“Nice Hotel, Clueless Weekend Staff, Expensive Parking”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Charlottesville, United States
“Nice Hotel, Clueless Weekend Staff, Expensive Parking”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Parking at $26 a night for hotel guests seems a bit high. Very nice rooms and lobby. Friendly security guards. The Hotel staff on the weekend, however, seemed complete clueless about how the parking deck worked or where to get a meal in the area and wasn't really trying to help.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am unsure where you hail from, but if you are coming from a place that does not charge for parking, I can understand why $26 may seem high. However, compared to the area hotels, $26 is in line with what is charged for parking and well below the parking prices of hotels inside the District.

I am sorry that the staff you spoke to were unable to assist with your parking question. It is surprising to read as so many of our guests and staff park in the garage. I hope you will contact me so I can better understand your question so if it is asked again we can be prepared with the proper answer.

The staff should be knowledgeable about the area and I apologize if you could not be properly directed. The desk staff is equipped with many menus of local restaurants and offer this information often when asked. I am unsure why you had this challenge, but apologize again as I can understand why it was frustrating for you.

Thank you again for your email and I am sorry the staff let you down. I do hope you return so we can work hard to change your impression. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me directly.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My daughter and I went to DT in DC and to be honest I was a little worried. We booked our tickets through Hotwire and you can't read about the hotel or the reviews or anything for that matter until you pay for the room. The reviews were rough. But....The first people we met were the lovely chaps who helped us park and told us where we needed to go to get checked in. They let us park right by the door and then directions to the parking bay for self park. One review we read said that if you had a large vehicle you were going to have to three-point-turn to get in. We have an old Benz and she's HUGE. No problem parking at all. Andrew checked us in and couldn't of been more polite. (Not to mention he gave us cookies. We love cookies) He then handed us over to Saida, the concierge, who answered all the questions we fired at her with professionalism. But she was so sweet too. Information regarding bus tours and tourist areas. Shopping areas and walks and free stuff. Very helpful and great at her job. Room 310 was super. beds were excellent. Sheets and pillow cases crisp and clean over feather pillows. Feather comforter. Bright lights in the bathroom. No fridge or micro but as all we needed was somewhere to lay our heads and clean up, it was fabulous. Saida made a mistake on one of our tours and came to our room to take of it. AND gave us a coupon for 20% off our meal in the restaurant. (Oh and extra cookies. They were yummy) My only "yuk" feature was the price of the restaurant meal. I own a cleaning business and I wait tables.So I know clean and I know meal prices. Lets just say I was glad we had the coupon. So... Enjoy your stay. We sure did. <3

2 Thank Kim H
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so glad you came and experienced the Doubletree. It is true that people are more likely to review a hotel when a negative experience happens than a positive one as the overwhelmingly majority of our guests leave happy and wanting to return, but that might not be apparent from the reviews.

I have not found our parking garage to be any smaller or tougher to maneuver than most others in the area and I am happy you share that thought. I appreciate you recognizing Andrew and the bell/valet staff. It is so important to make a positive first impression and it is nice to read that they ensured that you had one.

Saida is a huge asset to the hotel; thank you for mentioning her. I am glad to read you put her wealth of knowledge to the test and she responded well. Mistakes happen, but it is so nice to read that Saida took care of it and apologized with a voucher as well as cookies. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room accommodations. We do have refrigerators and microwaves available for rooms that do not already have them. Our menu is soon changing and perhaps if you return, you will find a menu item more in line with what you would like to spend.

Thank you again for the review and for the recommendation. We do hope you will return and we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Recently stayed in this hotel and was not impressed. I am not kidding... these beds were awful. Room 321.The first bed, when sat on, you sunk all the way in to the box spring and could feel springs all over. The other bed seemed better, although we did end up sinking into the center because the bed was so worn. I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst back pain I think I have ever experienced, and just pulled the covers off the broken bed to sleep on the floor. It was the middle of the night or I would definitely have called the front desk for a new room, we had an early flight to catch. In fact, I wanted to complain upon checkout, but no one was manning the front desk. So we just left... and will not be returning.
Room itself, wasn't bad, just overpriced for what you get. Nice TV. This hotel is needing an upgrade, its dated. The AC unit was barely adequate, room was cool, but not cool enough for sleeping.
They only provided 2 towels for 2 people. I am a female with long hair, I need 2 towels for me! :)
Short walk to the nearby metro to go anywhere you need to go, and the airport shuttle was convenient.

Room Tip: Avoid room 321!!! Broken Beds!!!!
1 Thank njkrisko
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very sorry you had such a bad experience. It is so surprising that you did not find the beds to be comfortable. In all honesty, the most consistent comment we receive is how comfortable the beds are. In fact so much so, that the Doubletree brand started selling the same beds on-line as so many guests have asked how to get them for home. The Director of Housekeeping will be looking into the beds in room 321 and I am so sorry you did not enjoy a nice night's sleep.

I understand you not wanting to change rooms in the middle of the night and wish you had known earlier as we most definitely would have worked hard to make it right. We are happy to deliver more towels if needed.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you reconsider your decision not to return and hope you will contact me prior to arrival if you do change your mind. We will work harder to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Happy travels –

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

One of the best...we always enjoy our stay at the Double Tree Hotel in Crystal City. The Staff are excellent, the rooms has a beautiful view, we had very restful sleep; the foods are delicious, whether its in the restaurant or in room service. And when visiting this Double Tree, be sure to visit the 14th floor!!!.... what a view.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am so glad to read you had such a fantastic stay experience. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and taking the time to mention the staff. Our goal is to have every guest leave wanting to return so it is nice to read this goal was met with you.

