“Nice hotel with good views...”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We recently stayed here for a night, requested a room with a good view and got one with a view of the DC area and Pentagon in the North tower. Staff were nice. We didn't dine here as we felt it to be a bit pricy - but did have a drink and desert there. The desert (Tiramisu and cheesecake) weren't that great. Internet is only available for a fee in the room - but is available in the lobby area - which is one whole floor - pretty nice with the bar, cafe etc. and lots of room to relax. Parking is a bit steep in the hotel at $25.00 per 24hours - but I suggest driving around the block once to look for 12 hour parking and/or free weekend meters especially if it is in the evening or weekends. We found parking next to the Verizon building behind the hotel.

Room Tip: North tower has rooms with DC view, South tower has newer rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am glad we were able to accommodate your request for a view. The hotel has the fortune of having the most unobstructed clear views of Washington DC of any hotel in the area. We try to meet guest requests for room types if there the availability. However, the only way to be guaranteed a room type is to reserve it during the reservation process.

Parking is actually $24 per 24 hours and I agree it can appear to be steep. However, when compared to other hotels in the area I am confident that you will see the price is in line with the area. I would not recommend to anyone that he/she parks in the Verizon lot. Those spots are for Verizon employees and towing is enforced. You are correct that there are meters on the street which have 12 hour time limits, but are free on evenings and weekends. Many of our guests do look for metered parking, but being it is so limited it is rare to find one available.

I appreciate you mentioning the complimentary wireless Internet in the Lobby & Lobby Bar. We also offer complimentary Internet in our business center.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,987)

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We just returned a few days ago from our first trip to Washington DC. We were very happy at the Doubletree, where we had excellent service and a beautiful room.

I want to mention a few of the staff who went out of their way during our visit. Daniel and Terrence at the front desk were great to deal with. I was also impressed with the beautiful breakfast buffet and especially with our server, Haji. We found most of the staff throughout the hotel friendly and welcoming. We also want to thank Kevin Feldman, who comments on the reviews here. He was extraordinarily helpful during our stay.

We were placed in the south tower in a one bedroom renovated room, which was large and comfortable for our needs. We had a mini fridge and microwave oven in the kitchen area, which we found very handy. I was happy with the airconditioning system in the room, that was working well and without a lot of racket. In the past we have had problems with a few other hotels in this regard. We could have been placed in the north tower, which has much better views, but we opted for the convenience and comfort of the renovated room instead, which is available in the south tower.

One other item to point out is that the Skydome restaurant on Saturday night was a lot of fun. You pay a $10 cover charge per person after 9pm, but there is music and a dance floor for the price. We had a nice dinner and had entertainment for the night without having to leave the hotel. I had a pretty good burger up there and the Greek salad was really delicious too. The view is the best part of the place, because it is a revolving restaurant. It is on the highest floor of the north tower, with an amazing view of Washington.

We hope to make another trip to the area in the future and I would not hesitate to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room and try theSkydome Restaurant in the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ghfan
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read that you had a positive hotel experience. I really appreciate you mentioning the staff that worked hard to make that happen. This will help us recognize their efforts. i really appreciate you contacting me as I enjoy hearing from guests that read my responses and it gave me an opportunity to better understand your needs prior to your arrival. We will continue to work hard so all of our guests have positive experiences like the one had.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room accommodations. We have received such positive feedback from guests that have experienced our renovated rooms. It is always comforting to have a well working air conditioning unit to come back to after a long day of touring DC in the summer.

The Skydome is a unique experience and I recommend that all of our guests go up there. The $10 cover charge is only on Friday & Saturday nights after 9pm. Prior to 9pm on all nights we have many families that enjoy what the Skydome offers. The kids love the revolving floor and like the adults, are amazed with the fantastic view.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have stayed with my wife for a week last August. The renovated rooms are excellent, the staff was very helpful and I made a requirement to Mr Kevin Feldman who was extremely efficient to resolve it.
I recommend this hotel. .

