“Wouldn't stay here again on a bet”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
“Wouldn't stay here again on a bet”
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

They lost my reservation and the front desk manager gave me an attitude like it was my fault. Rooms in desperate need of renovations. Absolutely close to nothing.

• Stayed April 2012
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you for the review. My apologies that you had a poor experience. I am unsure how we would have lost the reservation. Reservations can be made many different ways, but are all captured on the computer system and can be tracked. Please contact me directly so we can try and resolve this. A reservation that is not checked in or canceled will be charged a no-show fee and I do not want that to happen to you as it will add more frustratuions.

It is extremely rare that a reservation can be lost as it can be looked up so many different ways. That being said, it is very helpful to always have your reservation confirmation at check in. That way, in case there is a challenge in locating the reservation we have all the information needed to find it. Again, I am sorry you had a reservation challenge.

Actually, our rooms are being renovated. The South Tower is mostly completed and the North Tower will be renovated later this year. I invite anyone coming in to contact me anytime so I can try to have your stay in the room type that works best for you.

Thank you again for the review.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I booked at this hotel through priceline "name your price" - it wouldn't have been my choice otherwise.

On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. On the minus side, the room had no mini-bar, fixtures were really in need of an update. The hotel was overbooked, and I had to wait a while for an elevator with space to take me to my room.

The restaurant was mediocre at best; I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, and they were rubbery and had no flavor.

The location is not great; it's about a 10 minute walk to the crystal city metro, although the hotel has a shuttle. The airport shuttle is convenient.

It's not an awful place to stay, but I wouldn't go back.

One note about service: when I checked in, they told me the hotel was overbooked. They offered to move me to Embassy Suites, but only for one night. They wanted me to go there, stay the night, check out, move back and stay my second night in Doubletree. They offered me nothing for absorbing this hassle. I naturally said no.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am sorry you did not have a positive experience. However, it is nice to read you had a comfortable nights sleep. We do have many room types and some do have wet bars. I invite anyone to go to the hotel website to look at our many room types and read what each offers. Be sure to book the room type that works best for you.

My apologies for the long wait for the elevator. During peak times the wait can be a little longer, but with 4 elevators in the South Tower and 3 in the North, the wait should never be that long. Again, I am sorry if the wait time was longer than usual.

I will pass your comment about breakfast onto the Director of Food & Beverage. We take guest comments very serious and use them to improve.

You are correct, the Crystal City Metro Stop is a little further, but the Pentagon Metro Station is a short 3 block walk. As you mention we also offer complimentary shuttle for those that prefer not to walk.

We have some guests that prefer the Embassy Suites as they have some that prefer the Doubletree. The offer was made to see if you wanted to move there as due to a situation out of our control the hotel was oversold. The offer was not meant to offend you and I am sorry if it did.

Thank you for the review and as always I do invite anyone to contact me directly anytime.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 1, 2012

First of all, I have a vast amount of hotel experience after flying for a major airline for over 30 years. I was a little nervous about the hotel after reading a few sketchy reviews and being on hold with the front desk for a whopping 15 minutes. We arrived at 11am and we're promptly given WARM cookies by Jeane at the front desk, we we're then told that we could check into our room even though check-in wasn't for hours. What a fantastic surprise! The room was beautiful and clean, we had a fantastic view of the capital too. The Pentagon City Metro is just a quick 10 minute walk away right next to a large shopping center with several good restaurants. It couldn't have been slicker. So after a long day of walking we we're happy to come back to our lovely hotel room and we slept soundly because the beds we're SO comfortable. As we we're checking out, we we're happy to see Jeane at the front desk again because she was so polite and kind. She even gave my friend several cookies! Did I mention a free and on-time airport shuttle? This hotel will not disappoint you, we absolutely loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the North Tower and had a beautiful view of the city.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jo J
Thank you for the review. I am so happy you had a positive experience. We always try to offer early check in when it is available, but there are times it is not which is why early check in is never promised. It is nice to read that you were able to check in early and you got to enjoy a warm cookie.

