“A lot of potential - but far from expectations”
Review of Big Buns

Big Buns
Ranked #18 of 902 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American
Description: Big Buns is a "fun-casual" American grill specializing in simple, gourmet inspired food that's crafted with the highest quality ingredients, made-to-order, and served with the belief that eating out should be a totally customizable experience. The best ingredients make the best food...no compromises. It's been our belief since 2007 when we opened our doors in Arlington and became an instant neighborhood fixture. It's still why we do what we do today. Check out our menu at our website!
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place had a lot of potential, and I really wanted to enjoy it! From the advertising, to the smells when walking in, to the burger options...I was definitely looking forward to this for a very quick lunch.

I ordered a burger loaded with a bunch toppings, including grilled onions, on a big white bun. I ordered my burger "medium well"; I like my steaks pink in the middle (medium), but like my burgers cooked through, but still juicy. The burger was finished very quickly. And, the presentation was fantastic. The burger looked great, and I could not wait to try it.....

Which is when things went downhill. I bit into a hockey puck. The burger was tough and very chewy. The toppings were fantastic, but the over-done meat completely ruined the lunch.

I went to the counter to complain, and they said "You ordered medium well". I've had many a medium well burgers in my life, and this was definitely not it...it was well done. I was not able to return or exchange the burger, and left disappointed...with the sandwich only half done.

The lunch ran about $12; this seemed to be the going rate for lunches in the Ballston area with a soft drink.

With very much unrealized expectations, it would take something extraordinary for me to return.........

1  Thank Matt S

Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is my favorite veggie burger in the land. It's not a veggie patty (i.e. Boca), but instead you can actually pinpoint the different veggies - carrots, peas, etc. I love the choice of toppings and dressings as well. Oh, and did I mention the Nutella shake? I had it malt-style and it was just a decadent, delicious treat. I can't comment on the meat options in this place, but I love the veggie options!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was looking for a good burger and searched tripadvisor to find the best burger in Arlington. I found Big Buns and after I saw the awards and the reviews I wanted to give it a shot. The staff was not very friendly. After asking what they would suggest to order on my burger she just said "I don't know, whatever you like". I asked her if they had anything they did well she said "Everything is good". So I ordered a burger with the typical burger toppings and an order of fries. The fries were kind of soggy, and not as good as Five Guys (my gold standard of fries). The burger was ok but not really good. I would say very average at best. I was disappointed after reading all of the reviews of this place.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

My fiance and I started going to Big Buns when it opened. They offer a good sized burger and artisan toppings such as pineapple, alfalfa sprouts, peppers, ect along with lobster rolls and portabella mushroom burgers.

The only reason I don't give 5 stars is because their portions have gotten a lot smaller from when they first opened. For example, they used to only have one size fry, the regular size. Now they have a small fry and large fry, the same price as the regular, but less fries in the large fry than the original regular.

Their fries are excellent, just the right amount of crispyness-but their pricing does irk me and I don't think its worth the price as 5 guys is just as good.

If you're looking for a different type of burger/beer with the food, this pace is legit, and better in my opinion than BGR (BGR is even pricier than Big Buns.)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

It seems like a noisy cafeteria. Although after you order, they do bring the food to your table. Likely OK for burgers; the salad is quite boring -- not recommended.