“An OK stay...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Brisbane, Australia
“An OK stay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2007

I stayed here for a few nights in August on my way between New York and London. The hotel is pretty old but my room seemed clean. I think it's ok for the price. I wanted to stay near the airport and it seemed the best value for money. I was trying to save money but it was a bit of a hassle to get into town because you have to change trains and also depend on the hotel shuttle so next time I'll stay in the city centre. I didn't find the front desk staff particularly helpful on tourist info but I guess that's not why they're there.
There's a restaurant in the Comfort Inn next door where you can get food. I thought the breakfast was actually pretty good since it was free. They had a few different cereals, bread, bagels which you could toast, some hard boiled eggs and donuts. It was more than enough for me.
I only had two real complaints.
The first was that my room was next door to the breakfast room which I only realised the first morning when I woke up to the sound of other people talking as they ate breakfast from about 6.30am. So if you notice your room is next to the Eisenhower room ask to move if you don't want to wake up that early.
My other complaint was the shuttle. It doesn't go often enough and you can't rely on it. I was trying to get to the Reagan airport to get a connection to Dulles but the bus left early because it was full and so I had to wait an entire hour for the next one and ended up getting a cab all the way to Dulles. Also the shuttle isn't big enough. every time I was on it, there were people standing/crouching/sitting on the floor which really isn't safe, particularly as the driver is often speeding along the highways. Overall it was an ok stay but I wouldn't stay there again. I would stay in the city centre and pay extra.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Miami
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

My family and I stayed at this hotel back in late June. This has to be the worst hotel experience I've ever had. On the first day, we got our room early enough to leave our luggage and headed to DC. We took the hotel shuttle. Our driver did not care that he took the curves entering the highway at full speed. In the evening, we returned early since we were not familiar with the shuttle times. They usually leave the hotel on the hour and pick up at the Metro 15 min after the hour. The shuttle operates until 10pm (but I wouldn't trust it). When we got to the hotel, our room was hot. I thought it was me since we had come into the hotel room and it was extremely hot outside. The thermometer in our room was well below 60 degrees, and the room was still hot. I called the front desk. They sent the maintenance guy who said "that was as cold as it was going to get". I complained and got another room. The other room that we got was a bit cooler. The bathroom on this unit was filthy. The tiles looked like they had never been cleaned and were deteriorated. The next morning, I tried to look online for another hotel, but everything was full in the DC, Arlington, and even Alexandria. Unfortunately, we were stuck here. The breakfast provided is basic and is served in a small room. It gets very crowded in there. You need to provide the hostess with your ticket, otherwise, you are not allowed to eat there. The shuttle in general was unreliable. On the second day, we waited to be picked up at the Metro for about 45 minutes. It was not until I called the hotel that the driver left the hotel. There were people waiting there for more than an hour, and when it finally arrived, there was no room in the shuttle for everyone. The front desk employees were young adults and were not friendly, especially Tiago. He had a tremendous attitude, and was not very helpful. The best thing of this hotel was the internet service which is provided at the Business Center. They have two computers you can use to surf the net and read your emails. My best advice to you is "STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL IF YOU CAN". There's a Comfort Inn next to it which looked like a better place to stay. Due to the circumstances, we cut our trip short by a Night in DC just to get away from this place. I paid too much ($150) per night for this hotel, which I rate as a one-star and would not pay more than $75/night. By the way, it's true about the bed-bugs. I had a rash in my legs the entire time I was there....see previous notes. I've never complained about a hotel before, but this one is worth complaining about. GOOD LUCK : )

• Liked — Business Center
  • Disliked — Room cleanliness, appearance, and room temperature
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Whoami91

Travelers are raving about these Arlington hotels

virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

Room definitely had only the basics. Don't expect more. Telephone didn't work. We had booked 3 rooms and the tv remote in the other room didn't work. The breakfast? Don't expect anything except cold boiled eggs and donuts. Seating at the breakfast "room" was only for about 20. Hello? The hotel has how many guest rooms? Where is everyone else suppose to sit? The only good thing about this hotel is the location...everything else is terrible. I would call this a Worst Western...certainly not the "Best"

Stayed July 2007
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

Just stayed at this Hotel for two nights.
Thank God or I would have been really in bad shape.
After getting home the third day I broke out in a rash and after a visit to the doctor found out that I had been bitten by Bed Bugs and not just a few. My whole body was covered in bites.
Immediately sprayed all my luggage and cloths when I got home from the doctors office. No doubt that is was from this hotel as it was the only place I stayed on this business trip.

