“Noisy dirty run down NOISY” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
“Noisy dirty run down NOISY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have to stay here for work and it's terrible. Room is dirty, black mold in shower, so incredibly noisy I cannot sleep. Everytime someone turns on the water or flushes a toilet it sounds like a fright train is barreling through my room. The beds are all worn out and soggy in the middle. I have stayed in many different rooms here and the bed issue is universal. I wouldnt in a million years spend a single red cent on this hotel if I had the choice. This place makes holiday inn and la Quinta look like 5 star resorts.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Missemarie82
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry you are so upset. However, I ask anyone reading this review to realize this is far from the norm. I ask that you also look at the other reviews and realize there is not one other comment about the loudness of the pipes or the uncomfortableness of the beds. I would have to believe that if it were as bad as indicated there would be many comments about it.

I can 100% honestly say I have never received a comment (until now) about the bed being soggy. In fact, the beds are so popular that Doubletree by Hilton now sells them on line due to the many inquiries on how to get them. Most Doubletree by Hilton properties have the same bed types.

I invite you to contact me directly so we can discuss this further. Once again, I am very sorry that you are so upset and hope that people will read the many other reviews to see that your experiences are not typical of other guests. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
L'Assomption, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

This Hotel is under construction but in no way did it ever inconvience us. It is confusing at the main entrance but there are very professional team of men waiting to help you,even the bell hops couldn't do enough for us. As opposed to the reception desk,when we checked in she was not friendly at all,not even a fake smile. I never went to the front desk again,always to the men at the front with all their welcoming smiles.
The pool is open and it is fantastic! The lady you works there gives you nice big fluffy towels and big smile!
The room,I hope will be one that gets renovated especially the bathroom.Old and tired.Dusting could have been better. It served its purpose.
The Skydome restaurant was awesome! Great views and great food! Service was great but we waited awhile for dessert so they gave it to us for free. Can't say "no" to free mile high chocolate cake!
The rest of the staff was very cheerful and friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. The renovations are winding down and luckily what is going on now is more cosmetic so the loud noise has stopped. Most of the temporary walls are gone and the lobby is 3/4 reopened. I am glad what is left did not impact your stay.

My apologies for the desk agent not smiling. This is not acceptable as regardless of what is going on the agents are to be smiling and friendly. The Front Office Manager will most definitely follow up with the staff to remind them of this. I am sorry that you were met with an unfriendly face, but happy that the bellman provided just the opposite for you.

I agree, the pool is great. It not only offers a fun place to swim, but also a nice size deck for those that are not swimming with a view of the Pentagon since the pool is located on the 14th floor. I am glad you were able to take advantage of this amenity.

My apologies for the wait for the dessert, but it sounds like it was worth it. It is great that you went to the Skydome. The views are unbeatable and I always encourage all guests to go up there; even if not to eat, but just to look out.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. I invite anyone reading my response to contact me anytime.

Saint Robert, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

Even though the hotel is being renovated it is still the place to stay in the Crystal City area. It is always refreshing to walk in and be greeted by name. I really enjoyed the stay. The staff is Professional and seems to enjoy working there. I had some problems, not with the staff, Hotel or Service. I voiced them to two ladies at the front desk and they were resolved immediately. I really appreciate their positive attitudes and assistance. When I'm in the area I will always stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC-Crystal City. Thanks again for a productive Business trip

Room Tip: Great resterant and view
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review. I am so happy to read that you had a great experience. Our staff works hard to ensure each guest interaction is a positive one, so it is nice to read this occured with you. We look forward to your return and will happily greet you by name again!

Thank you again for the review and as always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I got a discount online for this hotel prepaid. It was great for the price I got (about a quarter of the rack rate), and in light of that it was a good deal. The room was clean and was nice and comfortable, though strangely arranged. The TV was great and was real HD that was actually adjusted, not like in some hotels.

The hotel was horribly located, however, and there were no reasonably priced eateries around unless one took the shuttle to the overcrowed touristy mall nearby. In fact, it was about five long blocks to any metro, supermarket, etc, though there was a small store that sold basic items fairly close.

The restaurant itself was way overpriced, though the breakfast buffet was an expensive, but convenient choice. There was a lot of construction, and things were tore up. This was very inconvenient if you arrived carrying bags, as no one was there to help me at first. There was one bellperson (wish I got his name) who was great but otherwise the service was uninspired and no one seemed very interested. Taxis seemed remarkably hard to come by even if they called one for you. There was supposed to be a "business center" which was standing at an old computer in the lobby. The printer was broken, and no one seemed to mind much the inconvenience it caused.

All and all, a good place to stay if you have to be in Crystal City, but if you are thinking of going to DC it seems isolated and rather removed. And bring a load of cash if you aren't out at mealtime, because there aren't many options around. But don't expect top-flight service and unless the price says "I can get a DC-area hotel for that?!Awesome deal!" it is probably not worth the trouble and you can do much better paying full price elsewhere.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the lowest rates, which are found on our hotel website. I am glad toy enjoyed the room.

