“Great hotel close to it all”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Lexington, Kentucky
“Great hotel close to it all”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was in town for business and stayed in the hotel for three nights during the inauguration festivities. All of the staff were great from the bell captain, front desk, and security. The Metro Stop is only about 5 to 10 minutes away but if you ask nicely the hotel shuttle will take you and your friends anywhere you want to go within reason. They have a nice workout facility but several of the treadmills neeeded some service. There is a nice bar/lounge and a restaurant niether of which I tried. You can get Starbucks coffee in the lobby but the line was really slow and the hotel was very full. The rooms were ok and beds were great. I had a great view of DC from my window. You are not really very close to many restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for view of the Pentagon and monuments. We stayed in the North Tower.
1 Thank tjlex
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you had a positive hotel experience and appreciate you mentioning the attentiveness of the staff. We work hard to make sure our guest interactions are positive ones.

While I am glad the shuttle was able to veer off the scheduled path to assist you, I don't want this to be the expectation of others. Actually, this is the first I have heard of this as the shuttles really stick to the schedule and do not offer drop offs/ pick ups elsewhere in Crystal City. Your comment on the treadmills has been sent to our Director of Property Operations. While he may already be aware of this, he will work with the outside vendor to ensure the equipment is serviced.

Next time you will need to try the Lobby Bar & Skydome. I apologize that the line moved slowly in Cafe Go. You are correct, Inauguration weekend was extremely busy and we had a lot of people on the go early (more than usual) so perhaps that caused the lines to be longer.

It is nice to read that you found the bed to be comfortable and were able to enjoy the view. We are lucky that our location allows us to offer fantastic views of DC from our view rooms. I am sorry that you did not find the selection of restaurants that you were looking for. We do have some restaurants in the Pentagon Fashion Centre Mall, along with a large food court. Also on 23rd street, there is a row of restaurants of all kinds of cuisine as well as some chains. 23rd street is a stop our shuttle will make if requested.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Seattle
Reviewed January 24, 2013

So I was stuck in DC for an extra day and the airline put me up in this hotel. The hotel itself was actually pretty nice. It had a strange entrance where you had to go up a set of escalators to get to the lobby. The room was spacious. I don't recall the actual view since this was suppose to be an airport hotel. The room did seem a little dirty though. I happen to drop something by the drapes and reached over to pick it up. And there were some huge dust balls. Nasty. The bathroom was pretty big but again it didn't seem as clean as it could be. The one other thing I found a little annoying was that the toilet ran all night. I had to close the bathroom door. I tried telling the front desk person but I think she was distracted with something else. So I figured it would get fixed some day...The shuttle back to the airport left early so ended up having to wait another 15 minutes before the next one came. It was fine since I allowed plenty of time to get to the airport.

2 Thank Seattletraveler98108
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you got stuck in DC, but glad you had an opportunity to stay with us. While technically we are an airport property and offer a complimentary shuttle to Reagan Airport, the hotel is set far enough away that airport noise is not a challenge for our guests. Many of our guests enjoy that the hotel is actually more of a suburban hotel than airport.

I am sorry some dust accumulated under the drape and that the bathroom cleanliness was below your expectation. I hope you will contact me directly so we can identify the room number and have it taken care of immediately. I can understand why a running toilet would be annoying and apologize that the desk agent you spoke to did not respond properly.

The shuttles run on a schedule and should not depart early. We understand many people rely on the shuttle to depart on time and some do not leave extra time like you did. The only time the shuttle will leave early is if it is completely full, which can happen during peak travel time. I am sorry the shuttle left early, but glad it did not negatively affect your travel plan.

Thank you again for the review. I am sorry we let you down and do hope you return so we can offer you a much more positive experience. I invite you and anyone else reading my response to contact me anytime.

Pine, Colorado
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

My company books me in this hotel. I do not like it. I stayed in the North Tower room 1136.
I wrote a review a couple of months ago and the manager wanted to address the issues. To do so: please remodel.
See photos.
As a side note the restaraunt was outstanding and I do mean delicious. They accommodated my gluten free needs; no problem.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Peggy303
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry we let you down, but appreciate the pictures as they will be shown to the Director of Housekeeping and the Director of Property Operations for immediate follow up. It is very helpful that you included the room number in your review.

The ownership did recently complete a $25 million project that included updating the public areas and some of our guest rooms/suites. We are looking forward to the completion of that project next year as then all of our rooms will be brand new.

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your dining experience and we were able to meet your dietary request. Your comment will be shared with the Food & Beverage team!

Thank you again for the email and I do hope you return. Please contact me prior to arrival and I can be sure to show you a recently remodeled room so you can see the difference. The feedback on these rooms has been outstanding. I do want to point out that while your room was clearly not up to standard this is not typical. I hope the readers of this review will read the many other reviews indicating the cleanliness of the rooms (regardless of when the room was remodeled). As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Excellent customer service at this hotel, especially the bellhops. They pretty much acted as my concierge. I tried the concierge desk but she has bland and said she never ventured out (so shouldn't you have a different job?). My biggest complaint is that I had a room with 2 beds, which ha a total of 4 bloodstained pillows. Now, I didn't have to search for that's stains, I was just setting them up for sleeping and they were totally obvious. Not to mentioned the 2 hairs in the bed (also very obvious, on top of the comforter by the pillows.). The maids would really have to be completely oblivious to miss this. Last thing is that you can't adjust the air to less than 73 unless you call up an engineer. Now, it's nice that the engineer will make it so you can adjust it, but not so nice that you realize it needs adjusting when you are exhausted and about to collapse in bed, then you have to get dressed again and wait on the engineer. You guys have got to get it together.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank lalucas84
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you mentioning the customer service as we do try hard to exceed all of our guests needs and will be sure to pass on your comment to the bell staff. My apologies that the concierge was not able to answer your inquiries. This is surprising as we have had the same concierge for quite some time. She typically gets praise for being helpful and offering great suggestions. This was obviously not your experience and I am sorry about that as I can understand why this would be frustrating. It is nice to read that the bellman were able to assist you further.

