“A fair deal, but only with a discount and a good pair of shoes”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Mexico
“A fair deal, but only with a discount and a good pair of shoes”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I got a discount online for this hotel prepaid. It was great for the price I got (about a quarter of the rack rate), and in light of that it was a good deal. The room was clean and was nice and comfortable, though strangely arranged. The TV was great and was real HD that was actually adjusted, not like in some hotels.

The hotel was horribly located, however, and there were no reasonably priced eateries around unless one took the shuttle to the overcrowed touristy mall nearby. In fact, it was about five long blocks to any metro, supermarket, etc, though there was a small store that sold basic items fairly close.

The restaurant itself was way overpriced, though the breakfast buffet was an expensive, but convenient choice. There was a lot of construction, and things were tore up. This was very inconvenient if you arrived carrying bags, as no one was there to help me at first. There was one bellperson (wish I got his name) who was great but otherwise the service was uninspired and no one seemed very interested. Taxis seemed remarkably hard to come by even if they called one for you. There was supposed to be a "business center" which was standing at an old computer in the lobby. The printer was broken, and no one seemed to mind much the inconvenience it caused.

All and all, a good place to stay if you have to be in Crystal City, but if you are thinking of going to DC it seems isolated and rather removed. And bring a load of cash if you aren't out at mealtime, because there aren't many options around. But don't expect top-flight service and unless the price says "I can get a DC-area hotel for that?!Awesome deal!" it is probably not worth the trouble and you can do much better paying full price elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the lowest rates, which are found on our hotel website. I am glad toy enjoyed the room.

Judging by the previous reviews that rate the hotel location as a positive, I guess that is very subjective depending on your schedule. It is a great location when going to/coming from Reagan Airport as that is less than 2 miles away and complimentary shuttle is offered. The location to the Metro and Pentagon Fashion Centre Mall is a plus as again complimentary shuttle is offered or it is only a quick 3 block walk (7-10 minutes). The people attending meetings at the Pentagon enjoy the location as the hotel is across the street from the Pentagon. As for restaurants, there are plenty in the area aside from what is in the mall. The shuttle can drop guests at 23rd street and this is known as restaurant row. There are so many eateries to choose from ranging from ethnic, to sports pubs, to chains. Also, many guests enjoy Pentagon Row, which is located behind the mall. Some guests take the shuttle to the mall and walk the 10 minutes to Pentagon Row, or others take quick cab ride. Pentagon Row also offers differing dining options. I am sorry that you were not happy with the location, but I do hope that people reading my response will know there are alternative dining options in the area. Of course, I always recommend the Skydome as an option too as you can't beat that commute (right up the elevator).

I am happy to let everyone know the main entrance reopened. So the confusion should be significantly lessened. My apologies that no one was available to help with the bags. We typically have one or two valet attendants, 2-3 bellman and a bell captain on duty. I am glad someone became available and offered you a good service experience.

We do have a business center, but what you describe is not it. Those are our complimentary computers for guests that want to print boarding passes, check email, or surf the web. The business center is located around the corner from that and offers computers, a laptop hook up, printers, a fax, and copier. I can imagine that it was frustrating to have the printer not working and apologize this was the case. Also, I am sorry you found the staff unfriendly. This is not typical. I invite the readers to read the many recent reviews speaking highly of our employees guest service skills.

The hotel food prices are consistent with other area hotels menus. While this may have more expensive than you would have preferred, it is unlikely that you would be able to dine in a hotel for far less. We will work harder so that if you do return we can offer you the type of service you were expecting. Our goal is to satisfy every guest - everytime. We seem to have fell short of this goal with you and I hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City.

Thank you again for the review. We take all guest comments seriously and use them to improve. As always, i invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy travels --

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Would love to see a kitchenette style area to place food and Fridge. Otherwise Great room good size for Wash DC. Great Location for DCA airport.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for the review. I am so happy to read you had a great stay experience. Actually, our newly renovated rooms/suites do have refrigerators. We have refrigerators for our other rooms available upon request and as they are being renovated, new refrigerators will be put in.

