“Perfect location for visits to Pentagon”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Perfect location for visits to Pentagon”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Good location, service, and rooms. Parking convenient and reasonable for DC area. Chose to stay here and walk to the Army 10 Miler race. Very convenient, pleasant staff and nice room. Lobby set up with several small group seating areas, bar, full og light and color are very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is great to read that you had such a pleasant visit. I hope the race went well for you. The new look of our lobby has been very well received by our guests as it offers plenty of seating and a relaxing atmosphere to mingle with family, friends, and colleagues.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The staff (Omer) was very friendly and very accommodating, I would definitely stay here again. I think that individuals like him should be in a supervisory roles. As far as the Hotel, it looks amazing and well maintained. From the price point, it is a good deal!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I am happy to read that you had a positive experience. We agree that Omer is a fantastic employee. I will be sure he sees this comment as does the entire staff so he can be properly recognized for his efforts.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Pine, Colorado
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Dirty. Nasty. Needs to be updated. They are upgrading their rooms according to signs in the hallway, but I certainly did not see signs of progression. Mold, leaky clogged tub. Stained sticky carpet in room. Stained sheets, janky wallpaper. Dirty light switches. Dirty dirty. Stained dirty carpet in hallway. Enough said. Work puts me here, and for that, I curse the travel planner at corporate.
The stAff is friendly and helpful but what can they do with his place. Yuk.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Peggy303
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you left with a negative impression of the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. I hope you will contact me directly so I can identify the room you stayed in. Our Director of Housekeeping would really like to investigate this further and follow up with the housekeeper that cleans the room. While I am very sorry you had a poor experience, I do hope readers of this review will read the many other reviews to realize that your stay experience is not typical as the large majority of our guests leave happy and wanting to return.

Thank you for your review and I appreciate the nice comment on the staff. As I mentioned, I hope you contact me directly about this stay or prior to your next stay so we can be sure to improve your impression of the hotel. Also, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The staff overall was very accommodating, clean hotels and fast service. The person I spoke to as I checked-in, however, was very rude. I specifically remembered her name as well, Jeanne. I'm not sure as to why people like her still working but I have noticed her to be very pleasant to males in uniform.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Juicyjene
Thank you for your review. While I am happy to read your positive comments about the overall friendliness of the staff, I am sorry that you had a poor check in experience. Jeanne is a long time staff member that typically receives great comments from our desk. It is rare that guests leave with a negative perception of her, but I am sorry this was the case for you. Please contact me directly so I can find out the details of your interaction with Jeanne and that will enable us to properly follow up with her. Jeanne will be shown your comment and I know she will work hard to ensure that if you return you will leave with a much improved impression of her service.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me directly.

Salem, Virginia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

OK, I know it's DC...but for what you get it is not worth the price, we payed $300. The ceilings were popcorn and there was a big patch. The most disturbing thing was the mold around the edges of the ceiling....nasty. There was a BIG dehumidifier that was loud and running, should have been a clue, huh? The bathroom was OK, but cramped. The bed were comfortable and nice big TV, but hardly many channels. We were there because of the army 10-miler at the Pentagon. Well we asked the desk was it in walking distance and they suggested that we take their shuttle to Pentagon City and the train to the Pentagon.....the Pentagon was just a two block walk....needless to say the front desk was NOT helpful. We called the front desk for a refrig (which was free surprisingly) and they brought us a cot. Also, don't expect to check in until check in time. We got there at 12:30 and check in was 3:00 and so we waited, waited, waited. Of course, they have you when you are waiting...a simple soda was $3.00 and the food was very pricey...so we didn't eat there, so eat before you go. Don't bring a big van (like we did) because the parking garage turn to get in is VERY TIGHT. Getting out is tighter...also even the front desk told us to keep the card to get out of the garage...well you also needed your receipt which I had torn up before we went to the car...so don't forget the receipt!! They do allow you to park there on check out day until 4 PM, so that was nice and they extended our check out time until 1 PM. If you willing to bring extra money and you aren't worried about mold and you want to be close to the Pentagon and you drive a small car and you can investigate information about DC for yourself, this is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ricki M
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and hope you will follow up with me directly so I can obtain more information to allow us to follow up on this further.

The Director of Property Operations would like to address your concerns with the room and once you contact us with the room number, he will do so. I am very sorry about the condition of the room as this is not acceptable. I do want to point out that the machine in your room was not a dehumidifier and was not there because of any mold issue. The machine is an air purifier which helps people with allergies, especially dust allergies. We have many PURE rooms that offer these machines and so many of our guests enjoy the air quality on these rooms.

I am glad to read that you found the beds to be comfortable. We welcome any suggestions you may have for television channels you would like to see. We change the selection from time to time and use guest suggestions/feedback to help make the decision on which channels to have available. I am very surprised to read that any desk agent would recommend the shuttle and Metro to the Pentagon being it is visible from our hotel. I can understand why this would be frustrating to you and the Director of Front Office will be following up with her staff to remind them how close the Pentagon is.

We do have many rooms with refrigerators in them, but have some available upon request for rooms without refrigerators in them. I am glad you were able to get one. We offer early check in to many guests everyday. Check in time is at 3pm and when available we are happy to check guests in early. However, there are times, like in a sold out situation, that early check ins can not be accommodated. It is not because we do not want to offer this, it is based on room availability. I am sorry we could not meet your early check in request.

We do offer outside parking for oversized vehicles. I am unsure what van you drive, but I also drive a Toyota Sienna and do not have a problem navigating through the garage. Many of our guests have SUV's and minivans that are parked in the garage each day. I am sorry that you found the garage to be a tight fit for your vehicle. Exiting the garage is used with your room key, but if you do not have that and are departing then the receipt can be helpful to show the attendant you paid. I recommend keeping your room key until departure and there is a drop box at the garage exit to deposit the key when leaving after check out. The Director of Front Office will also follow up with her staff to remind them to ask guests that drive to keep their key so exiting the garage is not a problem.

