“Blood stained pillows”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Excellent customer service at this hotel, especially the bellhops. They pretty much acted as my concierge. I tried the concierge desk but she has bland and said she never ventured out (so shouldn't you have a different job?). My biggest complaint is that I had a room with 2 beds, which ha a total of 4 bloodstained pillows. Now, I didn't have to search for that's stains, I was just setting them up for sleeping and they were totally obvious. Not to mentioned the 2 hairs in the bed (also very obvious, on top of the comforter by the pillows.). The maids would really have to be completely oblivious to miss this. Last thing is that you can't adjust the air to less than 73 unless you call up an engineer. Now, it's nice that the engineer will make it so you can adjust it, but not so nice that you realize it needs adjusting when you are exhausted and about to collapse in bed, then you have to get dressed again and wait on the engineer. You guys have got to get it together.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank lalucas84
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your review. I appreciate you mentioning the customer service as we do try hard to exceed all of our guests needs and will be sure to pass on your comment to the bell staff. My apologies that the concierge was not able to answer your inquiries. This is surprising as we have had the same concierge for quite some time. She typically gets praise for being helpful and offering great suggestions. This was obviously not your experience and I am sorry about that as I can understand why this would be frustrating. It is nice to read that the bellman were able to assist you further.

The Director of Housekeeping will most definitely follow up on the stained pillows. That should never occur and is unacceptable. I really am baffled as to how this happened as having a blood stained pillow is not something that typically occurs let alone four of them. I do hope readers of this review will see the many other recent comments that speak of clean rooms to know this is most definitely an isolated incident. The Director of Housekeeping will also follow up with his staff about the hairs as again, this should not occur. I do hope you will follow up with me directly so I can identify the room number you stayed in as then we can follow up with the housekeeper that cleaned the room.

Our thermostats are set to go as low as 68 degrees. I am glad the engineer fixed your thermostat, but apologize that this occurred. I can understand the frustration of having to wait on an engineer to lower the temperature.

Thank you again for your review and once again I apologize for the challenges you experienced. Again, I do hope you and other readers will read the other reviews to know that your experience is not typical of a guest stay. I also hope you will return so we can show this to you by exceeding your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,966)

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had had a few negative encounters with this property's corporate cousin, the Embassy Suites a few blocks away - and had finally decided to take my DC business elsewhere. After speaking to a member of management, I was persuaded to try the Doubletree instead.
Glad I did. I am a stickler for customer service, and they have it - complete with signs all over the common areas encouraging the guests to call if something is amiss. There was no need, they were very pleasant - to a person.
The room, although it didn't have a view, was clean, aesthetically appealing, of ample size and very comfortable. The lighting (a new pet peeve of mine) was not harsh, and the switches properly located.
Ok - I have sung the praises. What would I change? Well, not much really, the service to the metro is nice. Although if you are walking, Pentagon Station is closer than Pentagon City (the mall). As a Diamond, I had to pay $5 to upgrade from the continental breakfast to the buffet. Annoying, but understandable.
As far as layout - it's interesting, the lobby is on the second floor. When you enter at the port cochere, there is a foyer with an escalator to the lobby, but also elevators which can be taken directly to the guest-room floors. Nice.
I hope to go back.

Room Tip: Clearly, some of the rooms have spectacular views of DC, the Potomac and the Pentagon. I hope to get...
1  Thank Boeing767

Thank you for the review and I really like the title you created. I am glad you contacted me prior to your stay so we could be sure to meet all of your needs. It is nice of you to mention the staff's willingness to help ad do what it takes to offer a positive experience. While I am sorry you had challenges at the Embassy Suites, I am glad we could offer you a different experience.

We do have rooms that offer a view in the North Tower. However our suites, which I am glad to read you enjoyed, are located in our South Tower. Perhaps when you return you will enjoy a view room.

The Pentagon Station and the Pentagon City Metro Station are about the same distance, but you are correct that both are very close (7-10 minute walk). We do offer a complimentary shuttle to the Pentagon City station and many of our guests enjoy having the option of walking or taking the shuttle.