The complimentary shuttle to Reagan (DCA ) Airport makes it be very convenient. I am glad you were able to take advantage of this.

Thank you again for the review and I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Got a good price for spring break and cherry blossom time. Consistent with Doubletree standards. Slept well. good bathroom. Small but neat room. Clean. A 2 block walk to the DC metro (yellow and blue lines). Picked the hotel for the pool -open, top floor with view, all clean and new. And for the metro connection - about $1.65 to 2.50 each way to get anywhere in the DC area quickly and safely. Many restaurants near hotel (one in hotel) and shopping. Quieter at night than downtown. Sadly, limited free internet which is true for many of the nicer hotels of Hilton, and Marriott. But there were at least 5 other local restaurants and coffee spots with free internet so you can do research on your next day's adventures and catch up on emails. Hotel registration and entry all under construction at this time, a bit confusing - should be nice upon completion.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ChuckOldBoy
Thank you for your review. It is nice to see that you had a positive stay experience. The Metro is a quick 3 block walk (7-10 minutes). However there is also a complimentary shuttle that runs in a continuous loop from 6am - 10pm (starts at 7am on weekends). It is a nice option, especially after a long day of sight seeing.

We do offer complimentary wireless internet in our lobby, Lobby Bar (reopening soon), and wired internet on the three computers located in the lobby.

I am happy to let everyone know that our main entrance has reopened so it is not as confusing as it was when an alternative entrance was being used. Please come back to see the finished product.

Thank you again for the review and as always I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 25, 2012

The DoubleTree hotel in Crystal City, Va., is a very nice hotel that is about to be even better

About 1/2 mile from the Pentagon City Metro station, this DoubleTree is currently undergoing a renovation, perhaps due to the recent rebranding of DoubleTree hotels as “DoubleTree by Hilton.”

Whatever the reason, the process has made the hotel’s entrance a bit difficult to find, but that’s temporary. It also is likely immaterial, as most guests arrive either by car, cab, or shuttle bus. Because of its distance, guests who arrive by Metro will likely want to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle bus that runs between the station and the hotel. Only those who know their way and don’t mind the walk will be hiking in.

For my recent three-night stay, the hotel put me in one of the suites that had already been upgraded and it was lovely, as these pictures confirm. Done in a contemporary style, the decor features fabrics with neutral tones against dark-colored furniture with angular lines, set off against lighter walls. Here and there, like the bed’s headboard, designers included pops of color.

The room has the usual amenities including in-room coffee, iron and ironing board, wireless internet access, robes upon request, and – because it was a suite – two flat-screen LG TVs. The suite included a small fridge where I could keep snacks or a bottle of wine (which I supplied myself, as minibars are quickly fading from the hospitality scene).

The tubular desk light, while attractive, was less than practical. Its design resulted in lot of glare when I was working on my laptop at the in-room work station. If you look closely at the picture below, you'll see what I mean. That particular feature could have been done better.

As a HiltonHHonors Diamond member, I was provided with certificates to the “continental” breakfast in the Café off the lobby. I put continental in quotes because it was actually a full buffet breakfast, which was better than most buffets I’ve experienced recently in my travels. There was a selection of juices, both pancakes and French toast, the usual breakfast meats, potatoes, croissant, and more.

Unlike many hotels, the DoubleTree would not allow me to apply the $18 value of the certificate to menu items, which were uniformly less expensive than the buffet, ranging from $12 to 15. However, my server Zbignew took excellent care of me. “I have connections,” he told me the first morning, and got me the freshly cooked eggs I was seeking. A great embodiment of two Hilton standards: leadership and ownership. (Among team members, HILTON is more than a name; it’s also an acronym for the service standards of “Hospitality, Integrity, Leadership, Teamwork, Ownership, Now”).

