After reading the reviews, most of which were positive, I felt we were making a good choice with this hotel. I even corresponded with the hotel mgr prior to our visit to secure a city view room, which was greatly appreciated.
There were pros and cons to this hotel. If you are traveling without a car and want to use the metro system, this would be a good choice. It was within walking distance to a metro stop or you could take the shuttle. We took the shuttle the first time but learned we could walk there quicker, considering the shuttle stops at another hotel to pick up guests. Also - the views from the rotating restaurant were beautiful. The food was OK, but a bit cold since there isn't a kitchen up there. It's brought up via the elevator.
Now for the cons. We checked in early on a Friday. There was no one waiting at the check in desk; however, there was a discussion going on between the hotel staff and security that we apparently interrupted. One of our 2 rooms was ready, so we checked in (without getting our cookie, by the way) and proceeded to our room. As promised, we did get a city view room and the view was very nice. However, the room was very outdated. I understand that there is a wing of the hotel that has undergone renovations. Apparently, we weren't in that wing. Note - DO NOT pull out the bedside table to look for an outlet. Yuck! That wasn't, however, the worst part about the room. The worst part was the fact that the walls were paper thin. The first night there, we could've sworn the people next door were in the room with us. You would think that if we could hear them, they could hear us, but I guess our pounding on the walls couldn't overshadow the noises they were making. Let's just say I'm glad my kids weren't with me, because I would've had some explaining to do.
The staff was not helpful at all. The concierge told us that it would be cheaper for 4 of us to take a cab down to Ford's Theater, rather than take the Metro. After paying the one-way $25 cab fare, we decided to take the Metro from there on out. For about $5/person, we rode all day to wherever we wanted and then back. The concierge also would not help us with getting tickets to any museums that required advanced ticket purchases. I thought that's what a concierge did?
The cherry on top of the weekend, though, came Friday night when we were sitting in the lobby bar having drinks and appetizers. We were enjoying the people-watching because there happened to be a ballroom dancing convention of some sort going on and they were putting on a Tango workshop in one of the meeting rooms directly across from the bar. All of a sudden, police officers started pouring out of the elevators and up the escalators into the lobby and into another set of elevators up to the floors where our rooms were. We questioned our waiter as to what was going on, but he didn't provide any details. He just told us not to worry, that we were safe. I know that whatever happened was out of the hotel's control, but it was still a bit scary. Also, to the hotel's credit, they obviously reacted accordingly. Perhaps this should be listed as a pro, rather than a con.
Overall - I just had higher expectations. It wasn't terrible, but I don't think I'd choose this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Full service hotel minutes from Ronald Reagan National Airport and located across the Potomac from Washington D.C. just two blocks from the Pentagon and Fashion Centre Shopping Mall. Houses the areas only revolving rooftop restaurant and lounge featuring views of the DC skyline. Amenities include luxurious guest rooms and suites with high speed internet access, fitness center, indoor heated pool, lobby bar, cafe, and fine dining restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton - Washington Dc - Crystal City Hotel Arlington
- Doubletree Hotel Arlington
- Doubletree Crystal City National Airport
- Doubletree Hotel Crystal City