We are fortunate to have a location to offers such a stunning, unobstructed view of Washington DC. Our view rooms are popular and it sounds like you enjoyed one. The Skydome most definitely has the best view of Washington DC that can be found and the revolving floor makes for a unique experience.

Happy travels –

Syracuse NY, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Hotel was very comfortable and convenient to downtown DC. Staff was great and tourist info lady was exceptional, a great help. She even left her post to help us find the hotel shuttle! The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. I would stay there again without hesitation.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our location to be convenient to your needs. We are fortunate to be so close to Washington DC and the Metro makes is simple for our guests to go in/out of the District.

I appreciate you recognizing the concierge and I am glad she offered such great service. Thank you for your review. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Edmond, OK, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

First, I'll state up front that the hotel room was very nice and met expectations. That said, Double Tree's service is horrible. Just like so many companies out there where the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing, we had a horrible experience with communication. First, I found this hotel by doing an online search for hotels in the area. I found a room at the Double Tree with two beds, although expensive. I called to find out if we can also have a rollaway bed, and if so, I would go ahead and make a reservation. I went through the process of talking to someone who obviously could barely understand my English, and whom I could barely understand. I kept asking if I could get a rollaway bed, and her response was that I "would have to ask for that seperately.". And I kept saying that, yes, then I would like to request a rollaway bed. Her: "you'll have to ask for that seperately." ????? OK, I would like a rollaway bed, etc, etc. I made the reservation anyway, even though I felt like I wasn't sure there was going to be a third bed in our room, which would have been a serious inconvenience. We arrived, I asked if we were going to have a rollaway bed. The check in response: "Did you ask for one?" **rolleyes** "Yes, I did when I made the reservation." Her: "I'll check to see if we have one" Ugh. Now you probably think you know how this ends. Well, be patient... Her: "Yes, we have one for an additional $15". Wow. We already felt like the stay was expensive, now we are going to pile on. I agreed to the additional fee, gave her my CC, and then moved all our bags to the room. I asked the bellhop when the rollaway would be delivered. Him: "Did you ask for one?" Ugh. Yes, we asked for one. Him:"OK, I'll check on that for you." We went out to go sightseeing and grab some dinner. Never saw the bellhop again and there was no message on the phone. When we got back to the room... you guessed it, still no rollaway bed. I called down to the front desk to inquire about the rollaway bed... "Did you ask for one?" UGGGGGHHH!!!!!!! "Yes, we asked for one." Her:"I'll have to check on that for you." Finally, the rollaway bed was delivered as we were getting ready for bed. Very frustrating. VERY. Especially coming from a hotel with a reputation like Double Tree. I expected better. Then... My father-in-law left his glasses in the room and we didn't realize it until we had left town. I called the hotel where I was promptly transferred to "Security" for possible lost and found items. Instead of a person, I got a voicemail. I left a voicemail with a clear call back number and information, but never received a call back. Pathetic Service.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your room accommodations. I am sorry for the miscommunication during the reservation process. Hilton Worldwide, like most hotel companies, have a centrally located reservation office that take reservations for all properties so it will be difficult for me to identify who made your reservation. However, if you contact me directly so I can obtain your reservation information I will try. Again, I apologize for this frustrating conversation.

It is disappointing to read that once on property that you had to inquire about the rollaway so many times. This should have been taken care of on your first inquiry during check in and i am sorry it was not. I do hope you contact me so we can look into this further. Your voicemail should have been returned and I have no doubt that the Director of Security will look into why it was not. However, more importantly, I want to ensure we try to return the glasses to you. Below you will find my contact information and I will also shoot you an email in the hopes of being able to assist.

Thank you again for your review and I am so sorry we let you down. We take comments very seriously and will use yours to help us improve. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Justin, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

There was a family reunion so the restaurants were closed so our only option was the expensive sky line restaurant which cost us $150 for a couple of kid meals (chicken strips were the ONLY option for kids) and 6 bite sized hamburger sliders... we wanted a quick 'easy' dinner at the hotel after traveling for over 24 hours in the car and there were no options for that. Our room also had a water leak and my shoes that I had planned to wear walking around DC got all wet. Our electricity went out in our room while trying to get ready and it took over an hour to get it back. We wanted to check out by 10-11am, and didn't get to check out until 1pm putting us very behind our vacation schedule and having to skip some things we wanted to do.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Doubletree and sharing your review. I am unsure what you mean when saying due to a family reunion our restaurants were closed. We host family reunions just about every weekend in the summer months, but that has no impact on our food outlet hours. The Lobby Bar is open everyday from 4pm - 12am and that serves a full dinner menu. Made Market (formerly Cafe Go) is open 6am - 11pm every day and offers the quick grab and go option you reference looking for. The Skydome is open 5pm - 12am (or 2am on Fri/Sat) and of course there is the room service option also. However, I am sorry the options offered to you did not meet your needs.

My apologies for the water leak. Yes, the water leak caused the power outage and while the Engineering team worked extremely hard to correct the challenge, it did take some time to get everything back in working order. Obviously this is not a common occurrence and was not planned. I am very sorry this occurred during your visit.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope you return. I am very confident that you will have a much improved experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.