The hotel has a lounge on the 15th floor of the north tower that doubles as its nighttime restaurant. The Skydome Lounge looks like a holdover from a ‘70s disco: round, with a floor I’m told rotates (though it didn’t the night I was there), a very small bar, and food prepared in the kitchen a floor below.

Food is delivered on a cart with plates covered, a la room service. Having to bring the food up in an elevator surely makes the operation less efficient, and serving food from a cart is a little strange. The lounge does feature a spectacular, sweeping view, stretching from the Pentagon (literally across the street; OK, across I-395) to the DC skyline that includes National Cathedral, the Washington Monument, the Jefferson Memorial, and the Capitol.

Hopefully, renovations will include updating this facility or perhaps expanding operations at the Cafe to include dinner service. Currently, except for the Skydome and room service, guests have to go off-property for dinner.

While the new furnishings are pleasant and, once completed, will no doubt upgrade the feel of the entire property, service is where the DoubleTree really shines.

Everyone was professional and attentive. I don’t believe I passed a team member, from maintenance to management, who didn’t proffer a “good morning,” “how are you, sir?” or other greeting.

Service was equally efficient. I requested a bathrobe when I arrived in my room, and it was at my door in minutes.

Personnel also deal with problems quite professionally. The first day I was there, the wireless Internet access was extremely slow. I reported it to the manager, who looked into it and assured me that it had been a temporary problem, and that it had been fixed (as indeed it had). As a follow-up, he sent a handwritten note to my room apologizing for the inconvenience, and included a tin of those famous DoubleTree cookies.

The hotel runs complimentary shuttles to and from Reagan National Airport, the Metro station, and the Fashion Mall adjacent to the Metro station, so it’s easy to get from point A to B, even without a car.

If you’re traveling to the Washington, DC area, I highly recommend looking into the Crystal City DoubleTree by Hilton.

Room Tip: The hotel offers complimentary shuttles from the airport and the Crystal City Metro station.
1 Thank TheTravelPro_us
Thank you for the review. My apologies it was a little confusing as to where the entrance was located. Yes, I said was, because I am happy to say our main entrance is back open so it should not be confusing any longer! I am so glad that you found your recently renovated suite up to your expectations. We have heard nothing but very positive reviews on the decor and feel of our new rooms/suites.

I will take your suggestion on better lighting at the desk area to our General Manager so he can review this when future improvements are made. Recently, we made the decision to offer all Diamond members a full breakfast, rather than a continental breakfast. I am happy to read that you enjoyed this feature. I have never heard of a hotel that allowed a guest to turn in a HHonor coupon for something of equal value on the menu. I have passed this comment to the Director of Food & Beverage so he can consider this. It makes sense, but up until now I have not had that request. Zbi is an excellent employee and it is nice that although we do not have that option available he made it happen for you. The F&B Director will also be made aware of that comment so Zbi can be commended for his guest service skills.

I can not understand why the floor was not rotating when you were there. It is on every night and none of the servers can remember a recent night that it was not rotating. My apologies that you had that experience, but I am very confident that it will not be repeated. While the food is brought up from a kitchen on the lower floor, it should never be brought to a patron of the Skydome on the cart. The servers should always serve the food as you would expect in any restaurant. I agree, the view is awesome. No guest should be allowed to leave the hotel without experiencing the view from the Skydome.

The Lobby Bar will soon be reopening (by the end of April) and will be serving dinner. This is a nice alternative for our guests that do not want to dine in the Skydome.

I am sorry for the internet challenge on the first night. It was a hotel wide problem caused by a faulty switch at Verizon. Once it was identified and corrected all of our guests were back on line. I am glad you received my note & cookies and once again apologize for the lack of internet on the 1st night.

