd like to respond to your comments to clarify some things for people that may read your review.

The hotel does have rollaway beds. If you know in advance that you require one please do let us know. We will put it in your reservation notes to ensure you have one. There are 631 rooms in the hotel and of course we can not house 631 rollaway beds. So there are occassions these will be sold out which is why I encourage you to reserve them in advance.

I am really surprised about your experience on the shuttle. Our shuttle drivers drive the shuttles for 18+ hours a day. I am unaware of any accidents they have been in or tickets they have received in the years that I have been here. In VA there is a red light camera program in which if you run a red light your picture is taken and you receive a ticket in the mail. We have received none of these. I did ask the Night Manager as well as the Director of Front Office and they are unaware of any complaints regarding the driving our our shuttle drivers. I would think we would have received at least one had the drivers been driving as wrecklessly as you indicate. In the future, please let us know of your concerns while you are on property so we can identify the driver and correct the issue immediately.

I did check and can not find a table that is one foot high and one foot wide in our restaurant. Perhaps this too is an exaggeration. As with any restaurant there are some times that people ask to be moved and we try to accommodate all requests. I am sorry if your table was given to another party. That should not have happened as we do seat the next person in line. Your comments have been passed to the Food & Beverage Director so he can go over this with his staff and remind them of seating protocal.

Washington DC is one of the largest melting pots in the US. So yes, we proudly do have many races and ethnicities employed at the hotel. However, any employee that is "front of the house" meaning they deal with guests on a regular basis must be fluent in English. I can assure you each one is as I do not speak another language (I am learning Spanish), but can easily communicate with them in person or over the phone.

I am sorry you had an awful stay. This is not typical as the large majority of our guests enjoy their experience which is why we have a large volume of repeat guests.

Please contact me anytime

Reviewed March 27, 2010

This hotel reminded me of somewhere George Clooney's character would stay in "Up in the Air." Decent, but no personality whatsover. And customer service was a little spotty - I couldn't get them to answer the phone when I called room service at about 8 pm! The desk finally patched me through. But the rooms were clean and the beds were VERY comfortable. The food was pretty good and I do love that they give you a warm chocolate chip cookie when you arrive. It's about a 10 minute walk to the metro, but the hotel also has a shuttle. Cabs to town are about $15. I'd stay again on business probably, if it was the conference/meeting hotel and I got a special rate. Otherwise, I'd find somewhere with a bit more character

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2010

Hello -- thank you for the review. I am glad you had a nice stay and found our beds to be so comfortable as that is a very important part of ones stay. I am surprised to read you felt we have no character. Being in the DC Metro area our mix of employees is quite the melting pot and that is an aspect our guests really enjoy. We get more comments on the employees pleasant personality than just about anything else. I am confident that should you return your impression will change.

Thank you for letting me know about the room service phone as that is always supposed to answered. That comment has been passed onto the Director of Food & Beverage. We really appreciate the comments as we use them to improve the hotel product and our customer service level.

We hope you return soon!

Reviewed March 8, 2010

My family and I spent a wonderful weekend in this double tree hotel.
The hotel staff members are exceptionally friendly, the room was clean and felt like home and the fitness center was the most equipped I have seen in a long time.
We all enjoyed the stay and recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

Thank you very much for the fanastic review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and also had great interactions with the staff. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 3, 2010

I had to stay here for work for a week. It was nothing special. Just your standard hotel. My room luckily was a newer remodeled room. It was clean and the bed was very comfortable so I slept well every night.

As for food, you have options. They have a revolving restaurant/bar type thing that gives you a nice view of the city. Room service was ok, but expensive for a Doubletree. The hotel does have a coffee place that serves Starbucks coffee which was convenient.

Also, they hotel offers free shuttle service to/from the airport and the nearby mall/metro station. That was a nice touch and very convenient.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2010

Thank you for the review. I am glad our beds provided with a great nights sleep each night. Actually, our sweet dreams bedding is so comfortable and we get a lot of requests to purchase them that Hilton has started selling the same mattresses. It is such a comfortable bed!

You are correct about the convenience of the shuttle - especially with all the sidewalks blocked by snow (which is finally melting away). While the Metro is a walkable 3.5 blocks, sometimes you just want to relax and let someone else take you. We will be happy to do that for you. Also if you fly into Reagan Airport, taking the complimentary shuttle sure beats paying for a taxi.

The Skydome, Cafe, Cafe Express, & the Lobby Bar as well as Windows over Washington (on Fri & Sat night)... yes, we offer many options for dining. Thank you for mentioning that.

I do hope you will return on your next visit. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Happy Travels -

Reviewed February 27, 2010

This hotel had a better room rating for a lower price than other hotels we looked at in DC. We were also impressed that many of the comments on here have been answered individually by the customer services manager.
On arrival, we got our tasty welcome cookies which we enjoyed in our 11th floor room with a great view over Washington. The room was clean and well-kept, with a good range of Neutrogena toiletries in the bathroom and plenty of towels.
Shared areas are bright and spacious, with departure screens for Reagan Airport and free internet access in reception - it has been noted here before that this is a stand-up kiosk in reception, but it was sufficient for us to briefly check emails and so on.
The hotel is about 5 to 10 minutes walk from the Fashion Centre mall at Pentagon CIty, where you can pick up the Metro into town; apparently the hotel offer a free shuttle but we chose to walk off our cookies and didn't use it.
There are safety deposit boxes behind reception and although it wasn't a problem to access them, it might be different at busier times - we would have preferred a digital safe in the room, and eliminate the risk of paying $150 for a replacement key.
The hairdryer in the room had also had a very short flex, however there were a lot of businessmen and military personnell using the hotel so for most, this wouldn't a problem.
All the staff were friendly, polite and efficient, the room was fine with an excellent view and we would definitely consider using this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GandTJo
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2010

I appreciate the kind review and I am glad you enjoy my responses as I enjoy writing them.
You are correct- no hotel in the area can offer the views the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City can and the location is unbeatable. Walkable to the Metro and mall or shuttle if you prefer as well as shuttle to Reagan. Our airline board has been a big hit with our guests as it updates them on the flight status for airlines in/out of Reagan.
The stand up Kiosk works great. While some prefer seating, we have found if chairs are offered at the kiosk people will stay on the pc for quite a long time which prohibits other guests from utilizing the kiosk (which has 3 terminals).
I will be sure to pass along your comment to the proper people so that when the sleeping rooms go under their next renovation perhaps in room safes can be added. Great suggestion!

Thank you again for the nice review and as always, please contact me anytime.