“Great value for great steaks”
Review of Ray's the Steaks

Ray's the Steaks
Reserve with OpenTable
Ray's the Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 880 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Austin, Texas
“Great value for great steaks”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I've been going to Ray's for a long time and it generally never disappoints. The steaks are cooked perfectly (and when they're not, they fix it immediately). The crab bisque is great, though has much less crab than it did a few years ago. Wine list is reasonably priced and well varied. Service at my most recent visit (a dinner with 6 colleagues) was very good. They even have a nice vegetarian option. Overall, I keep coming back here because it's such a good value for the money and a nice night out.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank PackLightTravelHeavy

• Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not Really Impressive”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have to say that I was ready to be wowed by Ray's the Steaks in Arlington. I was there fore business dinner and was really ready for some good steak. I would say I got an above average steak at an average restaurant. Yes it was packed on a Tuesday night, but I really wonder how many were there only because of the cachet that comes with the "Ray's" name in DC these days.

In any case, the first strike was that there are no draft beers and the bottled beer selection is very, very limited -- under ten choices. And they don't even have chilled glasses t ogo wit hthe beer. In any case, I got the Dortmunder gold, which is always a good beer, so i was at least satisfied on that front. (I should note here that the wine list is completely the opposite. excellent range of choices across the menu.)

I first ordered what sounded great -- the applewood bacon and blue cheese salad. Now i can tolerate a lot with salads and maybe the restaurant should get some creativity points, but cutting a head of iceberg lettuce into quarters, slathering one corner with blue cheese dressing, and then sprinkling one strip of bacon on top, with 5 cherry tomatoes and 5 slices of radish just seems lazy, uninspired, and uniformly disappointing.

On to the steak. I ordered the filet. it was not bad, but i have definitely had more tender filets at other restaurants in the past. I also very much dislike the "family style" servings of mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. Again, i think that goes to laziness. The lack of choices for side orders is stunning.

Finally, I cannot believe the lack of a functional website for this place. Maybe they are embarrassed about the menu, or lack thereof?

All in all, however, my party was happy and satisfied. No real grumbling at all and the service was fast and smooth. Only quibble is the lack of a real coat hanging area -- a simple rack with white plastic hangers looks beyond cheap, as if i were in a 1980s pizza joint.

I really wanted to like this place. I didn't. And that's too bad.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Epic_Winter_1
Atlanta, Georgia
“It was a fine steak”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Thank you to the ladies and gentlemen that served us a few nights ago. The service was wonderful as after dinner, one of the hosts stepped into the street to call a taxi for our party. That was certainly more than anyone would typically do and we appreciate his kindness.
The steaks were tasty and the price appropriate to the food served. The food was quite good but it certainly was not the best steak I had ever had.
The decor was not what I was expecting for a steak house institution. The new-construction type atmosphere was a little disappointing. But the restaurant was clean and well-tended to. It was nice for one visit but with all the great restaurants in the area, I'd head elsewhere in the future.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank DarbyStone
Arlington, Texas
“Cut Through The Hype”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We were singularly unimpressed across the board: food quality, service and value. The steak was not of any quality, and certainly not a value for the price. The rest of the dishes were simple, ordinary and just ok. The waiter we had was arrogant and got one of the dishes wrong -- pretty hard to do with such simple fare and a simple request. I know the hype and that people want to love Ray's, but when you cut through it all, there's just not much there. Sorry to write a not glowing review, but there was no basis for one. Haven't been back.

• Visited October 2013
Bosnia and Herzegovina
“Best value for steaks in DC area”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Lots of great reviews here that give you a good idea of what to expect, but I want to point out that this is probably the best deal for really great steaks in the DC area. I was pleasantly surprised at the prices vs. value. You won't break the bank here, but you'll eat like you did. We tried five different toppings and meats--each one was superb. Wine list was excellent--well matched to the carnivore menu.

• Visited December 2013