Thank you again for the review. It is nice that you left feeling so positive about your stay and willing to recommend us to others. We hope you return soon to see the finished product. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

West Virginia
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I booked my reservation with Doubletree in Crystal City online through their website. I selected the package that included tickets for Madame Tussaud's wax museum and a set of metro passes for each guest. (Sidenote: On the website the description says each guest, but somewhere within the text of the reservation it did specify it applies to each registered adult guest. However, if that misunderstanding on my part was the worst of my stay, I think I will be just fine). After I made the reservations, I followed up a few days later with Terrence by phone to be certain that we could check our luggage before our room was ready and also pick it up after we had checked out. Their pool was closed due to an unscheduled repair that was needed, but we were only in town for one evening and wouldn't have had time to swim in any case. Additionally, the website had given me the heads up about the problem and Terrence told me the Embassy Suites close by was allowing the use of their pool for Doubletree guests. I also checked about a dress code or kid friendliness of their Skydome restaurant. I knew I would only have tennis shoes and a couple of seven year old girls... I was assured that during the work week it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, time slipped away from us and we didn't get to experience that treat. Perhaps, next time.

We arrived at the Crystal City metro station. If I had payed closer attention, I would have definitely used the free shuttle available at the Pentagon City station, just up the escalator and to the left. We did walk with our luggage the three and half blocks with the two little girls, so I definitely will pay more attention to those details going forward.

At the hotel itself, there was some construction that made it just a little confusing for our travel weary minds to determine where the main entrance was, but the signs were clear enough once we had a chance to rest. We checked our bags and caught a cab to the National Zoo. By the time we returned our room was ready (and boy were we glad because we were exhausted! We still hadn't clued in to the location of the shuttle. That was totally on me... ) Daniel at the front desk was extremely friendly. Our room was 617, which he explained was quite a bit larger than some of the other rooms. Since we were booked for a city view, he made sure to tell us that he could move us up several flights if we would like, after looking at the room. I opted for the larger room. They are remodeling, and the room we stayed in was not one of the recently remodeled rooms, but it was clean, spacious, and the view was truly lovely. The bellman brought our bags up, Alexis at the front desk arranged to have our tickets available for us, and we did get information about the metro shuttle at that time. We made use of it for our trip back to Union Station for a twilight bus tour. (Daniel at the front desk was very helpful in my search for the business center to print out the etickets). The shuttle drivers were friendly, timely, and the shuttles themselves were comfortable and clean. The well labeled waiting area was also clean, well lit, and comfortable.

At no time, did we encounter any noise or inconvenience from the construction that was going on inside the hotel.

The following morning, we checked our bags again with the bellman and grabbed the shuttle to check out Madame Tussaud's. We were able to explore the city, come back to collect our luggage, and return to the Union Station to our train back to WV with no problems. The very helpful bellman, Habid or Ahmed (he told us his name outside and I didn't quite catch it), was so kind. He even brought us all a cookie as we waited for the last shuttle.

I don't travel often. I always look for a good deal. My main concerns are safety, cleanliness, and comfort. All of our needs were met. The staff was kind. We had an awesome, albeit short, stay. Thank you, Doubletree! We will certainly stay again!

Room Tip: The metro day pass is only good from 9am to the end of the operating day. If you have a package that...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank purplecowz
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you had a positive stay experience. On your next visit you definitely need to get up to the Skydome; even if just to look out at the fantastic view. Well worth it and I am sorry you did not get a chance to visit on this trip, but it sounds like you had a packed agenda. I am happy to let everyone know the pool has reopened!

I cam imagine how tired the kids were after the zoo visit. it is a lot of walking, but it is an excellent zoo and the price can not be beat (it is free!). The shuttle from the Pentagon City Metro Station absolutely comes in handy after a long day of sight seeing.

It is so nice to see that you had so many positive interactions with the staff. We work very hard to make sure each guest leaves happy with a good impression of not only the hotel, but also the staff.