Julio Leiva
Chile

Room Tip: Ask for renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JULIO L

Thank you for your review. I really was happy to hear from you prior to arrival as I enjoy hearing from people that read my responses. It was great to know your needs prior to arrival and it is fantastic to read that you had a positive stay experience. It was also nice meeting you during your stay.

Thank you again for the email and the recommendation. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Lemon of a hotel. Shuttle is so slow, like they're driving Miss Daisy. All food places here are way over priced. The top floor is the only thing worth the over priced drink (one), & too many other options to pay for anything else. Service is very slow. What makes me loathe this place, is I've stayed here a lot (not by my choice) & 66% of the time I have NOT received my wake up call, which is quite important when my flights have been at 0600. They can keep their stupid cookie! Stay somewhere else... I miss the Holiday Inn, Crystal City.

• Stayed: September 2012
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had a negative experience, but hope readers of this review will read the many other positive reviews that recognize the good service most of our guests experience.

This is the first I have heard of the shuttle drivers driving too slow. In my experience of riding in the shuttles the drivers seem to drive the speed limit (25 mph). My apologies that you felt they were driving too slow. The Director of Food & Beverage does ensure our prices are in line with other area hotel food prices. However, I will be glad to forward your comment to him so he can relook at this.

I hope you told us of the challenge in not getting a wake up call so we could investigate why this is occuring for you? I am very surprised to read this as we understand how important wake up calls are. During the weekdays, about 70% (if not more) of our guests request & receive wake up calls. If this was a habitual challenge in the hotel, I am certain it would appear in many reviews on this site, but I can not recall this coming up in another review. Also, this is not common complaint we receive. I am interested to know if you set the wake up call yourself through the phone or call it in to the operator. Again, we deliver 300+ wake up calls on some days and like all hotels, there are times one may be missed due to an error, but for you to have had the same challenge 66% of the time is really odd. I am sorry this occurred as I can understand why it would be upsetting for you. I do hope you will contact me so I can investigate this further.

Thank you again for your review and I am sorry you left with a negative impression. I do hope you will contact me and we can work towards a resolution of the challenge you have been experiencing. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Our family of three stayed for five nights, and booked a junior suite. By paying in advance, we saved a fair bit, and were able to afford a larger room. It was a great room - separate sleeping area for the kids with their own TV, beautiful bathroom and a super comfy bed. The room was also very quiet, with no noise from outside or from the hallway.

The staff were all very friendly, and the breakfast buffet is pretty good, compared to most, though still pricey. There are few places to eat adjacent to the hotel, but within a ten minute walk (in a very safe part of town) there are many choices of all price ranges. Hotel is also less then a ten minute walk from the subway system.

Location is great - subway ride to Arlington National Cemetery is 5 minutes, to the National Mall is ten minutes and I left my room, walked to the subway, caught a train, transfer and walked to the Washington Nationals' stadium in 30 minutes.

Room Tip: We had a room in the south tower, facing the north tower. Zero view, but no street noise either. T...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for your review. You are correct, there are advantages to purchasing your room/suite further in advance as often times, like the airlines, this can have significant savings. I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your suite accommodations and found the suite to be spacious enough for your family. We rarely get complaints of outside noise and I am glad this was your experience.

I appreciate you mentioning the friendly staff and positive breakfast experience. Yes, we are within walking distance of different dining options and the Pentagon City Metro Station. Of course, guests can also enjoy a complimentary shuttle ride to the Metro, Pentagon City Fashion Centre Mall, and 23rd street, which offers many different dining options.

