“Nice, but a few unpleasant surprises.”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We chose the hotel based on price and proximity to the metro station. At check in the agent was polite and smiling but knew nothing about the Hilton rewards program, I don't need an expert but the staff should be able to answer basic questions or be a little more tactful than, "I really don't know anything about that." That doesn't represent management well. We also found at check in the pool was out of service, not their fault yet disappointing. Also, beware, the parking fee is exorbitant. Around $30! Not a biggie but they really nickle and dime you considering Internet has a fee as well. The room was clean and comfy but a little shabby, two of the lamps were malfunctioning, the bedside lamp had a short and the bulb fixture in the stand-up lamp for the entire room was broken and just kinda hanging in the lamp, though it did work. The wall paper in the bathroom was also peeling and the phone in the bathroom did not work. Not that I really care or use these items but a Hilton property, I would expect, should have far greater preventitive maintenance on the items I mentioned. When you pay for the Hilton name you expect a higher service commitment. Overall, my wife and I were pleased but we did notice a handful of shortcomings at this property. However, the staff are very nice and the hotel is clean. I would return.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank tripmantrav
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Thank you for the review. I am sorry that the agent was not able to answer your questions on HHonors. You are correct that the agents should be able to answer the basic questions on the program. I will share your comment with the Director of Front Office so she can go over the program with her staff. If you still have questions, please feel free to contact me so I can try and answer them for you.

I can understand why the pool being closed for an unscheduled fix was disappointing. We are hoping it reopens this week. My apologies that it was closed during your visit. In all honesty, it is not correct to label our parking prices as exorbitant without knowing the area costs. The average hotel parking price in Arlington is $25.00 and ours is $23.00. There is a valet option for $28, but self park is $23. I can understand why if a guest comes from an area that does not charge for parking why there would be sticker shock seeing the parking charges. However, there is not a hotel lot that I am familiar with in Arlington that offers complimentary parking; even the shopping malls charge for parking. If you found our parking price high, you would have been floored by the cost of lots inside DC as there are hotels that charge as high as $45 per night. Also, keep in mind the parking charge is listed on the reservation confirmation and also on line. We do not hide it as we do not want our guests to be surprised. I am sorry you found this charge to be high.

The choice to charge for the Internet is not one made at the hotel, but at the Corporate level. Hilton Worldwide has decided to charge for the Internet at all full service properties (Doubletree, Hilton, and Embassy Suites). This is the same decision made at all major hotel chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc) as they too charge for the Internet at all full service hotels. We do offer complimentary wireless Internet in the lobby & Lobby Bar (when it reopens) and have computers in the lobby that offer wired Internet. Starting in June, our business center will also begin offering this complimentary.

My apologies for the condition of the room. The Director of Housekeeping and Engineering will be made aware. The light bulbs should have been replaced prior to check in. I am glad you indicated you would return as we would love to have you back. Please advise me prior to your arrival and I will try to upgrade you to one of our newly renovated suites. I am confident you will find that the room condition of these suites exceed your expectations.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone that reads my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Had a good experience at the Double Tree. Walking distance from the Pentagon City Mall and Metro station. Paint smells from the construction were unpleasant but the hotel staff was very helpful. Skydome lounge was a nice place to unwind and enjoy a meal.

Room Tip: ask for a room that overlooks DC sights
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am glad you were able to enjoy the short walk (7-10 minutes) to the Pentagon City Metro Station & Shopping mall. Of course, after a tough day of sight seeing some may prefer the shuttle, which is complimentary and runs on a continuous loop from 7am - 10:00pm.

My apologies for the paint smells. We have worked hard to minimize this by having more air movement through fans & vents as well as nice smelling air fresheners. I am happy to let you know that being the renovation process is almost over this will not be a challenge moving forward. I do want to point out that this is only the 2nd comment I have received on the paint smells since the renovation began.

Thank you for the kind comments on the staff and the Skydome. I really believe there is no better place to unwind then the Skydome. The views are fantastic, the revolving lounge is unique, and the staff is friendly. I always recommend every guest goes up there, even if not to eat or drink, but just to see the views.