The view rooms do offer a great view of Washington DC and even though I see it everyday, I still find the view awesome. It is especially nice for people that do not get to see Washington DC as often.

Jeanne works hard at pleasing our guests and I will be sure to share your nice comments about her with the team. Taking a cookie for the road is always a good idea! The shuttle is such a convenience and I am glad you took advantage of it.

Thank you again for the review. As always I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Los Angeles
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Got upgraded to a new suite which was very well decorated. Staff was very pleasant and arranged a car for me which was waiting for me at the requested time. Clean and quiet room. That's about all I ask for as a frequent traveller and this hotel came through. Hotel shuttle to airport was excellent on time.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am so glad to read that you had a positive experience. The feedback on our renovated rooms/suites has been so positive, I can not wait for the remainder of the rooms to be completed later this year! I appreciate you mentioning the convenience and timeliness of the shuttle.

We hope you return soon. Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Wow. Federal contract that paid for half of the six floor. What a disappointment. I had a family member pick me up only to end the night in adversity. A valet failed to park the car(busy smoking a cigarette), and a shuttle bus driver directed my ride into a parked Double Tree vehicle. What do you know, instead of an apology and compensation, they claimed the damage on the driver's insurance. That is what you should expect from a major hotel chain, right? Thanks a lot Double Tree, I hope to do business with you again after spending thousands of dollars on my stay. Do not expect any response from management for their staff's incompetence. I would alter the rating system in order to give -5 stars on this one.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Balthazar G
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you for your review. My apologies you had these challenges during your stay. I am unsure what you mean about the Federal Contract paid for half the six floor. This is the first I have heard of a valet attendant smoking outside the hotel. As with most companies, employees have a designated smoking area. While the Valet attendants are employees of the management company that runs the garage and not the hotel, they too should never be smoking in public view. I will pass this comment onto the Director for follow up.

I am sorry that you hit a parked vehicle. Any type of accident needs to go through insurance and can not be compensated in any other way. This is to protect both the hotel and any other person involved in an accident. Actually, it is what to expect with any hotel chain as most hotel chains and businesses for that matter follow the same procedures for accidents.

Thank you again for the review and I am very sorry that you had a negative experience. I hope that by the many responses I give that readers will recognize that contrary to what is said in this review, management is very responsive. As always I do invite anyone to contact me directly anytime.

Toronto
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We have stayed at the Double Tree before in Dupont Circle, which was a wonderful experience, cookies were warm, fresh and staff was not stingy if you asked for a couple extra. The room and hotel was nicely furnished and clean. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the Double Tree in Crystal City.

During check-in, I was advised that the room was for two doubles, when I inquired as to the advance request for a single king bed....I was immediately made aware by the front desk agent that I was considered a second-class guest as my reservation was made through Priceline and not directly with the hotel.

It had been a long trip, so the first thing when I entered the room, I wanted to take a shower and I noticed rust and other stains around the bathtub, and the room had a stale scent throughout. After showering, I decided to bite into my cookie and it had a certain je ne sais quoi flavour that I did not like (stale). My fiance joined me later with our girls and we set out for lunch in VA.

We also had a negative experience with the complimentary shuttle service. After waiting some time for a shuttle to go to the metro, one eventually showed up and another family got on, then as we tried to board the driver told us that he was not going to the metro, but was doing a restaurant run to California Pizza Kitchen and did not let us board. It was not until the shuttle drove off that we realized that CPK is just outside the metro entrance----urgghhhh!!! It was another 20 or so minutes before another shuttle came back around.

Prior to arriving in VA, I extended my vacation through Priceline, during check-in it was not mentioned that I would need to renew my reservation, provide a new incidental deposit or anything else that would have made for a seamless transition of our stay. So on Sunday night imagine our surprise when we were locked out of our room. It took nearly an hour for the hotel and security to let us into our room and to furnish us with keys that worked. Our girls were seated on the dirty looking carpeted floor. When we asked for some cookies for the children to snack on while we waited, the front seemed really put out and told us the cookies were for pilots and flight attendants! The whole experience was very embarrassing, as to other hotel guests/passerby's we appeared to be "evicted" hotel guests while we waited for staff to rectify the problem. The hotel manager was completely apathetic to our concerns, and we practically had to beg for some comp for the major inconvenience.

