“Wonderful weekend”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed March 8, 2010

My family and I spent a wonderful weekend in this double tree hotel.
The hotel staff members are exceptionally friendly, the room was clean and felt like home and the fitness center was the most equipped I have seen in a long time.
We all enjoyed the stay and recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

Thank you very much for the fanastic review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and also had great interactions with the staff. We look forward to your return.

Happy travels -

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City

Reviewed March 3, 2010

I had to stay here for work for a week. It was nothing special. Just your standard hotel. My room luckily was a newer remodeled room. It was clean and the bed was very comfortable so I slept well every night.

As for food, you have options. They have a revolving restaurant/bar type thing that gives you a nice view of the city. Room service was ok, but expensive for a Doubletree. The hotel does have a coffee place that serves Starbucks coffee which was convenient.

Also, they hotel offers free shuttle service to/from the airport and the nearby mall/metro station. That was a nice touch and very convenient.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2010

Thank you for the review. I am glad our beds provided with a great nights sleep each night. Actually, our sweet dreams bedding is so comfortable and we get a lot of requests to purchase them that Hilton has started selling the same mattresses. It is such a comfortable bed!

You are correct about the convenience of the shuttle - especially with all the sidewalks blocked by snow (which is finally melting away). While the Metro is a walkable 3.5 blocks, sometimes you just want to relax and let someone else take you. We will be happy to do that for you. Also if you fly into Reagan Airport, taking the complimentary shuttle sure beats paying for a taxi.

The Skydome, Cafe, Cafe Express, & the Lobby Bar as well as Windows over Washington (on Fri & Sat night)... yes, we offer many options for dining. Thank you for mentioning that.

I do hope you will return on your next visit. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Happy Travels -

Reviewed February 27, 2010

This hotel had a better room rating for a lower price than other hotels we looked at in DC. We were also impressed that many of the comments on here have been answered individually by the customer services manager.
On arrival, we got our tasty welcome cookies which we enjoyed in our 11th floor room with a great view over Washington. The room was clean and well-kept, with a good range of Neutrogena toiletries in the bathroom and plenty of towels.
Shared areas are bright and spacious, with departure screens for Reagan Airport and free internet access in reception - it has been noted here before that this is a stand-up kiosk in reception, but it was sufficient for us to briefly check emails and so on.
The hotel is about 5 to 10 minutes walk from the Fashion Centre mall at Pentagon CIty, where you can pick up the Metro into town; apparently the hotel offer a free shuttle but we chose to walk off our cookies and didn't use it.
There are safety deposit boxes behind reception and although it wasn't a problem to access them, it might be different at busier times - we would have preferred a digital safe in the room, and eliminate the risk of paying $150 for a replacement key.
The hairdryer in the room had also had a very short flex, however there were a lot of businessmen and military personnell using the hotel so for most, this wouldn't a problem.
All the staff were friendly, polite and efficient, the room was fine with an excellent view and we would definitely consider using this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GandTJo
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2010

I appreciate the kind review and I am glad you enjoy my responses as I enjoy writing them.
You are correct- no hotel in the area can offer the views the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City can and the location is unbeatable. Walkable to the Metro and mall or shuttle if you prefer as well as shuttle to Reagan. Our airline board has been a big hit with our guests as it updates them on the flight status for airlines in/out of Reagan.
The stand up Kiosk works great. While some prefer seating, we have found if chairs are offered at the kiosk people will stay on the pc for quite a long time which prohibits other guests from utilizing the kiosk (which has 3 terminals).
I will be sure to pass along your comment to the proper people so that when the sleeping rooms go under their next renovation perhaps in room safes can be added. Great suggestion!

Thank you again for the nice review and as always, please contact me anytime.

Reviewed February 23, 2010

My wife and I enjoyed our week-long stay which was both business and personal in nature. I would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2010

Thank you so much for the positive reivew. I am so happy that you had a great experience and would love for you to return as I am confident that you would have another fabulous stay.

Thank you again!