Judging by the previous reviews that rate the hotel location as a positive, I guess that is very subjective depending on your schedule. It is a great location when going to/coming from Reagan Airport as that is less than 2 miles away and complimentary shuttle is offered. The location to the Metro and Pentagon Fashion Centre Mall is a plus as again complimentary shuttle is offered or it is only a quick 3 block walk (7-10 minutes). The people attending meetings at the Pentagon enjoy the location as the hotel is across the street from the Pentagon. As for restaurants, there are plenty in the area aside from what is in the mall. The shuttle can drop guests at 23rd street and this is known as restaurant row. There are so many eateries to choose from ranging from ethnic, to sports pubs, to chains. Also, many guests enjoy Pentagon Row, which is located behind the mall. Some guests take the shuttle to the mall and walk the 10 minutes to Pentagon Row, or others take quick cab ride. Pentagon Row also offers differing dining options. I am sorry that you were not happy with the location, but I do hope that people reading my response will know there are alternative dining options in the area. Of course, I always recommend the Skydome as an option too as you can't beat that commute (right up the elevator).

I am happy to let everyone know the main entrance reopened. So the confusion should be significantly lessened. My apologies that no one was available to help with the bags. We typically have one or two valet attendants, 2-3 bellman and a bell captain on duty. I am glad someone became available and offered you a good service experience.

We do have a business center, but what you describe is not it. Those are our complimentary computers for guests that want to print boarding passes, check email, or surf the web. The business center is located around the corner from that and offers computers, a laptop hook up, printers, a fax, and copier. I can imagine that it was frustrating to have the printer not working and apologize this was the case. Also, I am sorry you found the staff unfriendly. This is not typical. I invite the readers to read the many recent reviews speaking highly of our employees guest service skills.

The hotel food prices are consistent with other area hotels menus. While this may have more expensive than you would have preferred, it is unlikely that you would be able to dine in a hotel for far less. We will work harder so that if you do return we can offer you the type of service you were expecting. Our goal is to satisfy every guest - everytime. We seem to have fell short of this goal with you and I hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City.

Thank you again for the review. We take all guest comments seriously and use them to improve. As always, i invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy travels --

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

Would love to see a kitchenette style area to place food and Fridge. Otherwise Great room good size for Wash DC. Great Location for DCA airport.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review. I am so happy to read you had a great stay experience. Actually, our newly renovated rooms/suites do have refrigerators. We have refrigerators for our other rooms available upon request and as they are being renovated, new refrigerators will be put in.

The complimentary shuttle to Reagan (DCA ) Airport makes it be very convenient. I am glad you were able to take advantage of this.

Thank you again for the review and I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

Got a good price for spring break and cherry blossom time. Consistent with Doubletree standards. Slept well. good bathroom. Small but neat room. Clean. A 2 block walk to the DC metro (yellow and blue lines). Picked the hotel for the pool -open, top floor with view, all clean and new. And for the metro connection - about $1.65 to 2.50 each way to get anywhere in the DC area quickly and safely. Many restaurants near hotel (one in hotel) and shopping. Quieter at night than downtown. Sadly, limited free internet which is true for many of the nicer hotels of Hilton, and Marriott. But there were at least 5 other local restaurants and coffee spots with free internet so you can do research on your next day's adventures and catch up on emails. Hotel registration and entry all under construction at this time, a bit confusing - should be nice upon completion.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ChuckOldBoy
Thank you for your review. It is nice to see that you had a positive stay experience. The Metro is a quick 3 block walk (7-10 minutes). However there is also a complimentary shuttle that runs in a continuous loop from 6am - 10pm (starts at 7am on weekends). It is a nice option, especially after a long day of sight seeing.

We do offer complimentary wireless internet in our lobby, Lobby Bar (reopening soon), and wired internet on the three computers located in the lobby.

I am happy to let everyone know that our main entrance has reopened so it is not as confusing as it was when an alternative entrance was being used. Please come back to see the finished product.

Thank you again for the review and as always I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

The DoubleTree hotel in Crystal City, Va., is a very nice hotel that is about to be even better

About 1/2 mile from the Pentagon City Metro station, this DoubleTree is currently undergoing a renovation, perhaps due to the recent rebranding of DoubleTree hotels as “DoubleTree by Hilton.”

Whatever the reason, the process has made the hotel’s entrance a bit difficult to find, but that’s temporary. It also is likely immaterial, as most guests arrive either by car, cab, or shuttle bus. Because of its distance, guests who arrive by Metro will likely want to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle bus that runs between the station and the hotel. Only those who know their way and don’t mind the walk will be hiking in.

For my recent three-night stay, the hotel put me in one of the suites that had already been upgraded and it was lovely, as these pictures confirm. Done in a contemporary style, the decor features fabrics with neutral tones against dark-colored furniture with angular lines, set off against lighter walls. Here and there, like the bed’s headboard, designers included pops of color.

