“Washington DC Family Trip”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My parents have never been to Washington, DC, so my husband and I decided to take them. We were there from 7/7-7/10/13. We both stayed in rooms with a view of the DC skyline. It was wonderful. When we arrived, there was not a microwave in the room for me and my husband. I called the front desk and they promptly brought one to our room. The location of the hotel is near quite a few restaurants and not far from a grocery store. We used the hotel shuttle to travel back and forth from the Pentagon City subway station (we used to subway to go to DC). The staff was friendly and helpful and we would stay there again. My dad loves chocolate chip cookies so the free cookie at check in was just what he needed to start his vacation.

1  Thank Thay_37
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your review and for choosing to have your parents' first DC visit be with us. I am glad to read that you had a great experience.

Having the complimentary shuttle to/from the Pentagon City Metro Station makes it very convenient to get into/out of Washington DC. It is also nice to have the option of walking to the Metro, being it is only 3 blocks away.

I appreciate you mentioning the staff and I am glad your dad enjoyed the Doubletree cookie offered to him at check in.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,005)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

researched hotels online in DC area for family vacation. Kids liked picture of the pool. Upon arrival, we were informed the pool would not be available but that we could take a shuttle to a sister hotel and use their pool. While this was inconvenient, we tried it. The other hotel had a very small pool and family was turned away by staff at that hotel who stated they were no longer willing to allow the shared arrangement. Staff at Doubletree were surprised by this and unwilling to contact other hotel to clarify agreement. Air conditioning in room did not work. Maintenance worked on it for several days but unable to fix problem. Do not stay here!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Betsey C

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that the pool had to be closed for a repair. We did make other arrangements, but again apologize that there was a challenge in swimming at the other property. I can understand why this would be frustrating for you and your children.

I offer my apologies that you had a challenge with your air conditioner. Typically if an issue can not be resolved an offer to move rooms is made. I do hope you will contact me directly so I have an opportunity to personally apologize as well as have the Director of Property Operations look into this further.

Thank you again for your review and I am very sorry we let you down. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I travelled to Washington D.C. to help my daughter find an apartment since she just got a job in D.C. I was using Hilton reward points and found this hotel. We had a very early flight from Birmingham, Alabama and arrived around 9:30 am. I knew the room might not be ready. When I went to the desk I was told that my room was not ready but for $20.00 extra dollars or so I could upgrade to a city view room and it was ready. At first I just blew it off and said I would wait until my room was ready. But the more I thought about it I got mad. I am an awards member so I asked to speak to the manager. The manager handled the situation beautifully. She apologized, called housekeeping and asked that they get my room ready immediately. The manager handled the check in personally while we waited in the spacious and comfortable lobby area. The manager made everything right and the rest of the stay was perfect.

The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to the Metro stop and the airport. Both shuttles run every 30 minutes and they run all day. We rode both shuttles and they provided excellent transportation. It was very hot in the city but our room air conditioner worked well. We were actually able to set the temperature at 66 degrees and it really got that cold in the room. Many hotels have a lock that it can only actually cool to a certain temperature but the thermostat in our 13th floor room worked properly. Housekeeping did an excellent job. Our room had two double beds, a dresser, refrigerator, microwave, a comfortable desk and chair. The lighting was good and the room was quiet. The ice machine and vending were on every floor but the 13th floor ice machine was not working so we had to get ice from another floor.

They have a restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch which I did not use. I did get Starbucks coffee from the café and ate a great dinner at the lobby bar. The food and service at the lobby bar were both excellent and not too overpriced. The lobby bar has a variety of spacious seating. I would definitely stay here again and feel comfortable recommending this hotel to you.

1  Thank Jeffrey B
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review. We do try to accommodate early check ins, but they are based on availability. I am glad the manager was able to assist in offering you a complimentary upgrade into a room that was available for you to go to so early in the morning and apologize that you were frustrated prior to speaking to the manager.

Our shuttle to Reagan National actually runs every fifteen minutes while the Metro shuttle runs every half hour. I am glad you room was cool enough to help beat the heat of the DC summer! I appreciate you mentioning that you were pleased with the housekeeper's efforts. I am sorry the ice machine on the 13th floor did not operate properly and will ensure engineering is alerted to this so it can be corrected.

I am glad to read you enjoyed your experience in the Lobby Bar and found the menu to offer a wide variety of options. Thank you again for your review and choosing to stay with us as well as the recommendation. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The first thing that I have to say in reviewing this location, is that I have given it a 3 star review because I believe the prices to be far too high in almost every aspect of this hotel. This should not, however, reflect poorly on the hotel itself or any of its staff and management because I realize that they don't have much control over prices. Regardless, I believe that charging a guest an extra 11 dollars (I believe) for Wifi in their room is utterly ridiculous. Needless to say, we refused to pay it and opted instead to use the free Wifi provided IF you were willing to make the trek down to the Lobby in a very large hotel.

That was the issue that really soured the whole experience because we were already paying over 250 dollars just to stay in the room for one night. There's no complimentary breakfast provided (though this is standard for Double Tree) and the prices they want for breakfast at their restaurant are near to being criminal.

Again, I stress that these issues are not directly the hotel's fault. This review is mainly to give travelers a heads up about the prices. The staff members at the hotel were very courteous and professional without fail and the hotel is very clean and well decorated. There are plenty of places to sit in the lobby and there are some good views of DC to enjoy out of some of the windows.

This is not a bad location. Just be ready to pay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate you mentioning that the rating is based on the prices and not the service received.