I do hope the readers of this review will also read the many other recent reviews that show positive stay experiences. Thank you again for the review and once again I am sorry we let you down. I do hope you will contact me directly. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

California
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was my first stay at the hotel. I used the late night airport shuttle and was pleasantly surprised when the driver (Israel) offered me bottled water as part of the hotel's hospitality. Isreal was very helpful and upon learning that it's my first stay at the hotel he helped me with lugagge and even escorted me up to the second floor lobby/check-in counter. Check-in was quick and easy. The clerk was courteous and offered me a cookie, which BTW was delicious :) My room was easy to find and had a spectacular view of Washington. There was a greeting message from the manager waiting for me on voicemail which was a nice touch. The room itself was comfortable, but either not properly cleaned, or was cleaned prior to the previous guest checking out. I noticed soap scum and residue on the bathroom fixture and sink counter. Also noticed cookie crumbs on the table. Air conditioning was preset at 75 degrees (but felt cooler) and ok for about an hour, then it started emitting an annoying high-pitch hum, the only way for it to go away was to keep turning the temp down, unfortunantely this kept me up almost all night. Since I was staying for the night only, I decided to put up with it than change rooms. Then at about 7:30am Monday morning I woke up to high-pitch drilling and chain-sawing somewhere under my room. Sigh... The sound was so annoying it was driving me nuts!!! I had to turn on the TV to drown out the sound, then promptly got ready to check-out.

When I went to settle the bill I mentioned the air conditioning and the remodeling, but was told that there was no work done being done on my floor or under it. Oh well, I really wanted to give this property 5 stars because the service shuttle/check-in was so courteous and the view was spectacular and normally would have probably given it 2 stars based on house-keeping, and the noise from the air con and remodeling, but gave it a 3 because my impression was that the management and certain staff (Israel and check-in clerk for example) made an effort to make me feel welcome and comfortable, but there is still room for improvement. I will give this hotel another try on my next trip to DC, hopefully the next experience will be perfect.

Room Tip: Choose room facing Washington for spectacular view of monument and Capital.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read about the great customer service that Israel provided you. It seems to have been an excellent way to start your stay experience. I will be sure to pass on your comment to the team so he can be properly recognized.

After waiting in security lines at the airport and waiting in line to board/deboard the plane, I am sure that having a quick and efficient check in experience was appreciated. We try to offer all of our guests this experience and I agree that the cookies are delicious. Our view rooms are quite popular and it is great to read that you enjoyed the spectacular view. I am very sorry that the room was not cleaned up to your or our expectations and the air conditioning was not operating properly. I do hope you will contact me directly so I can find out more information on the room number and offer a personal apology to you. The Director of Housekeeping and the Director of Property Operations would really like to follow up on this further. While offering great service is something we are proud of, our goal is to also offer a good night's sleep and I am sorry we failed to offer this to you.

The drilling you heard was most likely from a nearby construction site. Any work we do on property that has noise does not start that early. We understand this would be a disturbance to our guests and therefore try to contain any noisy projects to hours when the majority of our guests are out of the hotel. While there is a construction site near the airport, this is the first that I have heard of the noise disturbing a guest. While we have no control over when the work starts, I am sorry you were inconvenienced by this. Being we have not had any other complaints on this noise, I am hoping it was an isolated incident.

Thank you for the review and I am very happy to read that you will be returning. Please contact me prior to arrival so i can ensure we earn a 5 rating from you. We will work hard to exceed your expectations. Once again, I am sorry for the challenges you experienced, but glad you recognized that we do care and want to offer top level service to our guests. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was my second stay at this Double Tree, and it was very nice. I attended for training at the Pentagon, so this was a perfect location for me. The front desk area gets quite busy during check-in time, but everyone is very courteous.
I had e-mailed with Mr. Feldman, one of the managers, prior to my trip and let him know some of my suggestions with a previous visit, so when I arrived, I had a truly wonderful room and view. The room was spacious, clean and situated a ways from the elevators, so it was quiet. It was perfect for my stay.

The breakfast each morning was wonderful. I particularly appreciated the healthier options, such as diced fruit and oatmeal. The staff was kind and offered me to-go cups of coffee each morning.

I attempted to use the gym area, which was good-sized and had great equipment, but it was summer and the room is not very cool. This may not be a problem for most, since you're there to sweat anyway, but my visit was on 100+ degree days and it was definitely hot in there.

My favorite thing about this particular Doubletree is the staff. If you have a problem, please make them aware of it and they will bend over backwards to assist you. Thanks again, Mr. Feldman!

Room Tip: Stay in the rennovated tower (South Tower) for the nicer rooms; stay in the North tower if you prefe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JustStace
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for the review and the kind words. I appreciate you contacting me prior to your arrival as I really enjoy hearing from people that read my responses. You are correct, we appreciate guests letting us know when something has gone wrong so we can work hard to correct the challenge and offer a positive stay experience. We understand that often times it is not the initial challenge that is remembered, but the response of the staff when we were informed. Of course, we work hard to do our best to ensure there are no guest challenges and will continue to do so.

I am glad to read you enjoyed your accommodations and found it to exceed your expectations. We try to offer a variety of items on our breakfast menu & buffet so each guest has something to enjoy. I am happy to read that you had an enjoyable breakfast experience. Unfortunately, we did have an air conditioning challenge in the fitness room for one week in the summer. It has been corrected and our guests find the room to be a very comfortable temperature. I hope you were still able to have a good workout and apologize that the air conditioning unit in the gym was not working properly during your visit.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon for a 3rd visit. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.