“Second stay- Great option near the Pentagon”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Hampton, Virginia
“Second stay- Great option near the Pentagon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was my second stay at this Double Tree, and it was very nice. I attended for training at the Pentagon, so this was a perfect location for me. The front desk area gets quite busy during check-in time, but everyone is very courteous.
I had e-mailed with Mr. Feldman, one of the managers, prior to my trip and let him know some of my suggestions with a previous visit, so when I arrived, I had a truly wonderful room and view. The room was spacious, clean and situated a ways from the elevators, so it was quiet. It was perfect for my stay.

The breakfast each morning was wonderful. I particularly appreciated the healthier options, such as diced fruit and oatmeal. The staff was kind and offered me to-go cups of coffee each morning.

I attempted to use the gym area, which was good-sized and had great equipment, but it was summer and the room is not very cool. This may not be a problem for most, since you're there to sweat anyway, but my visit was on 100+ degree days and it was definitely hot in there.

My favorite thing about this particular Doubletree is the staff. If you have a problem, please make them aware of it and they will bend over backwards to assist you. Thanks again, Mr. Feldman!

Room Tip: Stay in the rennovated tower (South Tower) for the nicer rooms; stay in the North tower if you prefe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JustStace
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for the review and the kind words. I appreciate you contacting me prior to your arrival as I really enjoy hearing from people that read my responses. You are correct, we appreciate guests letting us know when something has gone wrong so we can work hard to correct the challenge and offer a positive stay experience. We understand that often times it is not the initial challenge that is remembered, but the response of the staff when we were informed. Of course, we work hard to do our best to ensure there are no guest challenges and will continue to do so.

I am glad to read you enjoyed your accommodations and found it to exceed your expectations. We try to offer a variety of items on our breakfast menu & buffet so each guest has something to enjoy. I am happy to read that you had an enjoyable breakfast experience. Unfortunately, we did have an air conditioning challenge in the fitness room for one week in the summer. It has been corrected and our guests find the room to be a very comfortable temperature. I hope you were still able to have a good workout and apologize that the air conditioning unit in the gym was not working properly during your visit.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon for a 3rd visit. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cardiff, Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel was booked as part of a surprise birthday trip to Washington DC. Taking the Washington Flyer from the airport to West Falls Church, we got the Metro, using the 7 day pass. After one change, we got off at Pentagon Mall and reached the hotel after a short walk. It is situated close to shops,restaurants and a rail station if you want to go further afield. The area seemed safe and attractive. Kevin FELDMAN arranged an upgraded room, cookies and a couple of other goodies, which was a nice touch and appreciated. Breakfast in the hotel was a hit and miss affair, one waitress AXI was excellent, always friendly and smiling. The other male
waiters were poor in comparison. There was a good choice for breakfast, with the usual American items, but also fresh croissants and pastries,fruit and yoghurt. The pool was okay but you had to change in a toilet, so not too great there. Great views over Washington and its proximity to the metro was a huge bonus. On our last day, we went to Alexandria and realised
that we had missed out on some nice restaurants,coffee shops and bars - go there( only 2 stops on the Metro) All in all we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The beds were comfortable and rooms were clean and well appointed. One night, the suite next to us had a party that went on until 0400. Front desk staff sent up Security 3 times, but it still went on. So thank you delegates of the Kenyan Embassy conference. Apart from that we slept well. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel as being a great base to explore Washington and its evirons. Crystal City is a nice area with a good mall and some great restaurants, all within walking distance of the hotel and for those flying into National Airport, it is just one or two metro stops away or the hotel has a shuttle. So, a big thank you to the Doubletree for a fantastic visit to Washington.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your review. I appreciate the kind words and was happy you contacted me prior to your arrival so we could help to make the birthday surprise even more special. Axi is a fantastic server who often receives praise from our guests and I will be sure your comment is shared with her. I am sorry that you did not find the other servers to be just as good. The breakfast team generally receives positive comments from our guests. No doubt, they will step up their game to be just a great as Axi is. I agree, the options offered on the buffet are plentiful, which is great to guests staying multiple days as it offers the option to have different items each morning.

The ease of getting to the Metro is a big convenience to our guests as is having the option of walking to the station (3 blocks; 7-10 minutes) or taking the complimentary shuttle. There is a lot to do in Alexandria. I am sorry you were not aware, but it is a good reason to come back. Many guests enjoy our location as it is central to both DC and Alexandria.