Reviewed February 23, 2010

Nice and clean, and accessible by car. However, it was a bit noisy even though I was on a high floor away from the elevators. Also I really thought all hotels offered complimentary wifi these days, but that was 13 bucks extra/night. I probably won't stay there again as there are so many other great hotels to choose from in the area.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for the review. I am uncertain of what noise you are referring to. I have not heard of any complaints regarding noise from the outside before so I assume you mean inside noise. In the future please call our CARELINE to let us know of any disatisfaction so we can try and correct it immediately. If it was inside noise from another guest or group our 24 hour security would've been happy to look into it and stop the noise. I am sorry you left without giving us the opportunity to correct the challenge you experienced.
I do get comments on our charge for wifi and more often then not, like you, the person is under the impression that all hotels offer wifi for free. I can tell you that there is no full service hotel in the DC Metro area that does offer complimentary wifi and our charge is right in line with area hotels. In fact, currently all major hotel chains (Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, etc) charge for wifi in full service hotels country-wide. However, we do offer complimentary wifi in our lobby area and have a complimentary internet quiosk which offers complimentary internet, USB hook up, and printing (ideal for boarding passes). I do hope you will return and take advantage of these services.

Thank you again for the review and please contact me anytime.

Happy travels!

Reviewed February 15, 2010

When I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom I observed two Bedbugs in the bed that had been feeding on me during my sleep.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2010

Thank you for the post. This is a claim we take very seriously and once notified we take the room out of order so our pest control company can inspect it. There are many times this is reported and no evidence of bed bugs are found. Should anyone have any questions on this please contact me. I do hope this negative review will not deter anyone from coming to the Doubletree Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City as we have had so many recent positive reviews.

Happy travels -

Reviewed February 3, 2010

I reserved a room for business travel. In reading previous reviews, I totally agree with the review that the rooms are outdated with some weird dark zebra motif. I could have lived with that had my carpet not been so badly stained that I kept my shoes on the entire time and would not even walk in socked feet. The bathrooms do not look like the one in the pictures. My bathroom looked horrible. The sink had several cracks in it and the fiberglass shell around the sink drain was completely broken off leaving a mushy mess. The shower had ledges that jutted out making showering difficult. The bottom of the tub was also bowed making taking a shower hazardous due to the constant threat of slipping because the fiberglass would give suddenly.

I did not like that the bellman took my luggage while I was paying my taxi without my consent. I thought someone had stolen my bag and looked around wildly trying to figure out what just happened. The shuttle drivers were also rude and not helpful when answering questions. You must pay to use the computers in the business center unless you want to use one of the ones in the lobby that you have stand to use. Anyone just walking by can see what you are working on making privacy an issue. This was especially a problem when I had to complete my time sheet for work and my social security number had to be displayed on the screen.

The old heating/cooling unit was so noisy that it kept waking me up. It was also not efficient.

I stayed at the Annapolis Doubletree and it was top notch. Not this one. I am really questioning all the raves about this hotel.

For $207 a night, I expect more.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2010

Hello:

I am very sorry that you had a poor experience. Our ownership is working towards upgrading the few rooms that are in need of it. Our engineering team is constantly going through the rooms/suites to ensure everything is in working order. Please in the future if you have an issue with the heating/cooling unit call our CARE line. We will send someone up immediately to try and resolve the challenge.
We get so many great comments on our bellman and how people really enjoy them coming out to assist with luggage. I am sorry this upset you. Our bellman were trying to be helpful by helping with your luggage.
As you will read in past reviews our shuttle drivers receive high marks for being friendly, so it is surprising you had a bad experience. I invite you to contact me directly so I can try and identify the bellman you dealt with to ensure he gets properly re-training on customer service.
This is the first I have heard of someone not enjoying the lobby complimentary internet quiosk. I will bring this up to the IT folks to see if we can move the quiosk to a more private location. While I can not promise it will be moved, it will be considered.
Again, I am sorry you had a poor experience and while your review is a negative one I do invite the readers to read so many of our positive responses that came prior to this one.
Please contact me anytime.

Happy Travels