“Very Nice - the hotel, staff, and restaurant - but, a few ouch surprises for me.”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

It seemed inexspencive enough - when I called to ask about parking another car they said to bring as many as I would like - Because i have to pay about $20 a night for each car. (ouch surprise)
Late that evening - after picking my mother up at the train station - she ordered room service. Very pricy (ouch surprise) but, for my mom it was worth it and she really really loved that salad!!! So much that I walked down and got her another later in the week. (Cheeper)
All the staff were awesome - all but one waiter in the restaurant I can not have gluten and the breakfast buffet had a wonderful lay out of food - one of my favs - bacon. Well, they catch the bacon grease drippings with a toast at the bottom of the bacon pan (very cleaver) but that contaminated the bacon. I asked if I could order a side of bacon and get the Breakfast Bar - he told me they could not cook me any in the kitchen. (ouch surprise) Maybe he was having a bad day - I don't know. But, I do know a couple days later another waiter brought me some bacons from the Kitchen.
All in all I liked this place :)

• Stayed: July 2012
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had a nice stay and I am sorry that some charges surprised you. It is not our intention to hide any charges as we do not want our guests to be surprised. The parking charges are listed on our website and also on the confirmation email that is sent after a reservation is made. I am sorry that the charge was a surprise to you upon arrival. If the question posed was can a guest park more than one car in the lot, I can understand why the answer given was "bring as many as you'd like". However, I can also understand why you felt at that point the parking charge should have been reiterated. I am sorry that it was not.

In just about all hotels, room service is more expensive than ordering in the restaurant to either dine in or take it back to your room. I am glad to read she enjoyed the salad so much. I am unsure which salad she ordered, but the Cobb Salad is one of our most popular items. I recommend that to anyone looking for a salad to enjoy.

Your request for bacon should have been met. I am sorry that it was not and the Director of Food and Beverage will follow up with his staff to remind them that requests like this should be handled efficiently and to the satisfaction of the guest. While this is disappointing, I am glad you found the other members of the staff to be friendly and accommodating. I am glad we met this request on your next visit to the Cafe.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. We will work hard to make sure you have an enjoyable stay with as much bacon (that does not touch a gluten product) as you can eat! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Whenever I've stayed here, I've had no problem with my room or the service. The chocolate chip cookie is just the beginning. If I am staying for longer than a few days, I order an extra refrigerator and microwave. It is a short walk to the mall where I will pick up a meal in the food court and I will need to store the leftovers. The breakfast really makes it for me. I live overseas and I enjoy American bacon whenever I can get it. Their breakfast buffet has an ample section of meats, fuits and vegetables, and eggs any way I want them. Usually I could find a junior suite at an online rate which was less than the government rate. If I didn't have so many points built up with another chain, I would like to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you for your review and for continuing to return. It is our goal to make sure each guest leaves happy & wanting to return so it is nice to read we have succeeded thus far with you.

As our rooms/suites are renovated a refrigerator and microwave are being put in. However, for the rooms that do not have them yet we do have some available on request. I am glad you have found this amenity helpful.

It is nice to read that you enjoy the breakfast. The buffet offers a great selection so each guest can find some items that he/she likes.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. We'd love you to build up some points with us and have the Hilton Worldwide family of hotels become your #1 choice. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I'm in the second night of my stay and just had to review, because I rarely ever complain about anything and tonight was the last straw.

Upon arriving July 13th, Friday evening, I found the staff very friendly. I must compliment Jayson (bell man) and Omer (front desk) for their exemplary courtesy and attention.

After 10:00 pm, I was starving and asked where to eat. The front desk suggested the SkyLounge. I didn't care about the $10 cover as long as I could get some decent food. After confirming with the check in/security guy at SkyLounge that I could eat there, I paid the cover charge. It turns out however that you can't eat there unless there's an open table which the manager inside then told me that you just have to wait and see if anyone is gone. With people dancing around, you couldn't tell if tables were open. I told the manager I just wanted to eat. He and the security guy said I just had to wait. I walked out of there in disgust, robbed and still famished.

Conversely, the nice girl at the closed cafe said that the bar was open and could serve. So kudos to her and the bartender who did a fine job of making sure I was okay.

Tonight, I decided to order room service. Called the room service number. Called the front desk who transferred me to room service. Called room service again. Mind you, I didn't call back to back to back. I waited, because I figured room service would be busy. However, they just let the phone ring endlessly.

So I ordered pizza from a local shop. After an hour, I received a call from the bell desk. Apparently, the driver had to wait down by the bell desk by the front of the entrance. I had to come down from the 14th floor to get it. Not a big deal, but it was, because I couldn't freaking get basic room service. I tipped the driver over $10 for his inconvenience, then went upstairs to eat mediocre pizza.

To add insult to injury, I put $2.00 in the soda machine on the 14th floor for a diet coke. What came out was a warm to hot diet coke. So not good, because aspartame is bad enough, but in heat, it breaks down the bonding to... whatever. Needless to say, I tossed that. And now the hotel store is closed, so I'm stuck.