I appreciate the review and as always, I invite anyone that reads my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Was here for a convention on a master bill so I don’t know the rate that was paid. Hotel is located about a 5-10 minute walk to The Pentagon City Mall and Metro Station. They run free a shuttle to the mall every 30 minutes or so, but its an easy walk so never used the shuttle. Both the Smithsonian museums and DCA airport are only two metro stops away (in opposite directions) from the Pentagon City Metro stop. So if you are flying into DC to see the sights, shop, and don’t want to take a cab or rent a car, this hotel is ideally located. I think they have a free shuttle bus to the airport too.

The property was exactly what you’d expect from a Sheraton, Doubletree, Marriott, Hilton, or other business hotel anywhere in the world. No surprises, totally predictable and generic, but easy! Room was clean and well-maintained, front desk service was prompt and cordial. No rants, no raves.

The hotel is currently under renovation so not all the public spaces were open. The rooftop pool was drained so couldn’t use that but the hotel gym was freshly renovated and well equipped. The gym had about 4 elliptical trainer, 5 treadmills, some stair climbers and a host of circuit machines and free weights, far better than most hotels in this class. I didn’t eat at any of the hotel’s restaurants so can’t comment on those amenities.

If you are looking for character or romance, look elsewhere. But if you just want well-maintained, safe accommodations in a good location this is a decent option.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank globedecker
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Thank you for your review. While I am happy you had a good experience, I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. We are working on setting our hotel apart from the competition and hope you will return for another stay. As you can tell from other reviews, our staff typically receives high marks, but I am sorry they seemed generic to you. It is good feedback and will most definitely work on that.

I am glad the weather cooperated to allow you to enjoy the quick walk to the Metro. yes, you are correct, along with the complimentary shuttle to the Metro/Mall, we offer one to Reagan Airport too.

The fitness center is the largest fitness room of any single hotel in the area. Being we are the closest hotel to the Pentagon, we know how important it is to our guests to be able to get a powerful daily work out.

Thank you again for the review. As always, I invite anyone reading this response to contact me anytime.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

My experience at the DoubleTree was excellent. I reserved a king deluxe suite w/ balcony for valentine's day at a good price (through one of their specials). What I was impressed with most is how clean the room was and the bathroom was spotless. I usually where shower shoes when I go to hotels but this particular room seem like it was brand new. The room came with a nice size minifridge, microwave, sink, and had a big spacious balcony. The only problem I had with the balcony was privacy issues. Everybody could see what I am doing and I had a great view into other rooms.
My boyfriend and I visited the Skydome to have drinks and eat.He loved his Long Island and the food was good too. The Skydome just put the icing on the cake because the floor rotates and you can see some parts of dc.
I will recommend this hotel to anybody, especially the suites.
Also, like any other hotel, you have to pay to park- $28 per day for valet or $23 per day to self park.

Room Tip: Reserve a Suite
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amber S

Thank you for your review. I am so happy we were able to help make Valentine's Day a special one for you & your boyfriend. It is nice to read you enjoyed the new suite and the amenities it offered.

The balconies all face Reagan Airport and offer nice views of Washington DC, Reagan Airport, and the Potomac River. Next to the hotel is a condominium (not owned by the hotel) and if you look to the side you can see the building.

There is no where in the area that can offer the same awesome experience that the Skydome can. It is truely unique. The rotating floor along with the fantastic iews of all the DC monuments, Reagan Airport, the Pentagon, and the Potomac River offer a stunning backdrop to a very nice meal. I really recommend all of our guests go up there; even if not to eat or drink, but just to take in the view.

Thank you again for the review and the great recommendations. We hope you return soon and as always I invite anyone reading this response to contact me anytime.

Happy travels --

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Made business trip to Washington DC, and as is my habit, I stayed at the Doubletree near Crystal City. While not immediately next to a Metro Station, I like the Doubletree because of it's central location-- I can walk to a metro in 5 minutes, go to nearby Pentagon City Mall quickly, walk to the Pentagon, and hit the restaurants of Crystal City very easily.

