DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Crystal Gateway Marriott(Arlington)
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
3,051 results
All reviewsdouble treenorth towerrevolving restaurantskydome restaurantcrystal citywarm cookieslobby barpentagon city metrowhole foodsself parkingbreakfast buffetwashington dcfree shuttleshopping mallshuttle servicereagan airportfitness center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel not only has impeccable amenities (including a pool with lifeguard on duty and a state-of-the-art gym), the service was amazing. Every single person from the front desk to the maintenance man who checked something in our room to the manager himself (Kevin) made my family feel welcome, at home, cared-for and like we were the only guests in the hotel. I have never felt so relaxed and welcomed at a hotel before and I have traveled quite a bit. We were in town for a hockey game for my husband's birthday and to see the sites and LOVED staying here!!! It is amazingly close to the city and very convenient to access via Metro. It was super-nice having the option to use the shuttle with tired kiddos! The Skydome restaurant was unique and fun -- the kids loved it. I recommend the desserts - especially the chocolate cake. I am usually content with just staying wherever the best deals are, but from now on, I'll be a Doubletree/Hilton girl! Thank you, Kevin, and your amazing staff for the best trip ever!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a city view. So fun to peek out and see the monument/memorials from your room! Rooms not near the elevators would be advisable if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mhaggstrom
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you contacted me prior to your arrival so we could be sure to help make your husband's birthday a special one. I appreciate you mentioning the positive interactions that you had with the staff as we work hard to give each guest a fantastic stay experience.

I am glad the weather cooperated to let you see the sites and that you also saw a good Penguins/Capitals game. Yes, I understand how difficult even the short 3 block walk can be with tired kids, so it is definitely a plus to have the option of taking the shuttle. It is nice to read that you found our location convenient.

The Skydome is very unique to the area as it is the only rooftop revolving lounge/restaurant and I too recommend each guest get up there at least once. I appreciate the recommendation of the desserts and I am glad you enjoyed the chocolate cake.

Thank you again for the review and for staying with us. We look forward to your next visit and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed at the Doubletree Crystal City on business. They have a convenient shuttle from the airport. Have 3 restaurants, the Skydome restaurant if pretty cool, it revolves and give awesome views of the Pentagon and DC.

Pretty gym (4 elliptical trainers, 6 treadmills, dumb bells, free weights, weight machines).

A short 2 block walk to the to the Pentagon City metro stop.

Here's a pool on the 14 floor.

The staff was very friendly and hardworking!

1  Thank dennish124
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a nice stay experience. The complimentary airport shuttle (as well as the Metro/Mall shuttle) does make it very convenient for our guests that are not renting a vehicle. Our guests really appreciate having the option of walking to the Metro/Mall (3 blocks; 7-10 minutes) or taking the shuttle.

The Skydome is a unique experience as it is the only revolving rooftop lounge/restaurant in the DC area. I am happy to read that you went up and had an enjoyable time.

We are proud to have the largest fitness room of any single hotel in the area and our guests that workout seem to really be happy with it. I appreciate the comment about the staff as we do work hard to offer each guest a positive stay experience.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my reviews to contact me anytime.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've stayed here a few times in the past couple of years, mostly because other nearby Hilton properties did not have vacancies. It's a nice hotel, don't get me wrong, and it has a whiff of being cosmopolitan. It's what I call 'perfectly adequate.'
The rooms are decorated with a modern flair. I had suites -- a sitting room and a bedroom separated by a short hall with a bathroom. This is quite comfortable for a one-week stay. Both rooms had large flat-screen TVs, which was nice. The rotating Skydome restaurant is kind of cool. It seems like it could do with a decorating overhaul, but it offers a great view of DC. Another huge plus is that this Doubletree has a terrific fitness facility -- one of the best I've seen for any hotel! It is spacious with at least 15 pieces of aerobic equipment with TVs, as well as weight machines and free weights.

Cleanliness (which, to be honest, is increasingly sub-par at many hotels). One room had nail clippings on the bathroom vanity, a distinct whiff of cigarette smoke (despite being a non-smoking room with a warning of a $150 cleaning fee for smoking), and the sitting room furniture askew. The next room must have been "cleaned" of smoke by spraying copious amounts of air freshener; I was almost gagging. Other rooms were ... adequate. Bedding seemed fresh and clean. A plus: the large window curtains really DO block out light completely!

Food: The continental buffet breakfast is your best bet with plenty of fruit, cereal, bread, yogurt and self-serve hot items that include eggs, potatoes and bacon daily. Not sure if there's a language issue or what, but three days running (when the buffet was closed for unknown reasons), when I ordered a toasted plain bagel, I received three different kinds of bagels that were merely warmed over. The Skydome has an adequate menu, but it did not over-excite me. Neither did the food. So, you get the view, but not the whole meal experience. If it's late and you're hungry, this will do. If you truly want to dine ... move on.

Location: It's a bit of a walk to everything. The Pentagon City Metro is a 10-minute walk (the hotel runs a shuttle about every 15 minutes). The Crystal City Metro is also a 10-minute walk. You can find adequate, chain restaurants in Crystal City or the food court of the Pentagon City mall. Pass those and keep going to 23rd Street and you'll find some interesting local restaurants (Italian, Mexican, etc.). It's just under a 1-mile walk from hotel, or a taxi is about $5.

Staff: Very friendly and helpful. I felt like the male patrons of the lobby bar were helped more quickly and more often than this solo female, but it's not a major complaint.