The Director of Housekeeping will most definitely follow up on the stained pillows. That should never occur and is unacceptable. I really am baffled as to how this happened as having a blood stained pillow is not something that typically occurs let alone four of them. I do hope readers of this review will see the many other recent comments that speak of clean rooms to know this is most definitely an isolated incident. The Director of Housekeeping will also follow up with his staff about the hairs as again, this should not occur. I do hope you will follow up with me directly so I can identify the room number you stayed in as then we can follow up with the housekeeper that cleaned the room.

Our thermostats are set to go as low as 68 degrees. I am glad the engineer fixed your thermostat, but apologize that this occurred. I can understand the frustration of having to wait on an engineer to lower the temperature.

Thank you again for your review and once again I apologize for the challenges you experienced. Again, I do hope you and other readers will read the other reviews to know that your experience is not typical of a guest stay. I also hope you will return so we can show this to you by exceeding your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had had a few negative encounters with this property's corporate cousin, the Embassy Suites a few blocks away - and had finally decided to take my DC business elsewhere. After speaking to a member of management, I was persuaded to try the Doubletree instead.
Glad I did. I am a stickler for customer service, and they have it - complete with signs all over the common areas encouraging the guests to call if something is amiss. There was no need, they were very pleasant - to a person.
The room, although it didn't have a view, was clean, aesthetically appealing, of ample size and very comfortable. The lighting (a new pet peeve of mine) was not harsh, and the switches properly located.
Ok - I have sung the praises. What would I change? Well, not much really, the service to the metro is nice. Although if you are walking, Pentagon Station is closer than Pentagon City (the mall). As a Diamond, I had to pay $5 to upgrade from the continental breakfast to the buffet. Annoying, but understandable.
As far as layout - it's interesting, the lobby is on the second floor. When you enter at the port cochere, there is a foyer with an escalator to the lobby, but also elevators which can be taken directly to the guest-room floors. Nice.
I hope to go back.

Room Tip: Clearly, some of the rooms have spectacular views of DC, the Potomac and the Pentagon. I hope to get...
1 Thank Boeing767
Thank you for the review and I really like the title you created. I am glad you contacted me prior to your stay so we could be sure to meet all of your needs. It is nice of you to mention the staff's willingness to help ad do what it takes to offer a positive experience. While I am sorry you had challenges at the Embassy Suites, I am glad we could offer you a different experience.

We do have rooms that offer a view in the North Tower. However our suites, which I am glad to read you enjoyed, are located in our South Tower. Perhaps when you return you will enjoy a view room.

The Pentagon Station and the Pentagon City Metro Station are about the same distance, but you are correct that both are very close (7-10 minute walk). We do offer a complimentary shuttle to the Pentagon City station and many of our guests enjoy having the option of walking or taking the shuttle.

The HHonors amenities are set through the HHonors program and not at the hotel level. Currently, the amenity offered is complimentary continental breakfast and in an effort to remain consistent Hilton Worldwide has asked all hotels to strictly follow the program. However we recognize some people want more than a continental breakfast which is why we offer the full buffet for only a $5 upgrade. I can understand why it may seem annoying to have this charge, but I appreciate your understanding.

Raleigh
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I spent two nights here on business. They offer free shuttle service from the Reagan Airport, which is very convenient. Jeanne at the reception desk was excellent. I arrived quite early - 8:30 a.m. I knew my room wouldn't be ready. Jeanne "put a rush on it" with Housekeeping and asked me to follow-up with her at 11:00 a.m. No problem - I waited in the lobby and did work; there is free WiFi in the lobby. By 10:00 a.m., she approached me and let me know my room was ready. All staff that I had contact with were friendly and helpful. My room was very nice - not much of a view, but it was clean and the bed was very comfy. The shower was strong and the towels were fluffy. Restaurants and shopping are within walking distance. Great place to stay in Arlington.

1 Thank Jeana P
Thank you for your review. The complimentary shuttle does make it very convenient and can be a huge cost saver as a rental car is not needed nor is taxi service. I appreciate you recognizing Jeanne and will be sure the team reads that comment so we too can thank her for her efforts. We do try to accommodate early check in requests, but it is based on the availability of clean rooms/suites. I am happy to read that Jeanne was able to help make your wait a short one.

We do have many rooms with a view so if this is important to you, please be sure to book this room type. I am glad to read that you found the room to be comfortable and had a positive experience.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Battle Ground WA
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for business meetings, and found it very nice! Staff were exceptional, rooms were clean, updated, quiet, and the room service was fantastic. Overall had a great stay, and would recommend this to anyone in the area there for business or pleasure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had such a positive experience. I appreciate your comment on the staff and room service experience and will be sure it is shown to the team.

Thank you again for the review and for the recommendation. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.