“Yummy down-to-earth Thai food”
Review of Top Thai

Top Thai
Ranked #221 of 878 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Thai
New York
“Yummy down-to-earth Thai food”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I admit that I'm easy to please when it comes to Thai food, but I still recommend this place. The menu offers a great variety, prices are reasonable and service is quick. I had their country style curry (no coconut milk) which had lots of veggies and something I don't ever remember having before--fresh pepper corns. It was delightfully spicy hot without drowning out the other flavors. I will go back next time I find myself in Crystal City.

• Visited September 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Large portions, but short on flavor”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I continued my exploration of the deliberately quaint restaurants that dotted S. 23rd Street in Crystal City, and decided upon Top Thai for one of my lunches. I was attracted by the daily lunch specials, which touted a soup/salad and entrée for under $8. This was a bargain, especially for the area, so I headed into the tiny place.

I didn't really get a good look at the interior, so my impression is confined to a fleeting impression of dim lighting, a couple rows of tables, a scattering of pictures, and not much else. The weather wasn't too bad for July, so I asked my cheery server to seat me outside in the covered porch area. This had brown wooden chairs and blue-gray tables fronting the sidewalk.

I figured that, with lunch so cheap and not having so many opportunities to sample Thai beer, I'd try the Chang. The server speedily brought the bottle and a frosty glass. My verdict - weak and watery.

That day's soup was Chicken Coconut Soup; for the entrée I chose the Chicken Pad Thai. The soup arrived quickly. It was tasty and smooth, with an adequate amount of chicken chunks, but did not contain much heat despite a one-chili pepper rating on the menu. The pad thai was brought just before I finished my soup. The pile of chicken, noodles, and sprouts in the shallow bowl was substantial, especially for the price. But, again, there was not actually any flavor which could have elevated this dish to something great. Both soup and entrée were incredibly bland.

I had read about the Mango & Sticky Rice and figured I'd cap off my meal with that. A small scoop of rice and a few slices of mango glistened with a heavy sheen of liquified sugar. Now this, did have flavor, very very sweet. I ate as much as I could, but it was too much sweetness and had to leave the rest.

I'd have to rate my experience at three dots. Service was outstanding, and the lunch special deal is a rare bargain for the area. However, the dishes were devoid of any spices, maybe in order to appeal to American palates, but for me it sunk the meal down to an average rating.

• Visited July 2012
“Tasty place with good variety.”
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

A group I was with voted to go here. Some of us were vegetarians. We were all able to find something on the menu. Though I'm not a vegetarian, I had the "Tofu with Basil, and it was very good: flavorful basil, a nice mix of veggies, a little "kick," and with good tofu.

Service was a bit slow, and they weren't very busy. It was a later on a Sunday night, so perhaps they didn't have a full crew on-board.

They have a little covered porch area in which we ate. We were able to people watch and get a nice breeze during the meal.

All in all, I'd go back again if I was going to be in the area longer. The only thing keeping me from returning now is I simply have many places that I want to try and probably won't go to _any_ restaurant more than once.

Big Sky, MT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh, Flavorful, and Spicy!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Very few Thai places can pull off that perfect balance between being "spicy hot" and "spicy flavorful" but this one did. The ingredients were fresh and the spicy dishes were both spicy and flavorful. We were a party of 7 and everyone ordered something different and everyone enjoyed what they had (spicy or not). The staff was very friendly too and a plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies after our meal really went over big with the kids in our group. We will definitely be back!

williamsburg
“Quaint outdoor seating and "just okay" food”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This little restaurant has a few tables outside, which makes for a great atmosphere. The food, however, came in very small portions and didn't have the intense flavor that most Thai food does. It was a bit bland, I thought.

Visited August 2012