“OK, but not my first choice”

Best Western Pentagon Hotel - Reagan Airport
Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed April 21, 2007

I ended up staying here for a conference, because the conference hotel and all of the other nearby hotels were full. In my family "Best Western" is not a good word in hotels, so I went with trepidation....

The room was clean but had a definite plasticky odor, like a new shower curtain (but the shower curtain wasn't new!). The caulking in the bathroom looked strictly amateur night, and the water temperature was variable, but livable.

The hotel does offer free wireless, but I didn't have a computer with me to test it. The TV has a full complement of cable channels, though.

The continental breakfast was minimal (bagels and cold cereal mostly, plus coffee and juice) but ok. There were only eight tables in the room, though, and it sometimes took a while to find a place to sit.

The neighborhood is relatively quiet. Even though we were right near I-395, I heard very little, if any, traffic noise. Across the street, there's an abandoned, grafitti marked hotel that should be avoided.

My travel agent didn't even know there was a shuttle service, so I ended up on a Metrobus, and walking a long block from the bus stop to the hotel. The hotel shuttle serves both this Best Western and the nearby Comfort Inn, so it can get crowded. Also it serves both the Pentagon City Metro and the Reagan Airport, so it occasionally gets off-schedule. A cab to the Metro shouldn't cost more than $8 or so....

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Temporary

Reviewed April 16, 2007

The number one issue is the "free shuttle." This shuttle is supposed to run every hour. Upon arriving at the airport, we waited well over an hour for the shuttle. From then on out, whenever we needed the shuttle our average wait was well over 45 minutes... We used taxis most of the time due to the unorganized scheduling of this shuttle service.

The "continental breakfast" is a joke! There are no eggs and bacon (as the image shows) and not even a toaster to toast your bagel. We ate breakfast out most of the time.

The room was never completely cleaned. We left a bowl of mostly eaten cereal in the room and it was left in the room after the daily cleaning. Tables were not wiped clean. We moved the bowl outside and it was not picked up for close to 32 hours. There was also a plastic surgical glove on the ground near our room for our entire five day stay.

We mailed a check to this hotel two months before arrival to pay for the room with corporate funds. Once arriving they said they never received the check and required a credit card to hold. This was not part of the agreement, as we called to confirm all of this before our arrival. They finally "found" the check three days into the stay.

Our bathroom was disgusting (as in dorm room disgusting).

Coffee maker not working in the room and outlets, for charging our lap tops, are loose and spark each time a plug is placed into them.

They do have wireless...that is a plus.

The people at the front desk are unorganized and each time you enter the lobby you hear patrons complaining... and the lobby floor obviously doesn't get vacuumed because there were candy wrappers on the floor, in the same spots, for our entire stay.

So... I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank woowooFlorida
Reviewed February 4, 2007

After reading most of the other reviews, I was very apprehensive about staying here. However, it served our purposes very well. We had an early flight out of National and arrived the night before. There were four of us in the room and we asked for a rollaway which fit nicely. The price was great ($119) as it included the continental breakfast and free parking for our car while we were away (four nights for us, but I don't know if there is an upper limit). The free shuttle to and from the hotel to the airport worked well so financially, it was a great deal. The door to the room didn't close that tightly (although it was secure) so there was a breeze. The heater was very strong so the room temperature stayed high. The beds were fine, the room was clean, the personnel were friendly. Breakfast was very basic but it was enough to hold us til our next meal. I would not choose to stay here if I were staying for many days, but as a place to stay on the way to National, it was great.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank BrownBalto
Reviewed January 8, 2007

After reading the terrible reviews on Tripadvisor, I was apprehensive. But I found the hotel to be clean, well-serviced and maintained. The rooms were fine. Two queen-sized beds with decent amenities - coffee pot, washcloths(! so rare), and ice and soda vending machines. It was right off of major route into DC, and you could get a shuttle from the hotel. The outside area of the neighborhood was not so great, but I felt safe at the hotel. The continental breakfast was well-stocked with cereals, donuts, and bagels, toast, coffee or tea. Everything was decently upgraded including the lobby. The desk people were considerate and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank spcemtn
Reviewed November 26, 2006