We look forward to your next visit and we too hope it is longer! Thank you again for the review. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We chose the hotel based on price and proximity to the metro station. At check in the agent was polite and smiling but knew nothing about the Hilton rewards program, I don't need an expert but the staff should be able to answer basic questions or be a little more tactful than, "I really don't know anything about that." That doesn't represent management well. We also found at check in the pool was out of service, not their fault yet disappointing. Also, beware, the parking fee is exorbitant. Around $30! Not a biggie but they really nickle and dime you considering Internet has a fee as well. The room was clean and comfy but a little shabby, two of the lamps were malfunctioning, the bedside lamp had a short and the bulb fixture in the stand-up lamp for the entire room was broken and just kinda hanging in the lamp, though it did work. The wall paper in the bathroom was also peeling and the phone in the bathroom did not work. Not that I really care or use these items but a Hilton property, I would expect, should have far greater preventitive maintenance on the items I mentioned. When you pay for the Hilton name you expect a higher service commitment. Overall, my wife and I were pleased but we did notice a handful of shortcomings at this property. However, the staff are very nice and the hotel is clean. I would return.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank tripmantrav
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am sorry that the agent was not able to answer your questions on HHonors. You are correct that the agents should be able to answer the basic questions on the program. I will share your comment with the Director of Front Office so she can go over the program with her staff. If you still have questions, please feel free to contact me so I can try and answer them for you.

I can understand why the pool being closed for an unscheduled fix was disappointing. We are hoping it reopens this week. My apologies that it was closed during your visit. In all honesty, it is not correct to label our parking prices as exorbitant without knowing the area costs. The average hotel parking price in Arlington is $25.00 and ours is $23.00. There is a valet option for $28, but self park is $23. I can understand why if a guest comes from an area that does not charge for parking why there would be sticker shock seeing the parking charges. However, there is not a hotel lot that I am familiar with in Arlington that offers complimentary parking; even the shopping malls charge for parking. If you found our parking price high, you would have been floored by the cost of lots inside DC as there are hotels that charge as high as $45 per night. Also, keep in mind the parking charge is listed on the reservation confirmation and also on line. We do not hide it as we do not want our guests to be surprised. I am sorry you found this charge to be high.

The choice to charge for the Internet is not one made at the hotel, but at the Corporate level. Hilton Worldwide has decided to charge for the Internet at all full service properties (Doubletree, Hilton, and Embassy Suites). This is the same decision made at all major hotel chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc) as they too charge for the Internet at all full service hotels. We do offer complimentary wireless Internet in the lobby & Lobby Bar (when it reopens) and have computers in the lobby that offer wired Internet. Starting in June, our business center will also begin offering this complimentary.

My apologies for the condition of the room. The Director of Housekeeping and Engineering will be made aware. The light bulbs should have been replaced prior to check in. I am glad you indicated you would return as we would love to have you back. Please advise me prior to your arrival and I will try to upgrade you to one of our newly renovated suites. I am confident you will find that the room condition of these suites exceed your expectations.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone that reads my responses to contact me anytime.

Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Had a good experience at the Double Tree. Walking distance from the Pentagon City Mall and Metro station. Paint smells from the construction were unpleasant but the hotel staff was very helpful. Skydome lounge was a nice place to unwind and enjoy a meal.

Room Tip: ask for a room that overlooks DC sights
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am glad you were able to enjoy the short walk (7-10 minutes) to the Pentagon City Metro Station & Shopping mall. Of course, after a tough day of sight seeing some may prefer the shuttle, which is complimentary and runs on a continuous loop from 7am - 10:00pm.

My apologies for the paint smells. We have worked hard to minimize this by having more air movement through fans & vents as well as nice smelling air fresheners. I am happy to let you know that being the renovation process is almost over this will not be a challenge moving forward. I do want to point out that this is only the 2nd comment I have received on the paint smells since the renovation began.

Thank you for the kind comments on the staff and the Skydome. I really believe there is no better place to unwind then the Skydome. The views are fantastic, the revolving lounge is unique, and the staff is friendly. I always recommend every guest goes up there, even if not to eat or drink, but just to see the views.

I appreciate the review and as always, I invite anyone that reads my responses to contact me anytime.