“Nice but prepare to WAIT”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The hotel is extremely clean, room and beds were so comfy. Location is ideal close to pretty much anything you need mall, the city,and really good food. The elevators were the absolute worse they took forever to come and once they got there you better run to catch the door. The staff was ok except for parking rude and unaccommodating so prepare to wait for everything. But overall I would go back there for sure.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your accommodations and found the hotel's location to be convenient for your needs. We are fortunate to be so close to the Metro that many of our guests prefer the 3 block walk over the complimentary shuttle.

I am sorry you found the wait to be long for the elevators. In all honesty, this is not a complaint we typically get being there are four elevators per tower that go to guest floors. I will pass on your comment about the valet staff to the company that runs the parking garage. While they are not hotel employees, they are expected to meet the same customer service standards as hotel employees do. I am sorry you had a frustrating experience with them.

Thank you for your review and I am glad to read that you would return. We will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here for four days (after staying at the Embassy Suites and at the Hilton nearby previously). The Embassy Suites has more freebies and the Hilton has more class, but the Double Tree is plenty good and has really good service. Decent pool. Decent breakfast, not included (unless embassy suites). The main thing is that the south tower has somewhat better more recently refurbished rooms, so we changed from north to south, and the first room we had allergy problems in, so we moved to another room. Bellhops were full of helpful information too. All in all, helpful staff made it work.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The variety of amenities and decor at the different brands is one of the great things about Hilton Worldwide. Many guests are loyal to one brand and others choose to switch it up for each trip between the brands. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Embassy Suites, the Hilton, and the Doubletree.

I appreciate you mentioning the service and it is nice to read that you enjoyed the pool. While I am sorry you had to change rooms, I am glad you enjoyed the decor in your second room.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

After the experience at our previous hotel, the service here seemed amazing. From the front desk clerk handing us the standard four DoubleTree cookies at check-in, to ensuring we didn't have to change rooms mid-stay, to the shuttle driver waiting for us to get our bags when our flight was changed at the last minute, to the cafe waiter helping me pack up a to-go breakfast two days in a row, to the coffee shop clerk helping me open our bottle of wine and the event coordinator finding us a yummy southern restaurant on the concierge's day off, the service was solid.

The view from our city-view room was stunning. We had unobstructed view of the Pentagon 3 blocks away and a view of all of the monuments on the mall and Capitol across the Potomac. There was a large lightning storm over DC one night and we had a front row view.

The room was a bit rundown. The mirror on the closet was cracked. The sheets on one of beds needed to be changed when we checked in which was done quickly and we were given a free breakfast. The wall paper was peeling behind a chair. There was a dirt mark on one wall. Once the problems were fixed, the quality of the room was fine.

So a 5 on service, 4 on view amenities (nice pool, weight room, rooftop bar, breakfast buffet, shuttle to airport and metro), 2-3 on room cleanliness for above mentioned problems and comfy bed.

Room Tip: The city view is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you had an enjoyable stay and found our service to exceed your expectations. It is appreciated that you referenced specific examples so we can try to recognize some of the employees that assisted you.

We are fortunate to have such a stellar location that can offer unobstructed views from many of our rooms of Washington DC. I am glad you got to enjoy the view and made the best of the bad lightning storm. As awesome as the views are from the rooms, the Skydome is even more impressive. I hope you enjoyed the view from the Skydome as much (if not more) than from you did from your room.

I am sorry that the condition of the room was disappointing, but glad the challenges were addressed quickly. Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon and please know that we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I'd like to warn of the many problems of this property. From the a.c. to the closed pool, this was a disappointment. I had to stand in line for 20 mins in the sweltering lobby. No executive lounge or floor for Hilton Honors members, no room upgrade either. Hilton Honors breakfast coupons?... only continental. Upcharge for a poor buffet of cold, soggy eggs, etc. Room a.c. would not cool properly for both of our rooms. Also, the pool, highly anticipated by kids, was still closed (supposed to have been reopened by arrival). Don't think you can walk easily to the metro in summer heat, especially with kids. The shuttle is depressing and takes just as long. Area is disappointing around property. One compliment! The revolving restaurant has outstanding views. Oh, and I should have taken a picture of this room! 1980's room if i've ever seen one. Blah.

Room Tip: If you want a Hilton brand property outside of D.C. I would recommend the Hilton in Tyson's Corn...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank thunder3

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you had a disappointing stay. An executive lounge is something that is commonly found in Hilton Hotels, but it is not as common in Doubletree Hotels and Embassy Suites Hotels. I would recommend calling ahead of time to ask if this a feature a Doubletree/Embassy Suites has prior to booking if this is important to you. I am sorry you were surprised to find this is not something offered at this hotel.

