DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
GardenInn.com
  • Restaurant
$95
$85
Comfort Inn Ballston(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$118
ComfortInn
Econo Lodge Metro(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$102
EconoLodge
Virginian Suites Arlington(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$116
$199
  • Breakfast included
$159
$139
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$122
$115
Americana Hotel(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$101
3,049 results
All reviewsdouble treenorth towerrevolving restaurantskydome restaurantcrystal citywarm cookieslobby barpentagon city metrowhole foodsself parkingbreakfast buffetwashington dcfree shuttleshopping mallshuttle servicereagan airportfitness center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Doubletree looks pretty nice in the photos, but our room was very dated and not perfectly clean.
The beds were comfortable enough and certainly sanitary, but the carpet and bathroom needed a deep cleaning. We reserved a view room and pre-paid. We were offered an upgrade online to a bigger room that we accepted. When we checked into the hotel we did not recieve a view room, and were told there were no rooms like the one we paid for in that tower of the building. The other tower rooms were full. We did not get what we paid for and we did not recieve the differance off our bill. The hotel entrance is difficult to find in the dark. Eat dinner before going back because there are no real places to eat nearby, except McDonalds several blocks down the street. You may want to pass on this McD's because it is in the locals part of town. On the upside, our breakfast was very good in the hotel cafe-it was expensive, but the portions were very large. The staff were friendly and polite.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank S H
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you felt the photos were not a representation of the actual product. I want to let you know that the photos on our website were taken here (not stock photos) and we try to acturately represent the hotel so our guests are not surprised or disappointed.

Unfortunately, our view rooms and suites are in two different towers. Based on your review it looks like you reserved a view room with an option for an upgrade. Typically, unless that room type is reserved, the upgrades are not guaranteed, but based on availability. The only way to guarantee a room type is to reserve it at the time of the reservation. I am sorry that a suite upgrade was not available for you and apologize if it was not clear at the time of your reservation that upgrade requests are based on availability. I want to be sure that you were not billed for anything that you did not receive. Please contact me directly so I can look into this. Upgrade fees are not assessed unless the upgrade is received, but I will be glad to confirm that when you contact me.

Actually, there are option to eat in the area. The Pentagon Fashion Center Mall offers a food court, which many families enjoy. Behind the mall is Pentagon Row, which has different restaurants (a sports restaurant/bar, Irish pub, pizza places, etc). Also on 23rd street (prior to the McDonald's that you reference) there is a row of restaurants on both sides of the street. These restaurants offer all different kinds of cuisine. It is an 11 block walk, but our shuttle will drop off at 23rd street upon request. I am sorry that you were not aware of these restaurants or did not find anything to your liking other then McDonald's.

I appreciate you also including the positives of your stay. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and found the staff to be friendly. We do our best to make each interaction with guests a positive one.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. I do hope you will contact me directly so I can either correct your bill or set your mind at ease that no extra charges occurred. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here for 4 days in May 2012. The hotel is very nice. The breakfast buffet is very expensive for what is offered. The skydome restaurant is very cool with it's rotating floor. You have an amazing view of the Pentagon and of Ronald Regan airport. The hotel has a shuttle that takes you right to a Metro stop if you wish to go to Downtown DC or Arlington Cemetary. My kids got a kick out of the pool being on the 14th floor, even though 1 night the pool was filled with about 75 screaming teenagers.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bob H
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you found the hotel to be nice and enjoyed your stay. Please let me know of any suggestions that you have as to what you would like to see on the breakfast buffet. The Director of Food & Beverage really enjoys getting feedback from our guests and often times uses the information as a guide when making changes.

The Skydome Lounge is a one of a kind. I recommend all guests go up there to dine, get a drink, or just take in the view. In my opinion, it is the best view of the Washington DC area that you can find.

While the shuttle offered to the Metro is complimentary, many of our guests enjoy the short 3 block walk (7-10 minutes). It makes getting in/out of DC & Arlington Cemetery very easy. I am glad your kids enjoyed the pool and while it may have seemed like 75 teenagers, it had to be far less as that exceed the pool capacity.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

The support staff is very friendly and the rooms are OK, but some necessities are missing. This was the biggest issue - they remember the silly business things that are supposed to make us feel welcome, but forget the basic necessities of travel.

