I've stayed here a few times in the past couple of years, mostly because other nearby Hilton properties did not have vacancies. It's a nice hotel, don't get me wrong, and it has a whiff of being cosmopolitan. It's what I call 'perfectly adequate.'
The rooms are decorated with a modern flair. I had suites -- a sitting room and a bedroom separated by a short hall with a bathroom. This is quite comfortable for a one-week stay. Both rooms had large flat-screen TVs, which was nice. The rotating Skydome restaurant is kind of cool. It seems like it could do with a decorating overhaul, but it offers a great view of DC. Another huge plus is that this Doubletree has a terrific fitness facility -- one of the best I've seen for any hotel! It is spacious with at least 15 pieces of aerobic equipment with TVs, as well as weight machines and free weights.
Cleanliness (which, to be honest, is increasingly sub-par at many hotels). One room had nail clippings on the bathroom vanity, a distinct whiff of cigarette smoke (despite being a non-smoking room with a warning of a $150 cleaning fee for smoking), and the sitting room furniture askew. The next room must have been "cleaned" of smoke by spraying copious amounts of air freshener; I was almost gagging. Other rooms were ... adequate. Bedding seemed fresh and clean. A plus: the large window curtains really DO block out light completely!
Food: The continental buffet breakfast is your best bet with plenty of fruit, cereal, bread, yogurt and self-serve hot items that include eggs, potatoes and bacon daily. Not sure if there's a language issue or what, but three days running (when the buffet was closed for unknown reasons), when I ordered a toasted plain bagel, I received three different kinds of bagels that were merely warmed over. The Skydome has an adequate menu, but it did not over-excite me. Neither did the food. So, you get the view, but not the whole meal experience. If it's late and you're hungry, this will do. If you truly want to dine ... move on.
Location: It's a bit of a walk to everything. The Pentagon City Metro is a 10-minute walk (the hotel runs a shuttle about every 15 minutes). The Crystal City Metro is also a 10-minute walk. You can find adequate, chain restaurants in Crystal City or the food court of the Pentagon City mall. Pass those and keep going to 23rd Street and you'll find some interesting local restaurants (Italian, Mexican, etc.). It's just under a 1-mile walk from hotel, or a taxi is about $5.
Staff: Very friendly and helpful. I felt like the male patrons of the lobby bar were helped more quickly and more often than this solo female, but it's not a major complaint.
Green: This gets a talk-the-talk rating. Nine times out of 10 when a hotel has "hang your towel on a bar to re-use" cards ... they don't live up to it. My towels were replaced every day except for one. Kudos, though, that it has in-room trash and recycling receptacles. It's questionable whether the stuff is actually separated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Full service hotel minutes from Ronald Reagan National Airport and located across the Potomac from Washington D.C. just two blocks from the Pentagon and Fashion Centre Shopping Mall. Houses the areas only revolving rooftop restaurant and lounge featuring views of the DC skyline. Amenities include luxurious guest rooms and suites with high speed internet access, fitness center, indoor heated pool, lobby bar, cafe, and fine dining restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton - Washington Dc - Crystal City Hotel Arlington
- Doubletree Hotel Arlington
- Doubletree Crystal City National Airport
- Doubletree Hotel Crystal City