We do offer complimentary room upgrades when there is availability. As with any hotel, upgrades can not be guaranteed as it depends on how many upgraded room types are available on the day of check in. Over the July 4th holiday, when I believe you stayed, the hotel was completely sold out most nights meaning upgrades were not available. The only way to be assured of a certain room type is to reserve it at the time of your reservation. I am sorry an upgrade was not available for you, but hope you understand that in high occupancy times upgrades are less likely to be available.

The HHonors amenity of a continental breakfast is not one that is set at the hotel, but with the HHonors department. We used to offer a full breakfast to HHonors members, but we have been asked to comply with the HHonors amenity program of only offering a continental breakfast. Hilton Worldwide would like all hotels to strictly follow the program so our travelers experience consistency from hotel to hotel. I will pass your comment onto the HHonors team as they often take guest comments into consideration when making changes to the amenity program. We do offer an option to upgrade to a full breakfast buffet for only $5, which is a significant discount off the listed price.

I am sorry that you had a challenge with the air conditioning in your room. Our engineering team would have gladly looked into that to see why your room was not as cool as you would have liked. Unfortunately, the pool had to be closed for a repair. On the day it was to reopen, we received word from the company that was working on it that a part needed to reopen the pool was not in yet causing a delay on reopening. It was very disappointing for us as we know a lot of our guests were looking forward to using the pool and even more disappointing for our guests. I am very sorry this occurred and can understand why you would have been frustrated with the pool having to remain closed.

I hope the readers of this review will read the many other reviews noting how convenient it is to have the shuttle ride. I am unsure what you mean by it being depressing. The shuttle runs on a set schedule and so many of our guests enjoy having the option of riding when the weather does not cooperate to allow for the short three block walk. Again, I am sorry you were disappointed with the shuttle service.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed the Skydome. The views are spectacular. We have many different room types and I am sorry you were not happy with the one you stayed in.

Thank you again for your review and I really am sorry you left so disappointed. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We reserved a Jr. Suite because our teenage daughter was traveling with us & we wanted to have privacy for sleeping. We were very disappointed that there was no door separating the living space from the bedroom. The quality of the food was mediocre & the price high. Finally, we only were able to use the pool once very briefly during our 4 day stay because of the poor condition of the water. The water was cloudy & had floating debris, some of which appeared to be mucus. Following our long days of walking in the extreme heat & humidity, it was very disappointing not to be able to use the pool at the end of each day.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We do have some suites that offer the door that separates the bedroom from the living room, but our Jr. Suites do not. I am sorry this was disappointing for you.

I am surprised to read about the pool water condition. We have no recorded incidents and until your comment, I have not heard of any complaints regarding the quality of the water. The company we have that runs the pool does constant pool water checks and records their findings. Your comment will be forwarded to them. I am very sorry you were disappointed with the condition of the pool.

Thank you for your review and I do hope you return. Please contact me ahead of time so I can be sure your reserved room has all of the features you want. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My parents have never been to Washington, DC, so my husband and I decided to take them. We were there from 7/7-7/10/13. We both stayed in rooms with a view of the DC skyline. It was wonderful. When we arrived, there was not a microwave in the room for me and my husband. I called the front desk and they promptly brought one to our room. The location of the hotel is near quite a few restaurants and not far from a grocery store. We used the hotel shuttle to travel back and forth from the Pentagon City subway station (we used to subway to go to DC). The staff was friendly and helpful and we would stay there again. My dad loves chocolate chip cookies so the free cookie at check in was just what he needed to start his vacation.

1  Thank Thay_37

Thank you for your review and for choosing to have your parents' first DC visit be with us. I am glad to read that you had a great experience.

Having the complimentary shuttle to/from the Pentagon City Metro Station makes it very convenient to get into/out of Washington DC. It is also nice to have the option of walking to the Metro, being it is only 3 blocks away.

I appreciate you mentioning the staff and I am glad your dad enjoyed the Doubletree cookie offered to him at check in.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

researched hotels online in DC area for family vacation. Kids liked picture of the pool. Upon arrival, we were informed the pool would not be available but that we could take a shuttle to a sister hotel and use their pool. While this was inconvenient, we tried it. The other hotel had a very small pool and family was turned away by staff at that hotel who stated they were no longer willing to allow the shared arrangement. Staff at Doubletree were surprised by this and unwilling to contact other hotel to clarify agreement. Air conditioning in room did not work. Maintenance worked on it for several days but unable to fix problem. Do not stay here!

1  Thank Betsey C

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that the pool had to be closed for a repair. We did make other arrangements, but again apologize that there was a challenge in swimming at the other property. I can understand why this would be frustrating for you and your children.

I offer my apologies that you had a challenge with your air conditioner. Typically if an issue can not be resolved an offer to move rooms is made. I do hope you will contact me directly so I have an opportunity to personally apologize as well as have the Director of Property Operations look into this further.

Thank you again for your review and I am very sorry we let you down. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.