The clock in my room was set wrong, and the telephone wake-up call doesn't work. And, yes, I did set the call correctly. The machine checks and double checks, but still doesn't do it right.
I arrived shortly after midnight after a long day of traveling. There was absolutely no way to get ANYTHING to eat; the hotel is completely shut down and they don't even have vending machines (other than soda). Not a huge deal; but this is such a basic thing to be missing. But they did remember to leave stupid messages on the telephone about "we're glad you chose us..." Arriving this late, I assumed this was from my conference (regarding check-in procedures) and actually started taking notes before I realized it was a telemarketing call.

Room Tip: cheaper hotel 1 block away has free wifi!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had positive interactions with the staff and found the room to meet your expectations. However, I am sorry we did not have some of the necessities as that should not have occurred.

I can understand why it would be frustrating not to have the wake up call come through. We understand how important these are as one missed call can create many challenges for that guest. We did not have a system wide problem, so please contact me so I can have the room checked. We would not want anyone else to have the same challenge. The housekeeper should have definitely caught the clock being incorrect and had it fixed prior to your arrival. I am sorry this was missed.

I appreciate the suggestion to add machines that offer snacks. I will pass this along to the proper manager. The message is genuine, not a telemarketing call. A telemarketing call typically asks you for something, but this call was from our General Manager to welcome you to the hotel and offer you our Careline number should you need anything. Most guests appreciate this message, but I apologize that you found it annoying; that was not the intent.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you return. The clock not working and the wake up call not coming through should not have occurred and I am confident that if you return, you will find these to be isolated incidents. We will work hard to restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

This hotel has some charm, but the glitzy veneer wears thin quickly, and you start to see the age of the facility, and the poor upkeep/cleaning.

I have two major complaints about my stay. The first if the cleanliness of the rooms. Second is the lack of volunteered information on the part of the staff. First, though some general comments.

The lobby areas are well maintained, lighted and cleaned. These areas are as one expects based upon the website (http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/virginia/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-washington-dc-crystal-city-DCAAEDT/index.html). The carpeting is a bit dated.

The staff is courteous and pleasant - though less informative than I expect from Doubletree/Hilton. Check-in was fast and friendly, with no hassles. I had pre-paid to get a lower rate, so there was no paperwork, etc.

Upon reaching my designated floor, I immediately noticed a musty odor I usually associate with more tropical regions: that odor that combines heat and humidity with lots of air conditioning. I'll grant that the region has experienced a remarkably hot summer, but an adequately designed and maintained HVAC system can handle Washington's hot summers. My room was likewise odorous.

The view from my room was nothing special...but I didn't pay the extra $15 per night for the view of Wash DC. Despite this, I could just make out the Washington Monument and the Capital dome.

Like other reviewers, I noticed the age of the rooms. From warn and stretched carpets, to "ancient" furnishing, the room showed its age. Others have noted that the rooms have flatscreen TVs - which are not HD. That didn't bother as much as the almost-useless LodgeNet system. Reportedly this system has all the descriptions of the hotel, etc etc. - not that I would know it, I never got the system to work. The lag was excruciating, making it impossible to use.

Unlike others, I did not find the beds to be a problem. Yes, they are firm, but that suits me. The linens are of reasonable quality, but no different than I've found at other, and less expensive, Hilton properties.

Cleanliness:
I've mentioned the odors in the hallways and rooms.
More important is the grime, mold and mildew in the bathroom. I've attached a couple of photos showing same. I don't put up with this in my home, I expect the hotels at which I stay to do the same. Cleaning crews need to be better trained, have better tools, be allowed the time to clean properly.

Informativeness:
It's summer at a hotel that serves both business and vacation clients. Your pool is out of service. Shouldn't that be something you mention - during check-in - to visitors dressed in shorts, carrying three large bags???? Apparently not at the Doubletree.

At the end of my first day, after touring the sites in DC, I called the "Careline" to ask which floor the pool is on, only to be informed that the pool was out of service. Disappointing, to say the least. Ok, so things happen...maintenance is needed, etc.

Late the following evening (last before leaving), I happened to talk to a couple riding the elevator, and mentioned the pools was closed. They informed me that yes, they knew, but that the hotel was shuttling clients to the nearby Embassy Suites (also a Hilton property) as their pool was open. WHAT?? So now I'm not just irritated at not being able to use the pool, but now I'm angry that the "Careline" didn't care enough to inform me of this, despite my call specifically about the pool.