You are correct, the decision to charge for the Internet (in guest rooms) is not one the hotel has control over. Hilton Worldwide has decided that there will be a charge for guest room Internet in all full service hotels (Doubletree, Hilton, and Embassy Suites). This is the same decision that all major hotel chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc.) have made as they too charge in their full service brands. I am glad you took advantage of the complimentary Internet in the lobby. We also offer computers with complimentary Internet in our business center.

I do want to mention that we have room packages that include Internet so if this is important to you please be sure to look into this option as most hotels offer rate packages with different amenities included. There are also packages that include breakfast. Also complimentary Internet and breakfast is offered to Gold & Diamond HHonors members. We are happy to sign any guest up for HHonors and apply their current stay to their new membership.

It is nice to read that you had a positive experience in regards to the staff and your accommodations. Thank you again for your review and choosing to stay with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Ok enough. Everything other than basic room is extra. Each local land line phone call - extra, roll away bed- extra , parking- extra, breakfast-extra and overpriced, you can find better places to stay with better rates. the only saving grace is that we were there on the Fourth of July and had a city view room. The view of the DC Fireworks was great. If it hadn't been for that we would have chosen another hotel to stay at. and next year will probably pay a few extra bucks to stay in the city on the 4th.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry that you felt the price did not include what you needed. We do offer packages that include phone calls, parking, and breakfast. So if these are important items to you, please be sure to pick the room rate option that fits your needs. It is not uncommon for most area hotels to charge for phone calls, breakfast, roll always, and parking if those costs are not included in the room rate.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed the view and the Washington DC fireworks display from the comfort of your room. I hope you reconsider and return next year after shopping around for prices as you will find ours are in line with other area hotels.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

if you get one of the double rooms designated as having a Mall view. You can even hear the fireworks a bit; otherwise, the rooms are surprisingly soundproof, except for the usual problem of hearing everything in the hallway. The Mall view rooms are two doubles, and the doubles are on the narrow side. Elevators can be busy at times. The Metro is four blocks away, not two and a half, so a bit of a walk. The hotel provides a shuttle to the Metro, but then you are tied to their schedule of every 30 minutes. The room we had did not cool well; set to 62 just to keep it in the high 70's; there are other reviews that mention cooling issues, so it seems the AC needs updating. Excellent staff.

Room Tip: The North Tower has the double rooms with the Mall view. Supposedly there are some Kings that also...
1  Thank David R

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your accommodations and were able to take in the Washington DC fireworks display from the comfort of your room. I am sorry if noises in the hallway disturbed you. This is not a challenge we usually hear, but again apologize to you.

We do have view rooms that offer king beds as well if you prefer this to a double bed. As with most hotels, on a super busy weekend (like July 4th) the elevators can get busy at peak times. Luckily we have four per tower to help avoid this.

The Pentagon City Metro Station is a 3 block walk (7-10 minutes). It is nice to have the option of walking or taking the shuttle so if you arrive or want to leave at a time in between shuttle runs you do not have to wait. We have many guests that prefer walking over taking the shuttle because it is such an easy walk.

I am sorry that you had a challenge in cooling your room. The rooms that face DC sit in direct line of the sun during the day so on hot sunny days we recommend keeping the curtains closed (when you are not in the room) to help keep the room cool. Again, I am sorry that you had a challenge in keeping your room cool. I appreciate you commenting on the nice staff.

Thank you again for your review and recommendation. We hope you return soon and we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights over the 4th of July. Every person from the hotel's staff was friendly and helpful. It was a busy 3 days in a crowded hotel, but everyone apparently got the message to put on their best face. From our check-in experience, concierge, lobby bar, breakfast buffet staff, Bell captain, - you name it, for us it came together seamlessly. I mentioned on check-in that the major reason we were there was to see the fireworks from our balcony view. I had reserved one of their Junior Suites advertised as having views over the Potomac, Washington Monument and Capital. Our room was perfect for that (#674). The hotel is a short drive into the Mall area and all the tourist sites. It is about 4 blocks to a Shopping Mall and the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle to the Metro stop for a quick inexpensive trip into the DC.
The only negatives I can mention - which gets overshadowed by the great and cheerful service - is that the hotel is definitely showing its age and is in need of a Spring cleaning. All the important stuff was OK, but signs of needed cleaning in corners, dingy curtain panels at the tops, and some mildew in the tub grout that is apparently deeply ingrained could use some attention or a redo.
Would I stay here again? You betcha. Get a King Suite and ask for the "business plan" - if you have a car. Parking is steep all over DC, but the Business plan gives you self-parking, internet service, and Buffet breakfast (which is great - ask for Mohamed's section) at The Cafe in the lobby.

We plan to return in the Fall to see even more sights, and without the massive crowd of July 4th weekend!!

Room Tip: King Suites (w/balcony) are large and all have excellent views of Washington DC. Be careful though...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate you staying with us and mentioning the friendly staff. We do our best to offer the same top notch service regardless of the occupancy and I am glad this was your experience.

Our view rooms and suites are popular all year, but especially on July 4th. I am glad you got to enjoy the fireworks display from your suite balcony. We are fortunate to have a location that can offer this fantastic view and also be so close to the Metro, which makes getting in and out of Washington DC so easy.

I appreciate the suggestions on what we can do to improve. The entire staff reads every review and we use guest feedback to help us improve.

Thank you again for your review and recommendation. We look forward to your fall return. One tip to avoid the crowds is to avoid the last two weekends in October. One is the Army 10 miler and the other is the Marine Corp Marathon, both of these bring in big crowds. Please know that when you return we will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.