The room has the usual amenities including in-room coffee, iron and ironing board, wireless internet access, robes upon request, and – because it was a suite – two flat-screen LG TVs. The suite included a small fridge where I could keep snacks or a bottle of wine (which I supplied myself, as minibars are quickly fading from the hospitality scene).

The tubular desk light, while attractive, was less than practical. Its design resulted in lot of glare when I was working on my laptop at the in-room work station. If you look closely at the picture below, you'll see what I mean. That particular feature could have been done better.

As a HiltonHHonors Diamond member, I was provided with certificates to the “continental” breakfast in the Café off the lobby. I put continental in quotes because it was actually a full buffet breakfast, which was better than most buffets I’ve experienced recently in my travels. There was a selection of juices, both pancakes and French toast, the usual breakfast meats, potatoes, croissant, and more.

Unlike many hotels, the DoubleTree would not allow me to apply the $18 value of the certificate to menu items, which were uniformly less expensive than the buffet, ranging from $12 to 15. However, my server Zbignew took excellent care of me. “I have connections,” he told me the first morning, and got me the freshly cooked eggs I was seeking. A great embodiment of two Hilton standards: leadership and ownership. (Among team members, HILTON is more than a name; it’s also an acronym for the service standards of “Hospitality, Integrity, Leadership, Teamwork, Ownership, Now”).

The hotel has a lounge on the 15th floor of the north tower that doubles as its nighttime restaurant. The Skydome Lounge looks like a holdover from a ‘70s disco: round, with a floor I’m told rotates (though it didn’t the night I was there), a very small bar, and food prepared in the kitchen a floor below.

Food is delivered on a cart with plates covered, a la room service. Having to bring the food up in an elevator surely makes the operation less efficient, and serving food from a cart is a little strange. The lounge does feature a spectacular, sweeping view, stretching from the Pentagon (literally across the street; OK, across I-395) to the DC skyline that includes National Cathedral, the Washington Monument, the Jefferson Memorial, and the Capitol.

Hopefully, renovations will include updating this facility or perhaps expanding operations at the Cafe to include dinner service. Currently, except for the Skydome and room service, guests have to go off-property for dinner.

While the new furnishings are pleasant and, once completed, will no doubt upgrade the feel of the entire property, service is where the DoubleTree really shines.

Everyone was professional and attentive. I don’t believe I passed a team member, from maintenance to management, who didn’t proffer a “good morning,” “how are you, sir?” or other greeting.

Service was equally efficient. I requested a bathrobe when I arrived in my room, and it was at my door in minutes.

Personnel also deal with problems quite professionally. The first day I was there, the wireless Internet access was extremely slow. I reported it to the manager, who looked into it and assured me that it had been a temporary problem, and that it had been fixed (as indeed it had). As a follow-up, he sent a handwritten note to my room apologizing for the inconvenience, and included a tin of those famous DoubleTree cookies.

The hotel runs complimentary shuttles to and from Reagan National Airport, the Metro station, and the Fashion Mall adjacent to the Metro station, so it’s easy to get from point A to B, even without a car.

If you’re traveling to the Washington, DC area, I highly recommend looking into the Crystal City DoubleTree by Hilton.

Room Tip: The hotel offers complimentary shuttles from the airport and the Crystal City Metro station.
1 Thank TheTravelPro_us
Thank you for the review. My apologies it was a little confusing as to where the entrance was located. Yes, I said was, because I am happy to say our main entrance is back open so it should not be confusing any longer! I am so glad that you found your recently renovated suite up to your expectations. We have heard nothing but very positive reviews on the decor and feel of our new rooms/suites.

I will take your suggestion on better lighting at the desk area to our General Manager so he can review this when future improvements are made. Recently, we made the decision to offer all Diamond members a full breakfast, rather than a continental breakfast. I am happy to read that you enjoyed this feature. I have never heard of a hotel that allowed a guest to turn in a HHonor coupon for something of equal value on the menu. I have passed this comment to the Director of Food & Beverage so he can consider this. It makes sense, but up until now I have not had that request. Zbi is an excellent employee and it is nice that although we do not have that option available he made it happen for you. The F&B Director will also be made aware of that comment so Zbi can be commended for his guest service skills.

I can not understand why the floor was not rotating when you were there. It is on every night and none of the servers can remember a recent night that it was not rotating. My apologies that you had that experience, but I am very confident that it will not be repeated. While the food is brought up from a kitchen on the lower floor, it should never be brought to a patron of the Skydome on the cart. The servers should always serve the food as you would expect in any restaurant. I agree, the view is awesome. No guest should be allowed to leave the hotel without experiencing the view from the Skydome.

The Lobby Bar will soon be reopening (by the end of April) and will be serving dinner. This is a nice alternative for our guests that do not want to dine in the Skydome.

I am sorry for the internet challenge on the first night. It was a hotel wide problem caused by a faulty switch at Verizon. Once it was identified and corrected all of our guests were back on line. I am glad you received my note & cookies and once again apologize for the lack of internet on the 1st night.

Thank you again for the review. It is nice that you left feeling so positive about your stay and willing to recommend us to others. We hope you return soon to see the finished product. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.