It's excusable - though barely, given my attire - that the front desk didn't inform me on my arrival. The hotel hosts a lot of business travelers, and that's not usually on the agenda. It is excusable that the pool was out of service. It is NOT excusable to fail to mention the alternative to a customer making a specific inquiry as to the location of the pool.

Room Tip: If you care about views, pay close attention to the room titles when booking. These will indicate DC View or DC Skyline View.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank yosPhelium

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you left here with a negative impression of the hotel & staff. It is disappointing to read that you felt the staff was not informative as we really try to give too much information to avoid surprises for our guests. Obviously this was not the case with you and I am sorry about that.

I am glad to read you enjoyed the new look of the lobby and had an easy check in process. You are correct that the DC area has had an unusual hot spell of temperatures close or above 100 for weeks at a time. The a/c units have definitely felt the strain of the constant hot temperatures and in speaking with colleagues at other hotels this seems to be consistent with many hotels. The units are not made to keep the room temperatures at 35+ degrees cooler than the outside temperatures for weeks on end. I do apologize that the smell of the a/c was noticeable as I can understand why this was disturbing for you.

My apologies that you were not happy with the room condition. We understand some of the rooms are in need of refurbishment and this is scheduled to take place early next year. We have renovated many of our rooms/suites and look forward to having them all done. I am confident that when this occurs all of guests will have the same positive impression of their room as the guests that stay in a newly renovated room have.

I am sorry that you had a challenge with Lodgenet. To my knowledge, we have not had a systemwide problem with Lodgenet as I have not had this complaint before. I wish you would have called our CAREline to let the operator know. An Engineer would have happily come up to fix the challenge.

It is nice to read you enjoyed the bed. Thank you for sharing the photos of your room and I hope you contact me directly so I can identify which room you stayed in. The Director of Housekeeping will absolutely follow up on this to make sure the areas that need more work are tended to.

I can understand why having the pool out of order was disappointing. Without knowng when you checked in, I can not say whether it was out of order at that time. It was an unexpected repair needed and unfortunately, it could not wait. The pool was in use Sunday night and by Monday morning it was drained. That may have been the reason you were not informed at check in. The desk staff were trying to inform as many guests as they could, because again we do not want any surprises for them. I am sorry you did not know until calling the Careline.

Due to the area being sold out, it took some time to find a hotel that would allow us to use their pool, because they wanted it available for their guests. Again, without knowing when you called the CAREline, I can not verify that this option existed at that time. It was not until the 2nd day of the pool being out of order that we were able to secure an alternative for our guests. However, I can understand why this would be upsetting for you and I apologize this occurred.

Thank you again for the review and I am sorry we let you down in certain areas. I do hope you will return so we can restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree last weekend. The hotel was great! The personnel extremely helpful, friendly and informative. I found all of DC citizens to be very friendly. Breakfast room service a little pricey $30. The rooms very comfortable and attractive. The location was 5 minutes from Washington Reagon Airport. The skydome was fun. The view was spectacular. There is a cover charge on weekend nights of $10 even for hotel guests. They have DJ for dancing music. During week no cover charge and open to public. Need to go during day to see all of DC. A taxi to Mt. Vernon was $32 one way. Hotel provides free shuttle to Airport. To park your car the cost is $25 per day. I recommend the Chart House Restaurant at Torpedo Alley. Chief Ike's Bar and Havana Club on Columbia Rd. are dumps. Don't waste your time. The Josephine Nightclub was very nice, a $20 cover charge.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Thank you for the review. I am so glad you had a positive experience. The staff will be happy to see that you found them to exceed your expectations as we work hard to make each guest interaction a positive one.

As with most (if not all) hotels, the room service is more expensive than dining in the restaurant. We offer both options to guests as well as just grabbing something quick from our Cafe Go. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room and I am glad you took advantage of our location by reserving a view room. The views are unbeatable both from the view rooms and from the Skydome. The cover charge does not begin until 9pm on Friday and Saturday's so there is still plenty of time for our weekend guests to enjoy the Skydome without having to pay the cover charge. As you mentioned, there is no charge Sunday - Thursday. It is nice of you to provide the readers some local area recommendations for restaurants/bars. Our concierge, front desk staff, and bell staff can also provide some recommendations depending on what you are looking for.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.