“OK but not perfect”

Ranked #132 of 896 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: We've been serving our wood-only barbeque to loyal DC-area fans since 1990. The story starts before that, though: John Snedden started barbequeing whole pigs when he was in college. (Aren't we all glad he changed his plans and did not become a doctor?)
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

The place is nice - pick ok tables outside, big parking lot.

The BBQ sauce tastes jarred. The Mac & Cheese was so creamery it was like cheese soup with pasta. Weird.

I went because its across the street from my friends office. I wouldn't drive out of my way for it, that's for sure!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Rocklands is a nice little barbecue joint in the Virginia Square area. The atmosphere is great and the food is good. Have been going to this place for years...even when it was located down near the Ballston area.

I am from Texas and prefer beef barbecue. Rocklands is Virginia barbecue with a focus on the pig. Not my preference, but they do make a mean pulled pork sandwich! It is also fun to hang around the bar and talk to the bartender.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I took friends from out of town here tonight, this was a big mistake!

The baby back ribs were cold and mealy.
The spare ribs were under cooked and cold.

The side of collars had a good taste the coleslaw is different yet has a good flavor.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

my condo association used rocklands for an event there were 75 people there
all the food was very good in fact now I would prabably go and eat there when I am craving
barbecue since there is one close by

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I wanted to write a great review of this place. After passing it often for two years, I pulled in for lunch. Good barbecue atmosphere, great staff, great prices. It was all good until I received my pulled chicken sandwich with baked beans and mashed potatoes. It was like the beans and potatoes were scooped from a vat. Just ordinary. The sandwich bun was fresh and there was enough chicken, but it also was ordinary. I'm willing to give them one more chance, maybe something else on the menu works. But otherwise it's just another place.