I am sorry there was a party in the room next to you. The Director of Security will follow up with his team as to what happened. Typically security will only give one warning about noise complaints prior to evicting guests. However, if on the first call there are too many people in the room/suite Security will only allow the registered occupants to remain. I can understand why this was a disturbance and again apologize for the poor night's sleep.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. It is nice to read that we enhanced your special visit to Washington DC. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Happy Travels -

Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Staying here now and the room is decent quality. Bathroom is a little shabby with some paint bubbling and generally poor quality of repair (e.g. fire sprinkler doesn't fit into the ceiling hole). Check-in was OK - waited about 10 minutes but actual check in went quickly. No letter welcoming me as an HHonors member so that was interesting. Beds are comfortable and roomy. Room service is spendy but good quality and service.

Also, paid a government rate that included in-room internet and breakfast buffet. Internet code given was not yet active and no one answered the 'Careline' (evidently they didn't care). When I finally got a hold of someone, they gave me the prior weeks code and everything worked fine. Breakfast voucher has breakfast hours from 0630, but found out it opens at 0600. Not a huge deal, but I have been up at 0300 and famished because of jet lag. Would have been nice to get down there a half hour earlier.

This morning I went down at 0600 and it was not yet opened. Took another 10 minutes and then they didn't have several items out yet. Living in Japan and use to good customer service, this stay (so far), is indicative of how small things matter...Bottom line - Management needs to pay better attention.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I am sorry the condition of the room is lacking and hope you will contact me directly so we can identify the room you are in. The Director of Property Operations has a great preventative maintenance plan to stay ahead of these types of challenges, but will be happy to go to this room to correct the challenges.

In an effort to be green, we listened to our many HHonors members that asked us not to offer the welcome letter as they are typically not read and many felt it was a waste of paper. I am sorry that you were expecting this. It is nice to read you found your bed to be comfortable and had a positive room service experience.

We absolutely care, but I can understand why you would think otherwise if the CAREline was not answered. it is staffed 24 hours day so this should not have been the case. My apologies that this occurred. The Internet code is changed weekly, but I am sorry there was a glitch that caused last week's code to be active. I appreciate you alerting me to the incorrect time being on the breakfast voucher. This will be corrected so our guests have the correct information. We give out so many vouchers and this is the first time I have heard about the time being incorrect. It may have been isolated to the batch your coupon was taken from and I am sorry about that. The Director of Food & Beverage will follow up with the staff to see why there was a delay. We know many of our guests eat early and try to be ready to go at 6am.

Thank you again for the review and I am sorry that you experienced the challenges you mentioned. We take comments very seriously and will use the feedback to help us improve. I do hope you will contact me directly so we can make it up to you and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

The Colony, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We recently returned from our first visit to Washington D.C. The Double Tree by Hilton Hotel is the perfect hotel to stay for several reasons. The hotel provides a shuttle to the Pentagon City Mall where you can conveniently catch any number of buses to tour the monuments, Capital and White House. The hotel is just blocks from the Pentagon, very reasonably priced and the Sky Dome bar and restaurant at the top of the hotel provides an excellent view of Washington D.C. as it revolves slowly while you enjoy your cocktail and/or meal.

The hotel is clean, beds are comfortable, and the staff is friendlly and informative!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pat O
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had such a fantastic experience and in my unbiased opinion, I agree that the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City is the perfect place to stay for tourists of the DC area.

I am glad that you took advantage of the shuttle to the Pentagon City Fashion Mall/ Metro Station. Our guests enjoy having the option to enjoy the complimentary shuttle or walking the 3 blocks (7-10 minute walk). We do offer many deals to fit all different needs and price points. Be sure to look at the hotel website as you can not find a better rate for the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City at other booking websites that list our hotel than you will on the hotel website. The Skydome is a very unique experience that our guests can enjoy. I recommend all guests go up there as there is not a better view of the Washington DC area, Reagan Airport, the Potomac River, and so much more.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. I hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

istanbul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

we stayed at this hotel in august 2012 for our visit to the DC area. it was easy to spot from the highway but not extremely easy to find by car. we parked the car in the hotel and took the metro from the close fashion city mall to get to our DC destinations- mainly the museums on our first day, but in our other days, we drove to the city and was able to find parking spots easily around the monuments. The room was pleasant, we had wi-fi which is absolutely necessary. it was not a luxurious hotel, but it was sufficient for our needs. the reception staff was very friendly, but they still made a mistake with the bill, but was sorted out relatively quickly. breakfast was not great so we only had breakfast in the hotel only once. we ordered room service which was quick and good. i am not sure if i would stay again here for DC as there were other hotels in the centre for a similar price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am glad you found our location convenient to either take the Metro or drive to the many nearby attractions. You picked a great week to come, but do want to let readers know that finding parking spots easily in DC is not the norm; especially near the monuments. I respectively disagree with the reviewer that a car is needed, as the large majority of our guests that come to tour DC don't have a car or leave it parked in the garage for their entire stay. However, it is nice that this reviewer did not have a challenge finding a spot as most people know how frustrating that can be.