I travel quite a bit and have never had a bad experience in a Doubletree. Overall, the staff is friendly, but the overall customer experience has been not good. I fear my remaining night and hope that this review reach the hotel, so they can improve to meet the Doubletree standard.

Safe travels,

Peter

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you for the review. I really appreciate you mentioning the smooth check in process and pointing out that Jayson & Omer exceeded your expectations. They both work very hard to make each guest interaction a positive one.

I am very sorry about your negative Skydome experience. The Director of Food & Beverage will be reviewing your comments with the staff to help make sure other patrons do not experience the same frustrations. I will be happy to refund your $10 cover charge. Please contact me directly so I can get some information from you as I do not have any direct contact information. I am glad to read that you had a nice Lobby Bar experience and were able to enjoy your much needed meal there.

That is disappointing that the room service phone went unanswered. That should not occur as room service is staffed appropriately. Again, I am sure the Director of Food & Beverage will be following up on this to remind the staff how important it is to make sure every call is answered in a timely manner. I can understand why this would have been very frustrating for you and apologize that you had this poor experience.

Yes, for security reasons we do not allow delivery people up on the floors. We do ask our guests to come down to get food ordered outside of the hotel. While it may be an inconvenience, we do this to help keep our guests secure.

Wow, you really have had some poor meal experiences and I feel really bad about this. On top of the refund of your $10 cover charge, I would like to offer you the $2 refund from the soda machine. I will also call in the 14th floor soda machine to the Engineering Dept so they can check on it to find out why the soda was warm.

Unfortunately, I did not get notice of this review until after your check out. However, I am hopeful that you will return so we can be sure to not only offer you a nice hotel experience, but also a positive meal experience in any one of our food outlets. I am sorry this did not occur during your recent stay.

In situations like this, I really recommend asking to speak to the Manager on Duty. We always have a hotel manager available to assist in any situation. We want each stay to be enjoyable and memorable (for the right reasons). If this is not occurring, please ask for the manager. We will work hard to make it right.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you contact me directly. We take guest comments very seriously and use them to improve. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy travels –

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed one night. Prepaid reservation and was upgraded to a deluxe suite with balcony on the 14th floor. Awesome views at night and during day. Booked this hotel because of the complimentary shuttle service to and from Ronald Reagan Airport. Got to hotel and discovered they offered shuttle service to the Pentagon City mall and the metro station every half hour. Great exercise facility.

But... First negative is vicinity and therefore noise from planes landing at Reagan airport. I think the first plane I heard was about 7am. Obviously this can't be controlled, but other negative had to be the pool. Opened at 10am and it was cold. Really cold. The temperature needed to be checked or something was broken. And no jacuzzi.

Nonetheless, had a great stay. Thanks, Doubletree!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your upgraded suite. The balcony offers a fantastic view of the city and Reagan Airport and it is nice to read you enjoyed this feature. The shuttle service is an amenity that makes it very convenient for our guests. It also is a big money and time saver as no rental car is needed and even if you have a car the time (and frustration) in finding a parking spot in DC can really take away from a fund day of sight-seeing.

While it does happen from time to time, I can honestly write that we rarely hear feedback that planes disturbed our guests. I hope that people with this concern will read other reviews and notice that this is not noted. Certainly if this effected most of our guests it would be mentioned more often. However, I am sorry the planes disturbed you during your stay.

Thank you for letting me know about the pool. My apologies to you that the water was cold. In the future, please let us know while you are here so we can try to fix the challenge right then. We want all of our guests to have a positive experience so if something is not right, let us know. We will work hard to correct it as quickly as possible.

Thank you again for the review and for staying with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We had to stay at this hotel due to an event - it would not have been my first choice in the area. That said -- the goods are - great location - easy walk to metro, to many different restaurants, many different stores - underground Crystal City etc. I stayed in the South Tower in a suite and the room was pretty good - spacious, fresh towels and plenty of them, comfy and clean beds. Now the bads - the hotel seemed like a were were in a dungeon - there was not enough lighting in the room especially - the food was overpriced and not the best - and there was not a map of the hotel in the room or anywhere I could find. Bads also included parking - the attendant (when he was present) had people parking in driving areas - the system double charged us and was flaky at best. The information about the area was lacking - thankfully I was a local and I had access to the internet so I could find everything I needed. The hotel needs better information for its guests.

Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you for the review and I hope your event was a success. I am so glad that you found so many positives about the hotel. I agree, the location is convenient to so many places. Aside from the option to walk to the Metro or Mall, there is a complimentary shuttle offered. It is nice to read you enjoyed your suite and found it to be comfortable.

Thank you for the suggestion of offering more information on the hotel to our guests. The General Manager often uses feedback like this to help determine any changes that are made to the information provided in the guest rooms/suites. I am sorry that you found your suite to be dark. That is not a comment I usually hear so I am unsure if perhaps the wrong wattage bulb was put in and not enough light was given. Without knowing what suite you stayed in, I can not confirm the reason why it was dark.