This motel is in a time-warp, seemingly stuck in the late 1960s as regards layout and accommodation. It does however represent excellent value for money, even if the included breakfast is basic in the extreme as regards both content and locale for eating it. Even though the exterior looks somewhat tired the rooms are however quite reasonable once you are inside – see the photographs - even if they are over-furnished and look like sets from an old TV sit-com. My room and bathroom was scrupulously clean and I encountered none of the problems of dirt that other reviewers have mentioned. One feature that I didn’t like was that the curtain when pulled closed, left a gap – as will be seen on one of the photographs. The biggest drawback of the rooms is access – mine was on the second floor of one of the blocks and getting up and down the narrow suitcase with my case was difficult in the extreme. It could be all but impossible for older or infirm guests. The front desk staff were however very helpful – and when I found to my dismay that I had lost the key to my case and would have to get it broken open, one of the maintenance staff was at my room in two-minutes. Though he failed on the first attempt – the case was stronger than I thought – he was back two minutes later with stronger implements still and got the job done in a jiffy. He was cheerful and positive in addition and it was a pleasure dealing with him. The warnings which some other reviewers have given about the shuttle bus are valid – no problem outside of rush-hours but a major concern if you – and a large number of other guests - want to get simultaneously to the National Airport in the morning. The regular service of the shuttle to and from the Pentagon City Shopping Centre is however a major advantage, and a good cost saver.

One word of advice is appropriate for travellers, like myself, arriving at the National Airport, Terminal A. There is at present (November 2007) no courtesy telephone for calling the hotel. It is necessary to contact the very helpful general Information desk near the baggage carousels, and they will do so for you. I wandered about for ten minutes before realising this – so be warned!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank Isidore
Reviewed November 13, 2006

This hotel was booked for me by someone at the company that I was visiting - had I been given a choice, just by virtue of the reviews on this site, I would have made them change it, but I bit the bullet and hoped for the best...

The front desk staff was fine.

I was in building #3, on the ground floor...I do not like staying in lodging where doors to the room are open to the outside - especially uncomfortable for a woman travelling alone. I had to slam the door to assure it was shut tightly. The room smelled like the stufff I've used on my carpet at home when one of the cats throws up, and to prove that point, the carpet was sticky. If deodorizer isn't rinsed, it is sticky and attracts dirt. Other than that, the room and bathroom surfaces seemed fairly clean., and both rooms were large. There was a sink in both the private toilet/shower room and in the area adjacent to it.

Word of warning - at least in this room at the time I was there, I ran the water in the sink for almost two minutes and it never got warmer than lukewarm. I turned on the shower, waited again, same temperature, but I *had* to take a shower, so I go in. I was in there at least 5 minutes, had only the hot water faucet on, it was still lukewarm, then started to get hot. If you have little kids or someone with mobility problems, be very careful of this as the water got really hot very quickly. Someone could get burned.

To echo other's reviews, the breakfast was a joke - I'd rather pay $5 and have some decent options. Thanks to the reviews I read before I left, I was prepared for this and packed a couple of peanut butter sandwiches, which were dinner and breakfast the next day!

So, bottom line, is the cheaper price worth not having virtually any food options, either in or near the hotel; having no security; and walking on a sticky, deodorant-smelling carpet? Not to me. Spend the extra $50 or so dollars and stay in a decent place.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank Linyo
Reviewed October 23, 2006

My husband and I read the reviews before booking this hotel, and were a little reluctant, but we stayed anyway because the website said they offered a shuttle to the airport and Metro. What a mistake.

When we went to check in, they gave us a room that was still dirty from the night before...the sheets were off the bed and there were wet towels on the floor. They gave us a new room that was clean and newly remodeled, but the heat/air fan did not work and there was water dripping from the ceiling. We also did not have any new towels in our room. We still shrugged this stuff off, thinking it was an old hotel and these things happen.

Then we were ready to take the shuttle to the Metro. They seriously had 1 10-person van that ran on the hour, not only for this hotel, but also for the hotel next door. That's 10 seats for over 200 rooms. We saw pushing and shoving, and one older woman literally in tears because she could not get on. The shuttle is fine during the day, but in the morning and in the evening, it's impossible to get on. We ended up just paying for a taxi because we waited one night for over an hour and a half at 8:00 at night, and we just wanted to get to bed. The taxi driver even said he makes great money off of the guests of this hotel at that time of the day. Granted, I understand that the shuttle is not a guaranteed service, but why advertise and promote it?

If you get an amazingly good deal on a room here and have transportation or can afford a taxi, I say go ahead - it's old, but tolerable. Otherwise, if you are relying on the shuttle or if you find another hotel that is comparable in price that offers a shuttle, don't stay here. It's not worth the headaches.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business