I am glad you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. My apologies for the issue with the bill being incorrect, but glad it was fixed quickly. Please contact me directly to let me know about your breakfast experience. The Director of Food & Beverage is very interested in guest feedback as he often uses it to make improvements. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room service breakfast.

August happens to be one of the slower months in the DC area, so you may have been able to find similar prices are comparable hotels in the District, but that is not always the case in other months. Also, keep in mind for those that do drive, the parking charges in DC are typically much more than at the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City.

Thank you for the review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon and al always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I've never had such personalized service as that by Kevin Feldman. Thanks, Kevin! He answered all my questions about the renovated rooms and helped me get a renovated room even though I booked (a great deal) with Priceline.

Our standard double renovated room was very comfortable with 4 feather pillows per bed (no need to ask for more) and Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries (yay!). I also enjoyed the complimentary cookies :-) We were in a room facing the other wing but we could see some part of the Pentagon and the Lincoln Memorial (I think).

The pool was tiny (I did a few circles around then gave up) and there was no jacuzzi or sauna which my mom was really hoping for. If I'd known it was that small, I wouldn't have bothered. It was also in the other wing and I had to go down to the lobby, walk across to the other elevator, then go up to the pool. The room doesn't come with robes and I didn't want to get my clothes wet so I went in my towel. It was a bit embarassing :-p

Location was excellent as it was just across the bridge from the National Mall. Great base for exploring DC. I also liked the auto-checkout, using room cards for the carpark and that there's a card drop-box at the carpark exit. Really well thought out.

PS: Exterior renovation was supposed to be on while we were there but we didn't even notice it so no worries about noise levels.

Room Tip: South Tower rooms are renovated while Pure Rooms (unrenovated) and pool are in North Tower. North-fa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for the review. I appreciate the thanks and it is my pleasure. I sincerely enjoy getting emails or calls from people that read my responses and am glad to help in any way. I do want to note that while many hotels look down upon guests that book through discount websites, we do not. Hotels pre-approve the prices that any website puts out there to sell, so we wonder why would they then begrudge any guest that takes advantage of the great deal? Regardless of the method of booking, we want every guest to have a fantastic hotel experience and I am so glad to read that you did.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room. While the rooms that have not yet been renovated are still very nice, everyone that has stayed in a renovated room have given us great comments on how much they enjoy the new look.

While our pool is not thel largest, many guests enjoy relaxing in it and also like the views that can be seen from the windows as the pool sits on the 14th floor. I am sorry that it was too small for you to enjoy. The pool area does have bathrooms for guests that would like to get changed closer to the pool, but no need to be embarrassed as most hotels have people walking to/from the pool in a suit & towel.

I agree, the location is so convenient for touring DC. Why pay higher prices to stay in the city when it is just as convenient to get to most of the major attractions from our hotel as it is from hotels in the District? We try to keep all noise making projects contained in the day hours when most guests are out of the hotel. Most guests have not even noticed the exterior work, which is great.

Thank you for the review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Bellevue, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel offered one of the top experiences of my many trips to the DC area. The staff is excellent. They ensure all of your needs are met from the check-in until departure. I've never been welcomed more times to a hotel. The breakfast staff is worth being singled out. They made you feel at home and you will have anything and everything needed to start your day off right. This includes a joke or two. As mentioned in other reviews, the restaurant/bar on the top floor of the north tower is worth a visit. View is outstanding, prices are comparable to other hotels in the area (suggest getting there during Happy Hour) and again, the staff was great. The rooms were comfortable, well maintained, and offered a pleasant place to relax and sleep. Internet was excellent for wireless in such a large structure. It is also nice that the gift shop is open till 11 pm. Munchies are a little expensive, but available. The walk to the Pentagon is not long but may be a problem during inclement weather. The shuttles to Reagan and Pentagon City Mall run on time, drivers were pleasant and they make sure you know their time table before you leave the bus. You will be very pleased with a stay at this location. I will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Wow, It is so nice to read that out of your many trips to DC that you rate the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City at the top of your hotel list. I appreciate you mentioning the staff as we work very hard to make each guest feel welcome and each interaction with an employee to be a positive one.

Your comments will be shown to the Cafe staff and I agree, a good joke with a fine breakfast is an excellent way to start the day. I am so glad you visited the Skydome and found it to be as fantastic as other reviewers have mentioned. It is recommended to all of our guests that they experience the Skydome as it is truly a unique experience. Great tip on encouraging people to go at happy hour as there are some discounted prices to take advantage of.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room and found it comfortable. The Cafe Go is a nice convenience for a quick bite to eat and many of our guests appreciate that it is open until 11pm. You are correct, as with any area that has inclement weather, it makes walking a little more difficult. However, the complimentary shuttle to the Metro makes it much easier to get around.

Thank you again for the review and for the recommendation. We look forward to your return and will work just as hard to exceed your expectations.