I do hope you will contact me so I can find out which driving area you are referring to. The valet attendants typically keep the driving lanes clear and I have not received any other complaints on this. Please contact me directly with more information so we can properly follow up on this. I am sorry you were double billed for the parking, but hope it was corrected quickly. If not, please let me know.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope you will return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Our stay from from 7/3 to 7/9. At registration, we were given room keys and told our room number but I had to ask for instructions to get to the room (no cookies ever offered). I had requested a refrigerator to store medication but was on a waiting list. When the refrigerator was delivered, it was moldy and we had to request another which we did not get until the next day. Fortunately, we were not charged for the refrigerator. The double bed room in the north tower was cramped and furniture scuffed. The room was stuffy although the themostat was set on 68 but this might have been due to the excessive heat in the area. In the bathroom, the paint was bubbling on the ceiling most likely as there is no fan. There was no map layout of the hotel in the room or available at the front desk. Only maps are at the elevators in the lobbies. The staff at the lobby lounge (cafe was closed) to order food was horrible. One night we ordered food (3 in our party) but only 2 entrees were delivered, when we asked where the 3rd entry was, the server argued with us that we only ordered two so by the time I got my food everyone else was almost done. One night my adult daughter (staying in another room) tried to order room service but room serivce would not answer so she had to go to the front desk to try to get room service. The front desk acutally had to have someone from room service come to the lobby to actually take her order. Although the Metro was within walking distance, it was very hot due to the excessive heat in the area. The shuttle drivers were never certain if they were going to the Metro or the Airport. The conceirge said it was up to the shuttle drivers, but they did not seem to communicate with each other or they argued with each other. The Metro shuttles were crowded and people were asked to get off to wait for the next shuttle due to overcrowding. The shuttles were very hot and stuffy and did not seem to be air conditioned. The pool was cold and very crowded. Staff at hotel did not seem very friendly and helpful.

Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for the review. My apologies that you had a poor experience at check in. The agent certainly should have pointed you in the right direction and most definitely offered you some cookies. Please contact me directly and I will be glad to mail you a tin of cookies so you can enjoy our famous treat.

We are in the process of have refrigerators put in each room/suite as it is renovated. We do try to meet requests to deliver them to the rooms that currently do not have one. However, it is based on availability. I am sorry you had to wait for one and then the one delivered was not cleaned properly. I can understand why this would be frustrating.

Thank you for the suggestion of having a map layout of the hotel in the rooms. I will forward this to the management team. I hope readers realize from recent reviews that it is unusual for our staff to be unaccommodating. I am sorry this occurred as the server should not have argued with you. Our room service is always staffed so I am unsure why the phone was not answered. The Director of Food & Beverage will be looking into both the room service & lobby bar challenges you experienced to make sure other guests do not have the same experiences.

Our shuttle drivers have been here for quite some time and the shuttles are on a set schedule. I have never read or heard this before that the driver was confused as to where he was going. Being the shuttles run all day/everyday on the same schedule it is pretty routine for them. It is surprising to read that the driver would not have been able to properly tell you what his destination was. This is also the first time I have read or heard that the drivers were arguing about who drives where. As I said, it is pretty routine for them. The concierge also knows the schedule so I will follow up as to why she would tell you it is up to them.

The shuttles are air conditioned, but I am sorry if they were too hot for you to relax and enjoy them. Yes, there are times when the crowd waiting for a shuttle to the Metro can grow larger than the shuttle capacity. We try to offer a second shuttle when possible or do a double run (back to back) to get people to/from the Metro in an efficient manner.

I am sorry you found the staff unfriendly, but hope the readers of this review realize this is not typical. I happened to be the Manager on Duty all weekend during your stay and had multiple people contact me to let me know how much they appreciated the staff going above & beyond during a sold out week. Please read the many other reviews that mention the friendliness of the staff. However, this was not your experience and I am sorry for that.

Thank you for the review and I do hope you will come back. I am confident that if given another opportunity we can restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Beware of the information and ratings on this hotel. There are two sides of the hotel, literally. Rooms in the South tower are clean and updated and deserving of decent reviews. However, it's a different scene at the North tower. Rooms were dingy and musty here. Bathrooms had mold and carpets weren't vacuumed (I even found slippers under the bed from a previous occupant!). I had my booking through Priceline, so didn't know until reaching the hotel, which rooms were assigned to me. I was surprised that this hotel was assigned a 3.5 star rating. The North Tower feels like an old, cheap motel albeit with an updated lobby, great restaurants and very polite staff.

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side are decent.
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not find the North Tower appealing. Actually, some of our guests prefer the North Tower over the South Tower due to the views that are offered and they find the rooms to meet their standards. Being the majority of the South Tower was just renovated earlier this year those rooms are newer and fresher, but the North Tower rooms also are comfortable & clean. However, I am sorry this was not your experience.

There is no excuse for the slippers being left in the room and the Housekeeper has been spoken to about this as well as the overall room condition. Thank you for letting us know as this should not have occurred.

I am glad you enjoyed the new look of the lobby and had positive dining experience. I appreciate you mentioning the positive interactions with the staff.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you return. I am confident that we can restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City if given another opportunity. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.