“Great place for a family”

Best Western Pentagon Hotel - Reagan Airport
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Daytona Beach
“Great place for a family”
Reviewed June 19, 2008

I stayed there with my 13 year old son during our recent 4 day visit to DC. Overall, the experience was above average for a motel which averaged a little over $100/night in the greater DC area. The rooms were VERY clean and had obviously been updated sometime in the last couple of years. Housekeeping did their job extremely well and I saw them even changing the blankets when people checked out (& you certainly don't find many places changing blankets these days).

It is obviously an older property and has some of the cosmetic issues with that age, but the management has done a nice job in updating. The fact that it is a completely non-smoking establishment is a real bonus...no residual smoke smell anywhere.

The location is fine...just off of I-395 with a 5 minute shuttle ride to the Pentagon City Metro. If you have a car, there are plenty of very good restaurants within a 10-15 minute drive and the neighborhood is decent (the motel is across the street from the Army/Navy club golf course).

Someone in an earlier review complained about the limited breakfast...which I don't at all understand. It is, after all, a CONTINENTAL breakfast!! They have several cereals, fresh bread/bagels/donuts and the waffle maker. There is plenty of coffee and juice and plenty of seating. If you have a family, it is an easy place to start the day.

The front desk staff was excellent...always friendly and helpful during our stay: One day the shuttle didn't stop and the clerk offered a cab to be paid for by the motel; another clerk checked us in on Southwest as I wouldn't be able to get to a computer in time to do so myself. I also saw them handle people who were upset about something in similar friendly manner when they could have been rude in return.

I would definitely stay there again for a similar trip to DC. It is not a destination hotel and doesn't pretend to be. It is a clean, well-run motel with very comfortable beds, good location, and good management.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank gatorfan84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Colorado
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Lots of little things that were kind of depressing: The heater & the sink counter were both pulling out of the wall. The fan in the bathroom was very loud and mostly ineffective. All the plugs were controlled by the light switch except the one that had the TV, Microwave, Refridge & clock in it. (yes, the clock was on the other side of the room from the bed.) We had to charge up portable electronic devices overnight in the bathroom plug. They have a shuttle from the airport, but you have to call them after you've picked up your luggage and they forget to pick us up even after 3 calls. (We took a taxi).

On the plus side, the room was huge. There was a TV & Microwave and 'fridge. The wake up call was timely. The continental breakfast was decent enough. There was a shuttle to the metro station every 1/2 hour.

A tornado knocked out the telephone & AC power, but both of those were working again in a reasonable time period.

At $500 for 3 nights, it wasn't worth it. However, that was considered affordable for the D.C. area.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — General atmosphere
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Arlington hotels

nashville
Reviewed April 23, 2008

When you go in the lobby you think you are getting to stay in a nice place but once you get into your room you'll find it very dated, dirty, old blankets and no fitted sheets. Come on...for over $100 they could spring for a fitted sheet. Breakfast was limited. Room was noisy. Pros...Good location and Wi-Fi.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — beds
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed April 9, 2008

I was satisfied with this hotel. It had large rooms and a decent continental breakfast. Friendly staff. I guess it was just the location, it was in Arlington, Va., but I thought it was pricey, $500 for the 3 nights. But it had clean rooms, central location, and reliable hotel shuttle service which we took full advantage of to get into DC.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Didn't really like the "motel" look, but it was nice having the van close by.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2007

I can't believe this hotel is not rated much higher. I would surely stay there again.

Lets start with the price. I paid $109. I had no idea at the time I booked it but that was the cheapest price around. I went on tripadvisor later to see how others compared and was shocked to see most hotels from $200 to $600 a night.

The hotel was very clean and staff was pleasant. The continental breakfast included a large selection of cereal, bagels, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, juices..etc.

The hotel offers a shuttle that takes you to other transporation hubs and that is highly recommended. The hotel is only 5-8 minutes aways from downtown washington but leave your car parked and take a shuttle. Parking in Washington is a NIGHTMARE and almost non-exsistant. You'll never find any metered parking available near any of the attractions. We circled the whitehouse twice and had to give up on finding a parking space. Later we found one near the Lincoln memorial but it was so far away we found a $100 parking ticket on our window when we returned as we couldn't make it back by 4:00 ( when they clear the streets for rush hour ) Cab fair from the hotel to the Smithsonian was $13.00.