The Metro is absolutely the best way to get to the Nationals Ballpark and agree with you that getting to so many attractions is very simple and convenient from the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Even though I live in the DC area, I stayed here on a Friday night so I could catch an early Saturday morning flight out of DCA.
This hotel has MANY things going for it. Its location is ideal - not far from the Metro or the Airport, with many of restuarants nearby.
The pool is modern, clean, and large - better than most hotel swimming pools.
The fitness center, also, is better than most hotels.
And, I was upgraded to a room with a view of Washington, DC - nice touch!
However, I do have two negative comments about the restaurant. First, my sneakers stuck to the tile floor as I walked to and from the buffet. I'm not sure why the floor was so sticky. That's easily rectified, though.
My main complaint, however, is the fact I had to pay $5 to upgrade to the full breakfast. I realize $5 is not a great deal of money, but as a loyal Hilton Hhonors Diamond member, the least the hotel could do is waive this fee as a way of thanking loyal customers. I would hope the management would revisit this policy.
Other than breakfast, I think this is a great hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. We often times have locals staying with us to get away for a weekend or like you, wanting to be closer to the airport. I am glad that you found our location to be convenient for your needs. The complimentary shuttle to Reagan Airport and the Pentagon City Metro Station (which is also within walking distance) make this hotel an ideal location for so many people.

Yes, our fitness center is the largest of any single hotel in the area. Being next to the Pentagon, we recognize that many of our guests rely on a nice daily workout. The top floor pool is also a favorite of many of our guests. I am glad you took advantage of these amenities.

My apologies that you found the floor in the Cafe to be sticky. Perhaps someone spilled some juice or syrup. The staff is usually on top of this and constantly cleans the floor, but I will bring this to the attention of our Director of Food & Beverage so he can remind them of the importance of making sure this is done.

The HHonors amenity program offers a continental breakfast for HHonors members that choose this as the amenity. In the past, we did offer a full breakfast, even though the amenity called for only a continental breakfast. However, the Hilton Worldwide has asked all hotels to strictly follow the HHonors amenity program to maintain consistency throughout the hotels. Therefore, we had to stop offering the full breakfast and offer continental breakfast mentioned in the program. We realize some of our guests prefer the full breakfast which is why we offer it for only a $5 upgrade fee. I can understand your point of view and if HHonors changes the program to include a full breakfast, we will be happy to offer it. You are more than welcome to voice your concerns to the HHonors desk. I will be sure to pass your comments to the HHonors department as well.

Thank you again for the review and I am so glad you had an overall positive stay. We hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed here while taking my daughter back to college in DC. The location was great because it gave us quick access to the GWU campus, but also great access to the suburbs for dorm-room shopping.

Although I was traveling by car, if you're willing to walk to the metro which is about three blocks, but BIG blocks, you can get into DC relatively easily. I got a rate of $119 per night, with a third night free, which worked out to $79/night- which was the best deal around at the time!

Some people complain about the $24/day parking fee, but that's about what parking costs in the area. If you're in DC proper, it can be even more.

Our two-double-bed room was spacious and clean. Service at check in was fast and friendly. Ate one meal in the bar and it was good, breakfast buffet was a bit pricey, but on-par for most hotels and worth it if you want a big breakfast and don't want to go hunting for something.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay and I would stay again- if the price was right, and I only say this because there are comparable quality hotels in the area where I've stayed for about the same price with better metro access.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms (not ours) have great views of DC, if you're coming for vacation and haven'...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you for the review and choosing to stay with us. I am glad that you found the location of the hotel to fit your needs. It is nice to be so close to the Metro which makes it easy to get into DC, but not actually be in the city so you have the benefits of the suburbs.

The walk from the hotel to the Pentagon City Metro station takes most people between 7-10 minutes. Of course, for those that choose not to or can not do the walk, we offer a complimentary shuttle to the Metro station. Yes, the 3rd night free special we are running is quite popular. I recommend all travelers go to our website to see the different packages to find one that works for them.

I really appreciate you mentioning that the parking fee is in line with what other hotels in the area charge. You are correct that hotels in the District have much higher parking prices. I recently was at a hotel and saw their parking charge was $45 per night.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room accommodations and found the room to be spacious. Both the Skydome and Lobby Bar serve dinner and offer unique experiences. You are correct that while a hotel breakfast is typically more expensive than eateries outside of a hotel, the convenience is a big plus.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return. We realize that our travelers have many hotel options to choose from and will continue to work hard so we are the choice hotel in Crystal City. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.