As a frequent traveler, I often book either direct or through Priceline depending on my travel needs...Knowing what I know now about this particular Double Tree, I would never intentionally or directly book with this hotel again. We ended up extending our stay again in VA and finished up our trip around the corner at the Residence Inn--wish we had stayed there for the whole time--staff was more helpful, rooms were cleaner and much nicer, breakfast + social hour=more bang for your buck.

Room Tip: Do not book through Priceline
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am sorry to read that you had a negative experience on your recent stay. I am very sorry that the message you received at check in that you are a less important guest due to booking Priceline. That is absolutely not true and the agent obviously did not convey the proper information to you. If we did not want guests that book Priceline, we would not supply them with rooms to sell. We value all guests regardless of what the booking method is. The message that the agent was trying to convey is that when you book off many 3rd party sites, such as priceline or Hotwire, and you bid on a room by putting in a price point room types are not guaranteed. This is the policy of that site and the only guarantee is that a room will be available. Requests for room types can be made, but they are based on availability. The only way to guarantee a room type is to book on our hotel website or on a site that lists the actual hotel, not a pricepoint. However, I am very sorry that you were made to feel less important and our Director of Front Office will be following up with her staff to remind them of the importance of conveying the proper message to our guests.

While I like the use of the je ne sais quoi flavour in your response, I am sorry your cookie was stale. This is very unusual as cookies are baked fresh all day and kept in cookie warmers. As people that read the many reviews on this site will see the cookies usualll receive rave reviews. In fact, this is the first time I recall the complaint of a stale cookie. Please contact me directly and I will be glad to send you out a tin of fresh cookies.

My apologies there was a miscommunication on the shuttle. The shuttle goes to the Metro every half hour and this shuttle does not make restaurant stops. I am unsure why you were told not to get on and would need some more information so I can look into this further.

Unless we are told at check in time that you had another reservation (back to back), we would have no way to know this. When you extend a 3rd party reservation, it does not extend the reservation, but books another one. So you had the 1st reservation which remained unchanged. We did not know you booked a 2nd one so your check out date remained for that Sunday. Your keys were set to expire on Sunday which is why when you returned they did not work. It should not have taken an hour to resolve this and I am sorry if it did. Typically, once we would have been notified of the 2nd reservation it could be corrected rather quickly. We will look into why this took so long to ensure any guests with similiar challenges have a quicker resolution.

I am being completely honest with you when I say that I have never heard any person ever being told cookies are reserved for pilots and flight attendants. We have three cookie warmers behind the desk and as I mentioned cookies are baked all day. Now, they may have put aside some (pre counted) for an arriving crew (which is rare), but there would always be others to get to you. I am sorry this was not communicated to you properly. We have many guests that enjoy the cookies so much that they ask for more and are accommodated. We make extras just for this reason.

Thank you again for the review. I am sorry you made the decision not to return and again apologize that you did not have an enjoyable stay. I invite anyone reading this review and also my response to take the time to read the other reviews. This will help you see that what this guest experienced is not typical. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We recently met friends here and stayed overnight, wanting to visit The Smithsonian area. The hotel was ideal. The little living area and counter with sink, frig & coffee maker were just what we needed. The decor was very nice and the pocket doors to the bedroom added a nice touch. The bathrooms were spacious and eye appealing also.Everything was very clean and the beds were extremely comfortable.

We could walk to the metro and go wherever we chose. That night, we used the hotel shuttle to take us to a close by area that had tons of dining options.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review. I am so glad you had a positive experience. It looks like you stayed in one of our most recently renovated rooms. I agree, they look great and the sliding door to close the bedroom off from the living room is a big deal to our guests. It offers the ability to have privacy if having people back to the suite in the living room area.

Yes, the walk to the Metro is only 3 blocks (7-10 minutes), but the option exists to use the complimentary shuttle. I am glad you utilized it to take you to nearby dining options.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my response to contact me anytime.