We had to extend our stay and the hotel staff was very accommodating in finding a room for us when they were sold out.

My only negative on the hotel would be that the highspeed internet wasn't as highspeed as I'd like it to be.

Thanks Best Western Pentagon for a pleasant stay!

• Liked — Excellent Value and Clean rooms.
  • Disliked — Not very fast internet
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank nathrbrts
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I stayed here for a few nights in August on my way between New York and London. The hotel is pretty old but my room seemed clean. I think it's ok for the price. I wanted to stay near the airport and it seemed the best value for money. I was trying to save money but it was a bit of a hassle to get into town because you have to change trains and also depend on the hotel shuttle so next time I'll stay in the city centre. I didn't find the front desk staff particularly helpful on tourist info but I guess that's not why they're there.
There's a restaurant in the Comfort Inn next door where you can get food. I thought the breakfast was actually pretty good since it was free. They had a few different cereals, bread, bagels which you could toast, some hard boiled eggs and donuts. It was more than enough for me.
I only had two real complaints.
The first was that my room was next door to the breakfast room which I only realised the first morning when I woke up to the sound of other people talking as they ate breakfast from about 6.30am. So if you notice your room is next to the Eisenhower room ask to move if you don't want to wake up that early.
My other complaint was the shuttle. It doesn't go often enough and you can't rely on it. I was trying to get to the Reagan airport to get a connection to Dulles but the bus left early because it was full and so I had to wait an entire hour for the next one and ended up getting a cab all the way to Dulles. Also the shuttle isn't big enough. every time I was on it, there were people standing/crouching/sitting on the floor which really isn't safe, particularly as the driver is often speeding along the highways. Overall it was an ok stay but I wouldn't stay there again. I would stay in the city centre and pay extra.

• Stayed August 2007
Miami
Reviewed July 9, 2007

My family and I stayed at this hotel back in late June. This has to be the worst hotel experience I've ever had. On the first day, we got our room early enough to leave our luggage and headed to DC. We took the hotel shuttle. Our driver did not care that he took the curves entering the highway at full speed. In the evening, we returned early since we were not familiar with the shuttle times. They usually leave the hotel on the hour and pick up at the Metro 15 min after the hour. The shuttle operates until 10pm (but I wouldn't trust it). When we got to the hotel, our room was hot. I thought it was me since we had come into the hotel room and it was extremely hot outside. The thermometer in our room was well below 60 degrees, and the room was still hot. I called the front desk. They sent the maintenance guy who said "that was as cold as it was going to get". I complained and got another room. The other room that we got was a bit cooler. The bathroom on this unit was filthy. The tiles looked like they had never been cleaned and were deteriorated. The next morning, I tried to look online for another hotel, but everything was full in the DC, Arlington, and even Alexandria. Unfortunately, we were stuck here. The breakfast provided is basic and is served in a small room. It gets very crowded in there. You need to provide the hostess with your ticket, otherwise, you are not allowed to eat there. The shuttle in general was unreliable. On the second day, we waited to be picked up at the Metro for about 45 minutes. It was not until I called the hotel that the driver left the hotel. There were people waiting there for more than an hour, and when it finally arrived, there was no room in the shuttle for everyone. The front desk employees were young adults and were not friendly, especially Tiago. He had a tremendous attitude, and was not very helpful. The best thing of this hotel was the internet service which is provided at the Business Center. They have two computers you can use to surf the net and read your emails. My best advice to you is "STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL IF YOU CAN". There's a Comfort Inn next to it which looked like a better place to stay. Due to the circumstances, we cut our trip short by a Night in DC just to get away from this place. I paid too much ($150) per night for this hotel, which I rate as a one-star and would not pay more than $75/night. By the way, it's true about the bed-bugs. I had a rash in my legs the entire time I was there....see previous notes. I've never complained about a hotel before, but this one is worth complaining about. GOOD LUCK : )

• Liked — Business Center
  • Disliked — Room cleanliness, appearance, and room temperature
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family