The staff and the location are what keeps me coming back to this hotel-- the staff is always super friendly, willing to go the extra mile. The views from many of the rooms are superb, and the view from the Skydome lounge (a revolving pub on top of the hotel) is outstanding. Downsides? The DT attracts a lot of groups of teenagers from across the country visiting the capital, so you need to have patience dealing with the jams in front of the elevators, etc. Also, lots of construction going on for my past few visits e.g. you can't get directly from one part of the hotel to another without taking two elevator rides. Not supposed to be over until next summer, so could be a while.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JohnHMapleValley_WA

Thank you for your response. We appreciate you returning and I agree, the location is a very good one. We get a lot of people walking to the Pentagon each morning, the Metro station all day, and the Pentagon Fashion Centre Mall. Keep in mind though, our shuttle will also take guests to the Metro & Mall (as well as Reagan Airport).

I am glad you enjoyed the views. Again, I agree that views can be stunning. I have not found a better view of DC then those found from our view rooms and especially from the Skydome.

Good news, I am not sure what lead you to believe that the renovations are not to be over until next summer, but that is not the case. The lobby project should be completed by the end of March, 2012. I am unaware of any other planned renovation projects in 2012. So only one more month to go!!

We look forward to your return and if you do not read my response, then you will be pleasantly surprised that the renovations are done. Of course, I hope anyone reading this will come to see the freshest, newest product in Crystal City. As always, I invite anyone reading this to contact me anytime.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Where do I begin to review this NIGHTMARE of a hotel?

1. When we checked in I asked about the pool because have 3 small children who were very excited to go swimming. We were told that the pool was closed due to an "emergency"?? And would not be open the next day either.

2. I pre-paid our reservation and when I made the reservation I specifically asked if it would be possible to reserve 2 double bed adjoining allergy pure rooms. The person who took my reservation said that she checked and yes, we would have that. When we actually checked in, I asked again to make sure that was the case. I was told that yes, we had 2 adjoining allergy pure (My son and I have allergies and I have asthma) rooms w/ double beds. When we got to the first room - there was no adjoining door. Called the front desk and they said "oh - it shows on our system that they are adjoining." Then I was told that they didn't have anymore adjoining allergy pure rooms, but they had 2 adjoining rooms down the hall from the comedy club. At this point I asked if we could just have our $ back and go somewhere else. I was told that because we pre-paid, we could not have our $ back. So, my husband went with the manager to look at the rooms and because they were adjoining (which we needed w/ 3 small children) we moved.

3. The rooms were ok, they had a nice view of the city, but that's about all they had going for them. The baseboards were falling apart, the carpet was stained, the windows were dirty and dusty and the ceiling in one of the bathrooms looked like it was coming apart. And, there was loud music from the comedy club I assume - I couldn't sleep it was so loud. I think they are in the middle of remodling the hotel - we were not told this, but it looked like it, so maybe that was the reason for the crappy looking rooms? I definitely expected better from a Hilton Hotel. Oh, and the manager told my husband that someone would be up with extra sheets for the fold out sofa, but no one ever showed up with those. The next morning we did receive free breakfast coupons and a letter of apology for the mess with the rooms.

4. This is the worst part.....the next morning I was taking a cold shower - yes cold, there was NO hot water at all in either shower, and I looked up and saw a freaking COCKROACH! I am not joking, a cockroach! A HUGE freaking disgusting roach! I had shampoo in my hair, but I got out of there fast as I could while screaming and calling for my husband!

5. I called the front desk and spoke with the manager named Adita. She said she would send someone up to remove our unwanted guest. After about 10 minutes no one showed up. I called again, and about 5 minutes later two security guards came and removed the cockroach. The security guard told me he would try to get us some more breakfast coupons for our inconvenience. I told him that we would not be eating there. If there was a cockroach in our room....who knows what was in the kitchen???! GROSS!

6. When we went to check out - right after the cockroach incident - I was told by the manager, Adita that we would be reimbursed for our room charges. I asked for this in writing, she said she would send an email out to me and to all the other managers. I wrote down my email address for her, but asked again if I could have something in writing at the moment from her. She assured me that she would send me an email. Well, 2 days later and 2 phone calls later, I have no email. I called and spoke with her 2 times since and each time she said she would be sending me an email. Still no email and the charge still remains on my credit card. She said that the hotel would be sending me a check in the mail for the reimbursement, which I don't understand since I initially paid for it with my credit card. I am so BEYOND disappointed with this hotel. Stay far FAR away from this place!

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel, not this one.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank rachk73
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience. Based on the account you give, I can understand why you would warn other to stay away, but I ask that anybody reading this review also take into account the many positive reviews we have received. This is an unfortunate experience, but one that is not even close to a typical stay experience.

Unfortunately the pool did need to be closed for an immediate emergency repair. It was not something that was planned, but something that is needed to keep our guests safe. We understand how frustrating this can be and closing the pool was the last resort, but it could not be avoided.

I am sorry that the allergy rooms were not adjoining as promised. There was an error in the computer system that labeled two non adjoining rooms as adjoining and this was the cause. I wish there were other allergy PURE rooms available to offer, but unfortunately there were none. Again, I understand why this would be frustrating for your family.

We are working towards making hotel improvements to avoid guests being disappointed with their rooms. I have passed your comments to the Director of Property Operations and the Director of Housekeeping so that they can inspect and fix the two rooms you used. Aside from renovations, our property operations team works proactively to keep the rooms in good working order, so I am surprised that the bathroom was in such poor shape. We checked the guest logs from the guests that have stayed in those rooms previously and do not have any complaints. Based on your descriptions of the rooms that too is surprising, but I thank you for letting me know so any challenges can be addressed immediately.

We have a very aggressive pest control plan and sightings are extremely rare. The company we use is very proactive in making sure there is not a pest problem in the hotel. I am sorry for the sighting. I can tell how upsetting this was for you and I am sorry you had this experience. Again, I ask the readers of this review/response to also read other responses to know there is not a pest problem in the hotel. Thankfully, this unfortunate incident is an isolated one.

Edita is very responsive to guests. Edita did speak to you the day after check out and then also sent an email that night (@ 8:30pm) to confirm. She copied her superiors on the email so I know it was sent. I am unsure why it has not been received as the email address is the same as the one in your HHonor profile.

I can understand why you would have a question as to why the card can not be directly credited. The reason a check needs to be sent out with a prepaid reservation is because the charge to your card did not take place at the hotel. A prepaid reservation is billed by a 3rd party on another website or by the brand (Doubletree) on our website. The payment collected is passed onto the hotel. Being we did not directly charge your card we can not credit the card. When Edita spoke to you the day after check out, she confirmed the amount to be paid and the address to send the check to. I see Edita also deposited HHonor points into your account as an apology for the disappointing stay.

Once again I thank you for the review and I am terribly sorry for the challenges you had during your stay. I realize your experience was poor, but I do hope you return so we will have the opportunity to work towards restoring your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. Again, this stay experience is not typical as the large majority of our guests leave happy and wanting to return.

As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

After a long flight from Britain check in was relatively easy, but due to on going renovations the public areas are very disjointed. The room itself was large with all the facilities you would expect in a hotel room. Despite there being 4 people booked into the room, we were provided with 3 sets of towels and 3 coffee cups.

Staff on the reception desk were very difficult and everything seemed to be a chore to them. as there was no safe in the room we used a safety deposit box provided by reception, however when we asked to access the security box we had to wait for over half an hour.

As we were travelling as a part of a school group, every request we made we were told that authorization was needed from the group leader. this put a big downer on our stay, as we were fully paying guests like everyone else.

The location of the hotel was one of the reasons for choosing it - its great, a short walk or free shuttle bus to the nearest metro and you can be in the centre of Washington in 15 minutes.

All in all, the hotel is in a great location with excellent views, but unfortunately the it is let down by staff who appear to be in the wrong job.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hartley95
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Thank you for the review. My apologies that your group had a challenge with some of the staff. We had had the pleasure if working with your group for many years and up until now I have heard nothing but positive comments. I do hope, based on the history of success, you will realize this type of experience is not the norm. We work hard to please every guest and feel bad that we let you down.

I am sorry for the delay in getting to the safety deposit boxes. There is usually no wait, as the boxes are located directly next to the front desk. However, during the lobby portion of the renovation, the desk was moved to another location; so accessing them was not as easy and I am sorry this inconvenienced you. We tried to make it as convenient as possible. The good news is that today the front desk was moved back into the lobby as it was partially opened. It looks fantastic! Also, our renovated rooms/suites are being built with in room safes so the need to safety deposit boxes will be minimal.

Thank you for mentioning the positives about the location and views. We hope your group will return next year so we can restore the faith that there has been in the staff. Thank you again for your review and as always, I invite anyone reading this response to contact me anytime.