“Good service, mediocre food”
Review of Capital City Brewing Company - CLOSED

Capital City Brewing Company
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Metro Bus
Description: Capitol City Brewing Company at the village of Shirlington in Arlington Virginia. This brewery features an on site state of the art brewery viewed from the side walk as well as the private brewers room. The restaurant features signature brews as well as fresh American cuisine.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We met with a large group, and the staff were all really amazing and friendly. Good atmosphere to hang out with friends. Everyone that ordered food said that it was just ok. I ordered Calamari, and it was a bit on the dry side, and served with what tasted like straight mayo. Great for drinks, not so much on the food.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We have been to Capital City many times and have thoroughly enjoyed ourselves...until last night. We were told there would be about a 25 minute wait and was given a buzzer. As we walked around the large bar looking for a place to chill and have a beer while waiting for our table, we counted over 7 tables that were empty and ready to go, and yet they sat there for a LONG time before getting seated. Our thinking was at least sit us, give us some pretzels, and let us order some beers while waiting for service. What really happened is that our buzzer wasn't working and while the hostess said they figured that, never bothered to look around and check to see what buzzer we had (we were sitting right next to the hostess table), so we didn't get seated for I don't know how long and until we finally asked them. But then, after waiting extra to be seated you would think the table service would be extraordinary - it was ordinary, at best. Slow moving, never checked on us after we got our food and it took forever just to get our hummus and beer. Overall the food and beer is good, but we were just extremely disappointed and while they messed up, they chose not to rectify the situation at all...and all we wanted was quick service. It's a crap shoot - you may go and it will be fabulous or you may just get an ok night. Good luck...

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The beers brewed/served at this Arlington location were exceptionally bad. This was exceeded (in the bad sense of the word) only by the service at the bar; limited attentiveness could possibly be explained by their embarrassment over the sad suds. Pricing was not the best, hence the value was very poor.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our party of seven tried Capital City Brewing Company on St. Patrick’s Day. The restaurant had several empty tables, perhaps because its usual crowd gravitated toward an actual Irish pub for the evening. I’m not sure why the TripAdvisor reviews are so divided, but at least two of the reviews had references indicating that the writers had been at the Washington DC location, rather than the Shirlington one. So I should state that I did go to the restaurant in Shirlington.

Our waiter, Sean, advised that he had not changed his name just for the day. He arrived promptly to take our drink orders and then returned with our dinner orders without a long wait. The warm soft pretzels, accompanied by a horse radish dipping sauce, really hit the spot. I ordered “flat iron steak,” substituting sweet potato fries for the standard smashed potatoes with no problem. The steak was flavorful and cooked just right. Two others at our table ordered one of the St. Patrick’s Day specials, corned beef with cabbage. The order came with a generous slice of corned beef and an eighth of a head of boiled cabbage. The rest of our party liked their orders.

The portions are generous, but not huge, so an appetizer from an appealing selection would not be too much. I hankered for the calamari and wished I had ordered it, or a bowl of the Irish stew special for the evening. I liked my beer special brew as did everyone else who ordered beer. Best of all was the price, although no one had dessert. Five of us treated a couple and, even so, the tab came to $36 per person, tip included. I’m not sure why others are so critical about the food, but, while not very creative, all the dishes seem competently prepared and quite tasty. At the price, who could complain?

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Everyone has certain things they look for in a restaurant and I am no different. One of my favorite places is one that provides quality beers and good food that goes with that beverage. Capital City brewing is such a place. There is a horseshoe shaped bar that surrounds the brewing tanks. The variety and quality of beer is very good and there are many choices of foods for every palate. the bar tenders are attentive and do their best to make you feel welcome whether a first time visitor or a regular. I am often in the area on business and those trips always include an evening at this fine establishment.