• Liked — Highway Access
  • Disliked — cleaniness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank panandtilt
Eastern Shore, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2007

We arrived here last the first night, having gotten lost. We didn't ever see any airport signs or Pentagon signs off of Rt. 95. (Coming from the east.) Anyway, we checked in late, but were checked in quickly. The room was maybe a 2 star room. Everything seemed to be clean but very basic. There were some cosmetic issues (peeling wallpaper). On the first night, we couldn't get ANY heat on at all, but we were so tired, we just covered up and went to sleep. There was a coffee maker and an alarm clock. They didn't give us breakfast coupons for that day. I guess they knew we were leaving early, but we were not even asked if we wanted them or when we were leaving.

When we returned late the last night, we ended up having to pay a taxi to take us from the airport to the hotel. It should be noted: THEIR FREE SHUTTLES START AT 6 AM AND END AT 10 P.M. If your flight gets in anytime after 10, you will have to pay for a taxi to return to the hotel. We sure wish we had known that! Good grief. We did mention we had no shuttle, to which the check-in guy goes, "yes, unfortunately our shuttle service ends at 10 p.m." to which I wanted to say "It would have been helpful to know that YESTERDAY - or any day before today!" But by that time it was almost midnight (and we had been traveling back from Jamaica since 10:30 a.m. so we were bushed...) Thankfully our room DID have heat that night. And we did get breakfast coupons.

Breakfast was OK: various cereals, bagels, oatmeal, muffins, boiled eggs, juices, and coffee. A decent variety.

We paid over $160 for a park 'n fly room for the first night, under $120 the night we returned to stay here. Probably would not stay here again unless we couldn't find anything else.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank iwannatravel
Redding, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2007

When we arrived to this hotel we were informed that their Restaurant was not open. The gentleman in their gift shop stated that if it is slow they regularly close the restaurant. It is a horrible part of town, they even have their own parking spot for the local police department. Upon checking into our rooms (we had 3 of them) the condition of each of them was unexceptable. I was told that they were full (so much for closing the restaurant when slow) and we could not move. We were informed that we would be charged the full nights lodging if we left. We had blood on our walls, mold in the shower (so bad that we didn't even use the bathroom) the carpet was so bad that I removed the bedsped and blaket to cover the floor and I kept socks on. We were supposed to be there for 3 nights...I was able to find another hotel for the next 2 nights and was very happy. Just remember if you are going to Arlington, VA do not stay at this hotel.

• Liked — There was honestly nothing.
  • Disliked — The condition of the property.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank BWHilltopInn
mass
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

We arrived and there was no AC. Actually they said it was not turned on throughout the hotel, but the heat was on. The room thermometer indicated the room temp was already 79 degrees. Since they were unable to turn on the AC they offer us 2 options. 1) open the doors and the room would cool off from the outside temp, but our question was what happens at night while we are sleeping?!? 2) They would “try” to get us fans to circulate the stale dead air, and we could call back in 20 minutes. The room also had a strange odor while the vents for the heat/ac had what appeared to be moldy dust. After 20 minutes we went to the front desk, and after and hour of arguing with the front desk our money was refunded in full, and we walked across the lot to the Comfort Inn. Something to note… While at the front desk they received 3 other complaints (1 was sparks from the bathroom light, another was strange sounds from the walls, and the last brown water and a backed up sink). On 2 separate occasions that the guests from the Best Western were sent over to the Comfort Inn simply because the Best Western had run out for food. Overall this is an old building that needs a wrecker. My recommendation – Keep looking!

Stayed April 2007