“Absolutely could not get served”
Review of Harry's Tap Room - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Harry's Tap Room
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Filmore St.
Transit: We are two blocks from the Clarendon Metro stop. (Orange Line)
Reviewed January 5, 2012

And when we did the order was wrong. We finally just paid the tab and left.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

In transition - to new restaurant by same owners. Harry's Tap Room had excellent variety and particularly good vegetable sides.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Just average, nothing special. My friends and I used to go for brunch and the food was always fine but nothing unique or notable

Reviewed December 26, 2011

Harry's Tap Room has left Clarendon, it's official. It's location in Dulles Airport remains open, as does Harry's Smokehouse in Pentagon City. This review is of the new Market Tavern that has replaced Harry's.

Let me start by saying that Harry's was always good. Not great, but a solid 4/5 Tripadvisor score. Now under new ownership, the frazzled staff and order mess-ups seem to be taking Harry's down the wrong path, but hopefully these kinks will be worked out sooner rather than later.

They have a very nice menu, with a portion strictly dedicated to casseroles. I ordered the house salad to begin, and it was very good. The balsamic was average for a place like this.

That said, I ordered the peppercorn sirloin for an entree, hoping for a tender, juicy steak with the refreshing spice of peppercorn. However, when my steak appeared, it was not what I ordered. There was no peppercorn; crusting or on top. I tried it, and it was horrible. I asked my waitress about what I received and she told me that this was the skirt steak that I ordered. I informed her that I did not order a skirt steak and that I ordered a peppercorn sirloin...she appeared visibly upset at the mistake and apologized numerous times, giving me the 'it's my first day" spiel that I've only heard...about 100 times. I told her it was okay; we all make mistakes, but I would like to get what I ordered. She took my steak back, but after another 30 minutes pass, I pulled her aside and asked when I could be receiving my new steak. She said it would be out momentarily and hastened to the back of the restaurant.

Another 15 minutes pass until she stops by the table to tell me that they forgot to make the order in the back but that it would be out "in just a jiffy." Arkansas slang aside, I was ticked off that the past 45 minutes were wasted, and I still had to wait on a steak to cook.

I asked to speak at the manager, and she brought him over, and explained what happened. I contended with her story, and told her it was okay but that this shouldn't happen at a good restaurant. The manager apologized, but offered nothing...not a discount the bill, not a gift card to come back, nothing.

The steak came after an hour and 15 minutes from the time I sent the wrong order back and was fine. Nothing great. That seems to be the motif of the whole restaurant....fine, nothing great.

1  Thank arlingtonman13
Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is just another ok place. I love Sam and Harry's but this place is not just more informal, it's just not that good. But it is popular with singles along the Ballston/Roslyn strip.