The HHonors amenities are set through the HHonors program and not at the hotel level. Currently, the amenity offered is complimentary continental breakfast and in an effort to remain consistent Hilton Worldwide has asked all hotels to strictly follow the program. However we recognize some people want more than a continental breakfast which is why we offer the full buffet for only a $5 upgrade. I can understand why it may seem annoying to have this charge, but I appreciate your understanding.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I spent two nights here on business. They offer free shuttle service from the Reagan Airport, which is very convenient. Jeanne at the reception desk was excellent. I arrived quite early - 8:30 a.m. I knew my room wouldn't be ready. Jeanne "put a rush on it" with Housekeeping and asked me to follow-up with her at 11:00 a.m. No problem - I waited in the lobby and did work; there is free WiFi in the lobby. By 10:00 a.m., she approached me and let me know my room was ready. All staff that I had contact with were friendly and helpful. My room was very nice - not much of a view, but it was clean and the bed was very comfy. The shower was strong and the towels were fluffy. Restaurants and shopping are within walking distance. Great place to stay in Arlington.

1  Thank Jeana P

Thank you for your review. The complimentary shuttle does make it very convenient and can be a huge cost saver as a rental car is not needed nor is taxi service. I appreciate you recognizing Jeanne and will be sure the team reads that comment so we too can thank her for her efforts. We do try to accommodate early check in requests, but it is based on the availability of clean rooms/suites. I am happy to read that Jeanne was able to help make your wait a short one.

We do have many rooms with a view so if this is important to you, please be sure to book this room type. I am glad to read that you found the room to be comfortable and had a positive experience.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for business meetings, and found it very nice! Staff were exceptional, rooms were clean, updated, quiet, and the room service was fantastic. Overall had a great stay, and would recommend this to anyone in the area there for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had such a positive experience. I appreciate your comment on the staff and room service experience and will be sure it is shown to the team.

Thank you again for the review and for the recommendation. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Have been to this hotel multiple times over several year-span. The remodeling that had hotel is disarray last time was mostly finished and everything looked great! Room faced DC so had a nice view this time. Staff friendly and sought ways to help. Very convenient airport shuttle and also shuttle to metro at Pentagon City (alas, no time to shop this trip!). A good value that is still close enough to get around easily.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing DC have a great view of Capitol and Washington Monument
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. Yes, it was a challenge to get through the renovation process, but the end result has made it worth it. Many repeat guests that experienced the pre-renovation, during renovation, and post -renovation product have agreed with you that the change is significantly positive.

I appreciate you mentioning the staff as we are working hard to exceed each of our guests' expectations. That is fantastic that you got to experience a view room. The location of this hotel allows us to have the best views of Washington DC of any area hotel. I hope you also made it up to the Skydome to enjoy the panoramic view offered there.

The shuttle to the Metro is a very useful amenity offered to our guests; especially in tough weather. However many of our guests enjoy the short walk to the Metro & Mall (7-10 minutes), but it is nice for them to have the option.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our room was clean. The staff was very nice. The location is good. The walk to the Pentagon City metro station about .3 mile. Rates were very good. The parking lot was a little crazy, and very tight. Apparently they rent the parking lot for long term parking and it was quite full.

Stayed: December 2012
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for your review. It is great to read that you had such an enjoyable experience. Over the holiday timeframe when the hotel is slower, the company that runs the garage does sell "park n fly" reservations for those that want to park at the hotel for cheaper than it is at the airport while they are out of town. However, when the hotel is busier this package is available on a much more limited basis so our guests have plenty of parking available.

I am happy to read you found your room to your liking and appreciate you commenting on how clean it was. Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed for two nights in December. I had contacted the hotel before I left the UK to see if one of our rooms could be upgraded to a Washington View room as my neice was celebrating her 21st birthday. The hotel very kindly not only upgraded her but also myself and my husband. They then went even further and gave us a free breakfast each as well. This was a very kind gesture which we are very grateful for.

The hotel itself was very clear and our rooms were lovely and (after having just stayed in NYC) very roomy. The location was great as it was a short walk (however there was a shuttle bus) to the mall and the metro. The prices also within the hotel were not as expensive as I would have thought. The added bonus of a hot cookie when you check in is lovely.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and did everything they could to make our stay comfortable and happy.

All in all we loved our stay here and would certainly recommend it to others and are looking forward to going back again.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Washington View Rooms as the view is outstanding.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. I appreciate you contacting me prior to your arrival as I do enjoy hearing from people that read my responses. We are so glad we had the opportunity to assist in making your neice's birthday a special memory.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your rooms and found them spacious. The option of walking (7-10 minutes) or taking the shuttle to the Metro/Mall is something our guests really like having. So many are anxious to walk in the morning, but then too tired from a long day of sight-seeing and take advantage of the shuttle in the afternoon.

The cookie is a nice way to be welcomed to the hotel. Thank you again for the review and for the great recommendation. We hope you return so we can continue to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.