Green: This gets a talk-the-talk rating. Nine times out of 10 when a hotel has "hang your towel on a bar to re-use" cards ... they don't live up to it. My towels were replaced every day except for one. Kudos, though, that it has in-room trash and recycling receptacles. It's questionable whether the stuff is actually separated.

Room Tip: Rooms face DC or the wall of a neighboring apartment building. The former usually cost more, but it may be worth asking if they are available.
2  Thank gig-girl2

Thank you for your review. While I am glad you had an overall positive experience, we strive to be much more than adequate so we appreciate your feedback as we will use your comments to help us improve.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed the spaciousness of your suite and found it to be comfortable. We are proud to have the largest fitness room of any single hotel in the area and our guests that workout seem to really be happy with it.

I am sorry that one of the rooms was not cleaned properly as that should not have been the case. We do enforce the $150 charge for smoking in a room/suite, but unfortunately some guests still choose to smoke in them. As you most likely know, it is very difficult to remove the smokey smell, but we do our absolute best. I apologize that a trace of the smokey smell was left as a fellow non-smoker, I understand how frustrating that is. The blackout curtains are a big plus as you are correct, when closed, no light shines through.

The option of taking the shuttle to the Metro/Mall or walking (3 blocks; 7-10 minutes) is appreciated by our guests. Actually that shuttle leaves every half hour (the airport shuttle leaves every 15 minutes in peak travel times). You are correct again, 23rd street is an excellent place to go for so many cuisine options. While it is a bit of a walk, our shuttle will drop/pick up there upon request.

I appreciate you noting the helpfulness of the staff. I am unsure why the male patrons would be helped more quickly than the females in the Lobby Bar, but will bring this up to the Director of Food & Beverage. Typically, as with any food establishment our patrons are helped in the order of arrival. I am sorry you felt this way and hope that if you return that you would not find this to be the case.

The Director of Housekeeping really reinforces to the staff how important it is to live up to the Green promises that the hotel makes, so it is nice to read that this occurred with you.

Thank you again for the review and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again - and not only when the other hotels are sold out. We will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was in town for business and stayed in the hotel for three nights during the inauguration festivities. All of the staff were great from the bell captain, front desk, and security. The Metro Stop is only about 5 to 10 minutes away but if you ask nicely the hotel shuttle will take you and your friends anywhere you want to go within reason. They have a nice workout facility but several of the treadmills neeeded some service. There is a nice bar/lounge and a restaurant niether of which I tried. You can get Starbucks coffee in the lobby but the line was really slow and the hotel was very full. The rooms were ok and beds were great. I had a great view of DC from my window. You are not really very close to many restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for view of the Pentagon and monuments. We stayed in the North Tower.
1  Thank tjlex
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you had a positive hotel experience and appreciate you mentioning the attentiveness of the staff. We work hard to make sure our guest interactions are positive ones.

While I am glad the shuttle was able to veer off the scheduled path to assist you, I don't want this to be the expectation of others. Actually, this is the first I have heard of this as the shuttles really stick to the schedule and do not offer drop offs/ pick ups elsewhere in Crystal City. Your comment on the treadmills has been sent to our Director of Property Operations. While he may already be aware of this, he will work with the outside vendor to ensure the equipment is serviced.

Next time you will need to try the Lobby Bar & Skydome. I apologize that the line moved slowly in Cafe Go. You are correct, Inauguration weekend was extremely busy and we had a lot of people on the go early (more than usual) so perhaps that caused the lines to be longer.

It is nice to read that you found the bed to be comfortable and were able to enjoy the view. We are lucky that our location allows us to offer fantastic views of DC from our view rooms. I am sorry that you did not find the selection of restaurants that you were looking for. We do have some restaurants in the Pentagon Fashion Centre Mall, along with a large food court. Also on 23rd street, there is a row of restaurants of all kinds of cuisine as well as some chains. 23rd street is a stop our shuttle will make if requested.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

So I was stuck in DC for an extra day and the airline put me up in this hotel. The hotel itself was actually pretty nice. It had a strange entrance where you had to go up a set of escalators to get to the lobby. The room was spacious. I don't recall the actual view since this was suppose to be an airport hotel. The room did seem a little dirty though. I happen to drop something by the drapes and reached over to pick it up. And there were some huge dust balls. Nasty. The bathroom was pretty big but again it didn't seem as clean as it could be. The one other thing I found a little annoying was that the toilet ran all night. I had to close the bathroom door. I tried telling the front desk person but I think she was distracted with something else. So I figured it would get fixed some day...The shuttle back to the airport left early so ended up having to wait another 15 minutes before the next one came. It was fine since I allowed plenty of time to get to the airport.

2  Thank Seattletraveler98108
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you got stuck in DC, but glad you had an opportunity to stay with us. While technically we are an airport property and offer a complimentary shuttle to Reagan Airport, the hotel is set far enough away that airport noise is not a challenge for our guests. Many of our guests enjoy that the hotel is actually more of a suburban hotel than airport.

I am sorry some dust accumulated under the drape and that the bathroom cleanliness was below your expectation. I hope you will contact me directly so we can identify the room number and have it taken care of immediately. I can understand why a running toilet would be annoying and apologize that the desk agent you spoke to did not respond properly.

The shuttles run on a schedule and should not depart early. We understand many people rely on the shuttle to depart on time and some do not leave extra time like you did. The only time the shuttle will leave early is if it is completely full, which can happen during peak travel time. I am sorry the shuttle left early, but glad it did not negatively affect your travel plan.

Thank you again for the review. I am sorry we let you down and do hope you return so we can offer you a much more positive experience. I invite you and anyone else reading my response to contact me anytime.