WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hilton Garden Inn Reagan National Airport Hotel

Hilton Garden Inn Reagan National Airport Hotel
Ranked #36 of 50 Hotels in Arlington
packerbacker04
“Acceptable given price, but not Radisson Quality”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

I am writing this just before I check out, and I have had a mixed experience. The room is dated but clean, and I like to stay at Radissons because of their free internet policy. The bed was also OK, and while breakfast was overpriced, it was also fine. The price was the room itself was a reasonable weekend rate. The hotel is also only a few blocks from the metro station. So so far, nothing special but I also didn't pay a mint to pay.

There were, however, three sore points. First, no one cleans up the hall after room service. There is something that has been sitting out there overnight, and the whole corridor reeks. I do not think this is an isolated problem--there were wine glasses in front of my door when I checked in that are still there when I check out.

The second was the attitude of the guy who drove the shuttle from the airport here. While that is "free," he spent the whole time switching between his private mobile and his mobile for the hotel. In fact, we sat waiting for five minutes at a turn while he chatted, and while the hotel phone complained that he had not yet arrived. When we got to the hotel, he walked off and did not help with luggage. To say the least, I did not tip him.

The third issue is relatively minor, but I booked the place in part so that I could do a morning swim. The pool was locked up.

So...worth three stars. Very average with some benefits and some rather lazy service staff. It is also nowhere near what I have experienced with Radisson in England, Sweden, or Germany. If you are European, be aware that this place should have a different name on it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

I stayed at the Radisson Hotel Crystal City for five nights in June and had a comfortable stay. Very convenient to the Metro and Reagan National Airport. A busy, bustling area with good access to get around. Complimentary shuttle to and from Reagan National Airport. Enjoyed the SleepNumber bed and found the room to be very clean and well-kept. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
willow grove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

Stayed in this hotel from friday,to sunday,and could not find one flaw.Reception was helpful,rooms were clean,location of hotel was close to metro.I stayed with my wife 2 sons,sons girlfriend,sister-in-law and her husband,and a friend (3 rooms total,and not one complaint).Do i recommend this hotel? DEFINITIVAMENTE YES

Stayed July 2009
Irving, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

The shuttle from the airport was prompt, hotel is very close to the Reagan Airport and one of the Metro stations. Also nearby is the Crystal City Shopping Center, which is handy for fast food and run-of-the-mill shops. The Radisson is located in a large cluster of office/hotel/apartment complexes, but the area felt safe and wasn't too noisy after dark. The staff here was very helpful, especially the concierge who helped a lot when we were debating whether or not to change airports (for the return flight) and needed a cab right away. They also checked our luggage in their "luggage room" on our last day, after we'd checked out of the room but several hours before our return flight (while we were sight-seeing). They took good care of our stuff, even my husband's "baby"--his expensive laptop. The room itself was small (but not as small as the photos made it seem), yet comfortable--not confining. We got 2 double beds. It was very clean. Breakfast buffet was a bit pricey ($12 I think) but good, standard fare and I ate a lot (had to get my money's worth). Basic amenities included sleep number beds (just okay), internet access, pool, small gym/workout area, room service, gift shop, snack shop in lobby. I have to say that we got a very good deal on the price of the room, which made the hotel seem a lot nicer. We're very...thrifty. I would stay here again if I was budget traveling. But if I could afford to splurge, next time I'd stay in DC itself--closer to the monuments and museums you go there to see in the first place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

I stayed at Radisson for 2 days in mid-June 2009. Hotel is a convenient 5 min walk from the Metro (Crystal City). It is located between 2 busy streets, but I was not bothered by any street noise (stayed on the 5th floor). The room was clean, shower water pressure was excellent (a big thing for me). High speed internet was a little bit on the slow side and I also experienced an occasional brief loss of Internet connection, but nothing major. Lots of TV channels. No recycling bins, though. Had breakfast downstairs once - it was just OK. Overall, I was pleased with my stay and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

The room was very attractive and comfortable -- definitely an upscale room! It included a sleep number bed which was fun to try out. We arrived late in the evening via Metro (2 blocks away). When I called for directions, the friendly clerk said he would send a shuttle right over. We felt very pampered and were delighted with our stay. In the morning walking to the Metro was a breeze. It was a great location for touring DC. Breakfast was not included. We used the easy-to-order breakfast hang tag; our breakfast was delivered on time, hot, and tasty.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

The hotel prices around Washington and Arlington are high and we selected this hotel strictly on price. I wanted to stay 6 nights but it was too expensive and we settled on three nights over the weekend when the rates were cheaper. They also offered a summer deal of Friday is free. They also charge $20 for parking which adds up. There is street parking available behind the hotel which is free in the evening.
The street side rooms were a little loud so we changed rooms. We actually changed rooms four times- yes 4- in a three day stay. The second room was surrounded by 54 high school kids on a school trip running and screaming. The third room must have had a leak in the ceiling that we didn't notice but the staff noticed and asked us to move.
There is no free breakfast, or at least none on the hotels.com rate we used.
I thought Radisson was a classy chain but this was NOT a classy hotel. Most guests were business travellers or in the military (I believe the Pentagon is nearby). It was a very ordinary hotel except for the Sleepcomfort bed which was fun to try.
Therre was no computer for guest use but they let us use the one oat the Hampton Inn next door, (which looked like a nicer hotel).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple