DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

My second stay in the past 8 months and have found the place improved; hotel staff are more attentive and the rooms are cleaner; I enjoyed the breakfast included rate -- a very good deal and incentive for the per-diem traveler. The food was great and the food service exceptional. The only minor flaw is the hotel needs to lock the doors in the north tower to limit access from non hotel guests and improve overall personal security.

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — Nearby highway traffic
  • Stayed October 2008
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2008

First visit to Doubletree Crystal City in three years on Oct 28, 2008 and found the hotel much improved in that time. Had a fresher feel, smell, newer furnishings, better staff attitude. Shuttle service not perfect but not bad, if you're patient. Quick 10 minute walk to Pentagon City mall/metro and Pentagon building. Better value now than before.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
wgc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

Stayed 6th - 10th September 2008
We were allocated a room on the Hilton Honours floor (Room 1021 on the North Tower)as we presented our card on check-in though we had booked the accommodation through Virgin Holidays.

Generally the hotel is looking a bit tired and could really do with a bit of TLC, as we had wallpaper coming off the wall just under the window.

The bed was comfortable but we had to request foam pillows, but they were promptly provided. The room was roomy enough, but the bathroom was small, though had been thoughtfully laid out.

The tea and coffee facilities were adequate, and the closeness to Reagan National Airport didn’t bother us, though we could hear the constant droning of the traffic going into DC, but did manage to sleep through it.

We had dinner at the Windows over Washington and there was some confusion over the standard menu as the one on offer in the restaurant was different to the one we had seen on the website and also displayed in the lobby. It was slightly dearer and with not as much choice. Disappointed with the starter but the rest of the meal was OK. You can just about see a distant view of DC, with the most noticeable sight the Monument.

The shuttle to the metro was extremely useful though you could wait a while to get it back to the hotel, as the timing of this was more erratic. We also found the shuttle to the airport convenient for our departure.

There were no cookies at check-in – one of the signatures of the Doubletree. At one point there was no lifeguard on duty during pool opening times and so we could not make use of the pool – which was a bit disappointing.

There was no Wi-fi in the rooms but this was available in the lobby.

• Liked — Relative price and closeness to Washington DC
  • Disliked — The fact that it really needs a facelift
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
wolfp10
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

I stayed at this hotel as part of a group of 300 soccer fans in November, 2007 who were in DC for MLS Cup 2007. Overall the hotel was decent for a decent price.

The hotel appears to have recently been renovated, as the decor in the rooms were modern and brand new. The hotel is located in Crystal City, which is serviced by the blue and yellow lines of the Washington Metro. The hotel is on the northern side of Crystal City, so it is a bit of a walk from the Metro and what you can call downtown Crystal City, as not much is located in town. The hotel is somewhat isolated from the streets of Crystal City, so it can be a bit of a challenge to get to the hotel if you aren't familiar with the area. The restaurant is also reasonably expensive, but their dinner buffet was high quality.

If you can book this hotel at a great rate and don't mind a little walking, then this is a good hotel. If you are looking for a convenient location in the middle of the city, you may want to book elsewhere.

• Liked — clean and great rate
  • Disliked — distance from major attractions
  • Stayed November 2007
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

very friendly hotel, were asked if it was our first visit to washington and when we confirmed that it was, we were given a very nice room with views over the city. Although it is a bit out of washington there is shuttle that takes you to the subway.

1 Thank dengirl
Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2008

I just returned from 2 nights at the Doubletree Crystal City Hotel.
I arrived around 6:30 pm and there was a little bit of a line. I tried using one of the kiosks in reception to check in. It printed out a slip telling me to go to the reception desk. Several colleagues who arrived earlier said they experienced the same thing, so I'm not sure why the kiosk is even there.

Although I had a reservation and confirmation number (the conference booked our rooms for us) I was told at reception that they didn't have any more rooms available for the night. I explained that I had a confirmed reservation, and she rudely told me that I should have arrived earlier in the day. A manager overheard and came over, and instantly found me a room.

My room was in the north tower and was supposedly a non-smoking room. It must have recently been converted (without changing carpet, drapes, or wall paper) because it had a faint smell of stale smoke, combined with a slight sewage smell. I called and asked for another room and was told that they were completely full and there were no other rooms.

The room was a decent size and layout. It was clean, but still had an overall grimy feel to it. The lack of attention to details was evident through out the room. On the wall next to my bed, a rather large picture had been removed. The hardware was still on the wall and I'm assuming they used some sort of spray adhesive on the wall to keep the picture (when it used to be there) from sliding. As a result, the wall was disgustingly sticky!! In order to deal with the grossness of that, I created a fun game of "what can the wall hold". A tissue would stick to the wall and not fall off; a piece of note paper wold stick for about 30 seconds; a washrag would stick for about 15 seconds before it fell off; a hand towel was too heavy and wouldn't stick at all.

Again, it could have been a nicer place if they paid attention to other details - the carpet was stained, there were stains on the bathroom counter, the bathroom wall had holes filled with brown spackle, and most of the wall outlets were installed crooked. Some of the towels were stained. My air conditioning worked well, but sounded like a jet was taking off in my room, so I couldn't run it while trying to sleep.

The bed was reasonably comfortable, but a bit too soft for my preference. The shower enclosure was a bit ugly and weird, but the water pressure was nice and the water got nice and hot. I just wished that the shower head was up higher and over my head, instead of neck level.

The restaurants were rather mediocre. There is a large menu posted outside the lobby bar, but you can't actually order off that menu - only the more limited bar menu. My first night, I got a pepperoni pizza which tasted like it was straight from the freezer section of my grocery store. It was a big production to get crushed red pepper to put on it. I also had lunch one day at the Cafe restaurant. I ordered the Salad Nicoise but received something else. It had barely seared tunu, romain, green beens, cucumbers, neon orange cheese (kraft singles??), radishes, and a few other ingredients that did not match the description on the menu. I told my waiter that it was wrong, and he insisted that he brought what I ordered. I made him get me a menu and compared what I had to the menu description and even then he argued that I got what I ordered. I told him to send it back and I didn't want another one. I ended up getting a sandwich instead. It tasted ok, but several hours later, I felt sick to my stomach.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank laceytravels
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

Good experience overall. The room itself was nice, and we had a view of the Monument, Capitol, and other Washington landmarks. Only complaints would have to be on the shuttle service - very unreliable, and we had to wait a long time for the one from DCA to the hotel - and that we had to wait an additional half hour to check in when we got to the hotel. Granted, though, we were checking in at 12:30, instead of the usual 3pm check-in time.

Overall: nice hotel, worth staying at.

• Liked — Nice rooms, pool, overall atmostphere.
  • Disliked — Shuttle service was unreliable.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends