“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
San Jose, California
“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

My daughter and I had planned this trip for over a year, her first time in DC, my third. We prepaid for this hotel over four months prior, and was treated to the worst treatment, I have ever had.

1. Our phone rang, at 10 pm and 2 am, every night we were there. We ended up taking it off the hook for our last three nights.

2. A light in our room, after it was turned off, flashed and turned back on.
(Called maintenance about the light and the phone and was told that nothing was wrong. )

3. On the night before we left, the front desk sent up security, to take me down to the front desk as there was a charge of $24.00 due. I did not open the door, but called the front desk, and was told i could pay in the morning, when we checked out. (WTH?)

4. Got up the next morning, went to have breakfast, came back to our room, and the door had been locked by the front desk, and it took security to open up the door. And when my daughter said that she had left something in the room, she went back to the room, and still was not able to get in.

Can you say horrible service and a possibly haunted room. Never stay at this hotel and if you have no choice, do not stay in room # 767.

Room Tip: Our room had electical shorts that made the lights go on and off and locked of our room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Melva M
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thank you for your review. I'd be happy to have you contact me directly. The occurances in your room are very unusual and this is the first I have ever heard of anything like the phone ringing at set times and the lights flashing on/off. I did check the guest inquiry log fro room 767 and do not see other guests having mentioned this. To my knowledge, room 767 is not haunted, but I have passed on your note to the Director of Property Operations for follow up. Please contact me so I can get some more information and offer you a return certificate. I am confident that if given another opportunity, you will see your stay was far from the norm.

Of course I invite anyone reading this to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Boston
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Selected this hotel due to its proximity to Reagan National Airport and the Metro subway station. Free shuttle pickup at the airport was about a 20 minute wait.

After an easy checking, we were placed in a room with a view towards the Pentagon, the Jefferson Memorial and the Washington Monument. Wonderful views. The room was quiet, clean and fairly spacious. The bed was comfortable with the TV facing us as we propped up at the headboard. Too many other places now place the TV off to the side and it makes for challenging TV watching. We experienced no problems with the room or its cleanliness.

Although shuttle service is available, walking to local restaurants, the mall, and the Metro are easily accomplished in 10 minutes. A good 20 minute walk will take you to the Italian restaurant section of town with many good choices available. We went to one recommended by the front desk that turned out to be very good - and not all that expensive.

For a special night out we asked for a recommendation to dine. Ruth's Chris Steak House became our destination - about a 10 minute ride from the hotel. The views looking towards the Capital Building and Reagan Airport were terrific as was the food.

All in all this hotel turned out to be exactly what we wanted. A reasonable room rate, free shuttle service to local destinations, and all the amenities anyone could want. The lobby computers for guests can get tied up during busy check in/checkout times, but work just fine. They are stand up computer stands. If you plan to use their computers, be aware that anyone in the lobby area will be able to see the screen.

Next time in DC, we would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Thank you for your review. It is nice to see you had an enjoyable stay. It seems we met and exceeded your expectations in many aspects of the hotel. You are correct, the location of the hotel is perfect. No hotel can beat the views of Washington DC that the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City has. I just walked to the Pentagon Fashion Center mall today - 8 minutes and took the shuttle back. The convenience of having both options is very appreciated by our guests. We will work hard to make your next stay just as enjoyable.

I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I spent the night in this room for 2 nights. The second morning I woke up there was a beetle in the bed and when I went to turn on the light there was a tick. I called the manager of house keeping and they came right up. Security and housekeeping were in my room checking for more bugs. They tore the bed apart and there was an infestation of ticks. I was tramatized and frantically looking through my suitcase and checking my body for ticks and sure enough I found a couple. There are so many more nicer newer hotels in Crystal City. Fair warning... check your room OH and underneath the bed skirt in the mattress because that where they were hiding!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JN1356
Thank you for the review. We have a very strong and aggressive pest control program. The outside vendor is out routinely and sightings are rare. I hope a reader of this review will realize this, by recognizing the lack of comments on bugs in other reviews. Unfortunately, every hotel has challenges from time to time, but I am very confident in saying there is not a hotel wide issue. When a sighting does occur, the room is placed out of order and treated by the pest company. I am very sorry you had this experience and can definitely understand your reluctance to return. However, should you choose to, please let me know ahead of time so we can try to make it up to you.

I invite anyone to contact me at anytime.

Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Near Reagan Airport, with complimentary shuttle. Walk to restaurants. Great view of the D.C. skyline, including the Capitol and Washington Monument. Comfortable rooms and good service. The hotel is a bit worn but is beginning an extensive update and renovation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. It is great to read that you had such a positive stay. Thank you for referencing the renovation project as our owners are committed to improving the hotel quality. Again the best part about the current renovation is it is so unobtrusive that had there not been signs out alerting guests and pictures showing the new rooms, most guests would not even know a renovation was going on. The views are awesome and even though I see them everyday, I am always amazed at what I see.

I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Hudson, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I was given a room on the 7th floor overlooking the Pentagon and other landmarks I walked in the room to find that the bathroom had been used and not cleaned.............. The hotel reception changed my room unfortunately the rooms again was not as clean as I would have liked especially the bathroom and carpet .

Bed was comfy as I would have expected coffee machine microwave and fridge in my room but not standard .

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thank you for the email. My apologies for the condition of your rooms. The bathroom being unclean is not acceptable and will be looked in to as I have passed your comment to the Director of Housekeeping.

Coffee Machines & Coffee should be in each room. The hotel is currently renovating the rooms and afterwards all rooms will have microwaves/refrigerators. However, right now they are available upon request.

I do hope you will return and please contact me so we can try to make up for failing you on this recent stay. We learn a lot from these comments and use them to improve. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We arrived at the DoubleTree for a our first stay in Washington and we were not disappointed! The staff were very friendly and helped us with our bags and once we had checked in we got a free cookie which I have never heard of before, but it was very nice.

The hotel itself is in a great location for Reegan Airport, we sadly flew in to Dulles but this is only because Virgin fly there and all the best hotels are in Arlington. Took us a while to get there but that's not the hotels fault, if we had arrived at Reegan the shuttle bus would of got us. Speaking of the shuttle bus it also takes you to the Pentagon Mall which in the summer heat is a welcomed relief, but its very easy to walk and takes like 5 minutes. The Mall is great for shopping (espeically Macy's) and they have lots of restaurants there as well.

The hotel was very clean and the lobby had free computers and printers to use which was great. The room we had was very clean and even though they are doing some work on the hotel we had no idea and didn't hear a thing. Some other people have said noise was a problem, again we heard nothing and had a great nights sleep for all of the 3 nights we were there. The pool on the 14th floor was great and had great views of the area, and the restaurants was very nice as well although a little expensive.

I would gladly stay here again, and as Virgin left my baggage in England they provided me with replacements and took my bag to my room once it arrived 3 days later via Fedex. This is a fantastic Hotel, with great flat screen TV's, super soft beds and although I never got her name the lady at the concierge desk had a wicked sense of humor and provided us with loads of things to do and even gave us free tickets to the top of the Washington Monument! Overall, amazing and I would gladly stay here again if I was ever in Washington. Would recommend to everyone!

Room Tip: Book through Virgin Holidays well in advance as that's how you get the best discounts!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. Wow, what it is so great to read all about your positive experience. I am so glad your trip to the DC Metro area was made better because of your stay with us. That is awesome that you got to go to the top of the Monument. I guess, perhaps that could be the only view of the nation's capitol that rivals the view from the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. We look forward to your return and thank you for recommending us. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy travels --

Reviewed August 6, 2011

I write this at 5 a.m. after trying to sleep since 11 p.m. In addition to the room being unbearably hot and filthy, I've heard loud noises from the hallway and next door, including talking, moving about, televisions and even a room phone that keeps ringing all night.

When I finally called the front desk to complain after 6 hours of torture, the guy who answered the phone could only say that they have 650 rooms and rarely get a complaint. That doesn't help me! Plus, after reading other reviews, others obviously have the same complaint.

The front desk clerk finally said maybe the manager can move me when he gets here at 7 a.m. ... for a fee (of course)!

Don't waste your time or money with this very sub-par hotel and staff.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank MandysMommy
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that you had a challenge with noise in the hallways and surrounding rooms. As with any hotel, this happens from time to time. However the response you write that you received is unacceptable. I am asking that you contact me so I can get more details. We will absolutely follow up with the agent you spoke to. Any noise complaint should have security sent right up and an apology offered. You mention you were offered to move rooms for a fee. I have never heard of a charge to move rooms. We have guests change rooms for all types of reasons and unless an upgrade is requested this is the very first time I have heard a guest being told there is a fee associated with the move. Again I ask you to contact me so I can get more details.

Also concerning is your claim the room was filthy. As readers can see from the past reviews, this is very unusual. Most travelers find that while the product is older (being updated as we speak!), the rooms and public space are clean. If you contact me we can follow up with the housekeeper. I apologize for the poor stay experience you had.

I invite not only this reviewer, but all readers of my responses to contact me anytime. Also I ask that people reading this negative review to read others and see this unfortunate experience is far from the norm.