“Great for business or vacation traveler” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
El Paso, Texas
“Great for business or vacation traveler”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Like the title says, this property is best suited for a business traveler first, then a vacationing family second. I say this because I stay here about once or twice a month and about 90% of the guests I see here are business oriented. The metro is about a 8 to 10 minute walk (Pentagon City) away and there are many, many food choices within 15 minutes (walking) (Crystal City Shoppes). Clean, quiet, and the rooms are somewhat newly renovated. Great if you have Hilton status as you'll get a few perks (e.g. $13/night coupon good for breakfast or use in any of the food areas, to include a little shop in the lobby where you can grab sodas, snacks, etc). Gym is great - large and has all you'll need for cardio or weight training. Breakfast is buffet style with great choices. Stay here and you shouldn't regret it - I've been staying here for about 5 years now and never really had a bad experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Anthony C
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for posting your review so others can benefit from your experience. You are correct that the hotel does cater towards both business travelers and leisure guests. Actually, the hotel has a tremendous amount of families and leisure travelers. However, like any hotel in this area, the majority of families come over the weekends. I am not familiar with which days you stay with us, but if it is mid-week then the majority would be business travelers. We are fortunate to have a hotel that both people coming in for business and families coming in for fun can enjoy.

It is nice to have the option of walking to the Metro or enjoying the complimentary shuttle. I am glad you found some places to enjoy an off-site meal. HHonors definitely has some nice amenities for guests in that program (depending on HHonors level) and it is nice that you could take advantage of the ones offered to you. We are proud to have the largest gym of any area hotel and so many of our guests have commented how much they appreciate it having all the equipment needed for a great workout.

Thank you again for your review and for the recommendation. We appreciate you continuing to return and hope you return soon. We do not take your returns for granted and know we need to continue to work hard to earn your visits. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I travelled to Washington, DC, for a one-day business meeting, so I extended my stay for three nights of personal time. I chose the Doubletree Crystal City because I wanted a hotel near a Metro stop that wasn't necessarily downtown. My meeting was in Alexandria, so something between made sense. Proximity to the airport wasn't as important, but also fit my plans. There are several hotels in the Crystal City/Pentagon City area. In this case, Hotels.com had a deal on my three night stay, so that's what I chose.

First, the location. The Doubletree is about 0.4 miles from the Pentagon City Metro Station. (Hint, exit the hotel, walk west on 11th street, south on Eads St, west on the foot/bike path at 12th St and continue on 12 St to the station.) The Metro station is next to the Fashion Centre Mall and Pentagon Row restaurants. There is also a CVS, Best Buy and Costco in the same area, so you can get anything you may need during your stay. While the hotel seems a little off the main path, it's an easy walk.

The hotel provides two free shuttles: One to Washington Airport, and the other to the Metro stop. It's quicker to walk to the Metro unless you catch the shuttle as it is pulling out.

The hotel lobby is essentially an extension of the bar. Plenty of seating. here are some restaurants in the hotel, including the Skydome Lounge and Windows Over Washington (both with views of DC) but we did not eat at any of them during our stay.

Our room was in the South Tower. It had a king bed, sitting chair, desk, microwave and refrigerator. The refrigerator worked very well; one bottle of soda pop partially froze. The room was quiet and clean. We had no issues with noise from other guests. By the way, ask for a room with a north view if you want to see DC from your room.

Because I have been to DC several times, I didn't need to ask the hotel staff for anything special. The interaction I had was courteous, professional and efficient.

While other hotels are closer to a Metro station, the short walk was not inconvenient at all. And the Metro will get you almost anywhere in DC. While I gave this hotel a 4, note that I save a 5 rating for a truly outstanding experience. The Doubletree came very close to getting that 5. With the overall value of the room cost and the location, I will gladly stay here again. (CS)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelerChriss
Thank you for sharing your experience with such a detailed review. It is nice to read that our location was so convenient for your needs in both Alexandria and Washington DC. Your tip on how easy it is to walk to the Metro will be appreciated by many readers, I am sure. Our guests enjoy having the option of taking the short walk to the Metro/Mall or riding in the complimentary shuttle.

The remodeled lobby has received a lot of positive feedback due to the abundance of seating available. I hope next time you visit that you will enjoy one of the food outlets. I do recommend that all guests go up to the Skydome, even if just for a quick drink or to take in the stunning view, although many guests enjoy dinner in the Skydome as it offers a unique experience due to the revolving floor.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your room accommodations. We are fortunate to have so many view rooms in the North Tower. While we do try to extend upgrades when available, the best way to ensure a view room is to reserve it when going through the reservation process.

Thank you again for your review and for the recommendation. We hope you return soon and will work hard to earn a five should you review us again. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

My family and I have had exceptional service and are always greeted with friendliness and a smile by everyone in this hotel. The staff of The Cafe run by Jose and his team are helpful and accommodating no matter what the situation. The food is of an excellent standard and the buffet breakfasts are great value.We have extended our stay in Washington and are so glad that we are staying here, close to all the major attractions. We also dined in the Skydome Restaurant last night and had a spectacular view with spectacular cuisine. We would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to travel to DC.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We will gladly take the title of "best service anywhere in the world" and will work hard to retain it. I am so happy to read that you had a great stay and really appreciate you mentioning the staff. They strive to offer this same experience to all of our guests.

More hotel guests enjoy breakfast in the hotel than any other meal so we know how important it is to get the day started off correctly. We are fortunate to have such a stellar staff and appreciate you mentioning Jose so he can be recognized for his efforts. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast experience.

The Skydome offers such a unique experience. While the stunning view is what brings a lot of people in, we try to match that by offering a fantastic meal. I am so glad to read that we met this goal with you.

Thank you again for your review and for the recommendation. We hope you return soon and will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Illinois City, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I can't say anything bad about my two night stay. The room was very modern and clean. The staff was great at check-in. We used the free airport shuttle to get from National to the hotel and to go to the Pentagon Mall. The shuttle staff was always on time and very helpful in helping us navigate to/from the Pentagon metro stop.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing to share your experience and for choosing to stay with us. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate you mentioning the friendliness of the check in crew. They work hard to offer a warm welcome to all of our guests and I am glad this goal was met with you.

The complimentary shuttles definitely add a lot of convenience to our guests' stay experience. Most hotels offer an airport shuttle every half hour, but we have ours running every fifteen minutes in a continuous loop which our guests appreciate as it is a short wait and no call is needed. The option of walking (3 blocks) to the Mall or Metro or taking the complimentary shuttle is also something many of our guests appreciate. I am glad you found the shuttles to be on time and help make your stay an enjoyable one.

Thank you again for posting your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Crystal City, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Family gathering for burial at Arlington National Cemetery. Did no receive the rooms promised. More family members (about 40) had problems with billing errors than those that did not. Some were charged with parking when they did not have a car. We were promised rooms (about 14) on the same floor. They never could get that figured out. Stays were between 2 nights (minimum) and 5 nights. They are incompetent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for posting your review and I am sorry for your loss. I am also so sorry your stay experience was not a positive one. Being we are so close to Arlington National Cemetery we have many families that stay with us when in town to attend a service there and the large majority leave satisfied with their hotel experience. I am sorry this was not the case for you.

It is not common to promise any group that all rooms will be on the same floor. We work to try and make that happen or have people that request to be together close. With so many different room types, check in days/times, and other factors it is nearly impossible to promise every group to be on the same floor. I am sorry that this was communicated to you (or the group leader) as a promise as that should not have been done and can understand why if you were expecting this that it was disappointing not to all be on the same floor.

Typically the billing is pretty straight forward and without knowing the specifics can not comment on why the bills were incorrect. However, if any have not been resolved to your satisfaction please let me know so I can look into this further.

Thank you again for posting your review and once again I am sorry we let you down. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Good location, and I had a great view. Food from room service was great, but snarly delivery. Confusion is restaurant concerning breakfast vouchers, so I missed out on two free breakfasts. Internet service in room is expensive, and slow. Free internet in lobby was fast and efficient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is nice to read that you enjoyed a view room and had a positive room service experience. I am sorry that there was a challenge with the breakfast vouchers. Without knowing the specifics, I can not comment, but hope you will contact me so we can try to make it right. Many of our guests appreciate having the option of having complimentary Internet in the lobby, Lobby Bar, & business center. I can understand why it would be frustrating to have slower Internet service in your guest room and wish you had let us know. Perhaps a router had to be reset which would have helped speed up your Internet surfing. My apologies that you had this challenge.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon and we will work hard to exceed your expectations.. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Room excellent, wifi not available in rooms (extra daily fee). Available free in main lobby only. Parking not part of hotel nightly rate, extra charge. Close to Airport (Washington National) and day trips to Wash DC. Located just across river in Virginia.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your review. I am glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay experience. Many of our guests appreciate having the option of using complimentary Internet in the lobby, Lobby Bar, and business center. We are fortunate to be close enough to Reagan National Airport to offer a complimentary shuttle. Getting into Washington DC is simple either by driving over the bridge or taking the Metro. We also offer a complimentary shuttle to the Metro for those that can not or choose not to make the three block walk.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.