“OK for a conference or business trip”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Room - reasonable size and clean enough. Air con not too bad in terms of noise. Not much choice on the TV.

Very busy with school kids on visits when I was there. I don't mind that but some people are even grumpier than me.

Great view from the roof top bar & restaurant - slightly pricier than the bar in the lobby.

No complaints about breakfast and lunch.

It's a bit of a hike to the nearest mall for a choice of restaurants.

OK for a conference although the hotel wifi was intermittent in the rooms we used.

Staff are fine.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room accommodations. If you have a certain channel you are looking for please let us know. We do make changes to our channel selections from time to time and often it is based on guest feedback.

I appreciate your understanding with the students. April - June is peak tour season in the area, so the majority of hotels house multiple groups at one time. You are correct that some guests do become grumpy at the site of the students, but we try very hard to keep them isolated from our other guests by having private rooms for breakfast and keeping their sleeping rooms together.

The Skydome does offer fantastic views of Washington DC, Reagan Airport, the Potomac River and much more. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your time up there. The mall is 3 blocks away (7-10 minute walk) and many of our guests appreciate the option they have of walking or taking the complimentary shuttle.

I am sorry the WiFi was a challenge for you as the signal is typically very strong in our meeting rooms. Thank you again for your review and I hope your meeting was a success. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I am staying here with a national conference. I was told the first night of check in that another attendee found a cockroach in her room. She was on the 8th floor and I am on the 3rd floor. I thought that possibly she was mistaken. Tonight I found a very large cockroach! I cannot be moved since the hotel is full. I know I will notbe slsleeping tonight. I am disgusted and will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very sorry that you had this experience. We have a very aggressive pest control and sightings are extremely rare. I hope the readers of this review will realize this by reading the many other reviews to notice this is not something that has come up in any recent review. I can understand why you are uncomfortable and again apologize to you.

Thank you again for your review.. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

The hotel in general is good and the rooms are nice, especially the bathroom. The staff is all very friendly, too. The location is the big problem. The hotel is not close to the metro or a selection of restaurants and the in house choices are slim.....the café or bar on the main floor and the Skydome restaurant on the top which has great views over the DC area but it stops there. The food selection is not good and the prices are very high.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for posting your review. I am glad you enjoyed your hotel accommodations and found the staff to be friendly. In all honesty, our convenience to the Metro is what a large majority of our guests enjoy the most about our location. We are only 3 blocks away (7-10 minute walk) and offer a complimentary shuttle. However, I am sorry that you did not feel we are close enough for your needs. Across the Metro is a shopping mall with a very large food court. On the other side of the street is some restaurants of different cuisine. Again, I am sorry you found these to be too far.

While I respect that you did not enjoy the food selections offered, i invite readers to go to the Skydome TripAdvisor page to see that most of our guests leave very happy and wanting to return.

Thank you again for your review and while I am happy you enjoyed the hotel, I am sorry you were not fond of the location. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Me, my children and my father stayed here overnight for a day trip in June. It was a great stay. It was clean and comfortable. Very convenient to the Metro and the mall. My father and kids loved it!! They give out warm cookies to everyone who checks in and out. It was a very good experience!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to post a review. It is nice to read that you had a positive stay with us. The housekeeping staff will be happy to read that you found the hotel to be clean as they work hard to offer this experience to all of our guests. We are fortunate to be so close to the Metro, which makes getting into DC so easy.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back with a warm Doubletree cookie soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed here for a quick, up, and back overnight business trip. I stayed in the south tower. While my room was large with a refrigerator; overall the room was old and worn looking. It had that old motel smell about it. My co-worker had a room in the north tower and said her room was really nice. So, I believe that the north tower has been updated while the south tower was not. The customer service was excellent. The free shuttle to/from the airport was convenient… though we had to wait at the airport much longer as we watched all the other hotel shuttles drive past multiple times. I might come back here for a single night as it was close to where we were meeting, but I’d ask for the north tower next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank flannelpants

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your room accommodation. We are looking forward to completing the room remodel and being able to offer all of our guests a recently refreshed product. I am glad to read that your co-worker enjoyed her room, although the North Tower has not been renovated yet. The team works hard to keep the rooms well maintained. However, I again apologize we let you down with your room.

I appreciate your comment about the positive service you received and it is nice to read that you took advantage of the complimentary shuttle. it is very surprising that you had to wait at the airport as our shuttle leaves every fifteen minutes to drop off/pick up vs most other hotels that leave every half hour. We will be happy to welcome you back and will try to honor a room placement request.

Thank you again for your review and once again I truly am sorry we let you down. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was the WORST experience I have EVER had in a Hilton brand stay. I was only there one night, so could not report the air conditioning in Room 529 did NOT work AT ALL for the entire night. It was 85 and 90% humidity outside and I had to set the thermostat at 60 just to maintain 77 degrees--usually higher. It was cooler in the hall, elevator, lower lobby and outside! Due to travel, went to sleep immediately, thinking the room would cool down. NOPE! Woke at 1AM and tossed and turned the rest of the short night leading to my 5AM airport shuttle. Was not worth complaining to the front desk with so little time to sleep. Any move would have taken most of the time I had remaining--and I used it awake, fighting unusable (other than fan blowing hot air) HVAC. Terrible system!!!! I'll look for other DC accommodations next time--despite this being a "favorite" (Top Two) for years.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your review. I am so sorry that you had a poor experience and understand that your time was limited, but really wish we knew about it so we could have helped make it right. I am glad you were contacted after your stay and found the compensation offer to be acceptable.

It is a shame that despite previous positive experiences that this one bad experience has dropped us from your top two hotel list in the DC area to one that you would not want to return to. I hope you reconsider and we have an opportunity to restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Difficult entrance to hotel from roadway and took longer than normal to get checked in. One of the two rooms I had reserved was not ready when I tried to checkin at 8 pm. Cafe Restaurant did not offer a kids menu for my 3 year old grandchild. However, did allow me to order a grilled cheese though it was not on the menu. Checkout was extremely easy.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your check in experience was longer than usual. We try to offer a quick check in to each guest and typically are able to do this. It is rare for a room not to be ready at that time of night and I am sure it was frustrating for you. Without knowing the specifics I can not comment as to why that was, but I am very sorry it occurred.

I am not sure why the children's menu was not made available to you in the Cafe as we do offer one that has chicken tenders, pizza, grilled cheese, and pasta on it. I am glad the grilled cheese was prepared for your grandchild and will look into why the menu was not available for you.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.